Convinced now it's Bevell?

cymatica

Reaction score
pacific101":99aq3s0g said:
why in Gods name would you blame Bevell for this last loss to Arizona, the offense was great, the defense failed us in this one. Sheesh, every game ends with Bevell and now Kearse haters, Kearse helped the Seahawks big time in this last game, that pass he came down with in the end zone is a Kearse signature play.

The offense was horrible in the first half. I dont understand how you can defend Bevell when they came out flat and didn't get going until late in the game. How about the 7 play goal line disaster? Or a 4th and 1 read option when the run wasn't there all day. 3rd and long fullback draw? At least put Baldwin in space and give a playmaker a chance there.

Kearse having one great catch doesn't make up for a bad season. His opi took away the first play of the game, which was a great gain, and we know what happened after that.

Largent80

Reaction score
cymatica":3p8lpybz said:
pacific101":3p8lpybz said:
why in Gods name would you blame Bevell for this last loss to Arizona, the offense was great, the defense failed us in this one. Sheesh, every game ends with Bevell and now Kearse haters, Kearse helped the Seahawks big time in this last game, that pass he came down with in the end zone is a Kearse signature play.

The offense was horrible in the first half. I dont understand how you can defend Bevell when they came out flat and didn't get going until late in the game.

You don't blame Bevell because AZ's Defense showed up to play and OWNED the line of scrimmage, people wanting to blame Bevell just have an agenda and it's comical.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":ruwautye said:
Sgt. Largent":ruwautye said:
So maybe the real problem is Pete and John have failed with restocking the team with the same depth it had 2-3 years ago. That's certainly the case with the O-line.

Pete and John haven't necessarily failed with restocking the team on the offensive line. We addressed offensive line hugely this last draft. We drafted more offensive linemen than probably most on this board thought we would. The depth is there; it's just not quality depth. Why?

Cable got the guys he wanted--said so himself. He got the guys he wanted to shape into outstanding protection for Wilson. And yet they're performing like turnstiles. That, to me, is indicative of a failure on Cable's part more than anyone else on the team.

Cable always gets the guys he wanted, clear back to Carpenter and Moffitt. Could be why only 1 out of 14 OL picks (so far) has been kept beyond their rookie contract.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Grahamhawker":2jjn2286 said:
Seahawk Sailor":2jjn2286 said:
Sgt. Largent":2jjn2286 said:
So maybe the real problem is Pete and John have failed with restocking the team with the same depth it had 2-3 years ago. That's certainly the case with the O-line.

Pete and John haven't necessarily failed with restocking the team on the offensive line. We addressed offensive line hugely this last draft. We drafted more offensive linemen than probably most on this board thought we would. The depth is there; it's just not quality depth. Why?

Cable got the guys he wanted--said so himself. He got the guys he wanted to shape into outstanding protection for Wilson. And yet they're performing like turnstiles. That, to me, is indicative of a failure on Cable's part more than anyone else on the team.

Cable always gets the guys he wanted, clear back to Carpenter and Moffitt. Could be why only 1 out of 14 OL picks (so far) has been kept beyond their rookie contract.

I'm sensing a pattern here. 8)

cymatica

Reaction score
Largent80":jvu9h36u said:
cymatica":jvu9h36u said:
pacific101":jvu9h36u said:

The offense was horrible in the first half. I dont understand how you can defend Bevell when they came out flat and didn't get going until late in the game.

You don't blame Bevell because AZ's Defense showed up to play and OWNED the line of scrimmage, people wanting to blame Bevell just have an agenda and it's comical.

Agenda? Why would I have an agenda, i just watch the game and post on forums, I have zero to gain here except to some knowledge.

Why didn't our offense show up to play? What about an up tempo quick pass gameplan to help against a d-line that gives us fits? Sure, there's blame to pass around, it's definetely not all on Bevell, but some of it is. There were some pretty boneheaded decisions involving playcalls in this game that didn't take into account how the game was going. There have also been comments about his route concepts in the past having no rhyme or reason while being simplistic, that would sure explain while opposing db's can man up and plaster our wr's.

Largent80

Reaction score
Why didn't the offense show up to play?......Should I use large caps?

ARIZONAS defensive line was OWNING the Seahawks.

It is that simple, it isn't anything other than that. Not RW, not RB's, not Kearse (who made an incredible catch), and most certainly NOT Bevell.

It's time for fans that think they know it all to start where the problem is. And that is, a team simply cannot keep throwing untalented people on the offensive line. And also Cable is the man that is supposedly coaching whatever he is given.

It's like he has to sit down with a tub of Turtle Wax and microfiber cloths and begin polishing the turds that J.S. and Pete and all of their scouts in charge of talent evaluation give him.

Trying to keep the defense elite has made the line inoperable. Band aid fixes are failing. Place your blame in the correct place.

cymatica

Reaction score
Gotcha, the only problem was the AZ d-line owning the o-line. Nothing else at all mattered. The 4th down goal line PA was smart and a 4th down option was too. If the o-line is doing bad, just run the same offense. Got it

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Largent80":2mz4ldjp said:
It's time for fans that think they know it all to start where the problem is. And that is, a team simply cannot keep throwing untalented people on the offensive line. And also Cable is the man that is supposedly coaching whatever he is given.

It's like he has to sit down with a tub of Turtle Wax and microfiber cloths and begin polishing the turds that J.S. and Pete and all of their scouts in charge of talent evaluation give him.

Trying to keep the defense elite has made the line inoperable. Band aid fixes are failing. Place your blame in the correct place.

Place the blame in the correct place? Tom Cable has had say in the offensive line since he's been here. He's gotten the players he's gone after. It's his preferences for the offensive line that they're catering to.

So... if Cable is getting exactly what he wants for the offensive line, and they're turnstiles after he's done with them... where should we place that blame?

randomation

Reaction score
pacific101":1in0yrve said:

Because the offense had an awe inspiring 1 yard in the first quarter? Because by half time Russ had been sacked five times? Maybe if Bevell hadn't been calling idiocy the first half we could have won going way seeing what we did in the second half.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":12tcnk1t said:
Sgt. Largent":12tcnk1t said:

This last draft yes, but if the writing was on the wall 2-3 years ago that we weren't going to be able to keep guys like Sweezy, Okung, Carp and Unger then we should have been drafting their replacements years ago..........and not having to rely on Cable to work miracles on dudes off the league scrap heap.

This O-line is literally THE reason we're not playing well, and haven't been the team we're used to seeing. That's a planning failure, which means Pete and John to me. Any GM and coach project the roster and cap out years, they should have seen this coming.

Ozzy

Reaction score
pacific101":2ax9inib said:

It's really not a signature Kearse play considering its his first one in 15 games. The reason people hate on Kearse is because his signature play is target after target with almost no catches and being last in the NFL in that regard. Dropping catchable contested balls. Giving up on plays looking for a PI instead of fighting til the end to make the catch regardless if he's being held etc. I've never been a huge fan of kearse and was involved in a multiple page thread debating his last contract where I thought it was a terrible signing. But having said that he's been much better than he has been this year and he's capable of playing better for sure. His TD catch against AZ was fantastic and I want nothing more than for him to prove me wrong every single week and be huge for this team.

The whole Bevell debate is tiresome because honestly there are good arguments on both sides. We won't fully know until he's gone and we see how things go. I tend to think he holds this team back a little and isn't a very good situational play caller at times but he's also capable of doing some really good things.

Edit: I wasn't totally fair on signature Kearse. He has made some great plays. HIs TD in the Super Bowl against Denver is one of my favorite plays in Seahawks history.

mikeak

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3qpobn9w said:
Largent80":3qpobn9w said:

Place the blame in the correct place? Tom Cable has had say in the offensive line since he's been here. He's gotten the players he's gone after. It's his preferences for the offensive line that they're catering to.

So... if Cable is getting exactly what he wants for the offensive line, and they're turnstiles after he's done with them... where should we place that blame?

How is it Cable's fault that we don't resign Sweezy, Okung, Carp and Unger?

If they were out of the league I would get the argument but players that gets signed by other teams for more money (Okung can still be argued got more money if he can stay on that contract) can't be blamed on the OL coach - that is up to Schneider and Pete

SeaChat

Reaction score
Where do you draw your line. In one breath you are blaming Bevell for the failure of the offensive line to execute the plays Bevell called into them in the first half. Was it the plays that Bevell called in that was the problem or was it a really good defence doing their job, or was it our offense not being in sync and just not executing the right plays like they did in the second half?
I mean it was after all Darrell that was calling plays in during the second half, that got us out of the hole and tied with a chance to win. I said that Bevell and our offensive line did a great job in this game. To have put up 31 points against the Arizona defence is no small feat. The one big difference between the first and second half, was Alex Collins, who looked like the running back we drafted was supposed to look. As far as I'm concerned, unless Rawls can really turn it around, Collins might have just earned his place as the next best RB for the Seahawks the rest of this season anyways.

If our defense had been firing on all eight out there, Arizona wouldn't have been able to put up half the points they did, and we would have walked out of there with a convincing win instead of a narrow loss. We also would be praising Kearse for once again coming down with the ball when we needed him to the most, which has been his MO since coming to the Seahawks. And we would be talking about what a great job Bevell and the Seahawks offensive line did in adjusting to the Arizona defence and putting them away with a convincing lead.

I am really concerned about Houschka who's just plain off this season. I keep thinking he'll pull it all back together, but he has cost us big several times this year when we really needed him to get it right. I hate to think it, but if he can't get around whatever is going on with him we may have to find ourselves a new foot.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
mikeak":3ls6e1no said:
Seahawk Sailor":3ls6e1no said:
Largent80":3ls6e1no said:

How is it Cable's fault that we don't resign Sweezy, Okung, Carp and Unger?

If they were out of the league I would get the argument but players that gets signed by other teams for more money (Okung can still be argued got more money if he can stay on that contract) can't be blamed on the OL coach - that is up to Schneider and Pete

I gather you believe that Cable has no input and influence over personnel decisions that impact him? I highly doubt that PC/JS are off in their own world and not including Cable or Bevell in personnel decisions regarding the offense.

Why would Cable (or any other person for that matter) remain in a job where they are not valued by their bosses? Where their bosses put them in a position to fail rather than succeed. Not signing Okung, Sweezy, etc hampered Cable's group. As experienced as Cable is, do you not agree he would have quit rather than stick around had he not agreed with the moves that were made (at least a little agreement)? Do you feel Cable is a robot and will take what is given, has no mind but just will follow orders? If the latter is the case, then even more reason why Cable needs to go.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Largent80":11ech8f1 said:
Why didn't the offense show up to play?......Should I use large caps?

ARIZONAS defensive line was OWNING the Seahawks.

It is that simple, it isn't anything other than that. Not RW, not RB's, not Kearse (who made an incredible catch), and most certainly NOT Bevell.

So if your offensive line is having trouble what do you do? You adjust. This is many people's main gripe against Bevell. The Packers for example have had a piss poor offensive line for years now, yet have always fielded a top 10 offense, even in an off year for them. Now, how might they be able to do this? The answer is simple, adjustments -- something our offense does at the speed of a speeding glacier.

The Packers compensate by using misdirection plays, quick passing games, and letting their big receivers/playmakers go up and get the ball. Our offense by comparison keeps running routes that take a long time to develop. We keep running deep crosses, fades, deep post routes with limited opportunity for a checkdown. Sometimes Russell Wilson freaking has the ball for over 4 seconds, that is insane, and it is not something you can rely on. This is partially why our two minute offense tends to move the ball effortlessly -- We tend to go with a quicker tempo, and get the ball out of our QB's hands quicker. Just look at what Rodgers did to the Seahawks last time we played them. The tempo was upbeat, and he took advantage of mismatches when we couldn't substitute. This is something I rarely see the Seahawks do, but when we do it seems to work. We have the personnel to run this type of offense, but we just don't.

My last gripe here about Bevell is that he takes forever to get the call in. It always seems to come in at the last second leaving little room for adjustments, or audibles. This runs contrary to what top offenses do in the NFL. A good offense must build a rhythm, we rely solely on Wilson's scrambling ability to make big explosive plays it seems. That isn't a good way to structure an offense, that isn't a good way to keep your defense off the field. It's a great way to get your QB murdered, especially behind a shakey line however.

Oh, and I lied my last gripe is GRAHAM. Why the hell aren't we using him more in the passing game? It seems I only see the guy a handful of plays, even as a blocker. We only use him sparingly in the endzone. Why did we even pay for the man if he isn't going to play almost every down? Graham should be out there on almost every play, much like Doug Baldwin is. I don't care if it is a five wide set, play Graham as a wide receiver in that situation. NO did that all of the time and it created big mismatches. I hardly ever see him used as a wide receiver it seems. Compare Graham's usage in NO to the way he is used here and it is sickening. We are wasting talent.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Graham could get used more in the passing game, someone else may step up to provide the sorely needed blocking that Graham has been providing, etc. Hopefully he along with our real ace ADB and a potentially effective PRich can give RW good target options. Prosise too.

But despite fewer targets over the past 3 games than normal here's the thing: Graham already has > 60 catches for > 850 yards, a very far cry from him being AWOL or ignored. He is still in second place on the team as a pass catcher.

Largent80

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":32vuvsx3 said:
Largent80":32vuvsx3 said:

So, blame Cable then. At least you are getting in the right direction. Others simply think it's so easy to just change an entire offense to suit a shitty O-Line. It has been PROVEN that the method of that is epic FAIL.

Leee-roy

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3rw5dbvg said:
Nothing was working. And I doubt his play calls involve letting defensive linemen to rush into the backfield immediately untouched.
isn't that how Cable's zone blocking works? Let them come into the backfield and then decide who to block?