Cowgirls v s. The niners

knownone

Reaction score
1. I don't think anyone is putting Purdy in the same category as Mahomes, etc.

2. Him having to face adversity hasn't been his fault. He's playing with the best defense since the Hawk's D of 2012-2013. So it's not like he's needed to make a bunch of 4th quarter comebacks.

He's running Shanahan's offense to perfection with an insane supporting cast. That's been impressive, as much as it hurts me to say it.
We pretty much agree. They don't compare him to Mahomes because it's clearly ridiculous. However, many people have compared him to Brady, which is probably more absurd.

My point with that analogy was highlighting the insignificance of stats/wins when evaluating QB skill. For example, statistically, Purdy is significantly better than Mahomes (and the others mentioned) this season. And if the argument is that he's not a product of Shanahan's system/talent, then we'd have to assume he's close to that elite level. I don't think he's anywhere near it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We pretty much agree. They don't compare him to Mahomes because it's clearly ridiculous. However, many people have compared him to Brady, which is probably more absurd.

My point with that analogy was highlighting the insignificance of stats/wins when evaluating QB skill. For example, statistically, Purdy is significantly better than Mahomes (and the others mentioned) this season. And if the argument is that he's not a product of Shanahan's system/talent, then we'd have to assume he's close to that elite level. I don't think he's anywhere near it.

I think most of the praise being heaped on Purdy is obviously his play, but it also stems from being Mr. Irrelevant.

If he was a 1st round pick, he wouldn't be getting so much run. But again, as much as it hurts as a Hawk fan to say it, he is one of the best NFL stories going. Because of being the last pick which has like a .0003% chance of success in the league.

Let's hope he comes back down to earth. But it sure doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
At this juncture I see Purdy as a savvy game manager. He has a good feel for the game and he knows how to play his role in the offense. He avoids mistakes and is consistent.

I don’t however see him as world beater talent. He’s exactly the type of QB the 49ers need as they’re constructed though. He’s clearly above Jimmy G. Will he develop into a world beater? He might, I wouldn’t hold my breath on him becoming Brady, but he’s definitely no slouch.

evergreen

Reaction score
That niners team is ridiculously loaded. Way more so than our LOB days. How can they even gave $40 million in cap space?!!! Good thing the Super Bowl is months away.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I think at this time, it feels like the stars have been aligned for the 49ers to win the Superbowl. Really think about this for a second and hear me out:

The 49ers wasted THREE 1st round picks to draft Lance just to trade him to the Cowboys for ONE 4th round pick
-This disaster was made null by absolutely nailing on the very last pick of the next draft for Purdy.
The 49ers have lost multiple coaches and staff members
-The 49ers haven't skipped a beat at all despite that
The 49ers sent off Buckner (Who is still playing at an above average level) in 2020 for a 1st round pick and whiffed with that pick
-Doesn't matter because their defense is still legit, even though their pick hasn't replicated Buckner's production
The 49ers were RIDDLED with injuries over the whole season last year
-Still made it all the way to the NFCCG before losing due to Purdy's injury
Brock Purdy goes down from injury during the NFCCG EARLIER THIS YEAR with an injury that left people wondering if he'd be able to throw the same way again (was predicted at least 6+ months of recovery time)
-Makes a full recovery in just a few months and has been back to initial form

I'm sure I'm missing a lot more here, but doesn't it just FEEL like to everyone else that the 49ers are getting their way despite whatever setbacks happen? If CMC of all people (Who has a legit injury history and Shanahan has CLEARLY been using way more than the Panthers have) stays healthy all year, I'll be slightly convinced that this just might be the 49ers year to win it all. Just depends on Shanahan not choking AGAIN.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I don't think some of you watch these games at all.

Purdy throws to a lot of open receivers, but he absolutely dots guys in coverage. The Ayuk throw over the LB's head was beautiful, triple coverage near the endzone, dots to Samuel in a crowded middle of the field.

Yeah, it's nice to dump it to McCaffrey and have him escape 13 tackles, or hit Kittle who runs his routes perfectly, but this offense is good... but these aren't the best players of all time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
That niners team is ridiculously loaded. Way more so than our LOB days. How can they even gave $40 million in cap space?!!! Good thing the Super Bowl is months away.

Cause Mr. Irrelevant is only making 800k a year. Look at last night, Dak's making 40M a year.

That's how you keep affording to trade/pay all your stars, and sign 2-3 1st wave bigtime free agents every year.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I don't think some of you watch these games at all.

Purdy throws to a lot of open receivers, but he absolutely dots guys in coverage. The Ayuk throw over the LB's head was beautiful, triple coverage near the endzone, dots to Samuel in a crowded middle of the field.

Yeah, it's nice to dump it to McCaffrey and have him escape 13 tackles, or hit Kittle who runs his routes perfectly, but this offense is good... but these aren't the best players of all time.

He gets good protection.. which helps a little :)

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Cause Mr. Irrelevant is only making 800k a year. Look at last night, Dak's making 40M a year.

That's how you keep affording to trade/pay all your stars, and sign 2-3 1st wave bigtime free agents every year.
Why not..w e did it with Russ

chris98251

Reaction score
Purdy throws to a lot of open receivers, but he's also been absolutely diming them up even in coverage. I think any of the top 15 QBs in this league would have the same record as Purdy with this team, but I'm starting to give a LOT more credit to Purdy. He doesn't do a lot of missing.
Well we are still getting used to a QB that throws to open receivers here in Seattle, the previous guy seemed to overlook them alot and just air it deep.

Throwing to open receivers is what they are supposed to do as an easy pitch and catch, tight coverage throws in a window is about throwing guys open or in a space they can only get it. Purdy does both purtty good.

Torc

Reaction score
I think most of the praise being heaped on Purdy is obviously his play, but it also stems from being Mr. Irrelevant.

If he was a 1st round pick, he wouldn't be getting so much run. But again, as much as it hurts as a Hawk fan to say it, he is one of the best NFL stories going. Because of being the last pick which has like a .0003% chance of success in the league.

Let's hope he comes back down to earth. But it sure doesn't look like it's gonna happen.
I disagree with you about the 1st round pick - Ben Roethlisberger went 13-0 to as a starter in his rookie season, and was a first rounder. The media was all over him the same way they are with Purdy.

It is absolutely crazy that he is undefeated in games that he starts and finishes (so not counting when he was injured in the playoffs), and that in all but two of those wins the whiners scored 30+. That is not the sign of some dink and dunk offense to coddle the rookie.

It is 20 years too early to compare him to Brady, and I'm not convinced that he could carry the offense on his back like Mahomes. But the point is he doesn't have to. I'm of the opinion that the QB position is valued too highly at the expense of the rest of the team and he is exhibit A. They're paying the lowest amount they could for a starting QB unless they brought in an undrafted free agent, and as a result they're able to invest those resources into the skill positions around him. I don't know how you can argue that they aren't the best team in the NFL right now, no one is as complete.

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
He’s a bus driver which is all you need when you are supported by all of that talent. They are just asking him to not make mistakes and so far to his credit, he hasn’t.
So RW was just a bus driver? People claimed for years the RW threw up prayers only to be saved by guys like Lockett.

bileever

Reaction score
Honest question. Do you think Purdy can be labeled elite? I think he does what's asked of him , makes good decisions ie; doesn't make stupid mistakes . You might very well be correct yet I am kind of holding out hope that he isn't all that. He is almost in the same type situation #3 was in , a dominant defense, many many top tier weapons , CMC in the run game , and that other RB seems pretty dang good.
If Seattle is able to take one of the two games from SF this season that will be a success IMHO.
You're right, it's probably premature. It's mainly me just being depressed from watching last night's game. But make no mistake about it, Purdy is not just a game manager. Other QBs, like Jimmy Garoppolo, Sam Darnold and Trey Lance, have had the chance to play on this team, and their performances have not come close to this. If someone can't find his Kryptonite, 49er fans might as well start planning their trip to Las Vegas for February.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
Yet Jimmy G, and others haven't done as well. If Purdy was playing for the Hawks with his current numbers 12s would think he was the 2nd coming. I know it’s hard to admit but the kid seems to be the real deal.
Fair point, for sure. I disagree that he’s the real deal.

Marvin49

Reaction score

Really?

I kinda think the exact opposite.

I think most of America is waiting for him to fall on his face so they can say "I told you so". They can't believe this can happen with a 7th rounder.

If he was a 1st round pick I think the narrative would be can he be the best ever, he'd be compared to Mahomes night and day, and the hyperbole would be much larger.

I mean the dude is 10-0 in regular season, his team has scored 30+ in 8 of those 10 games, and his QB rating this year is 123.1.

Can you imagine if he were a first rounder and people weren't so eager to say "yeah, but"?

Yes...the Mr. Irrelevant thing certainly gets some play, but if people didn't have that assumption about him in their back pocket, this story would be out of control.