Does anyone think there's a chance we don't re-sign Sherm?

plyka

Reaction score
BleedGreenNblue":27tv357z said:
Seems dumb to leave an awesome team and the fans love you to go to a crappy team just for more money. Thats my logic

Probably because you're not in the position to make all that money, if you were it may be a different story. But I got to thank you, every time I see your picture at the end of your posts I laugh, and it's been like 7 laughs by now. To see KJ Wright (i think) in a perfect portrait style smile on the side, and then Wilson with his chimpmunk smirk is awesome. People at work don't understand why I just start laughing out of the blue, but it's due to this picture.

fenderbender123":27tv357z said:
I predict that if Sherman doesn't resign with us, his performance will drop off with another team. He's got the best CB coaching and development in the NFL right here....

Quite frankly this is what all fans say. Rarely is it ever true. Russell Wilson would be one of the best QBs for the next decade regardless of where he goes. Earl Thomas is in my mind the best safety in the league. And Richard Sherman is the best corner in the league, with smarts to back it up. He will do his job at an elite level regardless of location.

The real positive for the Seahawks is that they are able to recruit and build CBs, like Browner, Thurmond, Maxwell, Lane and the lsit goes on and on. So if Sherm leaves for more money, more power to him, I expect him to perform at an elite level wherever he goes.

lukerguy":27tv357z said:
Anyone who says they would rather have Sherman than ET is somewhat unclear about our defensive scheme. If you take Sherman out of the line up you can keep our scheme and put a strong tall corner in to replace him, and do adequately well. If you take ET out of center field, our entire team changes dramatically. All of a sudden you don't feel quite as comfortable playing press-man.

Right on. ET is the lynchpin of this defense. Also as others have mentioned, premier safeties make less money than premier CBs. That's not to say Sherm is not imoprtant, because he is very important. I just think ET is more imoprtant.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
plyka":3ttcm99n said:
BleedGreenNblue":3ttcm99n said:
Seems dumb to leave an awesome team and the fans love you to go to a crappy team just for more money. Thats my logic

Probably because you're not in the position to make all that money, if you were it may be a different story. But I got to thank you, every time I see your picture at the end of your posts I laugh, and it's been like 7 laughs by now. To see KJ Wright (i think) in a perfect portrait style smile on the side, and then Wilson with his chimpmunk smirk is awesome. People at work don't understand why I just start laughing out of the blue, but it's due to this picture.

fenderbender123":3ttcm99n said:
I predict that if Sherman doesn't resign with us, his performance will drop off with another team. He's got the best CB coaching and development in the NFL right here....

Quite frankly this is what all fans say. Rarely is it ever true. Russell Wilson would be one of the best QBs for the next decade regardless of where he goes. Earl Thomas is in my mind the best safety in the league. And Richard Sherman is the best corner in the league, with smarts to back it up. He will do his job at an elite level regardless of location.

While I somewhat agree, I do think there's some truth to the fact that the Hawks are the best team in the league right now at teaching CB's excellent press technique......as we've found out over the past three years with developing 4-5 nobodies into elite NFL corners.

Not saying Sherman wouldn't do well elsewhere, but like every other position on defense, if you're not surrounded by talent you're going to also struggle. I don't care if you're Deon Sanders, if your D-Line, LB corp and safeties suck, you're going to have problems.

hawk45

Reaction score
We'll see. Corners make a lot of money but the position on defense where you also have to back up the Brinks truck is DE or a position where you're rushing the passer. With Sherman out there, we don't need Bennett, Avril, and Clemons to still be an elite pass defense. Lose Sherman because you wouldn't go from 10M to 15M, and you could easily spend that 5M making sure you're super deep at DE, because with a mere mortal on the outside CB, you are toast unless you're getting to the QB regularly.

Sherman has proven his performance and durability. I'd much rather spend the 5M on Sherman and live without one of Bennett/Avril/Clemons (provided we choose wisely who goes) than lose Sherman and have the 5M.

I think the FO will look at it like that also. Or at the very least, there's a decent chance they'll see it that way.

RiverDog

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1bo7ewax said:

Free agency hasn't been nice to the league's top cornerbacks and the teams that paid handsomely to acquire them. I can think of a half dozen corners in recent years that were considered to the top in their game that weren't the answer. Revis is only the most recent. Remember Philly's dream team? Nate Clements?

chris98251

Reaction score
Thing about top players is that many feel it's them and not the system or who is surrounding them, many WR and QB's and RB's have went to other teams and just vanished. Safeties and CB's succeed when the system and coaches utilize their strengths in their schemes. Basketball players are the same, many a player leaves to go somewhere only to become a afterthought because of the system and teammates are not the right fit.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Lots of great posts and I have thought about this topic lately.
From the players side it's all about value, whether perceived or not.
Of course there is a HUGE value in money.
There is a value in your HC and his staff, teammates, facilities, and owner.
It sounds like Seahawk players value #12 as well.

Kam signed a year early for just under $30M for 5 years. He gave up some ching wah to stay here and remain a member of the LOB. He is a monster piece of our LOB. Bam Bam.
To stay a Seahawk, I think we will require a home town discount from Sherm. I know he can easily sign for more, but the guy behind him salivating for his job will cost $Millions less without a big dropoff in ability. Remember guys, the Josh Wilson, Kelly Jennings, Marcus Trufants (sorry) are gone and it is Thurmond, Maxwell, Lane who would kill for a chance to start.
If Sherm wants to be the highest paid CB, more power to him. I don't blame him. Just like the injuries we have had this year, when one goes down it is next man up and we are 11-2.
Wilson and ET are required signing. Everyone else, including Okung are expendable for the good of the team.

Tical21

Reaction score
lukerguy":2r54kwka said:
Anyone who says they would rather have Sherman than ET is somewhat unclear about our defensive scheme. If you take Sherman out of the line up you can keep our scheme and put a strong tall corner in to replace him, and do adequately well. If you take ET out of center field, our entire team changes dramatically. All of a sudden you don't feel quite as comfortable playing press-man.
I'm not saying right or wrong, and I would tend to agree with your premise, but how do you know that? We have never seen what the defense looks like without Earl. Maybe it is still great. Maybe our corners are so good that we could plug in an average free safety and be just fine. I would guess you're probably right, but there is just no way to back that claim since Earl doesn't get hurt.

Tical21

Reaction score
themunn":3kk12eow said:
Tical21":3kk12eow said:
Earl Thomas is probably my favorite Seahawk. But I think Sherman is perhaps more valuable. Corner is a more valuable position than free safety. When you look at the list of Super Bowl Champion teams over the past 25 years or so, the caliber of player at CB is higher than at Safety. That may not be true of our system, but unfortunately the only way to find out would be to lose one or both of them. Typically, you can substitute your safety with Player X, and not see a huge dropoff. Could they find another cover safety with range and not see a big dropoff? You usually can't replace a shutdown corner with Player Y. Great corners are a lot harder to find than great safeties, and I still believe have a greater impact on the outcome. A great corner either shuts down the opposition's top weapon, or takes away 1/3 of the field, depending on the coverage.

But you think of the list of best safeties over the past 25 years

Ronnie Lott (albeit at the tail end of those 25 years)
Rod Woodson
Ed Reed
Troy Polomalu
Brian Dawkins
John Lynch
Darren Sharper
Steve Atwater
Darren Woodson

All but Dawkins have at least one superbowl ring, but most of them had relative scrubs at corner. I can't actually think of a recent superbowl winning team that DIDN'T have a good player at safety - with the exception of the Giants. Even the Pats had Lawyer Milloy and Rodney Harrison who were pretty good.
You know what , I was wrong. I just went back and looked at the Super Bowl winners over the last 25 years. It is about 50/50 as far as which position the best player on their secondary played. I stand corrected.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3b73809f said:
plyka":3b73809f said:
BleedGreenNblue":3b73809f said:

fenderbender123":3b73809f said:

While I somewhat agree, I do think there's some truth to the fact that the Hawks are the best team in the league right now at teaching CB's excellent press technique......as we've found out over the past three years with developing 4-5 nobodies into elite NFL corners.

Not saying Sherman wouldn't do well elsewhere, but like every other position on defense, if you're not surrounded by talent you're going to also struggle. I don't care if you're Deon Sanders, if your D-Line, LB corp and safeties suck, you're going to have problems.

This.

Much of the reasons our CB's are close to plug-n-play is the way we use ET's considerable range and talent. When the time comes, I'm not certain that Sherm would be able to ignore a ridiculously high offer, but, the same time, he's student of the game that might balance the money with how he fits the scheme and players. He could walk into another ideal situation that offers more money than the Hawks are offering. I just don't think he would blindly accept the highest amount.

Zorn76

Reaction score
It'll be interesting, to say the least, how this all shakes out. I could easily see Sherman moving on if he gets a better deal somewhere else, even if it meant sacrificing a legitimate shot at winning a SB, just like Revis did when he joined TB, though he wasn't going to win one with the Jets anyhow.

I like RS but, IMO, he's as much about being a media and social network star as anything else. I certainly would take ET's or RW's team allegiance or integrity over Richard's at this point. As for Okung, I'm not sold on him being the long term answer at LT, either. His injury history is already an issue, and we have to hedge our bet there, along with a similar approach for Harvin.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
Of course there is always a chance he doesn't get resigned. It's going to depend on what he wants more, to be a part of a championship winning team, or try his luck with someone else. If Sherman believes in Seattle and believes he can win the ultimate prize with them (assuming it doesn't already happen this year) he may be willing to settle for less money to stay put. You never know, stranger things have happened.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I saw some reports that the salary cap is going to bump up to around 127m. I wonder if that extra few million will be enough to help us keep both.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
For me there are two nailed on certainties that are going to happen this off season.

Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman sign new deals.

No doubt at all. I'm 100% certain about this.

I think Sherman will end up with around $10-11m per year. And we can live with that. I really can't see him playing another year on a pittance (5th round salary) on the off chance someone will be prepared to pay $16m in 2015 (they won't).

This will get done, and so will Earl Thomas.

Let's just hope after all of that there's a way to keep Bennett and possibly Giacomini too.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
I really think we are going to let a lot of folks walk and depend heavily on the draft for replacements.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":259d5aun said:
I saw some reports that the salary cap is going to bump up to around 127m. I wonder if that extra few million will be enough to help us keep both.
Well, that should help pay for Percy Harvin at the very least.

hawk45

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2myd6jfn said:
For me there are two nailed on certainties that are going to happen this off season.

I think Sherman will end up with around $10-11m per year. And we can live with that. I really can't see him playing another year on a pittance (5th round salary) on the off chance someone will be prepared to pay $16m in 2015 (they won't).

Let's just hope after all of that there's a way to keep Bennett and possibly Giacomini too.

Hey English, I feel a lot better after reading your post. Curious, why do you say no team will throw $16M his way in 2015? I'm not disagreeing, just trying to understand the thought process. If I had to guess, I would say that teams have observed what happens when you pay a guy like Revis a ton of money but he goes to a scheme that doesn't fit him as well and the talent around him isn't as good. Namely: the team still sucks, and you are out 16M. But a team that has some talent in the secondary, and plays man-press a bit, I don't know maybe they'd see him as the missing puzzle piece.

I have a lot of faith in JS, I think Sherm wants to stay relevant and the best way is to be on a Superbowl contender (not stuck in Tampa or somewhere, how many headlines is Revis getting these days?). I also think that getting paid a year earlier would factor in. But lets say Sherman thinks he can get in the 13-15 range. You don't think he opts to try for that? You think he'd settle for being paid 5-6M less than Revis? I don't believe he's 5-6M less valuable than Revis and neither, I think, does Sherman.

What I think will happen is we'll get to the 13-15M range and THEN we'll get him a year early. And I'll be happy with that, even if it does mean losing one of Bennett/Avril and someone else.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
hawk45":2jlmb8r1 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2jlmb8r1 said:

Hey English, I feel a lot better after reading your post. Curious, why do you say no team will throw $16M his way in 2015? I'm not disagreeing, just trying to understand the thought process. If I had to guess, I would say that teams have observed what happens when you pay a guy like Revis a ton of money but he goes to a scheme that doesn't fit him as well and the talent around him isn't as good. Namely: the team still sucks, and you are out 16M. But a team that has some talent in the secondary, and plays man-press a bit, I don't know maybe they'd see him as the missing puzzle piece.

I have a lot of faith in JS, I think Sherm wants to stay relevant and the best way is to be on a Superbowl contender (not stuck in Tampa or somewhere, how many headlines is Revis getting these days?). I also think that getting paid a year earlier would factor in. But lets say Sherman thinks he can get in the 13-15 range. You don't think he opts to try for that? You think he'd settle for being paid 5-6M less than Revis? I don't believe he's 5-6M less valuable than Revis and neither, I think, does Sherman.

What I think will happen is we'll get to the 13-15M range and THEN we'll get him a year early. And I'll be happy with that, even if it does mean losing one of Bennett/Avril and someone else.

I just can't see a team throwing that much money ($16m) at Sherman. As good as he is, he isn't a Revis/P.Peterson elite athlete. But to be honest, I don't think it'll ever get that far. He earns $690,606 in 2014. He would have to turn down $10-11m a year, play on less than $700k next season and hope that by the time free agency came around a year later, his stock would still be so high that he gets paid at the highest level possible for his position.

Or he could be the highest paid player on the Seattle Seahawks roster and set himself up for life this off-season.

I think it's a formality they come to an agreement, ditto with Earl Thomas. These are the guys they've built around and they aren't going anywhere. While others might end up being sacrificed, the likes of Sherman, Thomas, Wilson and co are going to be locked up for the long haul.

Subzero717

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3eobvn66 said:
hawk45":3eobvn66 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3eobvn66 said:

I just can't see a team throwing that much money ($16m) at Sherman. As good as he is, he isn't a Revis/P.Peterson elite athlete.

What does Petersons athleticism have to do with anything. Are you saying he's a better CB than Sherm? Do you think he's more valuable? As a returner he's good. As a CB I think he's way overrated. Not that he's horrible. All Pro, not even close.

Prime Revis I think is better than Sherm.

Paying Sherm 12 mill is too much. Pay Earl.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":22ct1agl said:
hawk45":22ct1agl said:
theENGLISHseahawk":22ct1agl said:

I just can't see a team throwing that much money ($16m) at Sherman. As good as he is, he isn't a Revis/P.Peterson elite athlete. But to be honest, I don't think it'll ever get that far. He earns $690,606 in 2014. He would have to turn down $10-11m a year, play on less than $700k next season and hope that by the time free agency came around a year later, his stock would still be so high that he gets paid at the highest level possible for his position.

Or he could be the highest paid player on the Seattle Seahawks roster and set himself up for life this off-season.

I think it's a formality they come to an agreement, ditto with Earl Thomas. These are the guys they've built around and they aren't going anywhere. While others might end up being sacrificed, the likes of Sherman, Thomas, Wilson and co are going to be locked up for the long haul.

Adding onto this, he can be franchised still too so he may not even get that payday from another team for 2-3 years.