Dan Quinn & Mike MacDonald Interviews

Fade

Reaction score
One thing about DQ and how it's just the same thing as Pete on D. I think it was prior to this season but I did see or read something about Quinn's scheme and how it's not the same cover 3 scheme that he and Pete used and that he took to Atlanta. What I saw said that he's evolved his scheme from that
He plays a lot of 2 man now. And runs stunts at a high rate to manufacture pressure. Which he doesn't even need to do, since he has Parsons.

Schematically, he would be a good choice, with Woolen & Witherspoon on the roster.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Quinn took over a Dallas defense in the top 10 in three of the past four seasons. They had a down year the year before he took over because of injuries. They were still loaded with talent.

Quinn is a good culture builder. He feels like the safe move.

Macdonald is who I would target. But that's a risky move on paper. He's 36 and doesn't have experience building a program. That is the biggest issue with the McVay-style-young hires. It is not scheme or relative genius. It's that many younger coaches are not ready to lead an organization. Scheme advantages don't last. Culture and infrastructure do.

So if I were JS, the question is, can Macdonald build a winning culture, or is he a product of Harbaugh's culture?
What would help Macdonald here is at least he’s in a program that is similar to Seattle, a great one that people love to play for. It doesn’t mean he can do it but at least he was there to witness it, be a part of it etc. would make me feel a little better than someone who comes from another program. Baltimore might be the closest thing to what Pete built here actually.

I want him over Quinn but JP and Fade made great points. I think it’s just my nature to want the new shiny toy but both would be solid. DQ just bores me and it shouldn’t but it does lol. But if he’s the pick I’ll be excited about the future too.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
im trying to figure out why so many people are so against DQ lol. Jfc please tell me its more then because of a SB that SHANAHAN was his oc for? lol
He's been on multiple teams and succeeded... built 3 different defense, from LOB to Atlanta to Dallas... all smash mouth defenses. Or is it this belief that we HAVVVVVVVEEEEE To have an Offense minded coach to succeed? Because I find that amusing as well. You need BALANCE to succeed.

Balance. You nailed it.

Edit: Smash mouth. You nailed it.

knownone

Reaction score
What would help Macdonald here is at least he’s in a program that is similar to Seattle, a great one that people love to play for. It doesn’t mean he can do it but at least he was there to witness it, be a part of it etc. would make me feel a little better than someone who comes from another program. Baltimore might be the closest thing to what Pete built here actually.

I want him over Quinn but JP and Fade made great points. I think it’s just my nature to want the new shiny toy but both would be solid. DQ just bores me and it shouldn’t but it does lol. But if he’s the pick I’ll be excited about the future too.
I'm with you on wanting the shiny new toy. But my question is, did players love to play for Seattle, or did they love to play for Pete? Because Pete's culture is ephemeral, it will slowly leave with him. So, Macdonald would have to establish his own culture and infrastructure, and simply being a part of a winning culture doesn't mean you can build one.

It's tricky. But I'd still rather take a shot at someone like Macdonald than Dan Quinn for reasons similar to yours. Quinn is boring and safe, and I don't think he's on the same level as Mcvay or Shanahan. I don't believe he's Pete 2.0, but I don't think he elevates the team any higher than Pete.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm with you on wanting the shiny new toy. But my question is, did players love to play for Seattle, or did they love to play for Pete? Because Pete's culture is ephemeral, it will slowly leave with him. So, Macdonald would have to establish his own culture and infrastructure, and simply being a part of a winning culture doesn't mean you can build one.

It's tricky. But I'd still rather take a shot at someone like Macdonald than Dan Quinn for reasons similar to yours. Quinn is boring and safe, and I don't think he's on the same level as Mcvay or Shanahan. I don't believe he's Pete 2.0, but I don't think he elevates the team any higher than Pete.
This honestly matches my thoughts to a tee.

renofox

Reaction score
I'm more than ready to move on from PC's "You Be You" culture towards BB's "Do Your Job" culture.

I'm more old-school "team comes first" attitude than "just do your best" attitude.

Having favorites based on anything other than actual production within the team-first framework is something I just don't get. They're men and should be treated as such.

Support everyone fully while holding everyone equally accountable, but make decisions re: contracts and playing time based strictly on value added to the TEAM'S ability to win games. How hard is that?

hawks85

Reaction score
If DQ becomes the next HC then I dont get firing PC.
DQ's Defense got bitch slapped by the 9ers this year. 42 to something. I don't want that. Besides, I think they are interviewing DQ just to interview him. I believe with the bottom of my heart that Seattle wants McDonald.

hawks85

Reaction score
More importantly Mccy D did it with scheme.

He doesn't have superstar pass rushers like a Watt or a Bosa. He schemes it up, and confuses the opponent. Opposite of how Pete does it.

These are my top 2 defensive choices.
Though I'd favor going with an offensive guy.

Quinn is very miscast out here like he is Pete Carroll 2. He isn't.

He took over the 32nd ranked defense in Dallas when he got there. Turned them top 5 over night with 1 draft class. Not a bunch free agent signings or blockbuster trades. 1 draft class.

He plays a lot of man, masks his coverages, and stunts like there is no tomorrow. Quinn is man.
Well, his defense got bitch slapped by the 9ers this year, so

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
For me personally I don't want Dan Quinn BECAUSE he's the "safe and obvious choice", that's exactly why I don't want him as HC. I want JS to make a bold move like the Dolphins with Mike McDaniel -- someone who can light this offense on fire and help mold the QBotF.

I'm really hoping they give Bobby Slowik a chance, however the more I read about Ben Johnson, the more he's growing on me so I wouldn't be disappointed by him either.

At the end of the day I'm still going to root for my favorite team and support them, it's just exciting thinking about the possibilities of a "shiny new toy" as has been said, instead of a kind of lackluster "safe and obvious" choice.

Wsumatt1982

Reaction score
If it were up to me my top 3 choices as follows

1) Johnson
2) Slowik
3) McDonald

I believe we need a young offensive guy but if those top 2 are not available a guy who oversaw an all time top D would be a great consolation prize. Which of these guys are most ready for the next step. My money is on Johnson

LastRideOut

Reaction score
I don't want DQ for the same reasons as cited above.

I'm inclined towards hiring a head coach from the College ranks, but not Harbaugh.

I'm a bit picky I know. I just hope the Seahawks brass makes the right choice. I would have liked DeBoer.

renofox

Reaction score
If it were up to me my top 3 choices as follows

1) Johnson
2) Slowik
3) McDonald

I believe we need a young offensive guy but if those top 2 are not available a guy who oversaw an all time top D would be a great consolation prize. Which of these guys are most ready for the next step. My money is on Johnson
Close to my preference, as of today.
1. Johnson
2. Slowic
3. Be-enemy however it's spelled

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I’m not sure why anyone would want DQ who’s D got lit up by the Niners offense over MM who destroyed the Niners.

Not to mention DQ was a PC hire and I suspect JS wants to go a different direction forward not revisit the past.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
1. Johnson, he's ready to be a head coach.
2. Harbaugh, can come in a win instantly.
3. Mcdonald, he is creative and aggressive.
4. Slowik, pass, needs more than 1yr as OC.
5. Quinn, sorry we will be 9-8 for years to come.

FormerEvil

Reaction score
im trying to figure out why so many people are so against DQ lol. Jfc please tell me its more then because of a SB that SHANAHAN was his oc for? lol
He's been on multiple teams and succeeded... built 3 different defense, from LOB to Atlanta to Dallas... all smash mouth defenses. Or is it this belief that we HAVVVVVVVEEEEE To have an Offense minded coach to succeed? Because I find that amusing as well. You need BALANCE to succeed.
With you100%. Dan Quinn is my first choice. These internet flavor of the month candidates with no head coaching xp do nothing for me and I think would be a big mistake. This position is tailor made for DQ to step into and succeed. Quinn was always the heir apparent for the HC job in Seattle. DQ would be a great choice. I'd be very excited about him or even if we could lure Saleh away and bring him back to Seattle somehow.

12forlife

Reaction score

I'm with you in Johnson or McDonald, over Quinn? I wonder though how much the Dallas players think of him, maybe we are able to steal some players from Dallas's D, which would sweet if they're the right guys. Especially if they lose tomorrow and they fire McCarthy, for Belichick?

chris98251

Reaction score
Remember a Head Coach is no longer a coordinator and needs guys that can run a type of offense or defense a Head Coach wants. Whomever we bring in will need to hire those. He can dictate the type or version, but he will not be in heart and soul, he has to manage special teams as well as the offense and defense as well as personnel.

So what the guy needs is a good network and ability to communicate his wants, a network of coaches that believe in his vision and can execute it, then a GM that can bring in players to play in them. I think that's where new Head Coaches fail.

Latest posts