Day Two of Training Camp Impressions

burgers_59

Reaction score
Inactives today were; Turbin, Miller, Simon, Harvin, Clem, Farwell, Scruggs and Robinson.

To start off, todays practice was VERY light, more seven on seven drills and individual stuff than scrimmaging. But there were some new things going on, as well as players who improved from yesterday.

QB's:
Russell had a pretty solid day, he did a lot more individual drills with Quinn and T Jack than yesterday. Some climbing the pocket drills as well as rollout drills. Something that is noticeable about his game is his footwork looks better. Especially when moving around in the pocket, which was noticeable both individual drills, 7 on 7 and scrimmage.

TJack definitely looked better than Quinn today. Which I figured would be tough to do since most of practice they were just throwing balls to camp assistants. The backup role is T Jacks to lose. Until Quinn actually does something.

Quinn looked pretty bad. He had a few balls he sailed out of bounds while working in the individual drills. I believe in the conspiracy that Brady Quinn secretly wants to be a professional rock skipper. Since he had more than a few passes that were so badly thrown in team drills that they'd just skip across the turf, far behind any defender or receiver.

RB's:
Lynch had a very laid back day. But when he was out there, he was running the ball well along with catching. I expect the limited practice carries to continue. Got to keep this guy fresh.

Christine Michael had another good day. Showing his burst on a few long runs, and run after catch plays from dump off passes. He got a lot of time with the ones while scrimmaging.

Ware and Coleman got to play fullback with the ones today. There wasn't a huge difference between the two today. Both knew where they were headed and did it fast. I really like the effort I see from Coleman, even though it's early camp and not full padded, the guy is a practice hero. We'll see if it carries over into full contact practice and preseason.

WR's:
Note, the ones didn't get whole lot of time.
Rice was limited today. Initially it was said that he would be inactive for practice. But he ended up running some drills and took a few snaps in seven on seven. Too limited to get an impression, but I think they're just keeping him fresh.

Baldwin had a nice day today, not only in seven on seven but in scrimmage as well. Smooth through his routes and snagging any ball in. He seems ready to have a breakout season with Tate.

Tate had another nice day with some downfield grabs. He flourishes in catches in traffic, as well as making moves in the open field. He'll be the leader in YAC yards on this team, even over Percy if he stays healthy. Expect big things from Tate.

Bates ran a lot of special teams drills today, hard to think he won't be the next chop chop with all the times he's taking from him in the situations Chop was in last year. While scrimmaging he ran his routes strong and displayed soft hands. I really see him being that Obo type receiver for us this next season. All special teams and some snaps with the first team O.

Kearse had some nice snags today as did Walters. Williams had some really nice effort catches, he had one called incomplete that was a deep ball on the sideline. This guy is exciting to watch, definitely a camp sleeper to watch. As for the rest of the group being; Clark, Harper, Heard, Swain and Veltung. Quiet days, as a matter of fact I don't think Swain was out there today. Harper got more work than the others, you can tell this guy is raw by the way he runs his routes, but there is definitely an upside there. Depending on how he improves, he could be a special teams first, offense second kind of guy.

TE's:
Not as a big of a day for these guys.

The big two today were Willson and McGrath (who was a little limited). McGrath has the upper hand on Willson due to his ability to stay in and block in any situation. he also displays really good hands. Willson saw some time with the ones again today playing in the slot a little bit, like I said yesterday he looks like a big wideout. He's a catch first tight end, which could be a nice compliment to McGrath and Miller.

Helfet got some looks at wide receiver again today and made a few short route catches. Fells didn't get a whole lot of looks neither did Victor Marshall. For the first time Michael Palmer ran with second team in scrimmage, no catches for him but a fresh face out there.

Oline:
The ones were; Okung, McQuistan, Unger, Moffitt and Breno. After watching Sweezy in the starting right guard spot yesterday, I didn't really expect Moffitt to switch with him. But Moffitt definitely has the better footwork in pass protection of the two. I still see this spot as Sweezys to lose.

Second Group was; Person, Carpenter/Seymour, Jean Pierre, Sweezy and Bailey. Sweezy was the strongest in this group. After watching Jesse Williams making mince meat of blockers yesterday, Sweezy took him head on and beat him a majority of the snaps. Of course, as soon as they moved Williams to Carp and Seymour, he stood them right up just like yesterday.

Bowie, Bscherer, Smith and Johnson got close to no playing time today. Smith was the first guy out to practice again today, his snapping has improved. But he still has a lot of work to do.

Dline:
First group; Avril, Mebane, Mcdaniel/Hill,Red/Bennett. Hill definitely impressed in this group, McDaniel hasn't really shown me much in the past two days. He's looked very confused and it's affecting his play. Whereas Hill just gets penetration, he takes on run blocks well and has fast hands that help him get a pass rush.

Second Team; Howard/Powell, Mcdonald, Williams, Boatwright/Brooks. It was interesting seeing Howard at DE, but it seems a little more natural to him, he bends well for a guy his size and when he's going against an Olineman at an angle he looks better than he does than when he's one on one. McDonald almost destroyed some quality control coach who was acting as a qb in individual drills. He got a full running start at him and didn't turn away in time, ran the bottom of his facemask into the dudes forehead. Luckily he was alright, they shared a uncomfortable laugh then went about the next drill. Williams looked good again today, getting good penetration against everyone but Sweezy, who stood him up on about 50% of the snaps they had against eachother.

Mayowa and Brooks didn't get much time. But in their time Brooks looked solid, he is fair at getting his hands on the Olineman before they get theirs on him.

Quick side note, Bennett, Avril, Boatright and Powell were running coverage drills.

LB's:
Starting Group; KJ, Bobby, Smith. Bruce didn't really rotate in with these guys, Smith had a really good day. While he may not be as fast as Bruce he has a better undertsnading of the position. KJ and Bobby looked really fast today, looking great in coverage. KJ blanketed McGrath for most of his time out. While Bobby played his zone well, and chased down runners.

Second Group; Irvin/Morgan, Bradford/Lotuleilei, Wilkins/Knox
The two big guys in this group were Bruce and Lotuleilei. While in individual drills both have very similar lower body burst and foot speed. Bruce looks good off of the edge as well as chasing down runs. Lotuleilei looks like he will make a push to be a sceond string linebacker who can play all three positions. As well as special teams. Morgan, Wilkins and Knox all had simliar days. Limited reps and a lot of zone coverage, didn't see enough playing time from these guys to get a real impression. Looks like Knox's nuts dropped back down from yesterday though, happy for that guy.

Secondary:
First Team; Sherm, Earl, Kam, BB with Winfield as the nickel. They didn't have a whole lot of reps as a group, but looked very good in their time. Winfield is a definite improvement in that nickel spot, very excited to see him this season.

Second group; Thurmond/Shead, Maragos, Johnson/Guy, Maxwell/Lane. Thurmond didn't get thrown on much today, he looks healthy and ready to play with the ones in different situations. Shead was very physical on the line and impressed. Maragos, Johnson and Guy all moved around, sometimes being in the nickel sometimes switching safety positions, and some as the single high safety. All looked good out there, Jeron plays very well in the Nickel, whereas Maragos and Guy look to be very good playing from the single high position.

Special Teams were an entertaining group to watch today.

The battle of the snappers continues! Something that I noticed that I didn't yesterday was the difference between how Nelson's snaps look compared to Greshams. Gresh snaps are a little softer and higher, coming in right on Jon Ryans shoulder. Nelsons are much faster and lower, his get right to Ryan and usually are aimed right where his left hand is (snaps for field goals and punts). Now I don't know what preference Jon Ryan has, but those are the differences between the two. Nelsons snaps look cleaner, but it seems that Ryan in used to fielding Gresham's snaps.

Jon Ryan is going to be this teams punter, Wiggs can't punt too well but he can kick.

I think the kicking competition is legitimate. Hauschka does not seem to like Wiggs at all. When Wiggs was on a knee behind Ryan watching how he holds the ball for field goals. Hauschka walked right in front of him and backed up toward him forcing Wiggs to get out of the way. Then he turned around and looked Wiggs up and down, I was very thrown off by this it was almost comical. But when it came to kicking these two were neck and neck. Both having hot and cold streaks. Hauschka's sweet spot today was from the mid 40's, he did hit a few 50's and 53's. Going about 60% from 50 and beyond. Wiggs started with a 60 yard kick and a 61 yarder, which Haushka did not even attempt. Wiggs hit kicks from the mid and low 50's at about 60%, and didn't have the sweet spot Hauschka did in the mid forties but still looked good.

Wiggs is power with less touch, and Hauschka is touch over power. I feel like you can develop accuracy easier than power. This should be an interesting battle between the two guys, i'm pulling for Wiggs. but I could easily see Hauschka keeping his job.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Interesting, we seem to have a battle royale between kickers. Anybody else working punts? We could get some Rich Eisen coverage if we had a punter square-off. :)

Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
burgers_59

burgers_59

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1k3llsvg said:
Throwdown":1k3llsvg said:
Godddddd I can't wait to see Bruce at LB.

You and me both. Nursing a semi just thinking about it.

Burger, THANK YOU for these, I'm serious. I'd almost like to pay you for doing this.

Almost.

Haha, no problem. Almost is good enough for me!

Floridahawk79

Reaction score
Thanks again. One thing that stood out from the online stream was in the Oline drills Cable seemed pissed at Carp in one drill. Just stood there and shook his head in disgust. Of course that maybe the way Cable always is. It just stood out to me.

OP
OP
burgers_59

burgers_59

Reaction score
Floridahawk79":25g6k2l4 said:
Thanks again. One thing that stood out from the online stream was in the Oline drills Cable seemed pissed at Carp in one drill. Just stood there and shook his head in disgust. Of course that maybe the way Cable always is. It just stood out to me.

Yeah, it just looked like Carp wasn't ready for camp. He's out of shape and seems to be taking steps back, I can see why Cable would shake his head at a guy like that. He's not playing like a first round guy. We'll see if he improves through camp, I wish the best for the guy. But he has a lot of work to do.

bigcc

Reaction score
I can't help but wonder if its worth having two kickers if one is solid from 30-40 and the other 50-60.... I mean if we had wiggs instead of longwell we might've been able to attempt that 64 yard field goal vs. the falcons instead of tossing up a hail mary

kearly

Reaction score
Great writeup. Thanks for doing these. Now I'm going to hijack for a sec.

John Schneider was geeked to get Stephen Williams. I am not surprised that he's made an early impression. If I had to describe Pete's offensive philosophy in one word, I'd use "mismatch." He is all about making plays easy by putting defenders in tough positions. Before Williams, we had the other Williams: BMW. Then we had Ricardo Lockette, then Braylon Edwards. What all four of these players have in common is the mismatch factor, specifically with size. You could perhaps argue that Chris Harper and Phil Bates are in this category too, though I see them as more of being in the Boldin category (tough possession WR who bullies DBs). Oh yeah, Terrell Owens. Him too.

Another thing they all have in common... they are all long shots! BMW and TO were such longshots that just getting a tryout made headlines. Braylon Edwards was a journeyman long shot with one tantalizing season on his resume. Ricardo Lockette was a UDFA in sore need of development. Stephen Williams was basically the Cardinals version of Lockette before coming here (or the Rams version of Danario Alexander, if you are an optimist). Bates was a UDFA, and Harper was a 4th round pick. Not many 4th round WRs pan out.

Prior to this shotgun approach, Seattle worked hard trying to deal for mismatch king Brandon Marshall, and pursued mismatch-maker V-Jack as well.

Seattle had a similar shotgun approach to the LB and DB groups, which obviously has had fantastic success. Their attempts at doing so for the big mismatch WR though have been a lot less productive, and it's why I'm starting to think that Rutgers WR Brandon Coleman might be very, very, very high on Seattle's 2014 draft radar right now. To me, Coleman has no-doubter top 10 talent, and on day one would be one of the most extreme mismatch WRs in the NFL, but he's also got the kind of problems that could see him tumble into the 20s- into Seattle's range. Every time I watch Coleman he screams out to me as the exact player that Pete Carroll has been furiously rummaging through garbage cans hoping to find.

Anyway, just a random thought. Hopefully Stephen Williams breaks out Danario Alexander style and we're spending that first pick on ASJ instead. That would be nice.

bigcc

Reaction score
I would be ecstatic if ASJ somehow slipped to the 32nd pick

McGruff

Reaction score
kearly":1bcg4lcn said:
Great writeup. Thanks for doing these. Now I'm going to hijack for a sec.

John Schneider was geeked to get Stephen Williams. I am not surprised that he's made an early impression. If I had to describe Pete's offensive philosophy in one word, I'd use "mismatch." He is all about making plays easy by putting defenders in tough positions. Before Williams, we had the other Williams: BMW. Then we had Ricardo Lockette, then Braylon Edwards. What all four of these players have in common is the mismatch factor, specifically with size. You could perhaps argue that Chris Harper and Phil Bates are in this category too, though I see them as more of being in the Boldin category (tough possession WR who bullies DBs). Oh yeah, Terrell Owens. Him too.

Another thing they all have in common... they are all long shots! BMW and TO were such longshots that just getting a tryout made headlines. Braylon Edwards was a journeyman long shot with one tantalizing season on his resume. Ricardo Lockette was a UDFA in sore need of development. Stephen Williams was basically the Cardinals version of Lockette before coming here (or the Rams version of Danario Alexander, if you are an optimist). Bates was a UDFA, and Harper was a 4th round pick. Not many 4th round WRs pan out.

Prior to this shotgun approach, Seattle worked hard trying to deal for mismatch king Brandon Marshall, and pursued mismatch-maker V-Jack as well.

Seattle had a similar shotgun approach to the LB and DB groups, which obviously has had fantastic success. Their attempts at doing so for the big mismatch WR though have been a lot less productive, and it's why I'm starting to think that Rutgers WR Brandon Coleman might be very, very, very high on Seattle's 2014 draft radar right now. To me, Coleman has no-doubter top 10 talent, and on day one would be one of the most extreme mismatch WRs in the NFL, but he's also got the kind of problems that could see him tumble into the 20s- into Seattle's range. Every time I watch Coleman he screams out to me as the exact player that Pete Carroll has been furiously rummaging through garbage cans hoping to find.

Anyway, just a random thought. Hopefully Stephen Williams breaks out Danario Alexander style and we're spending that first pick on ASJ instead. That would be nice.

Kelvin Benjamin as well . . .

Latest posts