Cris Carter......

BamKam

Reaction score
A lot of classless BS in this thread.

Enough with the racist crap too.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Hell, Carter inspired all our receivers for the SB. We owe him a debt of thanks. Why bother to hate?
He's just another national mediot throwing schtuff against the wall to see what shiticks.
Didn't know he picked Seattle... despite our pedestrians.

His kid Duron looks like a marginal NFL talent. Maybe a couple years on Seattle's PS and he could become a #4 receiver for the Seahawks. When Kearse pulls a hammie Carter Jr. might get in for a play or two.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I honestly never had a huge problem with Cris Carter in the first place. He said what most people had in the back of their minds....the seahawks had mediocre receivers. If you asked most Hawk fans last year what the weak spot of our team was, they'd say the WR group. He is an analyst, he gave his opinion, it's his job. The main thing that bugged me about Chris Carter was how stubborn he was, and how unwilling he was to squash the beef between him and Doug.

Never been a big CC fan, but never had a problem with what he said. Angry Doug definitely thought otherwise.

Escamillo

Reaction score
raisethe3":3bn4xjfh said:
Wasn't it him when he called Doug and the receivers "pedestrians"??

No.
"pedestrian" the adjective, not "pedestrians" the noun. As in, "Seattle has pedestrian receivers." Though Baldwin did make a pun joke about it, implicitly referring to the noun. Later Golden Tate used the noun, but didn't really know what he was talking about.

Also, Carter says he never called our receivers "pedestrian". Which leads me to believe that it was Keyshawn Johnson who called them "pedestrian". Carter, I think, was the one who called our healthy receivers mere "appetizers", as opposed to the injured "main course" receivers Harvin and Rice.

People forget that Baldwin was calling out both Carter and Johnson (as well as some others in the media); people remember Carter because he got into a back-and-forth with Baldwin.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Slick":1djsfpxz said:
Chris Carter created the X-Files. Long running sci-fi mystery program on FoX. Why is Baldwin beefing with him? Did he hate the fact Mulder was written out of the show for the final two seasons?

Thanks a lot for spoiling it. I had planned on watching this in 2017.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":1jfaim3b said:
Hell, Carter inspired all our receivers for the SB. We owe him a debt of thanks. Why bother to hate?
He's just another national mediot throwing schtuff against the wall to see what shiticks.
Didn't know he picked Seattle... despite our pedestrians.

His kid Duron looks like a marginal NFL talent. Maybe a couple years on Seattle's PS and he could become a #4 receiver for the Seahawks. When Kearse pulls a hammie Carter Jr. might get in for a play or two.

Duron is too pedestrian for my taste. Plus listen to the way Carter says "football".

He lingers on the balls pronounciation.

Slick

Reaction score
Seanhawk":23cyxrct said:
Slick":23cyxrct said:
Chris Carter created the X-Files. Long running sci-fi mystery program on FoX. Why is Baldwin beefing with him? Did he hate the fact Mulder was written out of the show for the final two seasons?

Thanks a lot for spoiling it. I had planned on watching this in 2017.

Just delay watching until 2027. By that time you'll have forgotten this conversation and will be guarding your home with a plasma gun.

Donk70

Reaction score
Lithium":3awosyv6 said:
Has been giving Doug and our Receivers major props the last 2 days.

Yesterday he said something like "Baldwin has become their best receiver, he's making some big plays"

Today "they're making the most of their opportunities, just like last year in December and January, have to give them some respect"

Gained a little of my respect back.
Doug Baldwin being our best receiver isn't really saying a lot.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Donk70":1gep8gvo said:
Lithium":1gep8gvo said:
Has been giving Doug and our Receivers major props the last 2 days.

Yesterday he said something like "Baldwin has become their best receiver, he's making some big plays"

Today "they're making the most of their opportunities, just like last year in December and January, have to give them some respect"

Gained a little of my respect back.
Doug Baldwin being our best receiver isn't really saying a lot.

What it says is we are getting the WR position handled with minimal draft and salary cap costs, and thus freed up to spend dollars and draft choices on more fast and nasty defensive players. Oops, forget the Percy Harvin fiasco. What, we picked a WR, Richardson, in the 2nd round? OK, really that was a 3rd round pick, at the bottom of 2.

But we did get Kevin Pierre Louis, Cassius Marsh, Tharald Simon, Bruce Irvin, Jordan Hill, signed Cliff Avril, Tony McDaniel, Kevin Williams, etc. All partially made possible by being cheap in our WR position expenses.

Baldwin - UDFA
Kearse - UDFA
Willson - 5th Round
Norwood - 4th Round
Richardson - 2nd Round (last pick)
Lockette - FA, Cheap
Moeaki - FA, Cheap
Miller - FA

Really, we should be expecting big things of Richardson as he and Russell develop chemistry. For the Hawks to burn a 2nd on a WR, they must really like him.

It's because we have cheap receivers (and OL) who outperform their contracts that we can splurge on D and have the dominant defense we now have.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":enig13uk said:
What it says is we are getting the WR position handled with minimal draft and salary cap costs, and thus freed up to spend dollars and draft choices on more fast and nasty defensive players. Oops, forget the Percy Harvin fiasco. What, we picked a WR, Richardson, in the 2nd round? OK, really that was a 3rd round pick, at the bottom of 2.

But we did get Kevin Pierre Louis, Cassius Marsh, Tharald Simon, Bruce Irvin, Jordan Hill, signed Cliff Avril, Tony McDaniel, Kevin Williams, etc. All partially made possible by being cheap in our WR position expenses.

Baldwin - UDFA
Kearse - UDFA
Willson - 5th Round
Norwood - 4th Round
Richardson - 2nd Round (last pick)
Lockette - FA, Cheap
Moeaki - FA, Cheap
Miller - FA

Really, we should be expecting big things of Richardson as he and Russell develop chemistry. For the Hawks to burn a 2nd on a WR, they must really like him.

It's because we have cheap receivers (and OL) who outperform their contracts that we can splurge on D and have the dominant defense we now have.

We can't just forget the Percy Harvin fiasco, it was proof that we were putting a lot of stock into our passing game, contrary to what people are believing. Plus Richardson was picked in the top half of the second round, with our first pick, saying he's a third rounder is wrong. That's our top two picks in the last two years spent on helping our passing offense.

Sure Percy hasn't worked out, but we tried, and we'll try again. There's no way our FO is happy with our passing game, for starters Russ's completion percentage isn't near enough to that 70% Pete was targeting, and you have to believe that we're wanting more big plays than we're getting in the air.

Pete's always looking to progress, and just because we're getting by in the pass game doesn't mean we're going to try and do the same next year. I expect us to strengthen early in the draft/FA.

olyfan63

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1q475not said:
We can't just forget the Percy Harvin fiasco, it was proof that we were putting a lot of stock into our passing game, contrary to what people are believing. Plus Richardson was picked in the top half of the second round, with our first pick, saying he's a third rounder is wrong. That's our top two picks in the last two years spent on helping our passing offense.

Sure Percy hasn't worked out, but we tried, and we'll try again. There's no way our FO is happy with our passing game, for starters Russ's completion percentage isn't near enough to that 70% Pete was targeting, and you have to believe that we're wanting more big plays than we're getting in the air.

Pete's always looking to progress, and just because we're getting by in the pass game doesn't mean we're going to try and do the same next year. I expect us to strengthen early in the draft/FA.

Thanks for the corrections on the Paul Richardson draft pick. Yes, he was actually a first-round pick--traded down several times, and picked at #45.

And I agree with everything you say... "forget the Percy Harvin fiasco" was tongue-in-cheek way of saying that Pete had spent big bucks trying to upgrade the passing attack with Percy Harvin, and if we temporarily ignore data like that, I can point out how our current cheap receivers enable us to both absorb the horrendous cost of that failure, and afford some speedy and talented defensive players.

After all, one of the first things Pete did in Seattle was bring in Sidney Rice to be the #1 receiver, and at a huge contract. After that, he brought in Zach Miller, who had decent receiving stats in Oakland, but has been relegated to more like the usual "Outside Tackle" OL that Seattle has had an ongoing love affair with.

So yes, I fully expect Pete and John will make a big, fast #1 receiver a high priority next year, and will be willing to spend to do it. He's just had crap for luck with game-changing receivers, with Rice's injuries and Harvin's mental illness.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1jtk9nsq said:
olyfan63":1jtk9nsq said:
We can't just forget the Percy Harvin fiasco, it was proof that we were putting a lot of stock into our passing game, contrary to what people are believing. Plus Richardson was picked in the top half of the second round, with our first pick, saying he's a third rounder is wrong. That's our top two picks in the last two years spent on helping our passing offense..

Both Harvin and Richardson were to try and add dynamic players to the offense, not necessarily because we wanted to increase the pass. Big difference to what you're saying here.

That's why Harvin got pissed off and starting crying like a baby, because he thought he was going to get the ball on 50% of the snaps, and not be a decoy most of the time in order to open up the offense for other players.

I don't blame Pete and John for thinking Harvin could accomplish this, and it SHOULD have worked if Harvin wasn't a jack ass that didn't want to play snaps that he didn't think he'd get the ball.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
There are two things about Carter and his comments that I find obtuse.
1. He is suppose to be an analyst. Analyst thoroughly research a subject and convey in an intelligent manner their findings. Obviously he did not research thoroughly the receiving corp as utilized in our system. Carter was a big play and high volume wr and he judges everything on that. He is also of the old school mind in that if a wr was not taken in the first three rounds of the draft you can't be that good.

2. Carter is a very shallow commentator. He got his ass handed to him by the play of our wr corp in the Super Bowl and he had to take a step back, especially after his fellow analysts brought up his comments. He has been mostly quiet during the regular season this year as far as our wr corp goes but now sees the resurgence of our offense so he is jumping on board the bandwagon. Burn me once I guess.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1w3m914l said:
SomersetHawk":1w3m914l said:
olyfan63":1w3m914l said:
We can't just forget the Percy Harvin fiasco, it was proof that we were putting a lot of stock into our passing game, contrary to what people are believing. Plus Richardson was picked in the top half of the second round, with our first pick, saying he's a third rounder is wrong. That's our top two picks in the last two years spent on helping our passing offense..

Both Harvin and Richardson were to try and add dynamic players to the offense, not necessarily because we wanted to increase the pass. Big difference to what you're saying here.

That's why Harvin got pissed off and starting crying like a baby, because he thought he was going to get the ball on 50% of the snaps, and not be a decoy most of the time in order to open up the offense for other players.

I don't blame Pete and John for thinking Harvin could accomplish this, and it SHOULD have worked if Harvin wasn't a jack ass that didn't want to play snaps that he didn't think he'd get the ball.

And where did I say we wanted to 'increase the pass'? I was just making a point that we've not actually been neglecting our passing offense, and have spent our last two top-picks (among others) on trying to improve it. Is that so contentious?

Anyway, at the start of the year, 'increasing the pass' is exactly what we were doing, at least, the pass:run percentage had increased from the previous year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":pi7mgol1 said:
Sgt. Largent":pi7mgol1 said:
SomersetHawk":pi7mgol1 said:
olyfan63":pi7mgol1 said:

And where did I say we wanted to 'increase the pass'? I was just making a point that we've not actually been neglecting our passing offense, and have spent our last two top-picks (among others) on trying to improve it. Is that so contentious?

Anyway, at the start of the year, 'increasing the pass' is exactly what we were doing, at least, the pass:run percentage had increased from the previous year.

You didn't, olyfan did. I just mistakenly included you in my quotes. So rest easy my friend, your good name has not been besmirched.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":14z7rebj said:
SomersetHawk":14z7rebj said:
Sgt. Largent":14z7rebj said:

You didn't, olyfan did. I just mistakenly included you in my quotes. So rest easy my friend, your good name has not been besmirched.

Now you're misquoting me/inventing a misleading quote. I didn't say "increase the pass" in the way that seems to be implied. I have said that Pete has spent major draft and salary cap capital since he's been here to have a strong, capable passing game. That's simply a fact. Rice, Harvin, Richardson being cases in point. As far as the run/pass mix, that will simply be something that Pete and his OC sort out. I'm pretty sure Pete's position is simply that he wants to have the capability to do *either* very effectively when the situation calls for it, to have a more dangerous offense.