Deflategate basically over after today's press conf

Status
Not open for further replies.

netskier

Reaction score
Alexander, heating the balls with a hair dryer, and immediately storing them in an insulated equipment bag could upside the desired effect. So could inflating the balls with a gas other than air, with a higher heat capacity. The online welders handbook should have the data.

BTW, this book shows the global warming potential is all the gases, not just carbon dioxide, oxygen, and nitrogen.

RobBaker7714409

Reaction score
furi0usbee":3jdexr0a said:
Hey, credibility shoutout. Richard Sherman is a great player and I'd love to have him playing on my team. Can I get some reciprocation?

I like Brady. He's a winner. He's got a smoking hot wife. He's what every kid wants to be when he grows up. He's won me a crapload of money in fantasy football over the years.

I wish he just would have fessed up & admitted an "Oops!" moment. We got caught with our hand in the cookie jar. Oh well. On to Seattle. I doubt this episode will tarnish his reputation, but there's a small possibility it might if a ball boy comes clean on the house of lies.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Looks to me like the NFL set the Patriots up to get busted and they got busted and now they are scrambling to cover ads. I hope and also don't think anything will come of it till after the game, no excuses, but this isn't just going to go away. If you think so you're incredibly naïve. The patriots are documented cheaters under this regime.

furi0usbee

Reaction score
Hawknballs":16h57qus said:
What is it about the playoffs that brings out the worst/dumbest of opposing team's fans? All season long we've had good visiting fans, then the playoffs hit and everyone goes full r-word.

I haven't seen too many crazy NE fans here. Unless you consider *this* fan to be one of the bad ones, I haven't seen anything like I saw on the Ravens forum. I've been registering with each team we've faced this post-season, and I've always tried to not be a jerk unless someone was being a jerk to me. Colts forum was really good, despite the issues they went through with us. Ravens fans would not talk football, just would complain and name call.

So I'm hoping to have a week of actual football discussion here. I don't expect people to hold off on the cheating stuff, deflategate, etc. but I'd also like to talk about the actual game as well. I can want to beat you guys as much as you want to beat me, but I can be civil about and engage in normal discussion without resorting to personal attacks before the end of every closing grammar mark.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
furi0usbee":tif213h5 said:
So I'm hoping to have a week of actual football discussion here. I don't expect people to hold off on the cheating stuff, deflategate, etc. but I'd also like to talk about the actual game as well. I can want to beat you guys as much as you want to beat me, but I can be civil about and engage in normal discussion without resorting to personal attacks before the end of every closing grammar mark.

Feel free to start new topics with new threads. Lots of people want to talk football. This thread, however, is about Deflate-gate and today's press conference.

furi0usbee

Reaction score
RobBaker7714409":3h5mezlz said:
furi0usbee":3h5mezlz said:
Hey, credibility shoutout. Richard Sherman is a great player and I'd love to have him playing on my team. Can I get some reciprocation?

I like Brady. He's a winner. He's got a smoking hot wife. He's what every kid wants to be when he grows up. He's won me a crapload of money in fantasy football over the years.

I wish he just would have fessed up & admitted an "Oops!" moment. We got caught with our hand in the cookie jar. Oh well. On to Seattle. I doubt this episode will tarnish his reputation, but there's a small possibility it might if a ball boy comes clean on the house of lies.

If I could show you the emails I sent to my father, I was harder on Brady for lying than most people on this board. I still think he lied. I'm 99.9999999999% certain he knew the balls he presented were well under 12.5 PSI. So he lost some of my respect for sure. But until the NFL says otherwise, or proves otherwise, if this is a case of Patriots presenting under-inflated balls to the refs, and the refs signing off on them and using them, then later on having issues with them, well that's also on the NFL. If Brady or anyone tampered with the balls, you won't hear me defend that ever.

furi0usbee

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":30u5pgdl said:
furi0usbee":30u5pgdl said:

Feel free to start new topics with new threads. Lots of people want to talk football. This thread, however, is about Deflate-gate and today's press conference.

Duly noted. I won't dare start a thread as a pats fan! But I'll look for game threads to pop up this week.

furi0usbee

Reaction score
I wonder if Vegas is going to have over/under odds on Patriots PSI? The line would probably be about 11.5. :mrgreen:

Reaneypark

Reaction score
furi0usbee":p0c4a7wz said:
Alexander":p0c4a7wz said:
furi0usbee":p0c4a7wz said:
I'm sure the Patriots didn't need any motivation, but I'm sure they'll put a little more sugar on their hits come next Sunday. I know one thing, I haven't seen this much hate for two teams by the general public/country in a long time. Whatever you want to call this game, it's gonna be entertaining that's for sure. I really like the matchups, and hopefully Seattle injuries can make the day a bit easier.

I'm not going to pretend that no Seahawks fans would ever secretly hope for some Pats injuries to make the game easier, but it's pretty classless to come to our message board and outright admit it.

Did you do that on purpose? I'm clearly speaking of Sherman and Thomas, who already have injuries. I know you probably hate Patriots fans right now, but I would never wish injuries on any player. So I'll accept your apology in your zeal to swat another Pats fan, as I'm sure some of us have deserved it lately.

Get on your bike. Michael Bennett can loan you one.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
furi0usbee":1laoisy8 said:
SnoCoHawk":1laoisy8 said:
furi0usbee":1laoisy8 said:

Duly noted. I won't dare start a thread as a pats fan! But I'll look for game threads to pop up this week.

Why not? You don't sound like a troll, you don't have a troll name (gotta love people who come in here with a user name like "SeahagsSuck" and then don't understand why we're not real welcoming) so there's no reason you can't start a topic.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
500x1000px-LL-244408c9_billbelichickscience-480x299.jpeg

hawk45

Reaction score
furi0usbee":2r49dyzw said:
Do you guys think Pete Carroll may have a hard time keeping this game all business, and not delving into a personal mission to beat his former team/employer? Carroll always had success early in the season with us, but fell off the radar at the end. Obviously he would love to win the game for the game's sake, but I wonder if he will try a little bit harder to show us up.

I think it being his former team/employer has entered his mind. I don't know how closely you have followed the Seahawks, but Carroll and Harbaugh have had a deep-seated enmity going to back to their time at USC and Stanford. And up to last year, Harbaugh was the heralded NFL coach with 3 NFCC games under his belt and media swinging from his...media adulation. I didn't detect any inferiority in preparation for the SF games.

So take a Seahawk fan's opinion with whatever degree of seriousness you decide makes sense, but this year Pete is a Superbowl champion, universally recognized as a great defensive mind, and so my reading is that the greater pressure on Pete will be the historical ramifications of trying to repeat as champion.

I think at the level of the Superbowl, the stakes are so high that sphincters just cannot get any tighter and that includes the deflation storyline. But if he does win, I do think at some point afterwards it'll tickle him to have beaten the Patriots.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The Pats have been on a historic very low fumble rate since 2007, the year the NFL allowed visiting teams to provide their own balls. I feel pretty confident attributing that the the way they "prepare" their footballs.

In the SB, the first time a Pats player has a drop or fumble, guess what every Pat, from the ballboy to the owner, will be thinking now? Wish we didn't have to play with these fully inflated balls!

furi0usbee

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2gzogg45 said:
The Pats have been on a historic very low fumble rate since 2007, the year the NFL allowed visiting teams to provide their own balls. I feel pretty confident attributing that the the way they "prepare" their footballs.

In the SB, the first time a Pats player has a drop or fumble, guess what every Pat, from the ballboy to the owner, will be thinking now? Wish we didn't have to play with these fully inflated balls!

This is one of those things that can go either way. The Patriots can now be concerned with running with heaver balls, and Seattle maybe thinks that if they get in there and try to punch that ball out, they can get some turnovers. Both ways of thinking can surely get you out of fundamentals. I can't even count how many times I see guys trying to punch a ball, when if they just went for the tackle, they would have either saved a first down or at least held the runner on yardage.

I've been to Patriots training camp before, and I can attest to Belichicks claim they practice with less than average balls. I remember players coming over after catches to sign autographs, and those footballs certainly looked like they went through the ringer.

furi0usbee

Reaction score
hawk45":1ujbtsue said:
furi0usbee":1ujbtsue said:
Do you guys think Pete Carroll may have a hard time keeping this game all business, and not delving into a personal mission to beat his former team/employer? Carroll always had success early in the season with us, but fell off the radar at the end. Obviously he would love to win the game for the game's sake, but I wonder if he will try a little bit harder to show us up.

I think it being his former team/employer has entered his mind. I don't know how closely you have followed the Seahawks, but Carroll and Harbaugh have had a deep-seated enmity going to back to their time at USC and Stanford. And up to last year, Harbaugh was the heralded NFL coach with 3 NFCC games under his belt and media swinging from his...media adulation. I didn't detect any inferiority in preparation for the SF games.

So take a Seahawk fan's opinion with whatever degree of seriousness you decide makes sense, but this year Pete is a Superbowl champion, universally recognized as a great defensive mind, and so my reading is that the greater pressure on Pete will be the historical ramifications of trying to repeat as champion.

I think at the level of the Superbowl, the stakes are so high that sphincters just cannot get any tighter and that includes the deflation storyline. But if he does win, I do think at some point afterwards it'll tickle him to have beaten the Patriots.

Speaking of Harbaugh, I'll say one thing, he has over-inflated balls. I was at the Ravens/Pats divisional game, and he's not afraid to go after a team. He made some great calls. I was wasn't too worried after being down 14-0 as I had 3 pair of wool socks and my toes were killing me.

And if reports are true, it was Harbaugh who alerted Colts about ball pressure...

hawk45

Reaction score
furi0usbee":11pyxil3 said:
Scottemojo":11pyxil3 said:

This is one of those things that can go either way. The Patriots can now be concerned with running with heaver balls, and Seattle maybe thinks that if they get in there and try to punch that ball out, they can get some turnovers. Both ways of thinking can surely get you out of fundamentals. I can't even count how many times I see guys trying to punch a ball, when if they just went for the tackle, they would have either saved a first down or at least held the runner on yardage.

I've been to Patriots training camp before, and I can attest to Belichicks claim they practice with less than average balls. I remember players coming over after catches to sign autographs, and those footballs certainly looked like they went through the ringer.

I didn't see that Scotte was implying a Seahawk advantage. He was pointing out that *if* a fumble or drop occurs, everyone in the stadium and on their couch will be thinking about the air pressure of the footballs. And that's undeniably true.

I expect Belichick will preach ball security with as much vigor as always, and Pete will preach going after the ball the same as he always has done, i.e. get that ball if you can but do not sacrifice tackling because of it.

Have you seen many occasions where *Seahawk* players have missed tackles trying to strip the football? It does happen of course, but the Seahawks are perhaps the best-tackling team in the NFL.

vonstout

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":3j8kl9m8 said:
Pats called a pc today. Belichick detailed a series of experiments the team performed the past couple of days. The main news was that the prepping/rubbing of the footballs, which occurs just prior to turning them over the ref for measurement, causes the psi to go up by 1 full psi. So if they do that and turn it over the ref at 12.5 psi, after a while of sitting, the balls will lose that 1 psi down to 11.5. The diff in temps from indoors to outdoors accounts for additional .5 psi change. So the psi went down in their experiments by a total of 1.5 psi. They were able to duplicate this for multiple footballs.

Very convincing, and I'm sure they documented the crap out of everything they did. It's over, the league will have to back off, though I won't hold my breath for the apology they owe.

May be convincing to you, but not anyone with common sense. He said that they tell the nfl to inflate them to 12.5 psi and they don't do it. The NFL doesn't adjust the pressure. And if they are stroking the ball enough to raise the temp that much, they are doing it intentionally to have it drop, which is the same as putting it index a heat lamp. The laws of physics don't back up what he said either. It's a very simple equation and the pressure drop is directly proportional to the temp drop in Kelvin. He's making crap up.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
furi0usbee":n6jcc33i said:
Scottemojo":n6jcc33i said:

That is not unique, I know there is a temptation to think that Bill is coaching guys better than everyone else, but prior to the rule change in 2007, the Pats were a league average team at putting the ball on the ground. I doubt bill started coaching ball security just in 2007, and I doubt he started using shitty balls to practice with on that date either.

Once again. 2007, teams provide own balls, Pats go from league average to best ever at avoiding fumbles. Them, and only them.

BTW, the balls will not really be heavier. Just a bit bouncier.

Status
Not open for further replies.