Could we get Jared Allen on a 1/2 year deal?

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Allen just got paid a FULL 16 million from his last year on contract. The Vikings didnt extend him or restructure him. After making that much money in 1 year I think he would be willing to come here for a fairly cheap contract if he was looking for a ring. He would be great for passing downs. He is not ELITE in the run game but he is good enough.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Someone mentioned Kerney, so I reviewed the list of top sack leaders this year.

1. Robert Mathis - 19.5 sacks.
He's 31 years old

- John Abraham had 11.5 sacks as a situational pass rusher. He's 34.
- Julius Peppers had 7.5 and he's sliding.
- Terrell Suggs had 10 and he's 31.
- DeMarcus Ware had 6 and he's sliding

So, you really don't know what Allen will do since there's examples of players who are still performing at a high level, while others are not.

But I think , why not, if he signs a deal similar to what Antoine Winfield signed for last year.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
I expect we'll see a LOT of restructering of contracts with several players. Miller, Okung, Red, perhaps Rice if he isn't outright cut, and more. I believe Clem gets cut so he can sign a decent 2-3 yr. contract with another team.

If he wants the best shot at a ring, I think Allen signs with us, on a 1-2 yr deal, similar to what Winfield did, competes for a spot in training camp, and enters the D-end rotation with Avril and resigned Bennett.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
kobebryant":1hp2ikds said:
davidonmi":1hp2ikds said:
He just turned 32, and seems to be beginning a decline

There it is. It would go completely against the current and extremely successful formula.

Ideally I would like to see Bruce Irvin, who seemed to get very few edge rush reps, get the pass rush opportunities that a departed Chris Clemons would leave behind; with Malcolm Smith stepping in to a full-time starter role.

Bruce Irvin cant produce what a player like Jared Allen can in terms of sacks. If we lose Clemons, keep Bennett, adding Jared Allen for 1-2 years would be ideal. In reality that IS the formula Pete has been working on. what was it a few years ago where he had made something like 100+ roster moves by Week 6 of the season. Pete does what it takes. thats his formula.

I dont think anyone is suggesting signing a 32 year old to a long term deal. But Bennet will be 29 when the season is half over, Avril will be 28. Clemons is 32. Jared can produce.

lukerguy

Reaction score
davidonmi":353rllnx said:
He just turned 32, and seems to be beginning a decline, and I'm sure wants to go to some sort of contender. Seattle is a destination especially for pass rushers.
Clayton has specifically mentioned his name as a possibility.
Could we get him on a cliff avril like deal?
Tell me if this is a complete pipe-dream or not
EDIT: this is if we don't retain bennett

I don't think we could afford him at 2 years and 13 million to be honest. If he's coming here, it's on a 1 or 2 year deal worth 3.5-4.5 million per. The market for old pass rushers is down.. ask Abraham, Freeney, ect.. last year.