Does anyone think there's a chance we don't re-sign Sherm?

Rocket

Reaction score
I think Sherman is smart enough to make his hay while the sun shines
( get the money while he can )

He also seems, long term, to want an announcer gig.
Is it better to be an east coast corner for the announcing???
Not sure how that plays now that we seem to have left Egypt behind.

TJH

Reaction score
I actually think it's likely at this point. Unlike most people, I feel there's next to zero chance of Sherm giving us much of a discount and he is going to be out for blood getting a contract. I have a feeling Pete would much rather put the money into defensive line and Thomas than a corner.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I say there's a 50/50 chance he's back with the 'hawks after his contract is up.

Earl Thomas will get the money, and Sherm will have to deal with it. Whether that means getting franchised, or accepting an offer from another team. I think it would be dumb if he didn't take the best offer he can get. Weighing of course Dollars and how good the team actually is, if Seattle is anywhere close and the next highest bidder is say...Minnesota...I think he goes with the team that gives him the best chance at the playoffs/championship.

Judging by the success of the rest of the DBs, I don't think the Seahawks will hurt as much as people think it might. Pete does an extraordinary job coaching up and instilling confidence in defensive players. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Sherman walks, and the next man up gets plugged right in and thrives. After all, Sherman was literally a nobody before Pete got his hands on him and look at him now. It would suck not having him, but I'm confident in Pete and John's ability to find talent that fits Seattle's scheme.

BleedGreenNblue

Reaction score
Seems dumb to leave an awesome team and the fans love you to go to a crappy team just for more money. Thats my logic

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
I think Thomas and Wilson are in line for a big pay day. I don't Sherman will stay if another team offers significantly more.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Give it to him--he's our quarterback on D. Pay Earl too. The remainder of the Legion is, as they say, risible.

Shock2k

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":hhun5hj3 said:
I believe he will be gone. He will want big money - as he should. You only get to cash in so many times in the NFL, so you need to make them count.

Sherman is great, but a large part of his success is the system and the players surrounding him. Also, if you want to build a perennial top tier team, you do not do it by throwing huge money at the CB position. JS and PC know this.

Look at all these CB signings over the years. Look at the huge contracts....how many of them are for top teams?

http://overthecap.com/top-player-salari ... osition=CB

Charles Tillman available in 2014. He's making 6 mil right now.... yes please.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
I think Sherm will ask for top notch pay that we can't afford. Would love to keep him. At least we got the best of Sherm when he is in his prime.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Couple things to consider...

The way that Pete has handled the Browner and Thurmond situations should be an indicator as to what he knows about his guys. These guys love each other. I am not saying they are willing to take major paycuts for each other... But let's think about this for a moment. A lot of teams would cut players when they have excessive positive tests, etc. Pete has always said in the press conferences that we are going to stand by and take care of our guys. That says something to what he knows about them as a group. They are tight. They WANT to be here--together. There was rumor of Earl or Kam talking about how they wanted to work it out so they could all stay. I don't have anything to substantiate that, unfortunately. But I think there is valor in at least an attempt on all their part.

Personally, I would hate Sherman if he played for anyone else. Lol. His antics would just get under my skin as opposition--which I assume is the point. But I look at it this way... I am a Trainer. Lots of companies pay more than the company I work for to do the exact same thing. I could go there and make more money--even was offered a job today that pays TWICE what I make right now--but it's in Dallas. I am not leaving my current position because I love the people I work with right now and I'm making enough. It's not astronimcal by any means, but I am content. (I pay income tax too) This IS a factor for all these guys. They've said as much. Is it a guarantee? Absolutely not.

Anthony!

Reaction score
I look at the top 4 guys coming most likely to get big paydays and Sherman is 3-4, in order

1. Rw
2. WT
3. either Okung or Sherman all depends how healthy Okung can stay he is a LT which is vital but if he is not on the filed it means little. We will see.

drcool

Reaction score
Remember, Revis was coming off an injury and signed a $16 mil a year contract with no guarantee. His yearly salary is higher than anyone but without a signing bonus or guaranteed money the risk was fairly low for Tampa Bay. Seems like it would make more sense for Sherman to sign a $10-12 mil a year contract with $20-25 mil in bonuses and guaranteed money or something like that. The $16 mil a year number isn't what GMs and players should be looking at to be the best paid CB

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
BleedGreenNblue":17njv4u9 said:
Seems dumb to leave an awesome team and the fans love you to go to a crappy team just for more money. Thats my logic

:13: Many a football player has discovered that money does not buy happiness.

seahawk 17

Reaction score
Zero chance. You see how Sherm walks and talks...he's going to follow the money.

sekiuHAWK

Reaction score
lukerguy":xgngyrca said:
I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately. I don't think there is a chance that we don't try to re-sign him, but if he goes after #1 type CB money, there's no way we pay him 16MM per year. Paying a CB that type of money just isn't worth it in the NFL.

Seeing how Maxwell, Lane, Browner, Thurm...ect all play well when given an opportunity, it sort of makes me wonder if we have a dream system & coaching for tall DBs. I think there's a strong chance Simon could be an elite CB some day as well.

Essentially, I think we'll be willing to pay the better part of 10-11MM for an extended deal which will make him a Seahawks for life, but I don't think that we will pay him the most anyone is willing to offer. IF we offer him 11 and NYJ offer him 14- what do you think he takes?

If you think about what 16M could buy you in UFA? Well, probably Michael Bennett (5), Avril (6.5), and KJ Wright (5 predicted annual salary next year)

There's no doubt that many players who are here currently, will not be here in the future. We've unfortunately had to do with with guys like Hawthorne..ect Hawthorne is being paid 5 million to be an average LB in NO. He played well in our system.

Here's our list of UFA or RFAs in the next two years:
Doug Baldwin
Michael Bennett
Breno Giacomini
Paul McQuistan
O'Brien Schofield
Tony McDaniel
Chris Maragos
Golden Tate
Tarvaris Jackson
Steven Hauschka
Brandon Browner
Kellen Davis
Jason Spitz
Clinton McDonald
Walter Thurmond
Anthony McCoy
Chris Clemons
Cliff Avril
Earl Thomas
James Carpenter
Heath Farwell
Michael Robinson
Clint Gresham
KJ Wright
Richard Sherman
Byron Maxwell
Malcolm Smith
Jermaine Kearse

This list makes me physically ill.

General Manager

Reaction score
formido":3jnvg3zp said:
Although it's well-accepted in Seahawk fandom that Earl Thomas is the most critical defensive piece on the team, it's not universally understood that Sherman is very nearly as critical. I think most people get it, but there are some holdouts. :) Although oft-repeated, it's not actually true that just being tall is enough for our system. Sherman is something special, it just took Carroll's unconventionality to give him a chance in this league, same as Russell Wilson[1]. In the year and a half before Sherman was starting, our defensive passer rating averaged ~90 per game. As soon as Sherman began starting it dropped to ~70 and has remained there ever since. Passing defense wins championships. That's why the best corners get paid the way they do.

Winning teams keep their All-Pros. Sherman wants to be here. Seattle wants him here. The chances we don't re-sign him are small and if he's the highest paid corner, it will be nominally only and not the most expensive contract by risk.

We'll lose a lot of players. By and large, most fans understand this and I don't expect there to be nearly the wailing and gnashing of teeth that some foresee. Not unless it's one of our All-Pro caliber players. Of course, fans have their favorites, so there will always be a demographic with complaints, but that doesn't mean most of us don't understand how the salary cap works.

[1] Do you realize, Russell Wilson could have easily never happened? Anywhere. What if he went to be Cam Newton's back-up? Maybe Cam gets hurt for 3 or 4 games and Wilson has a shaky few stats like the beginning of his rookie season, maybe even worse because the team is built to enable to a tall QB? Short QBs don't get the leash that tall ones do. Does he ever get another chance to start?

We'll see how the rest of the season goes but as of right now if I had to choose ET or RS i'd take Sherman.

Anthony!

Reaction score
General Manager":1lagcvum said:
formido":1lagcvum said:
Although it's well-accepted in Seahawk fandom that Earl Thomas is the most critical defensive piece on the team, it's not universally understood that Sherman is very nearly as critical. I think most people get it, but there are some holdouts. :) Although oft-repeated, it's not actually true that just being tall is enough for our system. Sherman is something special, it just took Carroll's unconventionality to give him a chance in this league, same as Russell Wilson[1]. In the year and a half before Sherman was starting, our defensive passer rating averaged ~90 per game. As soon as Sherman began starting it dropped to ~70 and has remained there ever since. Passing defense wins championships. That's why the best corners get paid the way they do.

Winning teams keep their All-Pros. Sherman wants to be here. Seattle wants him here. The chances we don't re-sign him are small and if he's the highest paid corner, it will be nominally only and not the most expensive contract by risk.

We'll lose a lot of players. By and large, most fans understand this and I don't expect there to be nearly the wailing and gnashing of teeth that some foresee. Not unless it's one of our All-Pro caliber players. Of course, fans have their favorites, so there will always be a demographic with complaints, but that doesn't mean most of us don't understand how the salary cap works.

[1] Do you realize, Russell Wilson could have easily never happened? Anywhere. What if he went to be Cam Newton's back-up? Maybe Cam gets hurt for 3 or 4 games and Wilson has a shaky few stats like the beginning of his rookie season, maybe even worse because the team is built to enable to a tall QB? Short QBs don't get the leash that tall ones do. Does he ever get another chance to start?

We'll see how the rest of the season goes but as of right now if I had to choose ET or RS i'd take Sherman.

I would not for one I am not convinced RS without ET is as good, and for 2 RS attitude is going to get worse once he gets paid, and without an ET or RW to keep him in check it could get ugly. As to the other thing about Rw we really do not know how Rw would do on another team, however given all the issues he has had to deal with, losing 2 wr, most of his o-line, the handcuffs on play calling etc, I am pretty sure he would do very well regardless.

In addition the whole winning teams do not loose all pro players is great but ET is also an all pro player and while RS is a 1 time all pro Earl is a 2 time all pro. If you watched the interview the legion of boom did on one of the shows a few months ago they all said having ET back there allows them to play they way they do, no ET everything changes. If you listen to the experts they say the same thing. When it comes down to it RW is our most important FA in the next few years then Et.

RussellMania

Reaction score
All I know is we better win a couple Super Bowls here because 2015 is going to ROUGH and then the year after that is a wrap. You've got our current biggest contract, Russell Okung, and then Bobby Wagner and of course Russell Wilson. It's really going to come down to drafting and who they think they can build into new players. I would never be spiteful to a player who left for more money. The NFL isn't a charity organization, these guys a big box office draws and they should get paid as much as they can. You can blame the salary cap but the salary cap is totally in the fan's favor as it creates way more league parity. You don't have teams just spend like crazy and pay the luxury tax like you do in MLB and the NBA.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
It is def possible that Sherm signs elsewhere and if he does so be it, our D will still be pretty good. Thomas and Wilson are the 2 contracts we need before anything else. The thing that sucks is we will probably be losing one of Tate or Baldwin, hopefully not both