Darrell Bevell OTA Press Conference 6/2/15

chris98251

Reaction score
Pete dictates philosophy, Bevell calls the plays, Pete does hear the calls over his head set but is much more involved with the defense. Bevell made that call, Pete fell on his sword for him because he is that type of guy. Bevell deflected responsibility everywhere else but himself. He gets tunnel vision and repetitive, most OC's do, but that call and the repetitive bubble screens when the league, the middle east, aliens from outer space can see it coming is a little much.

You have the best back in the league, you have a mobile QB, you have the wrong personnel in but you call that play rather then spike the ball, roll out, hand off.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3qrx4f79 said:
Pete dictates philosophy, Bevell calls the plays, Pete does hear the calls over his head set but is much more involved with the defense. Bevell made that call, Pete fell on his sword for him because he is that type of guy. Bevell deflected responsibility everywhere else but himself. He gets tunnel vision and repetitive, most OC's do, but that call and the repetitive bubble screens when the league, the middle east, aliens from outer space can see it coming is a little much.

You have the best back in the league, you have a mobile QB, you have the wrong personnel in but you call that play rather then spike the ball, roll out, hand off.
You find for me proof that Bevell, on his own, made that decision and I will let it go. So are you saying Pete absolutely had no input on the last play?
Actually, and only a few have brought this up, but the misuse of time outs in the final 2 minutes had as much to do with that loss as anything

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":b1dkyxfy said:

BINGO!

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's ironic, but the Packers fan gets it.

We were starting what, 6 UDFA's on the offensive side of the ball by the end of the year ? And we're still scoring 26 ppg. We can debate whether or not that's in spite of Bevell, but the sad truth is you really have a low ceiling as to what you can do with that kind of talent.

Personally, I think our route trees suck; they don't optimize the WRs routes for Wilson's vision. I also think Cable works wonders with our OL and Lynch is a mad man. I also agree with the Harvin comment, as he didn't do crap here yet went to the freaking Jets (not an offensive power house by any means) and played much better. Now, possibly that was Harvin pulling his head out of his ass after he was shockingly traded but I was tired of seeing nothing but screens and Jet Sweeps with Harvin. Dude is faster than hell, release him down the field once in a while.

But at the end of the day, you can honestly only do so much with a bunch of UDFA's and low draft picks. Could Bevell be better ? Hell yes. Could he be worse ? Yup. Just give Greg Knapp a call again if anyone is a masochist.

The one thing that really bothers me about that last call.....why didn't Wilson audible out of it ? You have to look at that matchup between Kearse and Browner and just hate it.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
At the 2:52 mark Bevell saying he will call the next play after Wilson was asking him what play they were going for, that's why Wilson didn't know the play until he got out there. When he got the call he motion Lynch as a WR. Bevell made the call, Pete stood by it and took the blame.

[youtube]UwwGKX1-Evw[/youtube]

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Hey Sioux, you're wasting your time with these folks. Why don't you ask them to show you the post where they complained when we used this same play and it worked?

I've asked that question many times and as of yet I haven't seen any take up the challenge. But yet they still keep stealing threads to whine about it. Watcha gonna do? :les:

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
LymonHawk":1mtr8fa4 said:
Hey Sioux, you're wasting your time with these folks. Why don't you ask them to show you the post where they complained when we used this same play and it worked?

I've asked that question many times and as of yet I haven't seen any take up the challenge. But yet they still keep stealing threads to whine about it. Watcha gonna do? :les:
I just despise the ganging up on one individual from a fluid situation where many of the moving parts were thrown out of kilter. Too many what ifs, not just on that play, but through the whole course of the game, to heap it all on one individual who was doing his best to bring another championship to Seattle.

chris98251

Reaction score
LymonHawk":1k6ty0zk said:

Was it against the Patriots that had a DB that defensed that play in practice a 100 times and saw the keys to it?

Fade

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":20eh2460 said:
LymonHawk":20eh2460 said:

I just despise the ganging up on one individual from a fluid situation where many of the moving parts were thrown out of kilter. Too many what ifs, not just on that play, but through the whole course of the game, to heap it all on one individual who was doing his best to bring another championship to Seattle.

166.gif

Or maybe, just maybe, he just isn't that good.

If he was he would be a HC by now.

*edit* Its not just about 1 play, its about his play calling as a whole. Especially his redzone play calling.

If he struggles in the redzone this year with the addition of Jimmy Graham, he won't have an excuse.

Seattle was 29th in the redzone last year. 31st goal to go. That is HORRIBLE. That is why Seattle traded for Jimmy Graham in the first place.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":4kdl1y54 said:
LymonHawk":4kdl1y54 said:

Did or did not Browner tell the world after the game that he knew the play when he saw the formation, and that they had practiced that specific defense on his advice to Belichick? It was, wasn't it? If you are being a tricksy little playcaller, at least dial up something Browner has not seen.

Darrell Bevell is here for this year. There is nothing more to say. Unless we want to talk about his presser, which was pretty much standard filler.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Personally after listening to Head Coach Pete C., yesterday at the Town Hall event, I'm beginning to think that It's all part of an over all philosophy.

There is a link up if you care to see what I'm talking about.
http://www.seahawks.com/video/2015/06/0 ... all-replay

I do think it's kinda silly to question each other's fandom for either liking or not liking a particular coach or player.
Telling others how to be a fan has never gone over well, regardless of what side of an issue you are on.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2ge7h5ot said:
jammerhawk":2ge7h5ot said:
In the aftermath of the game after PC and RW each stepped up DB called out Lockette for not going hard enough to the ball thus deflecting the blame for the call. To me this was Bevell not manning up and deflecting blame when he should have indicated he took a chance and more risk when the numbers indicated the Patriots had trouble stopping the run in a situation like that and the team also had ML and Tukuafu.

You are free to slobber this OC's jock if you want but there now too many times when he fails to play the high % play. Well, to me at any rate

First of all, I don't slobber over anyone's jock. If that's your sexual proclivity in life, then you can talk to others who play on YOUR team that way.

Second of all, get it right. Pete called for a pass. Bevell called the play. So if you want to blame someone for not going with the run, blame the right person if blame is what you need to do.

Third of all, this is the team and coaching staff we have assembled. Do you really think your whining and complaining is productive as far as taking it the distance?

My language was poor in suggesting perhaps you are a fan of Bevell, I'm not as is obvious, Apparently however you are but it is possible for me to disagree w//o becoming sensitive so I apologize for my sexual reference it apparently struck a nerve, I wasn't meaning it the way you took it. He is the coach of a part of OUR team and is of course smarter at football than me, he's an NFL coach, I'm not. As this is a discussion board here and we can be fans of the team and disagree about parts of it. I still think the team could be better on O without Bevell, Pete doesn't so the OC is Bevell. I can live with it and am not whining and complaining, I just think the team would be better with another OC.

We have accepted Pete and Russell's apologies for 'that play' and have mostly moved on except for wondering what if the team hadn't lined up for a pass, Isn't that on the OC, or do you think Pete has that much specific influence over the O generally? The team had just taken a time out that was at least questionable so perhaps you are right. I don't know however that the right view is that Pete called a pass play as the OC had lined them up for a pass. We don't know the whole story about what happened there with the play call, perhaps at some future point this story will be fully told.

Have you heard any apology from Bevell? I know so far that I haven't and believe he's only just blamed the players for poor execution of his play with no acceptance of any responsibility on him? To date the real leaders of the team took the heat, Bevell not so much. Perhaps he's right that the blame was on poor execution, but it was a lower percentage play than running against a team that was statistically weak in defending goal line run plays. I will replay that play in my head for quite some time and shake my head believing it was a poor choice. I don't know that I've seen that play work for us except in mid-field but stand to be corrected. I would have rather gone down fighting for a yard on the ground with what the team does best. Putting the ball in Marshawn's hands in that circumstance is very arguable as a better choice than throwing a hot slant to Lockette.

The play is over, it failed, it's done, and the Hawks got to one yard away from taking the lead with 30 seconds or so to play in the their second consecutive Lombardi appearance but failed. Too bad the play didn't work but we need to move on. It's a special time to be a fan of the Seahawks I know I'm excited to be a fan of this team. I think the team could be good enough to get back again this year.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":fhqcunol said:
pmedic920":fhqcunol said:
Personally after listening to Head Coach Pete C., yesterday at the Town Hall event, I'm beginning to think that It's all part of an over all philosophy.

There is a link up if you care to see what I'm talking about.
http://www.seahawks.com/video/2015/06/0 ... all-replay

I do think it's kinda silly to question each other's fandom for either liking or not liking a particular coach or player.
Telling others how to be a fan has never gone over well, regardless of what side of an issue you are on.
This is true to a certain extent, but when you add juvenile artwork and slogans into the mix that denegrates a member of the Seahawks, YOU ARE putting the entire Seahawks organization in a bad light and I don't see how a true fan would do that. Might as well be a part of the fanbase of an NFC West rival.
Hypothetical: We take it all the way and win SB 50, yet you've been chirping the whole time about the OC. Do you derive as much pleasure as a fan securing the Lombardi, or is there a part of you secretly hoping for failure so that the points you made in public can be confirmed?

LymonHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":ubl6t6wf said:
LymonHawk":ubl6t6wf said:

Was it against the Patriots that had a DB that defensed that play in practice a 100 times and saw the keys to it?

So are you saying we should have changed our playbook because a former player was on the opposing team? Please.

Once again, I ask you to show me where you or anyone else complained, damned, or ridiculed that play when it was successful. And once again, nobody has come forward. Why is that?