Dawgs and Ducks to join the Big 10

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I don't think it's going to be too much more travel.

The distance from UW to UA, ASU, Colorado, is between 1300 and 1700 miles. The distance from UW to Minnesota, Neb, Iowa, and Wisconsin is between 1500 and 1900 miles. Although obviously there will be a couple games where they have to travel further to play any of the more eastern Big schools.

I know your comment was about traveling east, and not so much about overall travel. Just sayin' though.

CPHawk

Reaction score
The only ones to blame is all the presidents who turned down the fox offer back before starting the dumb P12N. And the same presidents that voted against adding OU and Texas. Turn those two miserable votes around, and the p12 could be being added too right now, instead of being dismantled

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Hate this.

Can you elaborate? Do you just hate the fact that the pac 12 is imploding due to all the mismanagement which has more or less forced teams to move away?

Or do you think it's a bad move for these schools? Because sticking around is not a very attractive option for UW and Oregon. The media deal alone would be shitty for both the schools and the fans.

In a perfect world, I would agree that keeping the pac 12 and all the teams would be most ideal, IF it were managed properly, had better tv deals, better scheduling, etc.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Larry Scott screwed the PAC over years of corporate greed

bileever

Reaction score
Can you elaborate? Do you just hate the fact that the pac 12 is imploding due to all the mismanagement which has more or less forced teams to move away?

Or do you think it's a bad move for these schools? Because sticking around is not a very attractive option for UW and Oregon. The media deal alone would be shitty for both the schools and the fans.

In a perfect world, I would agree that keeping the pac 12 and all the teams would be most ideal, IF it were managed properly, had better tv deals, better scheduling, etc.
I hate that money is the driving force here. It's not a bad move for Washington given the fact that USC and UCLA are already leaving, but the other schools left behind will suffer.

I do think that travel is an issue. It's an additional burden on these kids.

Also, if you have ever had a child play college sports, you like to go to as many games as possible, and that will be pretty tough for any parent now that isn't well-to-do. It's one thing to drive to Beaverton, it's another to have to fly to Columbus, Ohio. I'm not talking just about football, but other sports as well.

Regional rivalries are cool, and they go way back. This re-alignment will put a damper on historical rivalries like Cal vs. Stanford, Huskies vs. Cougars, etc. Yes, they can still play, but will it mean as much if they aren't playing in the same league?

I think I hate just about everything having to do with this. TV and greed are ruling college sports.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I'm sure Washington will still play wsu and OSU quite often if not every year. I get what you're saying, though. I hate that money is driving everything, too.

If these schools stay in the Pac, then their exposure is going to be significantly affected, and they will be seen as playing in a weak conference which is a double whammy if you're trying to compete for recruits and Garner national favor in the polls.

Last edited:

sc85sis

Reaction score
The P12 is imploding, sadly. Bad decisions by the presidents combined with terrible commissioners has killed it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The P12 is imploding, sadly. Bad decisions by the presidents combined with terrible commissioners has killed it.
I'm not sure that if Oklahoma and Texas had been admitted to the Pac 12 10-15 years ago that it would have been enough to have saved the conference. Would they have stayed had USC and UCLA left?

jeremiah

Reaction score
Teams should just brand themselves as semi-professional teams associated with a College and quit pretending. Football from post HS to the NFL is now corporate, and it is not better served. It will be worse. How to sell West coast talent to play for you, if half of the games are a long plane flight away and back home for parents? If they wanted to play on the East coast, they already are good enough to go to Bama, ND or Michigan. The left behind West Coast teams will become stronger teams because locals will stay close in some measure. A kid that would have went to Oregon or WA will go elsewhere...like Boise, or Utah.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I'm not sure that if Oklahoma and Texas had been admitted to the Pac 12 10-15 years ago that it would have been enough to have saved the conference. Would they have stayed had USC and UCLA left?
That was only part of the issue. Scott’s screw-up with insisting on an in-house network, fancy digs in San Francisco, etc. all played into it.

chris98251

Reaction score
All the talk of academic standards killed the chances of building a power conference years ago, now none of that will matter and the schools that have left will be competing against school that recruit athletes first grades second. So education takes a backseat to a tv deal.

RiverDog

Reaction score
That was only part of the issue. Scott’s screw-up with insisting on an in-house network, fancy digs in San Francisco, etc. all played into it.
Understood. However, I still think that the long pole in the tent was USC/UCLA. Once they were gone, it was game over no matter what kind of media deal Scott had negotiated or who else were members, including TX and OK.

NoGain

Reaction score
College football rivals the greed of the NFL now, but without a governing body (owners + Goodell) to make some kind of equitable and constructive sense of it.

NoGain

Reaction score
Understood. However, I still think that the long pole in the tent was USC/UCLA. Once they were gone, it was game over no matter what kind of media deal Scott had negotiated or who else were members, including TX and OK.
Yeah, but if the PAC 12 was still a financially and otherwise attractive place to stay put, USC and UCLA might not have left. It's really all a guessing game/conjecture/speculation at this point.