Cowgirls v s. The niners

morgulon1

Reaction score
Yup, I was hoping against hope that Purdy would end up being a mirage, but now I have to admit that the guy is the real deal. He's accurate, on time, and rarely makes mistakes. He processes so quickly and so well. Right now he's looking not just good, but elite. <sigh>

He seems like a good dude, too.
Honest question. Do you think Purdy can be labeled elite? I think he does what's asked of him , makes good decisions ie; doesn't make stupid mistakes . You might very well be correct yet I am kind of holding out hope that he isn't all that. He is almost in the same type situation #3 was in , a dominant defense, many many top tier weapons , CMC in the run game , and that other RB seems pretty dang good.
If Seattle is able to take one of the two games from SF this season that will be a success IMHO.

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
I haven’t seen the deep accuracy from Purdy that Brady had in his heyday. Most of Purdys passes have been fairly easy completions to wide open receivers on well schemed short and intermediate routes.
I think its more about his QB IQ and his ability to place the where the receiver will be before their break. He not a long ball guy but he certainly has no problem throwing farther than Jimmy G did and with accuracy.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I haven’t seen the deep accuracy from Purdy that Brady had in his heyday. Most of Purdys passes have been fairly easy completions to wide open receivers on well schemed short and intermediate routes.

I think that's a misnomer.

First off the part I agree with. He is not and never will be a bombs away very deep type thrower. He just doesn't have that arm.

Where I think you are wrong is that he is DEADLY accurate in the intermediate game. Over and over you will see him NOT throw the short pass and push the ball into the 20-30 yard range. His average air yards are MUCH higher than you would expect. He's dropping passes over LBs and under safeties. Hi accuracy in that range, no joke, has been the best in the NFL while he's been a starter.

Before last night (I haven't seen most recent numbers), he was 10th in the NFL on small window throws...so its NOT just hitting wide open guys.

Still REALLY early...but I don't know what people want to see to say he's not really good (not suggesting you are saying that).

Last edited:

94Smith

Reaction score
He’s number one in air yards per attempt in the league but keep telling yourself the same narrative that fits what you want to hear.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Purdy is extremely talented playing in a system that would make any QB shine. That’s not throwing shade, it’s truly how I feel.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Purdy is extremely talented playing in a system that would make any QB shine. That’s not throwing shade, it’s truly how I feel.
Purdy throws to a lot of open receivers, but he's also been absolutely diming them up even in coverage. I think any of the top 15 QBs in this league would have the same record as Purdy with this team, but I'm starting to give a LOT more credit to Purdy. He doesn't do a lot of missing.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Where I think you are wrong is that he is DEADLY accurate in the intermediate game. Over and over you will see him NOT throw the short pass and push the ball into the 20-30 yard range. His average air yards are MUCH higher than you would expect. He's dropping passes over LBs and under safeties. Hi accuracy in that range, no joke, has been the best in the NFL while he's been a starter.
Yeah his short and intermediate game has been very good, not denying that.

He’s number one in air yards per attempt in the league but keep telling yourself the same narrative that fits what you want to hear.

Air yards per attempt doesn't necessarily equate to deep ball accuracy though. Remember those 40-50 yard bombs from Brady to Moss with deadly accuracy back in the day? Yeah I haven't seen that from Purdy, so while he is very good, he is not going to be the next Tom Brady.

knownone

Reaction score
Does anyone remember when Kaepernick was getting all that praise, and Jaworski said he could be the greatest QB ever? What about when Niners fans were touting Jimmy G as the next Brady because he was undefeated over two seasons? We're seeing similar things with Purdy, albeit for different reasons. That's the benefit of playing for a legacy franchise; the media will help reinforce fan narratives.

Judging by the other teams running Kyle's system, there is nothing unique about Purdy's success. For example, what's the difference between Purdy and Tua? Tua doesn't have a top-five defense and has actually had to play from behind. What do they have in common? Both play with an absurd amount of talent on offense and coordinators who are great at getting them into space.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Does anyone remember when Kaepernick was getting all that praise, and Jaworski said he could be the greatest QB ever? What about when Niners fans were touting Jimmy G as the next Brady because he was undefeated over two seasons? We're seeing similar things with Purdy, albeit for different reasons. That's the benefit of playing for a legacy franchise; the media will help reinforce fan narratives.

Judging by the other teams running Kyle's system, there is nothing unique about Purdy's success. For example, what's the difference between Purdy and Tua? Tua doesn't have a top-five defense and has actually had to play from behind. What do they have in common? Both play with an absurd amount of talent on offense and coordinators who are great at getting them into space.

Tua's game is quite different than Purdy's, but you're right about the supporting cast. Arguably the most skill position talent in each conference.

I was guilty of prematurely casting Purdy off in the same vein, ah just an average QB with an insane amount of talent around him. But I've seen enough now to know that I was wrong. Dude's got football IQ, savvy, toughness and enough arm talent to make all the throws.

And he's not making any rookie/young QB mistakes, which sucks for Hawk fans. He doesn't throw picks, hold onto the ball too long and all the other inexperienced QB issues most have.

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
Yet Jimmy G, and others haven't done as well. If Purdy was playing for the Hawks with his current numbers 12s would think he was the 2nd coming. I know its hard to admit but the kid seems to be the real deal.

Marvin49

Reaction score

Not gonna argue point RE Purdy and Tua. They both have something that makes them very successful: Accuracy.

OF COURSE the playcalling and personnel make a difference....the point here is it isn't just a "drop any QB in there" situation. They have specific skillsets that make them ideal. Decision making, accuracy, fast processing, and ice in their veins.

knownone

Reaction score
Tua's game is quite different than Purdy's, but you're right about the supporting cast. Arguably the most skill position talent in each conference.

I was guilty of prematurely casting Purdy off in the same vein, ah just an average QB with an insane amount of talent around him. But I've seen enough now to know that I was wrong. Dude's got football IQ, savvy, toughness and enough arm talent to make all the throws.

And he's not making any rookie/young QB mistakes, which sucks for Hawk fans. He doesn't throw picks, hold onto the ball too long and all the other inexperienced QB issues most have.
You might be correct, but I don't see it yet. There is nothing about Purdy's game that stands out. And we've seen what happens to guys that leave San Fran: Jimmy G is suddenly terrible.

What I want Purdy fans to do is quite simple: Watch Mahomes, Herbert, Allen, and Lawrence and ask yourself if you honestly believe Purdy is in the same stratosphere as those guys. He's not. So, how do we explain his stats? Intangibles? Maybe. But how do we value intangibles in a guy who hasn't faced adversity in a game and overcame it?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
You might be correct, but I don't see it yet. There is nothing about Purdy's game that stands out. And we've seen what happens to guys that leave San Fran: Jimmy G is suddenly terrible.

What I want Purdy fans to do is quite simple: Watch Mahomes, Herbert, Allen, and Lawrence and ask yourself if you honestly believe Purdy is in the same stratosphere as those guys. He's not. So, how do we explain his stats? Intangibles? Maybe. But how do we value intangibles in a guy who hasn't faced adversity in a game and overcame it?

1. I don't think anyone is putting Purdy in the same category as Mahomes, etc.

2. Him having to face adversity hasn't been his fault. He's playing with the best defense since the Hawk's D of 2012-2013. So it's not like he's needed to make a bunch of 4th quarter comebacks.

He's running Shanahan's offense to perfection with an insane supporting cast. That's been impressive, as much as it hurts me to say it.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Russ seemed like a good dude at one time too. Hopefully Purdy will start reading his own press clippings, hire a scumbag baseball agent, and marry a wannabe pop star.
Russell was never modest or had any self humility.. purdy does.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Yup, I was hoping against hope that Purdy would end up being a mirage, but now I have to admit that the guy is the real deal. He's accurate, on time, and rarely makes mistakes. He processes so quickly and so well. Right now he's looking not just good, but elite. <sigh>

He seems like a good dude, too.
He’s a bus driver which is all you need when you are supported by all of that talent. They are just asking him to not make mistakes and so far to his credit, he hasn’t.