Starters not on the team next year predictions:

HawkerD

Reaction score
Y'all know you need to have 53 or so players on the roster?? Getting rid of guys on their rookie deals who can contribute is no that great of an idea.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Rams are real good, and have a good record with a cake schedule. I'll be more impressed after I see how they do in the playoffs. Clearly they are gonna' be our main competition. WAY too early to assume the Niners are on the brink, probably 2 or 3 years away. But the division is gonna' be a 3 team race in a couple years for sure. 2019, I can see the Niners being a factor, especially w/a good QB and a ridiculous amount of cap space.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3jt8ij9s said:
SoulfishHawk":3jt8ij9s said:
It's amazing that people have all the sudden crowned the Rams the next New England after ONE good season.

No one is crowning them as such, but you're naive if you think they haven't caught up to us in talent and have arguably surpassed us in coaching.

San Francisco is coming too. They have a QB now and a mountain of cap room.

If we sit by idly and continue the same ol' song, we're going to get lapped by the division before you know it.

SoulFish: Why not crown them? Maybe not the next NE (There will never be another NE) but certainly the cream of the NFC west. They are stacked everywhere and have a ton of Cap room. You probably wanted to crown the Hawks after Russ's rookie year! The future is bright for the Rams

SF is charging hard. Good Coaching - Check, Good GM - check. Youth - Check. Good draft position - check. Bright Future - check.

Seymour

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1o2rpi0c said:
original poster":1o2rpi0c said:
CodeWarrior":1o2rpi0c said:
original poster":1o2rpi0c said:
Purely from a cap perspective and not who I necessarily want to be cut, these guys make sense -

Richard Sherman - $11M cap saving
K.J Wright - $7.2M cap saving
Cliff Avril - $7.5M cap saving
Jeremy Lane - $4.75M cap saving
Jon Ryan - $2M cap saving
Neiko Thorpe - $1.85M cap saving
C.J Prosise - just under $0.5M cap saving
Nick Vannett - just under $0.5M cap saving
George Fant - $0.63M cap saving
DeAndre Elliott - $0.63M cap saving
Tre Madden - $0.63M cap saving
Tanner McEvoy - $0.63M cap saving
Jordan Roos - Just over $0.5M cap saving
David Moore - Just over $0.5M cap saving

I don’t see how cutting Fant, Vannnett, or Roos makes any sense.

Not saying it does at all, just listing the players that have more of a cap saving than a cap hit.

Ah, gotcha.

Also, I highly doubt Kam retires. Guy just got an extension he was fighting for. No way he just leaves that money on the table. He’ll find a way to linger if he can’t contribute.

There is a very good chance Kam will have little choice. Kam and his wife were seen going to a meeting at the VMAC about a month ago to have a meeting with Pete and Jon. That is NOT SOP and may well be telling about the extent of his injury.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Crowning them after one good season? Nah. Takes a lot more than one good season to all the sudden get crowned. Just my own opinion, and yes I can't stand the Rams. So there is that. When I see the consistency over a few seasons, I'll be convinced.

RussB

Reaction score
Bennett
Cliff
Kam
Wright

I think those guys have a high chance of being gone. ET3 and sherman and wagner will probably be the only guys left and sherman might get delt too.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
What pisses me off most is all of the players listed on this thread we could have gotten high picks for if we traded them in the off season, or even last year while they were still healthy with multiple years under contract.

Now they're injured and old, and have ZERO trade value.

So other than just cutting them and getting cap relief, there's no upside. It's EXACTLY why Belichick and the Patriot's trade their defensive stars IN their prime, and not wait until it's too late.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3hdh24ng said:
Crowning them after one good season? Nah. Takes a lot more than one good season to all the sudden get crowned. Just my own opinion, and yes I can't stand the Rams. So there is that. When I see the consistency over a few seasons, I'll be convinced.

The Fisher Rams are gone. This is a new team. What I find ironic is the fact that they have now built exactly what Pete desires with the exception of the strong secondary, but they also have a good oline. And they don't need that strong secondary with that Dline. Pete could save a bunch of $$ on the back end adjusting his build to that model. Of course they would need to find another Donald out there or something close, Richardson is not it though.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Easier said than done. We have no idea what other teams were offering, or if they were offering anything at all. And knowing when it's time to let a guy go is no exact science. Looking at it now, obviously it would have been better to trade some of the guys, but the team had no way of knowing that Avril, Kam and Sherm would all go down. And the chemistry in the locker room (not that it has been great overall) goes way down if they had started trading the core defensive guys.

original poster

Reaction score
RussB":l83iwmuw said:
Bennett
Cliff
Kam
Wright

I think those guys have a high chance of being gone. ET3 and sherman and wagner will probably be the only guys left and sherman might get delt too.

Cutting those 4 plus Jeremy Lane free's up nearly $24M in cap space.

If you add Sherm to that, it comes to nearly $35M.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":w00zyyur said:
Easier said than done. We have no idea what other teams were offering, or if they were offering anything at all. And knowing when it's time to let a guy go is no exact science. Looking at it now, obviously it would have been better to trade some of the guys, but the team had no way of knowing that Avril, Kam and Sherm would all go down. And the chemistry in the locker room (not that it has been great overall) goes way down if they had started trading the core defensive guys.

They were offering more than zero draft picks, which is what our injured overpriced vets are worth now..............and not sure how chemistry can get much worse than it is now.

It's been a detriment to this locker room for 2-3 years now.

RussB

Reaction score
original poster":fdja4ooo said:
RussB":fdja4ooo said:
Bennett
Cliff
Kam
Wright

Cutting those 4 plus Jeremy Lane free's up nearly $24M in cap space.

If you add Sherm to that, it comes to nearly $35M.
Exactly, they are aging and its foolish to be holding on to them for so long while the offense is in shambles. Time to let some of them go while building around wagner and wilson.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3sih1je0 said:
What pisses me off most is all of the players listed on this thread we could have gotten high picks for if we traded them in the off season, or even last year while they were still healthy with multiple years under contract.

So other than just cutting them and getting cap relief, there's no upside. It's EXACTLY why Belichick and the Patriot's trade their defensive stars IN their prime, and not wait until it's too late.

Misguided anger when there is nobody to step in for them and keep us competitive. That anger should be toward the draft and who is making those choices IMO.

What good are draft picks when we turn them into Ifedi's and McDowell's while passing on many many solid starters?

RussB

Reaction score
Seymour":2ieb7c6c said:
Sgt. Largent":2ieb7c6c said:

Misguided anger when there is nobody to step in for them and keep us competitive. That anger should be toward the draft and who is making those choices IMO.

What good are draft picks when we turn them into Ifedi's and McDowell's while passing on many many solid starters?
I still dont get to this day that they didnt take ramzyk.

Seymour

Reaction score
RussB":zgemvi44 said:
Seymour":zgemvi44 said:
Sgt. Largent":zgemvi44 said:

I still dont get to this day that they didnt take ramzyk.

Or Cam Robinson. :roll:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2isongii said:
Sgt. Largent":2isongii said:

That's why you trade aging vets, for draft picks.

It also creates a wider net for a better chance of hitting on the picks.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Again, extremely easy to say that they should traded a bunch of these guys after the fact. How many people were saying they should trade all these guys before the season? And if they did, all we would hear is "what the hell are they doing?"

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":59ja9zer said:
Seymour":59ja9zer said:
Sgt. Largent":59ja9zer said:

So you trade aging vets for draft picks that you have been missing on continue to miss on?

Got it. :2thumbs:

We had 10 last year, yet are forced into signing Walsh, Lacy, Joeckel.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1pf0656d said:
Again, extremely easy to say that they should traded a bunch of these guys after the fact. How many people were saying they should trade all these guys before the season? And if they did, all we would hear is "what the hell are they doing?"

You keep arguing in extremes.

I never said trade ALL of them, or that the problem is ONLY age. We can come to a sensible medium you know.

Yes, it's a tough choice to decide to trade away popular vets who are still playing well. But that's what vision is, to trust your GM to use those picks wisely to find the right replacements to continue to compete, and not sell out like we did this year mortgaging our future in the hopes that most of these guys could stay healthy and productive all year.

Now we're screwed. We've got injured untradable vets on the bench, and 30% less picks over the next two years to replace them.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":sam6rgyn said:
Sgt. Largent":sam6rgyn said:
Seymour":sam6rgyn said:
Sgt. Largent":sam6rgyn said:

So you trade aging vets for draft picks that you have been missing on continue to miss on?

Got it. :2thumbs:

We had 10 last year, yet are forced into signing Walsh, Lacy, Joeckel.

You left out Pocic, Griffin and Jones, all contributors this year, and good contributors.............

Latest posts