Darrell Bevell OTA Press Conference 6/2/15

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
^^^ Bevell's comments were made in the heat of the moment .... long since addressed internally.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
LymonHawk":wrlwld0d said:
Scottemojo":wrlwld0d said:
Siouxhawk":wrlwld0d said:
LymonHawk":wrlwld0d said:
Hey Sioux, you're wasting your time with these folks. Why don't you ask them to show you the post where they complained when we used this same play and it worked?

I've asked that question many times and as of yet I haven't seen any take up the challenge. But yet they still keep stealing threads to whine about it. Watcha gonna do? :les:
I just despise the ganging up on one individual from a fluid situation where many of the moving parts were thrown out of kilter. Too many what ifs, not just on that play, but through the whole course of the game, to heap it all on one individual who was doing his best to bring another championship to Seattle.
Did or did not Browner tell the world after the game that he knew the play when he saw the formation, and that they had practiced that specific defense on his advice to Belichick? It was, wasn't it? If you are being a tricksy little playcaller, at least dial up something Browner has not seen.

Darrell Bevell is here for this year. There is nothing more to say. Unless we want to talk about his presser, which was pretty much standard filler.

Gee, do you think no one in the NFL has watched film of the opposing team? Do you remember Lofa calling out the other team's play before the play happened? Remember after the Denver SB how our defense said they knew what plays were coming? How many of our DBs are former Denver players who told PC what plays to practice for?

So much for your argument.
So, you don't think there is a such thing as a bad play call?

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Fade":w5bo8tbm said:
Siouxhawk":w5bo8tbm said:
LymonHawk":w5bo8tbm said:
Hey Sioux, you're wasting your time with these folks. Why don't you ask them to show you the post where they complained when we used this same play and it worked?

I've asked that question many times and as of yet I haven't seen any take up the challenge. But yet they still keep stealing threads to whine about it. Watcha gonna do? :les:
I just despise the ganging up on one individual from a fluid situation where many of the moving parts were thrown out of kilter. Too many what ifs, not just on that play, but through the whole course of the game, to heap it all on one individual who was doing his best to bring another championship to Seattle.

166.gif

Or maybe, just maybe, he just isn't that good.

If he was he would be a HC by now.

*edit* Its not just about 1 play, its about his play calling as a whole. Especially his redzone play calling.

If he struggles in the redzone this year with the addition of Jimmy Graham, he won't have an excuse.

Seattle was 29th in the redzone last year. 31st goal to go. That is HORRIBLE. That is why Seattle traded for Jimmy Graham in the first place.

Amazingly enough Wilson is actually pretty good in the redzone although his completion % is lower than I thought

89/169 53% 679 yards 49TD/2INT 97.4 rating.....also has 220 rushing yards and 9TD

For comparison

LUCK
116/221 53% 711 yards 52TD/5INT 89.4 rating....also has 169 rushing yards and 12TD

I also want to point out as a sidenote since I noticed it.. Luck for his career against the NFC has a 83.4 rating with 25TD/15INT in 12 games and his lowest QB rating by division is against the NFC West with a 74.9 rating

NEWTON (in 1 more season)
93/208 45% 747 yards 48TD/8INT 77.9 QB rating...also has 304 rushing yards and a godly 32 rushing TD :thirishdrinkers:

TANNEHILL
116/197 59% 757 yards 50TD/4INT 98.3 rating....also has 32 rushing yards and 4TD

DALTON(in 1 more season)
140/251 56%. 1019 yards 68TD/3INT 100.1 rating. Also has 98 rushing yards 10TD and a 18 yard receiving TD

Fade

Reaction score
PackerNation":3lty20v9 said:
Fade":3lty20v9 said:
nope. Schneider.

Things don't happen in a vacuum in Seattle. While Schneider is the GM and will get credit for pulling the trigger and selecting him, Pete Carroll and Darrell Bevell also get credit for not only watching and scouting his games, but attending his pro day (which very few scouts did) and talking to other professionals about drafting smaller QB's and reaching out to people who knew Wilson personally. A lot of things fell into place and a lot of people were involved, in particular, Darrell Bevell.

The amount of work the Seahawks did on Wilson before being certain they could win with a quarterback who wasn't much taller than the DePere native Schneider himself was intensive. They tapped into every resource they had to help make the decision.

Quarterbacks coach Carl Smith had insight from a high school teammate of his son's who had been drafted by the Rockies and was Wilson's roommate at Class A Asheville. Smith, who was living in Asheville after being fired from Jacksonville, watched the games on the Internet almost every night.

"He told me what kind of guy he was," Smith said of Wilson's roommate.

Carroll was connected professionally with former Minnesota Vikings coach Bud Grant, who had gone to three Super Bowls with Fran Tarkenton as his quarterback. Grant had a ton of insight on what kind of adjustments were necessary playing with a short quarterback.

"Pete talked to Coach Grant a lot about Fran Tarkenton and the way he played because Fran was only 5-10," Schneider said.

Bevell said he and the scouts broke down all of Wilson's games dating to his time at North Carolina State, looking for flaws that might cause him to fail in the NFL. They cut up the tape so that they could see him in every type of situation and get a sense how they would have to structure their offense with him in it.

"We just watched him," Smith said. "And I would tell Coach, he's not running plays the same way as these same plays look with other quarterbacks. And it's like, he's terrific out of the pocket. He was at Wisconsin.

If Schneider was so sold on Wilson then why does he sign Matt Flynn to a 3 year deal with so much money guaranteed? Let's be honest, Schneider liked Wilson but he never traded up to grab him or made any moves that would assure Wilson was going to land in Seattle. As fate would have it, Wilson falls to Seattle and now Schneider gets a ton of credit for finding an elite QB that a lot of other teams passed on. So it goes in the life of an NFL General Manager.

As far as Bevell not having a Head Coaching job, that is really not a slight on him as an Offensive coordinator. He is well respected around the league and has had several interviews. He is working his way up the chain and he may get a shot someday. But even if he fails as a head coach, doesn't mean he isn't a great OC. Holmgren was a great OC and a great HC but not a very good GM. Ray Rhodes is a great DC and a lousy HC and he was a HC on 2 different teams and was terrible in both organizations. Great DC though.

Bevell isn't really the issue in Seattle with the offense. The fact is you really have 2 outstanding guys on the offense and the rest are very average or below average. Jimmy Graham will help this year but your WR's could use a make over big time and the offensive line forces Wilson to make a lot of plays from nothing. Bevell should get some credit for doing a lot with very few weapons.

Well, I know I am not going to change your mind but I thought I would state the case for keeping the ship steady and moving forward. No reason to fire a guy over 1 play, no matter how dramatic it was. Sometimes the guys that get you to the cusp just fall a bit short in the end. You learn and move on and hopefully get another shot.

1299.gif

Matt Flynn was signed well before the draft. There was no guarantee that Seattle would come out of the draft with Wilson. Flynn inadvertently became a smoke screen.

Do you have any audio, video, or documented evidence, stating Bevell was the guy that unearthed Russell Wilson? You are the first person I have ever heard making this claim, and I have been following the Seahawks on a near daily basis since the 90's.

I presented 2 pieces of video evidence. PROVING me right. T'was Schneider.

161101-I-feel-like-Im-taking-crazy-pi-XFi6.jpeg

Can anyone else help me out on this one?

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":khrwoyli said:
So, you don't think there is a such thing as a bad play call?

Where did I say that? (Nice try at deflection, though.)

Here's the ironic part: First you/folks bash Bevell for not 'fessin' up to his alleged blunder. But when it comes to you admitting you were wrong, all you do is try to deflect by asking me a question.

I ain't senile yet, Scotteboy. :les:

Besides, I learned from the best.....Da Rocket!

Fade

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1i6bqocx said:
Fade":1i6bqocx said:
Siouxhawk":1i6bqocx said:
LymonHawk":1i6bqocx said:

166.gif

Or maybe, just maybe, he just isn't that good.

If he was he would be a HC by now.

*edit* Its not just about 1 play, its about his play calling as a whole. Especially his redzone play calling.

If he struggles in the redzone this year with the addition of Jimmy Graham, he won't have an excuse.

Seattle was 29th in the redzone last year. 31st goal to go. That is HORRIBLE. That is why Seattle traded for Jimmy Graham in the first place.

Amazingly enough Wilson is actually pretty good in the redzone although his completion % is lower than I thought

89/169 53% 679 yards 49TD/2INT 97.4 rating.....also has 220 rushing yards and 9TD

For comparison

LUCK
116/221 53% 711 yards 52TD/5INT 89.4 rating....also has 169 rushing yards and 12TD

I also want to point out as a sidenote since I noticed it.. Luck for his career against the NFC has a 83.4 rating with 25TD/15INT in 12 games and his lowest QB rating by division is against the NFC West with a 74.9 rating

NEWTON (in 1 more season)
93/208 45% 747 yards 48TD/8INT 77.9 QB rating...also has 304 rushing yards and a godly 32 rushing TD :thirishdrinkers:

TANNEHILL
116/197 59% 757 yards 50TD/4INT 98.3 rating....also has 32 rushing yards and 4TD

DALTON(in 1 more season)
140/251 56%. 1019 yards 68TD/3INT 100.1 rating. Also has 98 rushing yards 10TD and a 18 yard receiving TD

Thank You for proving my point.

Despite having Russell Wilson & Marshawn Lynch.

The 2014 Seattle Seahawks led by the impervious Darrell Bevell ranked 29th in the redzone & 31st in goal to goal situations.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
don't you ever use Dr. Brule in an unworthy manner. how damn dare you.

Fade

Reaction score
Darrell Bevell now has the top TD rusher of the last 4 years. Marshawn Lynch. The top TD receiver of the last 4 years. Jimmy Graham. and the top dual threat QB in the NFL. Russell Wilson.

So they obviously should be in the top 3 in the redzone given that personnel, but they were 29th last year so........

FanSince82

Reaction score
Marlin Man":3v4t8tuo said:
Do you ever wonder how we've had any success at all with him calling plays?

Because we have one of the top 4 greatest defenses in the history of football and Russell Wilson?

The Patriots OC called a better game than Bevell can even dream of. This was the reason things started going bad for Pete at SC: clinging to incompetent coordinators.

chris98251

Reaction score
FanSince82":feds5pn2 said:
Marlin Man":feds5pn2 said:
Do you ever wonder how we've had any success at all with him calling plays?

Because we have one of the top 4 greatest defenses in the history of football and Russell Wilson?

The Patriots OC called a better game than Bevell can even dream of. This was the reason things started going bad for Pete at SC: clinging to incompetent coordinators.

The OC had a pretty easy job that day for the Patriots, 4 out of 5 LOB injured, Avril injured yet they still were a bad play call away from losing that game.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Lots of fantasy football types on this tread.
Red zone accuracy doesn't mean a thing if more often than not you're team is scoring more points than the opponent.
Last I looked, the concept of the game was to have a bigger number on the scoreboard than your would-be foe. With Bevell as OC, more often than not the Seahawks have accomplished just that.

Fade

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1o6qm9e5 said:
Lots of fantasy football types on this tread.
Red zone accuracy doesn't mean a thing if more often than not you're team is scoring more points than the opponent.
Last I looked, the concept of the game was to have a bigger number on the scoreboard than your would-be foe. With Bevell as OC, more often than not the Seahawks have accomplished just that.
1031.gif

*edit* Then why did the Hawks trade for Jimmy Graham?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2olytkys said:
Fade":2olytkys said:
It's obvious at this point that you are not a Hawks fan. How's the weather in Palo Alto?
His location to Seattle is A LOT closer than yours, but that doesn't make him a better or worse fan than you are.

You think DB is a great OC, some of us think he kind of stinks at his job.

We are all Hawks fans even if we disagree with each other's opinion from time to time.

The sun will rise tomorrow even if someone disagrees with one's POV.

PackerNation

Reaction score
Fade":2ft8iryd said:
Do you have any audio, video, or documented evidence, stating Bevell was the guy that unearthed Russell Wilson? You are the first person I have ever heard making this claim, and I have been following the Seahawks on a near daily basis since the 90's.

I keep posting evidence but you don't want to read it. Here:

Darrell Bevell was an early observer of just how composed Russell Wilson can be when everything is coming unglued around him.

Before the Seahawks considered selecting the quarterback in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Even before Wilson had won the starting job as a rookie. Long before he tied the NFL rookie record by throwing 26 touchdown passes while leading the Seahawks to an 11-5 record and the franchise’s first road playoff victory since 1983.

That’s because Bevell was a quarterback at the University of Wisconsin long before becoming the Seahawks’ offensive coordinator.

“That’s something I noticed when he was at Wisconsin,” Bevell said through a smile. “I watch all their games, obviously. So just sitting there watching, not having any clue (he would end up with the Seahawks), just a fan at the time, I couldn’t believe how poised he was.”

Schneider went to the Big Ten Championship game where he came back raving about Wilson. Bevell had already been watching Wilson all season long. Bevell and Schneider worked together back in Green Bay where Bevell was the QB coach. Bevell and Schneider had an excellent relationship.

You don't think Bevell had anything to do with Wilson coming to Seattle?? You are freaking crazy.....

As I have already pointed out, Schneider will get all the glory for the Wilson pick but things do not happen in a vacuum. You don't think Bevell has connections inside Wisconsin? Doesn't talk to coaches and players out there? That is his alma mater....

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Thank you PackerNation.
Your posts were not lost on me. Just a bunch of unfounded Bevell hate on here that cloud's people's judgements.
You said it succinctly when you stated that Russell's discovery by the Seahawks didn't come in a vacuum. Anyone who knows anything would realize that Bevell has close ties to the University of Wisconsin, so naturally he was going to have the inside scoop on Russell.
Good work.

kearly

Reaction score
PackerNation":1j6sdtlv said:
Fade":1j6sdtlv said:
Schneider?

Bevell scouted him and brought it to their attention about how good Wilson was.

Bevell had nothing to do with it.

In 2012 off-season, Bevell was scouting quarterback Russell Wilson, who attended Wisconsin, his alma mater. Bevell attended Wilson's pro-day which very few NFL scouts attended. Through the off-season, the Seahawks obtained Green Bay Packers back-up quarterback Matt Flynn who experts thought was Bevell's choice of quarterback. Going into the 2012 NFL Draft it was thought Seattle was set at the quarterback position since they had Flynn and Tarvaris Jackson, but for whatever reason Seahawks decided to add one more, drafting Russell Wilson out of University of Wisconsin-Madison in the third round. Thoughts on selecting Wilson, Pete Carroll stated, "It was Bevell's project". In training camp the quarterback competition was thinned out between two, after Jackson was traded to the Buffalo Bills.

That quote is taken wildly out of context. It is likely referring to Carroll tasking Bevell with coaching Wilson up in the NFL.

JS had been following Russell Wilson since his earliest days at NC State, long before Bevell joined Seattle in 2011. JS was also the guy who sold Wilson to Carroll, and had to over-ride the objections of his entire scouting department. It was a JS pick all the way.

Besides, OC's don't really scout players anyway. They attend pro-days and watch the video cutups during draft season with the rest of the coaches, and they are asked for their opinions, but they aren't scouts. Obviously, an OC can't fly across the country to watch games on Saturday then call a game the next day in the NFL. By the time one of the coaches is evaluating a player, the front office had already narrowed down thousands of players they've been scouting since high school down to a few dozen and gives that short list of prospects to the coaches for them to review.

Fade

Reaction score
PackerNation":2jafk2ss said:
Fade":2jafk2ss said:

I keep posting evidence but you don't want to read it. Here:

Darrell Bevell was an early observer of just how composed Russell Wilson can be when everything is coming unglued around him.

Before the Seahawks considered selecting the quarterback in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Even before Wilson had won the starting job as a rookie. Long before he tied the NFL rookie record by throwing 26 touchdown passes while leading the Seahawks to an 11-5 record and the franchise’s first road playoff victory since 1983.

That’s because Bevell was a quarterback at the University of Wisconsin long before becoming the Seahawks’ offensive coordinator.

“That’s something I noticed when he was at Wisconsin,” Bevell said through a smile. “I watch all their games, obviously. So just sitting there watching, not having any clue (he would end up with the Seahawks), just a fan at the time, I couldn’t believe how poised he was.”

Schneider went to the Big Ten Championship game where he came back raving about Wilson. Bevell had already been watching Wilson all season long. Bevell and Schneider worked together back in Green Bay where Bevell was the QB coach. Bevell and Schneider had an excellent relationship.

You don't think Bevell had anything to do with Wilson coming to Seattle?? You are freaking crazy.....

As I have already pointed out, Schneider will get all the glory for the Wilson pick but things do not happen in a vacuum. You don't think Bevell has connections inside Wisconsin? Doesn't talk to coaches and players out there? That is his alma mater....

Schneider is also from the state of Wisconsin and has great connections in Madison. Did Schneider talk to Bevell? Sure, they talked to everyone. The Hawks scouting department as most NFL scouting departments do a great job leaving no stone unturned and getting their background and info on every prospect. JS was also scouting him at NC State was Bevell calling JS then. LOL.

you said, "Darrell Bevell brought Wilson to the Seahawks. Without [Bevell] we would still be looking for a QB."

LMAO.
130.gif

Latest posts