Could Kap be our back up?

Rat

Reaction score
I don’t think it would be a “headache” and we’re definitely one of the best-equipped teams in the league to deal with extra media attention.

I just don’t think he would accept a contract commensurate to the level of play he was at the last time he played, combined with the layoff. I hate to be cynical, because he has done a tremendous deal for a good cause, but I find myself siding with those who think he doesn’t really want to be in the NFL, but wants it to LOOK like he’s still trying.

andyh64000

Reaction score
He has been out of the league for 3 years, I don't think can make it back at this point. He was screwed over for sure...I guess at least we were forward thinking enough to bring him in for a look.

Donn2390

Reaction score
For someone who "enjoys the game, not the politics or the personalities" you sure wrote a lot about politics and not much about the game.

I hope every player and coach on every team kneels for the anthem at every game.[/quote]
If that is what you got out of my post it would seem you have a problem with reading comprehension. Sorry about that..!
Stick with kap and that will be the least of your problems...

Smellyman

Reaction score
he could be, but won't be, nor should he be.

He is light years better than Geno and his 29 tds and 36 ints, but a Wilson backup shouldn't be invested into too much.

Give Gordon the shot and let him hold the clipboard for some years on the cheap.

Atradees

Reaction score
Kap was on a trajectory to be decent with Harbaugh then he quit football. Now he is simply a sideshow. He should run for office or something.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I doubt it,

He was looked at and passed upon by the the team and another year has passed eroding his skills which were never really arm talent based.

He did get screwed over by the NFL and the ‘Old Boy’ network of the league but truth known he really wasn’t that talented to begin with. Any job he gets would be a backup job and the media attention brought with him could outweigh any benefit in signing him.

Looking at his situation it is clear he was a martyr to a cause not well understood by his articulation of it by him. He was right and sadly paid an unfair price for being right. I suspect he never plays in the NFL again, yet is honoured by the league as a way of further righting the wrong visited upon him for taking a political position. I appreciate this will appear cynical but can be spun.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Haven't read the thread, Kaep made a huge sacrifice for others, and he's good enough to be a real threat at qb under competent coaching. He knows this, and maybe he doesn't want to take less money to be a swiss army knife to play in a racist league?

That being said, one place it might work is Seatle, we're progressive - relatively speaking - but isn't he from the east coast?

I feel he has bigger fish to fry, so wherever he goes and whatever he chooses to do will be in that interest, I feel he is right. Sacrificing what less than 1% of incredibly gifted people get to only dream about. I hope he continues to advance the conversation, football is a lot smaller.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
NFL teams must finally treat Colin Kaepernick like any other available player
Posted by Mike Florio on June 8, 2020, 11:13 AM EDT

SNIP

To get an equal shot, at least one owner will have to not care about the consequences of doing the right thing. Many people worth far less money than the average NFL owner are currently making decisions and taking action without regard to consequences. If the NFL wants to convert Commissioner Roger Goodell’s Friday night words into meaningful and tangible change, the first step will be to to stop treating Kaepernick like a pariah and to subject him to the same merit-based assessments that happen all the time in the NFL, with players being hired and fired and hired and fired and at all times evaluated based solely on what they can do to help a team win.

From Kaepernick’s perspective, it won’t be easy. He’ll have to find a way to set aside his inherent (and justified) mistrust of the league. And given the fact that he hasn’t played for so long, he’ll have to take whatever he can get financially, at least until he re-establishes himself.

Regardless, the image of Kaepernick in an NFL uniform again (whether he actually plays or not) would be powerful, and helpful, at this unique and fragile time in American history. He should get the opportunity to wear a uniform only if his current talents truly merit it, but it’s likely when considering some of the names already on NFL rosters that he could roll out of bed on any given day and be more talented and accomplished than plenty of them.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... le-player/

nwHawk

Reaction score
If a team wants to sign him, they should be able to do so. But ask Clowney if you can force demands on other teams and get your way. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it backfires. These are businesses. They all have decide what might work best short and long term. Due to the amount of time he has been out of action, he might have a hard time reaching his old standard. Don't wish anyone any I'll will, it's just reality.

Largent80

Reaction score
Everything before covid is moot except for the kneeling protest. It's taken a real meaning now and Kap is the Captain.

Rat

Reaction score
I don't doubt that Kaepernick has been screwed over by the system, which is unfortunate, but there's a lot more to it than many people realize (not calling out anyone in this thread). It's not simply a matter of "team's don't like his politics".

Focus and chemistry have become increasingly important over the years (look at how teams are basically forced to participate in "Hard Knocks"). If you're going to bring a media circus with you, whether for good reasons (Tim Tebow) or bad (Mike Vick), you had better be cheap, and you had better be damn good. When Vick went to prison, he was still considered a high-end player, and despite being just 29 when he got out, he still drew very little interest, and had to settle for a backup job at a fraction of his previous contract. Kaepernick is three years older now than Vick was then, has been out of football longer (last played four seasons ago), has shown no indication that he's willing to settle for pennies on the dollar that he thinks he's worth, and in his most recent season, he was benched for Blaine Gabbert. It's not really surprising that he's struggling to find a job.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sign him to a team with an established franchise QB and EVERY Kaepernick fan out there will scream that he's being buried.

Chapow

Reaction score
Basis4day":9i2ak88o said:
From a pure football perspective, you’re in denial if you don’t think that Kaepernick is better than quite a few of the starting qbs in the NFL.

How could anyone possibly presume to know that at this point?

It's not just the fact that he hasn't played in the NFL in 3 years, it's the fact that he hasn't even been on an NFL team in 3 years. That means no NFL coaching in 3 years, no NFL practices in 3 years, no NFL strength and conditioning program in 3 years, no NFL film study with NFL coaches in 3 years, and on and on.

The last time Kaepernick was a good starting QB in the NFL was 2014. He was benched for Blaine Gabbert in 2015. The 9ers had a new head coach in 2016 and went into training camp with an open competition for starting QB. Kaepernick lost that competition to Blaine Gabbert. Kaepernick didn't start until week 6, and even then it was only because Gabbert was playing so poorly. Kaepernick was benched again in week 13 due to poor play before being renamed the starter for week 14.

Maybe he can still play in the NFL, maybe, but we really don't know that. It's entirely possible that a 32 year old that hasn't been a good player since 2014, and hasn't even been in the league since 2016, just isn't good enough anymore. Even for a backup role. Most NFL players have to work damn hard to be good enough to be in the NFL, even the fringe roster players. What has Kaep been doing the last 3+ years? I don't really know, but I do know it hasn't been working his ass off to be good enough to play in the NFL.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I think they are just talking to get points or whatever people do to get approval from the internet. Plus I really don’t think kaep wants to play. If he did and it looked like he sucked he wouldn’t make as much money being a activist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AgentDib

Reaction score
We already brought Kaep in for a look at the backup spot. He wasn't interested in backup QB salary and then named us in his lawsuit.

Nothing has changed since then and this remains a political discussion rather than a football discussion.

ballard1951

Reaction score
I support Black lives matter, but I don't think Kaep is good enough, and a deal with him would make a lot of disturbing noise.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
ballard1951":3c20pzd0 said:
I support Black lives matter, but I don't think Kaep is good enough, and a deal with him would make a lot of disturbing noise.

Politics...

The Breh

Reaction score
Whatever team gets him will get a solidarity boost.
3 less years of hits and tread on the wheels.
I'd love to see what he can bring.
For someone who would spend a lot of time holding a clipboard, he would bring immeasurable gratitude and respect among his brothers on the team.
Business perspective wise, there will be shitloads of jerseys sold.

The Breh

Reaction score
The Breh":ptid2ump said:
Whatever team gets him will get a solidarity boost.
3 less years of hits and tread on the wheels.
I'd love to see what he can bring.
For someone who would spend a lot of time holding a clipboard, he would bring immeasurable gratitude and respect among his brothers on the team.
Business perspective wise, there will be a $h!t load of jerseys sold.