Convinced now it's Bevell?

getnasty

Reaction score
I don't think people understand just how bad our OL is, it's easy to say GB has had a bad OL and still put up great numbers but GB line has never been close to this bad. Also GB has a different mindset on offense, they'll go uptempo, they'll throw the ball 75% of the time, they'll take chances. Pete's philosophy is more ball control, play it safe, run first, just don't lose the game. Those differences alone are gonna effect offensive numbers in a big way. The OL is the biggest problem and it's not even close, weather it's Cable or just the FO rolling the dice on cheap OL to allocate money elsewhere it isn't working. The bigger question is what is there plan to fix it?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
getnasty":3ou5z1u8 said:
I don't think people understand just how bad our OL is, it's easy to say GB has had a bad OL and still put up great numbers but GB line has never been close to this bad. Also GB has a different mindset on offense, they'll go uptempo, they'll throw the ball 75% of the time, they'll take chances. Pete's philosophy is more ball control, play it safe, run first, just don't lose the game. Those differences alone are gonna effect offensive numbers in a big way. The OL is the biggest problem and it's not even close, weather it's Cable or just the FO rolling the dice on cheap OL to allocate money elsewhere it isn't working. The bigger question is what is there plan to fix it?

Great post.

You hit it on the head...the stubbornness to change our style. They have to know the line sucks...why does it take more than half a game to adjust??

They went to a quick passing game in the second half vs Arizona, and they shredded.

The O line is by far the epicenter of this team's struggles, way above Bevell, Cable, etc. It MUST be fixed.

getnasty

Reaction score
It will definitely be interesting to see if there willing to go uptempo? I'd love to see them give it a try for a series or two early this week. Pete has to understand that this defense while still great isn't the same with Earl not back there. No question the offense is gonna have to do there share to have any success in the Playoffs. I don't necessarily want them to abandon there philosophy maybe just tweak it a bit.

mrt144

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1vu8rys6 said:
getnasty":1vu8rys6 said:

Great post.

You hit it on the head...the stubbornness to change our style. They have to know the line sucks...why does it take more than half a game to adjust??

They went to a quick passing game in the second half vs Arizona, and they shredded.

The O line is by far the epicenter of this team's struggles, way above Bevell, Cable, etc. It MUST be fixed.

On the one hand - You must practice what you are not proficient at to improve upon what you are not proficient at.
On the other hand - Win a freaking game by scoring some damn points.

Ozzy

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":kcvg62km said:
getnasty":kcvg62km said:

Great post.

I'm not a huge fan of Bevell or Cable but totally agree the line is far and away the biggest problem we have. With even a slightly below average league line we are a great offense. I'm in the camp that it has more to do with our skill players than the coaching but regardless it works. Fix the line and we are totally fine on that side of the ball.

A

Anonymous

Wanna hear something REALLY crazy?

That two-point conversion pass play to Reese...

Exact same play as was intercepted by Butler in XLIX, but this time was ran to the left side.

How's about them apples?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":nw4hthzf said:

Exact same play as was intercepted by Butler in XLIX, but this time was ran to the left side.

How's about them apples?

Good point. I noticed that too. I also noticed the personnel group that was in. See how a play works when the correct personnel is utilized. That wasn't the case in SB49. Similar play but different results.

mikeak

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1j65nutp said:
HoustonHawk82":1j65nutp said:

How's about them apples?

Good point. I noticed that too. I also noticed the personnel group that was in. See how a play works when the correct personnel is utilized. That wasn't the case in SB49. Similar play but different results.

I recognized the play immediately but didn't run it back (was cooking Christmas eve dinner). Was the starting formation really the exact same? Ie obvious passing play?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
mikeak":3ky35rcb said:
hawkfan68":3ky35rcb said:
HoustonHawk82":3ky35rcb said:

How's about them apples?

I recognized the play immediately but didn't run it back (was cooking Christmas eve dinner). Was the starting formation really the exact same? Ie obvious passing play?

It seemed like the similar formation but using Reece, instead of Lockette as in SB48, and on the left side rather than the right. Here's link to the video - http://www.seahawks.com/video/2016/12/24/marcel-reece-converts-2-point-try

cymatica

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":2p31hju0 said:

How's about them apples?

No it wasn't. The sb play had a running back next to Wilson, this was empty set. The outside receiver here(reece) ran a slant inside, while the slot receiver ran out, looked like a pick play. The sb play had both receivers run towards the middle, Kearse was supposed to keep Butler from having a free path to the ball. Also, Baldwin here was lined up next to the tackle after motion. Looked like a completely different play to me

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3gfeqcww said:
Largent80":3gfeqcww said:
Why didn't the offense show up to play?......Should I use large caps?

ARIZONAS defensive line was OWNING the Seahawks.

It is that simple, it isn't anything other than that. Not RW, not RB's, not Kearse (who made an incredible catch), and most certainly NOT Bevell.

It's time for fans that think they know it all to start where the problem is. And that is, a team simply cannot keep throwing untalented people on the offensive line. And also Cable is the man that is supposedly coaching whatever he is given.

It's like he has to sit down with a tub of Turtle Wax and microfiber cloths and begin polishing the turds that J.S. and Pete and all of their scouts in charge of talent evaluation give him.

Trying to keep the defense elite has made the line inoperable. Band aid fixes are failing. Place your blame in the correct place.
So if your offensive line is having trouble what do you do? You adjust. This is many people's main gripe against Bevell. The Packers for example have had a piss poor offensive line for years now, yet have always fielded a top 10 offense, even in an off year for them. Now, how might they be able to do this? The answer is simple, adjustments -- something our offense does at the speed of a speeding glacier.

The Packers compensate by using misdirection plays, quick passing games, and letting their big receivers/playmakers go up and get the ball. Our offense by comparison keeps running routes that take a long time to develop. We keep running deep crosses, fades, deep post routes with limited opportunity for a checkdown. Sometimes Russell Wilson freaking has the ball for over 4 seconds, that is insane, and it is not something you can rely on. This is partially why our two minute offense tends to move the ball effortlessly -- We tend to go with a quicker tempo, and get the ball out of our QB's hands quicker. Just look at what Rodgers did to the Seahawks last time we played them. The tempo was upbeat, and he took advantage of mismatches when we couldn't substitute. This is something I rarely see the Seahawks do, but when we do it seems to work. We have the personnel to run this type of offense, but we just don't.

My last gripe here about Bevell is that he takes forever to get the call in. It always seems to come in at the last second leaving little room for adjustments, or audibles. This runs contrary to what top offenses do in the NFL. A good offense must build a rhythm, we rely solely on Wilson's scrambling ability to make big explosive plays it seems. That isn't a good way to structure an offense, that isn't a good way to keep your defense off the field. It's a great way to get your QB murdered, especially behind a shakey line however.

Oh, and I lied my last gripe is GRAHAM. Why the hell aren't we using him more in the passing game? It seems I only see the guy a handful of plays, even as a blocker. We only use him sparingly in the endzone. Why did we even pay for the man if he isn't going to play almost every down? Graham should be out there on almost every play, much like Doug Baldwin is. I don't care if it is a five wide set, play Graham as a wide receiver in that situation. NO did that all of the time and it created big mismatches. I hardly ever see him used as a wide receiver it seems. Compare Graham's usage in NO to the way he is used here and it is sickening. We are wasting talent.

Packers get to play by another set of NFL rules as well but thats for a different topic :pukeface:

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
getnasty":cbyb0hny said:

Except for the fact that GB has a very good offensive line.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/why-the-green-bay-packers-offensive-line-is-the-real-mvp-122916
http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/12/15/packers-offensive-line-unsung-heroes-offense/

Agree main problem is our Oline. We played very up tempo last year, the difference is I think teams were still concerned with our run game. Now, not so much and teams are game planning our fast pace. Just blitz the crap out of us and play tight cover 2 zone.

Latest posts