Does anyone think there's a chance we don't re-sign Sherm?

lukerguy

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately. I don't think there is a chance that we don't try to re-sign him, but if he goes after #1 type CB money, there's no way we pay him 16MM per year. Paying a CB that type of money just isn't worth it in the NFL.

Seeing how Maxwell, Lane, Browner, Thurm...ect all play well when given an opportunity, it sort of makes me wonder if we have a dream system & coaching for tall DBs. I think there's a strong chance Simon could be an elite CB some day as well.

Essentially, I think we'll be willing to pay the better part of 10-11MM for an extended deal which will make him a Seahawks for life, but I don't think that we will pay him the most anyone is willing to offer. IF we offer him 11 and NYJ offer him 14- what do you think he takes?

If you think about what 16M could buy you in UFA? Well, probably Michael Bennett (5), Avril (6.5), and KJ Wright (5 predicted annual salary next year)

There's no doubt that many players who are here currently, will not be here in the future. We've unfortunately had to do with with guys like Hawthorne..ect Hawthorne is being paid 5 million to be an average LB in NO. He played well in our system.

Here's our list of UFA or RFAs in the next two years:
Doug Baldwin
Michael Bennett
Breno Giacomini
Paul McQuistan
O'Brien Schofield
Tony McDaniel
Chris Maragos
Golden Tate
Tarvaris Jackson
Steven Hauschka
Brandon Browner
Kellen Davis
Jason Spitz
Clinton McDonald
Walter Thurmond
Anthony McCoy
Chris Clemons
Cliff Avril
Earl Thomas
James Carpenter
Heath Farwell
Michael Robinson
Clint Gresham
KJ Wright
Richard Sherman
Byron Maxwell
Malcolm Smith
Jermaine Kearse

James in PA

Reaction score
Don't know about Sherman (I guess it all depends on how much money he is asks for) but man, there are at least 8 to 10 guys on that list that other teams are going to be salivating over.

CANHawk

Reaction score
There's always the chance somebody like Dan Snyder closes their mind and opens their wallet, and John Schneider won't cripple the team with a stupid Fat Albert sized contract. We have to be prepared for that to happen. Personally, I don't see it. I think Sherm knows he's got it really good here and would be willing to accept somthing for less $/yr but a longer contract.

Hopefully JS doesn't even let him sniff FA and locks him up long term to something respectable.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
Oh, and obviously you could ask this question about anyone on the team. I just identified Sherm for a few reason:
1) He seems fixated on being called the best CB in the league. Perhaps he wants to be paid like Revis which is why he keeps comparing to Revis.
2) Tall CBs seem to thrive in our system. Even Maxwell looks like a top 25 CB in the league.
3) Signing Sherman at a top of the market price means saying goodbye to 2-3 other players.
4) I've never heard Sherman say anything like, "I want to be a Seahawk for life", Like I've heard, RW say.

Anguish

Reaction score
Whatever happens, I just hope this organization continues to develop young talent, find diamonds in the rough, and do things just differently enough that they're not always in direct competition with everyone else. There is no way that everyone can get paid. Win forever will require really good planning and execution from the front office, just as it is required by those on the field.

edogg23

Reaction score
I think there is a big chance he is gone. CB is our deepest positon and they seem to be able to draft good ones at will. So the question is do you pay 15 million a year for a postion that you can have someone maybe 85% as good play for 500,000 - 1 million a year

volsunghawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":3hgb4v87 said:
4) I've never heard Sherman say anything like, "I want to be a Seahawk for life", Like I've heard, RW say.

At the same time, he's clearly bought into the "Legion of Boom" identity, and the camaraderie that those guys share make me wonder if they would try to find a way to remain a group for an extended time. He markets T-shirts, hats, and wrist bands that are as Seahawks-centric as they can be without NFL permission. I'm not saying he would give a 50% hometown discount or anything, but I think he's smart enough to know that he's in a very good situation.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
My guess is we re-sign Sherman... but not at a $16M/year cap hit.

Something closer to $12M seems reasonable.

hawk45

Reaction score
Thurmond is a pretty talented guy if he can stay on the field.

I have high hopes for Maxwell and Lane. They looked awesome at home vs the Saints. They looked ordinary at times during the Niners. I remember one play where they were lined up side-by-side on a 3rd and short and either of the 2 WRs they were covering could easily have caught the ball for a first down (and one of them did). I'm not ready to say any CB can be elite in our system. I think the Maxwells and Lanes of the world benefit from Sherm locking down one side of the field allowing us to roll coverage towards the noobs a bit.

I'd be okay with paying him elite corner money, I think he's part of the core (Wilson, Okung, Thomas, Sherman). Sure I'd love it if he'd settle for less.

The Seahawks seem to have pretty good luck with LBs too, and as much as I love KJ (and I really do love that guy), he's not quite the core guy Sherman is IMO. Avril and Bennett may very well take their 1 year of success here and hit FA.

That's just me. I certainly agree #1 corner money is eye-popping.

djb28

Reaction score
I think both sides of the ball need their "Big" signed players. Wilson and E.T are it for me. I hope he stays because he is a great face for the defense. But I don't sign the checks.

djb28

Reaction score
If for some reason, we don't make it to a Super Bowl. The players on this team will be begging to stay, knowing how close they are to it!

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
He will be resigned, just probably not at the figure most people are thinking it'll be at.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
If Sherm asks to be the highest paid CB ever, which I can see him doing, then yeah I would think he is gonzo. Hopefully that isn't the case, obviously.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I do think there's a big chance we don't re-sign Sherm. If he and his agent are going to be hard asses and want Revis type money, then there's no way in hell Pete and John agree to that. 16 million for a CB? That's starting QB money.

Now if he's reasonable and takes like 10-12 million? Sure, I think that can fit under the cap. But if there's one thing we've learned from how Pete and John have built the Legion of Boom, it's that the CB position can be fluid and not skip a beat. Now E.T.? That's a different story, we'll franchise Earle for the next 10 years if we have to. He IS the reason we can play defense the way we play defense.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
I would say the franchise tag could be a real option as well. I think Revis will re-negotiate or be cut by TB. He hasn't earned anywhere near 16 M which would mean that the Franchise tag number would probably be around $9M.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sometime next off season, Sherm will sign a deal that will get him a relatively team friendly deal in exchange for them renegotiating before that fourth year, and the tag years that could follow.

Not worried.

Latest posts