Defense keeps giving up late 4th Q drives

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
Hawkpower":kr92ixi5 said:
I don't have a problem with the frustration at the giving up of leads. I am too.

I just get irritated when fans, usually those trying to make excuses for our pitiful offense, try and blame the other side of the ball for our losses, completely ignoring how badly we would be blown out of nearly every game without them.

Our offense is terrible. The defensive woes can be addressed with a straight face when the offense has been #1 for 3 straight years, bailing out a mediocre D.

Until then, just no.

The score was 24-7

Yes, the defense can absolutely be called out after blowing that lead. They were great for 3 Q's, but they didn't finish in the 4th.

You're saying people are making excuses for the offense by blaming the defense. That works both ways. After blowing a 24-7 lead I can easily say you're making excuses for the defense by blaming the offense. Going 3 and out on offense doesn't put up pts on the board for the other team.

Mike 4G

Reaction score
cesame":cr61af7n said:
Hawkpower":cr61af7n said:
I don't have a problem with the frustration at the giving up of leads. I am too.

I just get irritated when fans, usually those trying to make excuses for our pitiful offense, try and blame the other side of the ball for our losses, completely ignoring how badly we would be blown out of nearly every game without them.

Our offense is terrible. The defensive woes can be addressed with a straight face when the offense has been #1 for 3 straight years, bailing out a mediocre D.

Until then, just no.

The score was 24-7

Yes, the defense can absolutely be called out after blowing that lead. They were great for 3 Q's, but they didn't finish in the 4th.

You're saying people are making excuses for the offense by blaming the defense. That works both ways. After blowing a 24-7 lead I can easily say you're making excuses for the defense by blaming the offense. Going 3 and out on offense doesn't put up pts on the board for the other team.
It does constantly give up field position to one of the highest rated offenses in the league. How many times does that need to happen before they get a break. If we extend a drive or two we win.

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
Mike 4G":326c2h30 said:
cesame":326c2h30 said:
Hawkpower":326c2h30 said:

Until then, just no.

The score was 24-7

It does constantly give up field position to one of the highest rated offenses in the league. How many times does that need to happen before they get a break. If we extend a drive or two we win.

And I get that. Already said this loss is on everyone.

It's just not all on the offense. The defense did their fair share to lose this game as well (Bennett personal foul on Dalton neglecting field position after Earl's INT, Cary Williams PI and other garbage plays, Kam Chancellor looking lost and letting guys run free).

The defense did their fair share to lose this game as well.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
cesame":1r3xxjmo said:
Hawkpower":1r3xxjmo said:

Until then, just no.

The score was 24-7

So you are saying your ok with our offense not sustaining drives. I'm not even saying score. Just maybe run some more time off. Maybe 1 or 2 first downs. 1 or 2 more minutes. Our D played lights out the first three quarters. Our O played average. All in all for our defense to work, the offense needs to get first downs.

And to be honest thank god Ryan punted his ass off today because we wouldn't have even made it to overtime if he didn't.

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2po6q6v7 said:
cesame":2po6q6v7 said:
Hawkpower":2po6q6v7 said:

Until then, just no.

The score was 24-7

So you are saying your ok with our offense not sustaining drives. I'm not even saying score. Just maybe run some more time off. Maybe 1 or 2 first downs. 1 or 2 more minutes. Our D played lights out the first three quarters. Our O played average. All in all for our defense to work, the offense needs to get first downs.

And to be honest thank god Ryan punted his ass off today because we wouldn't have even made it to overtime if he didn't.

I'm saying the defense deserves as much blame as the offense.

There's also a trend now where teams are coming up with late scores on them in the 4thQ. I don't like that.

Overall the team isn't as sharp and there's a lot of room for improvement on both sides of the ball.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
cesame":1wowfp91 said:
seahawkfreak":1wowfp91 said:
cesame":1wowfp91 said:
Hawkpower":1wowfp91 said:

Until then, just no.

The score was 24-7

There's also a trend now where teams are coming up with late scores on them in the 4thQ. I don't like that.

Overall the team isn't as sharp and there's a lot of room for improvement on both sides of the ball.

Ok fair. Your not wrong. My only reservation is I think we can win with this D as is. I don't think we can win with the O, as is.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
cesame":2zwg2z2a said:
seahawkfreak":2zwg2z2a said:
cesame":2zwg2z2a said:
Hawkpower":2zwg2z2a said:

Until then, just no.

The score was 24-7

Why are you so hard pressed to defend the offense and not the best individual unit in the NFL over the last 3 years? A unit that has won us so many games that the offense has clunked?

There must be a reason........

This is either Bevell himself or Anthony!! reincarnated :)

Hawkpower

Reaction score
The score was 24-7

You're saying people are making excuses for the offense by blaming the defense. That works both ways. After blowing a 24-7 lead I can easily say you're making excuses for the defense by blaming the offense. Going 3 and out on offense doesn't put up pts on the board for the other team.[/quote]

And to be honest thank god Ryan punted his ass off today because we wouldn't have even made it to overtime if he didn't.[/quote]

Overall the team isn't as sharp and there's a lot of room for improvement on both sides of the ball.[/quote]

Of course the defense deserves some blame. But not much. For gods sake, they arent superheroes.

Why are you so hard pressed to defend the offense and not the best individual unit in the NFL over the last 3 years? A unit that has won us so many games that the offense has clunked?

There must be a reason........

This is either Bevell himself or Anthony!! reincarnated :)[/quote]

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
I'm not defending the offense

I'm saying the defense deserves blame as well. Keep talking about the last 3 years all you want, that's not going to help the defense right now. Every year is a different. Teams don't play at the same level every year and right now the Seahawks are not the best defense in the NFL and they just blew a 17pt lead, all of it in the 4th Q.

kf3339

Reaction score
ALL DEFENSES wear down by the 4th quarter of every game. That is why your offense should be able to sustain a consistent offensive drive yourself in these games.

This is why our ineptitude on offense is the problem. Not our defense.

If we had long drives that take chunks of time off the clock also allows our defense to rest. We don't do this at all.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
cesame":3a9hou9d said:

I'm saying the defense deserves blame as well. Keep talking about the last 3 years all you want, that's not going to help the defense right now. Every year is a different. Teams don't play at the same level every year and right now the Seahawks are not the best defense in the NFL and they just blew a 17pt lead, all of it in the 4th Q.

Seahawks entered today with the #2 ranked defense. It will be a top 3 defense this year just like it always is.

The offense looks like it will be pedestrian again. Same old song.

You still haven't explained why you have pom poms out for our worst unit, but want to be critical of our best?

Still waiting.

mrt144

Reaction score
Hawkpower":n7hyo30c said:
cesame":n7hyo30c said:

Seahawks entered today with the #2 ranked defense. It will be a top 3 defense this year just like it always is.

You still haven't explained why you have pom poms out for our worst unit, but want to be critical of our best?

Still waiting.

Because of expectations.

When an idiot does something genius you are impressed and intrigued.
When a genius does something idiotic you question why you thought they were a genius in the first place.

Mike 4G

Reaction score
Our D held a high powered O to 7 points going into the 4th and scored a TD. But we finish punting 6 times. I am sorry. I just can't be mad at the D at all.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
cesame":2q53dnce said:
2014 - GB NFCCG. Have the lead but GB ties it with a FG to go to OT
- NE in the SB. 10pt lead in the 4th Q, We all know what happened.

2015 - STL. Up 7 with only minutes remaining, team gives up TD and goes to OT. Rams get another drive in OT for the win.
- DET. Give up late drive to Stafford and company and were inches away from taking the lead before Calvin fumble.
- CIN. Blew a 17pt 4th Q lead

If you are counting at home that is 5 out of the last 7 games this defense has given up late drives in the 4th Q. Teams are executing at their best against this defense in the 4th Q. That's not good.

I skimmed really quick and may have missed anyone else pointing this out, but also remember that in these situations teams get an extra down. They don't punt on 4th down. Which is part of the reason it is so important that the offense hold up their part of the bargain and sustain drives, keep scoring, etc…

A constant dependence on the defense to hold up is a fool's errand, I don't care how good you are. The team ahead will play conservative and run the ball, and the team behind will abandon the run and pass on all FOUR downs.

I don't put the blame on this defense. The Bengals offense is clicking on all cylinders this season and there is no reason to expect that any team can just shut them down in that situation without help from the offense.

mrt144

Reaction score
Another perspective: Putting points on the board even while you're ahead ups the risks the other team take to even the score.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
mrt144":1ginwtf7 said:
Another perspective: Putting points on the board even while you're ahead ups the risks the other team take to even the score.
Yeah I wouldn't mind a blowout either. 17 offensive points isn't enough, even in our best days.

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
Hawkpower":7atffkgk said:
cesame":7atffkgk said:

Still waiting.

You have reading problems because I never said I was happy with the offense today. Why would I explain something I never said?

Try reading the thread again.

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
Mike 4G":2wl81pyv said:
Our D held a high powered O to 7 points going into the 4th and scored a TD. But we finish punting 6 times. I am sorry. I just can't be mad at the D at all.

The defense didn't finish just as much as the offense didn't finish.

Did the offense make Kam forget his assignment?

Did the offense make Cary Williams get beat time and time again and pick up penalties?

The defense didn't finish just as much as the offense didn't finish. Again, a team loss.

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":1zqzectz said:
cesame":1zqzectz said:
2014 - GB NFCCG. Have the lead but GB ties it with a FG to go to OT
- NE in the SB. 10pt lead in the 4th Q, We all know what happened.

2015 - STL. Up 7 with only minutes remaining, team gives up TD and goes to OT. Rams get another drive in OT for the win.
- DET. Give up late drive to Stafford and company and were inches away from taking the lead before Calvin fumble.
- CIN. Blew a 17pt 4th Q lead

If you are counting at home that is 5 out of the last 7 games this defense has given up late drives in the 4th Q. Teams are executing at their best against this defense in the 4th Q. That's not good.

I skimmed really quick and may have missed anyone else pointing this out, but also remember that in these situations teams get an extra down. They don't punt on 4th down. Which is part of the reason it is so important that the offense hold up their part of the bargain and sustain drives, keep scoring, etc…

A constant dependence on the defense to hold up is a fool's errand, I don't care how good you are. The team ahead will play conservative and run the ball, and the team behind will abandon the run and pass on all FOUR downs.

I don't put the blame on this defense. The Bengals offense is clicking on all cylinders this season and there is no reason to expect that any team can just shut them down in that situation without help from the offense.

It's a 17pt lead in the 4th Q. They don't have to shut the Bengals down. They just need to not give up 17pts in a quarter. That's not too much to ask.

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/GregABedard/status/653599614910734336[/tweet]