Could we get Jared Allen on a 1/2 year deal?

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":2u447vgb said:
Vetamur":2u447vgb said:
We will not do that. We will look for overlooked players who overall arent great so get overlooked. Then, we will put them in a position to succeed by playing to their specific skill set. I expect we have to let go of some people because theyve made a name for themselves in our system ..and priced themselves out of our reach. When they go elsewhere they wont be as good. In the meantime we will sign a couple of 2nd or 3rd tier players for much less but only ask them to do one thing well.. and it will work. See: Browner, Brandon.. Clemons, Chris.. slightly different story but Bryant, Red.. etc.

We dont need to get Jared Allen.. we need someone who is under performing now but put in a situation that Clemons did, can produce pressure.

Thank you for bringing this discussion back to reality.

I'm not sure the Avril, Bennett/ Allen comparison really works. They're both considerably younger and cheaper. Only way Allen would even be a consideration would be if he signed for way below market. Allen had the largest cap hit of any non QB at over 17 mil in 2013.

Winfield......?

This discussion is already very realistic, not one person said pay allen market price. If anything, his giant cap hit previously only works in our favor, it means hes already filthy rich and hes more likely to compromise in that department. That doesnt mean he will, im just arguing logic here.

What some of you seem to be forgetting is we are the champs, how we have attracted FA's in the past, does not apply anymore. We already saw it last year when avril and bennet came, do you think guys are even more or less likely to come play for the hawks on a discount after winning the superbowl?

Yes we will continue to go bargain hunting to fill our roster, but to state how "we will not do that" is a little short sighted imo. winning is a magical thing, it doesnt mean it changes our philosophy, but it does give us more options.

Mick063

Reaction score
I hate the idea of getting old, even if it is a short term deal. Old players don't heal as quickly. The grind has beat them down. Signing Allen........It is a Ruskell-type move.

Rookie contracts keep you ahead of the curve.

Never did like Allen much anyway.

Pass.

Exittium

Reaction score
Yeah I'd prefer if we just keep it young, its worked for us so far.

Steve2222

Reaction score
I don't know. Allen's made his money already. I could see him saying "F It Ill sign a very cap friendly contract and jump on the Hawks bandwagon to get a ring." And if he is old and slow in training camp, they'll have no problem showing him the door. Same goes with Tony G shall the same opportunity presents itself mid season next year.

We might as well use our luxury of being the most sought after Free Agent destination in the NFL.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
CPHawk":3iui4nzk said:
We aren't built by signing old ex stars, that's how the redskins build. Let Pete and JS continue to build the way they always have, no need to sign ex stars, like Allen and Peppers.

Difference is the Skin's usually overpay for older players. If it would help us offer JA an NFL minimum contract. He sure as hell can say no and watch TV. IMO, Clem is gone this year.

kobebryant

Reaction score
davidonmi":1mfndjpm said:
He just turned 32, and seems to be beginning a decline

There it is. It would go completely against the current and extremely successful formula.

Ideally I would like to see Bruce Irvin, who seemed to get very few edge rush reps, get the pass rush opportunities that a departed Chris Clemons would leave behind; with Malcolm Smith stepping in to a full-time starter role.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I agree the best way to build your team is thru the draft. But, you only have 7, maybe 9 draft picks (trade down and add) per year.

So, if you keep all your selections - 4 latest drafts - that's only 28-36 players. Sprinkle in 1-2 UDRFA per year and that gets you to 48 players.

That said, your not going to keep all the players you draft (The Konz, EJ Wilson, Dexter Davis, Pep Levingston, Kris Durham, Mark LeGree, John Moffitt, Winston Guy, Jaye Howard, Ty Powell and Chris Harper are not on the team.), so minus 10 from the past 4 drafts.

Plus, MikeRob's 31 and Big Red and Mebane will be 30 this year.

I'm not saying you fill your roster with a bunch of 30+ year olds, but to expect the roster with 24-25 year old players is a bit unrealistic too.

And, we're just saying add one really good pass rusher to the D. Why would you turn that down, if the player's willing to meet the team's terms?

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Allen had 11.5 sacks this year. 12 last year. 22 the year before. I'd take that if he's willing to meet the team's terms.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
If he wants a 1 year $2m deal with some incentives for 10 sacks or something similar, I'm all for it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
truehawksfan":1sdfsrnf said:
Allen had 11.5 sacks this year. 12 last year. 22 the year before. I'd take that if he's willing to meet the team's terms.

Absolutely....their are many similarities between signing Allen and the signings of Bennett and Avril. signing Allen is part of the same formula that brought those to hear and if he's willing to take a good deal is a fine replacement for Clemons

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Somehow I'd still be shocked if the conditions were met to bring in Allen and for him to contribute much.

bigcc

Reaction score
if he signs cheap sure, but as suggested earlier cutting clemons to sign allen??? That gives me the thought of some bad locker room vibes

hawkfan68

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":5bpjlk2b said:
We can get any FA we want it seems given how JS already told most of them no thanks. I'd prefer we sign Bennett given the options out there if possible. In fact please just sign our own in most cases and use the draft.

I agree with this. Every FA will want to be a Seahawk. Good place to be in that regard. However, signing Bennett is high priority. It seems that the Seahawks want him back and he wants to stay. Trying to keep the SB champs together as much as possible. Bennett was arguably the best DL player on the #1 defense in the NFL. Allen is great but I doubt he would sign for less to be a Seahawk (which is what he would have to do to come here).

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Uncle Si":g7euyzu9 said:
CPHawk":g7euyzu9 said:
We aren't built by signing old ex stars, that's how the redskins build. Let Pete and JS continue to build the way they always have, no need to sign ex stars, like Allen and Peppers.

You can see the resemblance between Allen and Bennet/Avril though...

Not at all, Bennett and Avril are in their prime, Allen is passing his.

Allen is used to playing every down in Minnesota, I have a hard time seeing him accept a part-time role.

With the exception of maybe Antoine Winfield (and remind me how that worked out) -- the Seahawks have for the most part only signed young FA's.

I don't think nor do I care for using our cap space on Allen. ONLY IF BENNETT LEFT.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Mick063":ajfxt26i said:
I hate the idea of getting old, even if it is a short term deal. Old players don't heal as quickly. The grind has beat them down. Signing Allen........It is a Ruskell-type move.

Pass.

Nodded my head your whole post, I think people want this guy for nostaliga, not because he's going to make the team significantly better.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":87ns6o0z said:
Mick063":87ns6o0z said:

Pass.

Nodded my head your whole post, I think people want this guy for nostaliga, not because he's going to make the team significantly better.

could be nostalgia... or maybe some of you dont realize how awesome he still is? putting up over a 10 sacks on a bad defense...when playing from behind a lot, meaning hes not facing a lot of obvious passing downs. thats not to mention if he signs here it will be for a bargain and not a long contract, you have nothing to lose compared to banking on a young guy not developing. Thats also not to mention hes missed 3 games in his entire career so hes MORE than proven to be reliable, especially more reliable than the torn acl hes replacing. so youre essentially trading clem for allen and saving like 4 million dollars by getting better. when youre in a window of winning championships that makes a lot of sense to me personally. no one wants to fill our team with expensive vets, plug and play a nice piece or 2 is something weve done every off season since pete has been here, very pete if you ask me.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Mr.Hawkbrah":29zoq0ex said:
WestcoastSteve":29zoq0ex said:
Mick063":29zoq0ex said:

Pass.

could be nostalgia... or maybe some of you dont realize how awesome he still is? putting up over a 10 sacks on a bad defense...when playing from behind a lot, meaning hes not facing a lot of obvious passing downs. thats not to mention if he signs here it will be for a bargain and not a long contract, you have nothing to lose compared to banking on a young guy not developing. Thats also not to mention hes missed 3 games in his entire career so hes MORE than proven to be reliable, especially more reliable than the torn acl hes replacing. so youre essentially trading clem for allen and saving like 4 million dollars by getting better. when youre in a window of winning championships that makes a lot of sense to me personally. no one wants to fill our team with expensive vets, plug and play a nice piece or 2 is something weve done every off season since pete has been here, very pete if you ask me.

Patrick Kerney played all 16 games 8 of the first 9 years of his career, then we saw his body break down. I think you have to realize that when a pass rusher loses it, they lose it fast. I think it would be much wiser to spend money elsewhere -- this team had strong pass rushers sitting on the bench last season. I love the pass rush but you shouldn't invest so heavily in it that you are thin elsewhere (particularly the OL)

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
im not going to get into a battle of examples, we could go all day referencing d lineman that played well/lost it in their 30s. i think you have to realize the fact is he played every game and recorded 11.5 sacks on a crap defense. fact were not going to pay him 8 mill a year for 5 years to come here so all these points about investments are redundant. either he will come here for cheap, or he wont be on here, either he beats out our talented back ups, or he wont stay here. there is minimal risk and it is my opinion you are severely disregarding how good he is, all in speculation of things you cant prove.

plus this is all situational, we have bennet, clem and the mcd bros that need to be dealt with, any one or all of those 4 might not be here due to wanting too much money. no major fixes will likely be available for the oline other then through the draft. all in all, i really wont care if we stick with youth, i just dont think allen is as bad of an option as people are making it seem given the fact that we need to maximize everything we can within a reasonable risk if we want to repeat, our window is now.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":2ds0ehjq said:
Uncle Si":2ds0ehjq said:
CPHawk":2ds0ehjq said:

You can see the resemblance between Allen and Bennet/Avril though...

Not at all, Bennett and Avril are in their prime, Allen is passing his.

Allen is used to playing every down in Minnesota, I have a hard time seeing him accept a part-time role.

With the exception of maybe Antoine Winfield (and remind me how that worked out) -- the Seahawks have for the most part only signed young FA's.

I don't think nor do I care for using our cap space on Allen. ONLY IF BENNETT LEFT.

The whole premise of the question is bringing Allen in on a Bennet/Avril type deal...