Deion Sanders on LOB

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2017":29wxgqmx said:
Sgt. Largent":29wxgqmx said:
hawknation2017":29wxgqmx said:
Kam has stayed so close to the team since his injury. He has spent a lot of time mentoring Bradley McDougald. I have a feeling he decides to return, a la Earl Thomas a year ago.

Of course Kam's going to return, he's set to make 10M in 2018 and the Hawk's can't cut him cause it's almost all dead cap.

Even if he can't play most or any of the entire season, he'll force the Hawk's to put him on IR so he can get paid.

Kam will probably choose to play, IMO. He was at the top of his game before the "stringer," and his legacy is on the line.

Of course, but from what I've read Kam's injury is serious enough for him to contemplate retirement.

But like I said, why would he do that, he's set to make almost 10M.

What we have to worry about is this turning into a big fight if the Hawk's medical staff think he's unfit to play and want him to retire so they can get off his salary.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":33etcvac said:
semiahmoo":33etcvac said:
MontanaHawk05":33etcvac said:
The Seahawks were 2016's #1 defense right up until Earl's injury.

This year, they held Aaron Rodgers to 17 points and the Rams to 10, both in their own houses.

Rumors of the LOB's demise "years ago" are greatly exaggerated. A step down from 2014's peak, and a few more bad games here and there, but they were still a defense that NFL coaches respected. You can be sure that they gameplanned carefully for them.

Truth is, they just got injured, and nobody wants to accept that explanation because there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Respected - yes.

Feared - no.

They were no longer the Legion of Boom.

This is from last season. Good article that makes some valid points:

The End of the Seattle Seahawks' Legion of Boom Is Officially Here

ATLANTA — In 2013 or 2014, what happened to the Seattle Seahawks on Saturday would have been unimaginable. In 2015, it would have still been hard to conceive.

But in 2016, this is the new normal for the Seahawks.

...Seattle's decline in the past four years has been measurable. In 2013, the Seahawks led the league by allowing only 4.8 net yards per pass attempt. They slipped to a tie for third in 2014 with 5.5 net yards per attempt and then tied for fifth with 5.8 net yards per attempt in 2015.

This year, Seattle fell to a pedestrian 11th-place tie in the league at 6.2 net yards per attempt."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2687 ... ially-here

Jason Cole finding a cherry-picked stat without perspective (5.5 and 5.8 are still great figures for net yards per pass attempt) in order to justify a clickbait article isn't convincing to any objective observer. And he's blatantly ignoring the injury factor for 2017.

Seattle was top 2 in YPG allowed in both 2014 and 2015. #1 DVOA in 2014, #3 in 2015. Hardly a dropoff.
--------------------------

Article points to a steady decline. He's right. Going from 1st to 11th is pretty dramatic. Also confirms my earlier statement that it hasn't been the LoB for the last couple of seasons. As for injuries - that is at least partially due to age and accumulated hard miles from the D. They are older/tired and given the drop in overeall rank, now largely overpaid.

Pete tried to win paying big $$$$ for an aging defense + give a big money contract to Wilson but at the same time cut corners via the O-line, running game, etc. It was a contradictory approach and a recipe for failure. Some of us saw it coming. Some didn't.

This season clearly spells out who was seeing more clearly...

semiahmoo

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2rueizpt said:
But does I told you so really feel good in this case?

Exactly. I wish what I knew had been proven wrong.

I want to have another SB run. I miss those days - BIG TIME.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
semiahmoo":3blrbf42 said:
MontanaHawk05":3blrbf42 said:
semiahmoo":3blrbf42 said:
MontanaHawk05":3blrbf42 said:
The Seahawks were 2016's #1 defense right up until Earl's injury.

This year, they held Aaron Rodgers to 17 points and the Rams to 10, both in their own houses.

Rumors of the LOB's demise "years ago" are greatly exaggerated. A step down from 2014's peak, and a few more bad games here and there, but they were still a defense that NFL coaches respected. You can be sure that they gameplanned carefully for them.

Truth is, they just got injured, and nobody wants to accept that explanation because there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Respected - yes.

Feared - no.

They were no longer the Legion of Boom.

This is from last season. Good article that makes some valid points:

The End of the Seattle Seahawks' Legion of Boom Is Officially Here

ATLANTA — In 2013 or 2014, what happened to the Seattle Seahawks on Saturday would have been unimaginable. In 2015, it would have still been hard to conceive.

But in 2016, this is the new normal for the Seahawks.

...Seattle's decline in the past four years has been measurable. In 2013, the Seahawks led the league by allowing only 4.8 net yards per pass attempt. They slipped to a tie for third in 2014 with 5.5 net yards per attempt and then tied for fifth with 5.8 net yards per attempt in 2015.

This year, Seattle fell to a pedestrian 11th-place tie in the league at 6.2 net yards per attempt."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2687 ... ially-here

Jason Cole finding a cherry-picked stat without perspective (5.5 and 5.8 are still great figures for net yards per pass attempt) in order to justify a clickbait article isn't convincing to any objective observer. And he's blatantly ignoring the injury factor for 2017.

Seattle was top 2 in YPG allowed in both 2014 and 2015. #1 DVOA in 2014, #3 in 2015. Hardly a dropoff.
--------------------------

Article points to a steady decline. He's right. Going from 1st to 11th is pretty dramatic. Also confirms my earlier statement that it hasn't been the LoB for the last couple of seasons. As for injuries - that is at least partially due to age and accumulated hard miles from the D. They are older/tired and given the drop in overeall rank, now largely overpaid.

Pete tried to win paying big $$$$ for an aging defense + give a big money contract to Wilson but at the same time cut corners via the O-line, running game, etc. It was a contradictory approach and a recipe for failure. Some of us saw it coming. Some didn't.

This season clearly spells out who was seeing more clearly...

You completely dismissed everything I said out of hand. Used one stat to defend your position when others contradict it.

Also, give Seattle credit for letting several guys go. Brandon Mebane didn't get another contract. Byron Maxwell and Bruce Irvin were allowed to walk. They didn't resign Brandon Browner, thank goodness. Chris Clemons didn't get a massive new contract. Atyha Rubin and Tony McDaniel are gone. More importantly, Seattle has drafted guys to replace each of these. The reloading that everyone wishes had started years ago? It started years ago.

The guys they did pay for, are top 5 at their position. Injuries tend to happen when getting older, but they're also fluky, and using that as an angle to criticize Pete Carroll and demand a coaching change is a sure sign of an agenda. They took a reasonable gamble. It didn't work out.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, I'm pretty sure you said they have no chance of making the playoffs. So if they do, next beer is on me :irishdrinkers:

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Deion who?
I can't wait for him to leave and start coaching at FSU.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I cannot stomach listening to that loud-mouthed narcissistic blow hard. I would rather poke my eyes out with a rusty fork.

Subzero717

Reaction score
He like the rest of these dummies that make these proclomations, why? I don't get what he gets out making such statements. I get the guys that need it to get attention. Bayless, Whitlock, Cowherd. They are hot takes. Dieon is a HOFer. He should be better than this.

As far as his opinion, who knows. Does Kam come back and how is he if he does? Until we know that its pure speculation. They are still playing at a very high level.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":n7t0x0d0 said:
using that as an angle to criticize Pete Carroll and demand a coaching change is a sure sign of an agenda. They took a reasonable gamble. It didn't work out.

Almost Sioux like in the devotion to the agenda, really.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":3shjbd9x said:
Comments on the LoB from a guy who couldn't tackle a scarecrow in a cornfield?

:roll: :rofl: :laugh:
Thread winner right there! :2thumbs:

SeaChat

Reaction score
I've said it already in another one of the "Kill the LOB" threads, that the LOB is not a collection of players, it's a defensive strategy and philosophy, that was implemented with a group of players, that all did their part, and were, as a result, pronounced to be members of the Original Legion of Boom.

The Next Man Up, Compete For Your Position, philosophy, and the Seahawk's Defensive game plan, is still alive and well in Seattle. So to think that because of the departure of any or all of the original players, coached in that school of play, would bring an end to the LOB, is pure foolishness, in my mind anyway.

Which is exactly how I interpret most everything that Dione Sanders has to say. That guy, doesn't know the meaning of the word loyalty, friendship, trust, he shoots his mouth off, in most instances long before his brain has had a chance to catch up with what is pouring out of mouth, talks one minute abut how much he loves and respects someone and two minutes later tosses them under the bus without even blinking.

Does it affect the LOB, when some of the members of our defense go out injured? sure it does, it would be foolish to not recognize that it would, but does the Next Man Up, that take the places of their injured teammate, once allowed a little play time to adjust to playing as part of the LOB, not play as well as if not in some instances better than the LOB teammate they replaced?

We lost Cliff Avril, Frank Smith is no second stringer, he stepped up to the plate and has been doing one hell of a job for us. We lost Richard Sherman, and in reality lost about 30% of Richard Sherman before the season ever started, playing with an injury waiting to go off, I think that Byron Maxwell and Shaquill Griffin, have both stepped up and done a great job of filing in for Richard, both making big plays for us, Kam, the enforcer goes down and out, it hurt like hell to loose him, just as much or more than it would to loose Earl, but Next Man Up McDougaled has done one hell of a great job of filling that spot and proven his metal as a member of the LOB so far as I'm concerned.

The biggest obsticle to overcome in each of these sort of transitions, is not the lack of quality in the play of the Next Man Up, it's the necessary time that the players stepping up need on the field with the team to get in sync. Once they have a few games behind them we see them playing like they had been there all along and often times they start to outshine the players replaced. To say that the LOB is dead or dying is assinine so far as I'm concerned, when the Defensive game plane goes in the dumpster that the LOB was founded on , then I would say that the LOB would likely went wtih it.

On a closing note, I'd also say that other teams and former coaches have tried to steal our LOB playbook and make it their own, which is one hell of a compliment and testament to the LOB and our success. but the one thing that none of these other teams have been able to steal or replicate, is the one thing that sets the Seattle Seahawks, as a whole, apart from all those other teams out there, and that is the the big, brightt, beatiful shining spirit that embodies and manifests itself in the Seahawks organization and all of it's fans, that other teams can only wish they had.

How many times have you heard other players coming to Seattle talk about how jealous they were of Seahawk players because of the crazy wonderful loyalty, love and support they recieved from their fans? That is the real magic of the LOB's existance. As long as that spirit lives so lives the LOB.

The LOB is alive and well, Long Live The Legion Of Boom.

Go Seahawks!

Atradees

Reaction score
The Legion of Boom caused turnovers. Maxwell, Browner and Kam would hit guys so hard it caused turnovers.
Maxwell was a welcome addition. He has always been a step slow, gotten turned around and such. His gift was length and being in the right spot to cause a turnover. Max did that against the Cowboys. I like the additions but if you cant get INTs are you really all that imposing as a DB?

Never liked Sanders.....Hasselbeck is the perfect "Color Guy".

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Atradees":1ufkp76v said:
The Legion of Boom caused turnovers. Maxwell, Browner and Kam would hit guys so hard it caused turnovers.
Maxwell was a welcome addition. He has always been a step slow, gotten turned around and such. His gift was length and being in the right spot to cause a turnover. Max did that against the Cowboys. I like the additions but if you cant get INTs are you really all that imposing as a DB?

Heck yes. But this is a result of the "Hawk Tackle" technique that Pete Carroll shamelessly stole from Rugby. That level will be there once these young DBs come into their own.

Atradees

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":3f0zemd1 said:
Atradees":3f0zemd1 said:

Heck yes. But this is a result of the "Hawk Tackle" technique that Pete Carroll shamelessly stole from Rugby. That level will be there once these young DBs come into their own.

Shaq Griffen has defended mass passes already......loads of potential.

Latest posts