Defense keeps giving up late 4th Q drives

ShermanIsland

Reaction score
This game was on the offense to me. We put up 17, not counting the touchdown on D. We didn't have any sustained drives in the second half and they got gassed.

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
ShermanIsland":3gc0zib8 said:
This game was on the offense to me. We put up 17, not counting the touchdown on D. We didn't have any sustained drives in the second half and they got gassed.

My argument with that is Cincinnati hadn't sustained one long drive in the second half until the mid 4th Q. Up until that point Seattle's defense was on and off the field fairly quickly. Every drive for Cincinnati was under 2 minutes until the 4th, so I don't really buy that Seattle's D was gassed. That's an excuse IMO.

Cincinnati turned it up and the team as a whole let off the gas. It wasn't just the offense.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
And it's comical that we allowed the Red Rifle to ramble 7 yards up the gut for a score when time was winding down. We needed a stop there.

bandiger

Reaction score
Mike 4G":1duhnndl said:
Our D held a high powered O to 7 points going into the 4th and scored a TD. But we finish punting 6 times. I am sorry. I just can't be mad at the D at all.

More like if they could reach midfield at least, defense would have held up. I put blame on the offense for giving the Bengals great field position. Ridiculous to just generalize the problem of defense giving up leads. I blame Bevell for being a predictable ass, just avoid the 3nouts and everything would have been kosher. Still they gave up TDs instead of FGs.

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
bandiger":35gugviv said:
Mike 4G":35gugviv said:
Our D held a high powered O to 7 points going into the 4th and scored a TD. But we finish punting 6 times. I am sorry. I just can't be mad at the D at all.

More like if they could reach midfield at least, defense would have held up. I put blame on the offense for giving the Bengals great field position. Ridiculous to just generalize the problem of defense giving up leads. I blame Bevell for being a predictable ass, just avoid the 3nouts and everything would have been kosher. Still they gave up TDs instead of FGs.

The score was 24-14 in the 4th Q and Cincinnati started with the ball on their own 29. That is not great field position for Cincinnati.

They then went on a 11 play drive that ended with the secondary letting the TE run free for a TD

Everyone seems to say "well if the offense would have just made 1 drive, first down, etc". Well the same can be said about the defense. They just need to get one more stop in the 4th Q to finish the game off. They didn't get it. Instead they allowed 17pts.

The defense didn't finish the game just as much as the offense didn't finish the game.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
cesame":1s9p2qef said:
bandiger":1s9p2qef said:
Mike 4G":1s9p2qef said:

The score was 24-14 in the 4th Q and Cincinnati started with the ball on their own 29. That is not great field position for Cincinnati.

They then went on a 11 play drive that ended with the secondary letting the TE run free for a TD

Everyone seems to say "well if the offense would have just made 1 drive, first down, etc". Well the same can be said about the defense. They just need to get one more stop in the 4th Q to finish the game off. They didn't get it. Instead they allowed 17pts.

The defense didn't finish the game just as much as the offense didn't finish the game.

Defense had 3 tries to just get one stop...and failed 3 times

BullHawk33

Reaction score
This is all a circular argument with everybody being right. Had defense made one more stop out of the last 3 drives, yep, we would have won. Had offense completed 1 more 1st down in any of the last 4 drives, they would have burned 2 more minutes off the clock and we would have won. Both sides needed just 1 more.

The defense isn't playing as it should. We all know it can be epic when it is sync'd up. They will get back there. The offense has relied on our defense being epic for a long time.

The offense needed to step up Sunday though to bail out the D and it didn't happen.

Seahawk79

Reaction score
Hawkpower":hnzrm17r said:
The defense held the Bengals explosive offense to 7 points well into the 4th quarter.

When the offense fails to put a drive to together for almost an entire half, it gets hard.

And for the people "listing" all of the losses due to the defense, should we make a comparable list of all of the games that we won where the defense was fantastic and the offense couldnt find their way out of a paper bag?

Over the last 3 years our defense has given up a few leads, sure. But they can only carry pathetic offensive performances so many times.

Spot on, tough to blame a D for the lack of scoring. 17 points against a team that averages 30 won't cut it, not to mention 7 came on a long run. 9 empty trips, 6 straight including 2 in OT. Tough to hold up much longer, most teams would fold all things considered. The D even threw in a score for crying out loud, they had as many TD's as the QB. Russ is good, but his lack of putting points on the board hurt us. Hopefully he starts to let it rip, when he does that this team is almsot unbeatable.

justafan

Reaction score
HawkFan72":223b4ip2 said:
justafan":223b4ip2 said:
HawkFan72":223b4ip2 said:
Defense forgot how to close games. They used to shine in the 4th quarter. Now I just dread the 4th Quarter.

Kris Richard = Gus Bradley.
Quinn's D did it also.

A couple times. Yeah. No Defense is perfect. But the Seahawks D used to clamp down and destroy teams in the 4th Quarter. They would hold teams to 0 or 3 points in the second half on a regular basis under Quinn.

This is a trend that we got used to seeing under Gus Bradley. Quinn fixed the problem, but it's back now. I can handle if if they do it once or twice, but now it has become a regular thing. And that's a problem.

Broncos 17 in the 4h
cowboys 10 in the 4th
colts 11 points in the 4th
SB pats 14 in the 4th
cards 14 pnts in just over final 17 mins.

Quinns D did it too often.We have had historically good D the last few years but they have given up leads at the end at times.All teams do.
Its not just Bradley or Richard.

seahawks08

Reaction score
The offense is operating at 60%, we need to operate at 80%, that would not keep the defense out so long. Our offense needs to keep practicing and running routes and planning for every situation possible. If we are a run heavy team, I would think the passing game should open up. Our Deep routes are not working for lack of time, our short throws are not happening because of trust issues, our underneath routes are going away because of heavily disguised defenses that show us a blitz but drop backs in coverage. That 2 to 3 seconds is messing RW up, with throwing the ball on time. I will tell this again, drop back 7 steps or more and he should be fine to make those throws. Mix it up with shot gun and all other versions, but dropping back 7 steps will either make Graham one on one, or another receiver who would get open.

chiltech500

Reaction score
Because of expectations.

When an idiot does something genius you are impressed and intrigued.
When a genius does something idiotic you question why you thought they were a genius in the first place.[/quote]

I love this!

Was it my imagination but the Atlanta playoff loss and a couple other times when we had a lead in the 4th didn't the D go soft zone and play cautiously? That was under Quinn too.

The offense really is insufferable, see management about that. The articles have been coming about our offensive line losses and graham's no blocking. Duh. If someone as dumb as me saw that coming shame on them.

How do you have a run game without blocking; does Russell have time for a seven step drop; does the offensive line create a "wall" Wilson can't see over vs spreading the D like a bloomin'onion?

chiltech500

Reaction score
"
Seahawk79":3fcnbk58 said:
Hawkpower":3fcnbk58 said:
The defense held the Bengals explosive offense to 7 points well into the 4th quarter.
Russ is good, but his lack of putting points on the board hurt us. Hopefully he starts to let it rip, when he does that this team is almsot unbeatable.
"

see prior about offensive line.

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
Bump

Defense definitely isn't the same this year. I've never seen so many missed assignments from the secondary. It's also clear Cary Williams is no Byron Maxwell.

I will add that the offense is certainly a drag on the defense (and entire team), but the defense is still making too many mistakes.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
They were very undisciplined in defensive secondary today. Costly penalties which kept the Cards drive alive after the Seahawks took a 29-25 lead. That's not Seahawk football. The main culprit was Richard Sherman to boot.