Defense keeps giving up late 4th Q drives

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
cesame":1vlk8d6m said:
I'll say it again

Every Cincinnati drive in the 2nd half was under 2 minutes until they went on a 11 play drive and ended it with a TD to make it 24-21. Up to that point Seattle's defense was on and off the field quick the entire second half. They had plenty of rest.

Um, the one in the 4th quarter went over 12 minutes .

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I agree, the D was gassed and it started with Rawls Long run, which put the D right back in. Next series I believe the D made the defensive TD and once again, back on the field.

After that came the series of 3 and outs.

Of course the D was gassed. Though the Cinn, TE Play was inexcusable.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
The defense held the Bengals explosive offense to 7 points well into the 4th quarter.

When the offense fails to put a drive to together for almost an entire half, it gets hard.

And for the people "listing" all of the losses due to the defense, should we make a comparable list of all of the games that we won where the defense was fantastic and the offense couldnt find their way out of a paper bag?

Over the last 3 years our defense has given up a few leads, sure. But they can only carry pathetic offensive performances so many times.

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
2Cool4School":mn6talbh said:
its not just the defense. Offense has to be able to waste time off of the clock late in games too. That was a big issue today. you cant just not do anything on offense in situations like that

It's definitely a complete team loss.

That's always the case after and W or L imo. Team game.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2tuybzhb said:
cesame":2tuybzhb said:
I'll say it again

Every Cincinnati drive in the 2nd half was under 2 minutes until they went on a 11 play drive and ended it with a TD to make it 24-21. Up to that point Seattle's defense was on and off the field quick the entire second half. They had plenty of rest.

Nevermind it was time of possession but I can't find it again so I rescind

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":5fhcld97 said:
cesame":5fhcld97 said:
I'll say it again

Huh?

I don't know what you're talking about. The Bengals didn't had a 12 minute drive so.....

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3e1siw4i said:
The defense held the Bengals explosive offense to 7 points well into the 4th quarter.

When the offense fails to put a drive to together for almost an entire half, it gets hard.

And for the people "listing" all of the losses due to the defense, should we make a comparable list of all of the games that we won where the defense was fantastic and the offense couldnt find their way out of a paper bag?

Over the last 3 years our defense has given up a few leads, sure. But they can only carry pathetic offensive performances so many times.

The defense still wasn't on the field for all that long in the 2nd half. Every drive was under 2 minutes for Cincinnati until the 11 play drive which ended in a TD and made the game 24-21.

Did the offense need to do more? Yes, obviously.

But was the defense gassed? Shouldn't have been. They weren't on the field all that long. Cincinnati's offense was pretty bad through the 3rd and part of the 4th Q. They weren't sustaining drives at all and their defense was on the field a lot.

Their defense overcame it, made adjustments and started getting stops. They turned it on in the 4th Q and the Seahawks didn't.

evergreen

Reaction score
cesame":y67pkjbs said:
NewJerseyHawk":y67pkjbs said:
How about getting more than one first down per drive.....defense did more than enough but when is the offense going to step forward??

17pt 4th quarter lead speak for itself.

Kam Chancellor and Cary Williams being awful is another problem. Cary Williams with a "clutch" pass interference on the Bengals' last 4th Q drive which gave them free yards.
More important it stopped the clock...

evergreen

Reaction score
Actually it was a typical Seahawks loss. A game we had but couldn't hang on to. No different than any loss in the last three years. It sucks super hard that the last few had us ahead in the 4th.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
cesame":3vp9cyu2 said:
seahawkfreak":3vp9cyu2 said:
cesame":3vp9cyu2 said:
I'll say it again

Huh?

I don't know what you're talking about. The Bengals didn't had a 12 minute drive so.....

I took it back. So what's your point dude? Our defense sucks? Is that what your looking for? How many first downs did we get in the second half?

nanomoz

Reaction score
Ya. Sucks.

But 6 or 7 punts in the second half doesn't help. The offense mailed it in against a great team. At least the defense had some moments and urgency here and there.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
cesame":x6hegqg2 said:
Hawkpower":x6hegqg2 said:

The defense still wasn't on the field for all that long in the 2nd half. Every drive was under 2 minutes for Cincinnati until the 11 play drive which ended in a TD and made the game 24-21.

Did the offense need to do more? Yes, obviously.

But was the defense gassed? Shouldn't have been. They weren't on the field all that long. Cincinnati's offense was pretty bad through the 3rd and part of the 4th Q. They weren't sustaining drives at all and their defense was on the field a lot.

Their defense overcame it, made adjustments and started getting stops. They turned it on in the 4th Q and the Seahawks didn't.

I didnt say they were gassed.

I said that any defense can only hold an explosive offense like Cinci's so long. Holding them to 7 over 3 quarters and then pretending this loss is the defenses fault is stupid.

The offense could have helped the defense by putting ONE drive together after the 11 minute mark of the 3rd Quarter. They couldnt.

By the way, as long as we are bashing the defense, lets not forget they provided 7 of those 24 points.

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
Again, every loss is a team loss. Putting ALL of the blame on one side or the other is not smart.

That said, the defense absolutely blew a 24-7 lead. Cincinnati made adjustments on offense and they worked, period.

As I said in the OP, this is the 5th time in the last 7 games this has happened. Teams are executing at their best against this defense in their final drives in the 4th. That can't continue if this team wants to win another SB.

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
Just look at the Rams game

7pt late lead in the 4th and......Nick Foles leads the Rams to a game tying score and wins the game in OT. The defense absolutely cannot let NICK FOLES beat them.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
cesame":sxxo0ue5 said:

7pt late lead in the 4th and......Nick Foles leads the Rams to a game tying score and wins the game in OT. The defense absolutely cannot let NICK FOLES beat them.

I guess I believe the offense did not pull its share of the game. Yes if we do not give up any more points with a 24-7 lead we win. Cincinnati is the #1 offense in the league and we punted 6 times in our last six possessions. That is a lot to ask from our D. I think our D did more for us to win than our O.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
cesame":5z7mfojn said:

Do you believe that poor execution on one side of the ball can effect performance on the other side of the ball?

Or do you only want to believe this is a "team game" if it benefits your argument?

Any Seahawk fan who has watched more than the "last 7 games" knows that the defense, while far from perfect, has been the NFL's best for 3 straight years, and is THE MAIN REASON why this team won the Super Bowl.

5 out of 7 (how do you get this number?) all you want, this team has been bailed out by its defense far more than vice versa.

mrt144

Reaction score
The argument that the defense just needs to 'get it done' ignores that the offense can make that job a lot easier if they take a lion's share of possession and make the variance of success vs. failure higher with less opportunities for the opponent.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the frustration at the giving up of leads. I am too.

I just get irritated when fans, usually those trying to make excuses for our pitiful offense, try and blame the other side of the ball for our losses, completely ignoring how badly we would be blown out of nearly every game without them.

Our offense is terrible. The defensive woes can be addressed with a straight face when the offense has been #1 for 3 straight years, bailing out a mediocre D.

Until then, just no.

Mike 4G

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3eq062wd said:
cesame":3eq062wd said:

I guess I believe the offense did not pull its share of the game. Yes if we do not give up any more points with a 24-7 lead we win. Cincinnati is the #1 offense in the league and we punted 6 times in our last six possessions. That is a lot to ask from our D. I think our D did more for us to win than our O.
Agreed. This was on the O. How many times we didn't convert on third and short to put the game away was maddening. Just like in the Super Bowl, our O put our D in a bad situation time and time again. We kept punting and giving up field position.