Curhan as TE like George Fant?

toffee

Reaction score
If Lucas starts as RT with Forsythe as backup swing tackle, any chance to slim down Curhan some and okay him as blocking TE like we used to with Fant?

sutz

Reaction score
IMO, unnecessary. When we had Fant doing that we were short handed in the TE room and the guys we had were mostly receiving TEs not blockers. I think our current TEs can handle the job. Also, I'm not sure Forsythe has outright won a job this year. Curhan kind of earned his stripes last season by playing well down the stretch. He'll be in the mix to compete for starting RT this year.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think the backup swing tackle would be the guy I'd look to in a package that calls for an extra blocker ala Fant, so I'd go Stone over Curhan there profile-wise.

Not sure they'll have anything like that in the playbook though

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I think the backup swing tackle would be the guy I'd look to in a package that calls for an extra blocker ala Fant, so I'd go Stone over Curhan there profile-wise.

Not sure they'll have anything like that in the playbook though
Good point, Stone is more athletic than Curhan. but still a lot slower than Fant.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Good point, Stone is more athletic than Curhan. but still a lot slower than Fant.
True.

All-in-all, Lucas is probably the guy who gets the role, if the role exists. I think he loses to Curhan initially. Abe's an agile dude.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
All-in-all, Lucas is probably the guy who gets the role, if the role exists. I think he loses to Curhan initially. Abe's an agile dude.
I wonder if he can catch passes?

Not the sort of thing he'd do regularly, but a surprise at an opportune time could swing a ball game.

Spohawks

Reaction score
As Curhan's biggest fan, I don't see TE in his future at all. But I do think he will make the Pro Bowl this year or next!

Total side note...I catch myself wondering if Pete drafted 2 starting tackles as a punch in Wilson's face after making him run for his life and gets injured.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I wonder if he can catch passes?

Not the sort of thing he'd do regularly, but a surprise at an opportune time could swing a ball game.
Russ made all but one pass to Fant, but yes, that TE could be the surprise pass that swing a ball game.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Russ made all but one pass to Fant, but yes, that TE could be the surprise pass that swing a ball game.
The "he" I was referring to was Abe Lucas. I should have been more specific.

I wouldn't be looking for him to change positions, just wondering if an occasional package with six down linemen might have a use for a pass catching Lucas.