Could Kap be our back up?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
But what if he isn't any good? What if he literally is outplayed by Geno? What then?

Maybe he is a Vick, who came back from a 2-year hiatus to put up some decent numbers (after basically a redshirt 1st season back), or maybe he really isn't any better than the other options. At this point we really don't know. (I suspect he's better than, at least, half the current backups, but I can't know for certain)

It would be great to bring him in for an evaluation, but what do you do if he either has lost it, or he just isn't a good fit for the team? How do you cut the guy?

Honestly, I think that is a way bigger problem for Kaep than anything. I suspect there are several teams that would love to bring him on board (at this point). But the risk of what happens if he doesn't make the cut is probably too high.

I think this is the real conundrum for GMs at this point, even if it can be argued that it is a problem otheir own making.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Seattle did have him in for a look, he wasn’t worth what he was asking for back then. The Hawks got a look at what he was then, and passed on him. He was never widely recognized for his arm and hasn’t thrown in an NFL system for a very long time, and that skill which is critically important for the position is a diminishing skill. I don’t know if he still has the ability to play at a high level.

It’s true the league screwed him over, but he was an active participant of sorts. For him the time wasn’t right to continue his protest though it should have beenAs is clear to most every sensible person Nothing is for free, and he has burned a lot of bridges, those issues would need to be sorted out prior to him being given a chance to prove he still can play. The price would need to fit his circumstances as well. He will need to prove his skill is worth adding or he will be another athletic QB who remains out of work.

I don’t truly know if he genuinely wants to return on anything but his terms, perhaps there is little chance there is a franchise that wants to pay his price in terms of pure cost benefit. It’s on him now to show he wants to return. The time for that is now to show he can still play. If he does he would still only be signed for a back up gig, that job is paid less than a starting job.

His situation is an interesting social science case study. I wish him nothing but good luck.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
slateman77":t00pmf29 said:
Wouldn't that be something..?? If someone were to tell you back in 2013/2014 that Sherm would be a digit and Kap a Hawk...What would you have said...??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

I would have said let's turn that around and we'll be a better team. Still would. But I don't think we an afford either of them.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Donn2390":3k8wjov6 said:
I don't think there is any chance he is picked up by the Hawks or anyone else. Not only does he still bring a very bad vibe and lost revenue, but I would be surprised if he could make the team. He wasn't good when he left and a three year vacation doesn't help.
Those facts along with the fact I don't think he wants to play, being an activist pays better and is more fun. It's easier to say I'm good than to have to prove it and fall on your face in embarrassment.
I hope he never plays another down anywhere. If players are now allowed to kneel I will be done watching football, along with millions of others. If they wish to stay in the locker room and leave their political views completely out of site, that could work. I enjoy the game, not the politics or the personalities..

He only brought a bad vibe to those who made kneeling about the flag and politics. It's those folks who made it political. He never made a political statement. He made a plea to look at police brutality before the game started, and it was brief and respectful. From that point on, it was all football.

I remember him running rampant against the later versions of the legion of boom. Dude had game, but his football sense was sometimes questionable. He is better than a lot of starters in the game, and should easily have a job if others didnt bring politics into it. If you really mean what you say about football being football, then you sir need to leave politics out of it.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
They are getting Geno at a bargain rate. Very close, if not, at vet minimum. No way would Colin sign at that level. There are other pressing needs than a backup QB. I'd rather see the money spent on those than overspending on a backup QB who won't do more than hold a clipboard. Geno is exactly what is needed and at the right price.

xray

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2pgqf9p9 said:
Pass. Hasn't played in 3 years.

And may I add to that ?...Maybe he doesn't want to play . Why would he want to...he's doing just fine without playin... but a backup to Wilson would be some easy bread when you think about it .

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
xray":29k7u7rn said:
The Hawks have Smith already . I also think that Anthony Gordon will be a surprise in camp .
Very possible. Practice squad, and then hopefully develops. It would be nice to develop a back up QB for once.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1271200315518464012[/tweet]

Also

[tweet]https://twitter.com/espn/status/1271230544118984706[/tweet]

ESPN story referenced is a fascinating read. All about how Pete wanted him in 2017.Denies kneeling had anything to do with it, in 2017 he really thought Kaep was a starter and didn't want a conflict with Russ. How someone called Pete about Kaep. Enough spoilers, it goes on and on.

Rat

Reaction score
Basis4day":e5klftt3 said:
https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Here is a list of every QB currently in the NFL.

If you're REALLY going to say Kaep is unsigned because of talent, you're saying he is a worse player than every person named on this list.
I’d take him over Geno if he was willing to be paid barely over vet min like Geno is. Has there been any indication that he’s willing to accept such a deal? In a cap-strapped league, you see few teams, if any, investing heavy money in backup QBs.

A 32-year-old QB who doesn’t hit the 60% completion percentage threshold and has been out of the league the past three seasons is going to have a difficult time getting paid.

Rat

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2a3wzl5p said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFL_DougFarrar/status/1271274292613795845[/tweet]
Doug is awesome, and I rank him right up there with Sando as the best writers with considerable Seahawk knowledge, but this tweet might be lacking context.

He references Kaep’s system like it made it extra impressive that he threw only four picks over 11 games, but just three years earlier, Nick Foles threw 26 TDs to 2 INTs as a second-year QB in that same system. Is it possible the system schemes for that? Kaep completed just 59.8% of his passes in that four-INT season, which ranked 26th in the NFL, so it’s not like he was crazy accurate. He was probably just not taking chances.

16 TDs in 11 games is not super impressive, and he compiled a 1-10 record. I know he didn’t have the greatest surrounding cast, but how often do you see a record like that from a team with an established, high-end QB? His rushing also tailed off considerably over those later starts.

I believe strongly in his cause, and genuinely hope he finds his way back in, but it’s not unfair to recognize that his play fell off. Teams will have to consider that before deciding whether to invest in a 32-year-old QB coming off a three-season lay-off. Players coming off long layoffs in the past have usually needed to accept minimal contracts. Has there been any indication that Kaep is willing to do that?

jeremiah

Reaction score
Donn2390":36bybbqw said:
I don't think there is any chance he is picked up by the Hawks or anyone else. Not only does he still bring a very bad vibe and lost revenue, but I would be surprised if he could make the team. He wasn't good when he left and a three year vacation doesn't help.
Those facts along with the fact I don't think he wants to play, being an activist pays better and is more fun. It's easier to say I'm good than to have to prove it and fall on your face in embarrassment.
I hope he never plays another down anywhere. If players are now allowed to kneel I will be done watching football, along with millions of others. If they wish to stay in the locker room and leave their political views completely out of site, that could work. I enjoy the game, not the politics or the personalities..

You and me Donn, though I don't know if I can watch football at all any longer. My opinion is "why feed these millionaire players and billionaire owners"? I hope they can put their free educations to use. Professional sports do not attract me any longer. With China and the NBA, now with the support of everyone for the Marxist BLM the relationship between sports and relaxation/hobby is over.

The only way for sports leagues to move on is to remove all politics from sports. Otherwise, they have lost me....JMO...

jeremiah

Reaction score
jammerhawk":twiq34us said:
Seattle did have him in for a look, he wasn’t worth what he was asking for back then. The Hawks got a look at what he was then, and passed on him. He was never widely recognized for his arm and hasn’t thrown in an NFL system for a very long time, and that skill which is critically important for the position is a diminishing skill. I don’t know if he still has the ability to play at a high level.

It’s true the league screwed him over, but he was an active participant of sorts. For him the time wasn’t right to continue his protest though it should have beenAs is clear to most every sensible person Nothing is for free, and he has burned a lot of bridges, those issues would need to be sorted out prior to him being given a chance to prove he still can play. The price would need to fit his circumstances as well. He will need to prove his skill is worth adding or he will be another athletic QB who remains out of work.

I don’t truly know if he genuinely wants to return on anything but his terms, perhaps there is little chance there is a franchise that wants to pay his price in terms of pure cost benefit. It’s on him now to show he wants to return. The time for that is now to show he can still play. If he does he would still only be signed for a back up gig, that job is paid less than a starting job.

His situation is an interesting social science case study. I wish him nothing but good luck.

You aren't the only person who has said "the league screwed him over". How did they screw him over? He screwed himself over, opening his big yap and kneeling. HE made a spectacle of himself onstage, at his work. May as well say Meghan Markles friend was screwed over because of words she said and she was fired. He opened his mouth, removed himself from the concept of team, and protested his way out of the league. HIS FAULT 100%

If memory serves me, this was over the Ferguson riots, which were a lie. The man killed put himself in a situation where he assaulted a police officer in his cruiser and struggled over his service weapon. It was a legal reaction, and one that any police would do to any assailant. In the parlance of the day, a "nothing burger".

jeremiah

Reaction score
johnnyfever":22f70g75 said:
Donn2390":22f70g75 said:

He only brought a bad vibe to those who made kneeling about the flag and politics. It's those folks who made it political. He never made a political statement. He made a plea to look at police brutality before the game started, and it was brief and respectful. From that point on, it was all football.

I remember him running rampant against the later versions of the legion of boom. Dude had game, but his football sense was sometimes questionable. He is better than a lot of starters in the game, and should easily have a job if others didnt bring politics into it. If you really mean what you say about football being football, then you sir need to leave politics out of it.

The political statement WAS the kneeling. Sorry, but kneeling when you should be standing and honoring the ONLY thing that really we all share in common, love of country. You are either for America or against it. It is very simple. You have millions of dollars and an offseason of 6 months to work for your ideals. The time to do it is not at work. That is as basic a thing as any working man or woman knows.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Kaep didn't screw up. There was no NFL rule about kneeling in 2016 and it wasn't enforced on the club level. It came across bad with the locals because he had not spoken out during Ferguson and other incidents that happened during his career, but just as it was imminent that he was going to be benched for Gabbert all the sudden now he does it. People believed Eric Reid more because he was still seen as an asset and in fact went on to Carolina and did well.

But on the national level, people went into orbit. It was all about the anthem=flag=must stand. Or be a traitor. Which was itself a political statement. If the NFL wanted to stay out of politics they shouldn't be enforcing poltiical behavior.

I agree that Kaep's vet minimum because that's the market for QBs who haven't been starters for years. But no one will know if he'll take it until, you know, someone offers.

I find Pete's interview a little disingenuous because on one hand he's talking about how great Kaep was in 2017-18 and how he wished he'd had a role, but now it's that Geno "really does things we like" and they're good football wise. Serious question, has Geno played a single down for us? His team didn't advance when he was the starter with the Jets.

So other than coinflipping, what's there about his record or any recent play to eschew, today, the same "spirit of competition" that Pete said he usually encourages but "Russell was just such a dominant player"? There's certainly none of that going on with Geno. And Kaep even with the rust could be better, esp if you take Pete's gushing about him. There is no way to know that other than offering a vet-min contract and letting them compete in camp.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I'll go with the last few words that only competing would tell the story twixt Kap and Geno.
Thing is we're strapped for cash and still hoping for a Clowney miracle. So between Kap and Clowney I don't see much of a competition. But I do hope Kap gets another chance.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
League minimum to come into camp? One of them won't work out and it'll cost us the cost of camp for them. Which is in the two figures.

Every August and September, the roster goes from 90 to 53. A 40 percent loss, and all of them had contracts. But in fact, a team can cut a healthy player very rapidly.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well an additional problem now is if they shorten the pre season this year Russ is going to get most the reps in games only due to lack of camps.

Geno and if Kaep brought in won't get a chance to showcase themselves really, in fact Geno is leaps and bounds ahead since he played here last season now.