Denver defense - Overhyped

plyka

Reaction score
aulaza":2z5z1znh said:
Hawkalypse":2z5z1znh said:
aulaza":2z5z1znh said:
I'm sick and tired of the issue of 'strength of schedule'. It is a subject that is discussed ad nauseam about most teams each year. Every year, there are very good teams that people claim 'only have that record because they have an easy schedule'. We see it with the Pats virtually every year, in this thread it just happens to be the Broncos. Guess what? If you win 13 games, you're good.
Than take some meds and go to bed. Your team got to where it is on backs of substandard teams with "mediocre" defenses. Good for fantasy football teams, but it will be a bruising wakeup call when you face us. Understand this, this team is well aware that they need to bring a title back to Seattle and if they have to bury your boy number 18, sack or not, they will.

Its ironic that us Broncos fans were asked to be respectful when coming onto this board, when most hawks fans have been rude and disrespectful. I've always liked Seattle, but the views of fans on here is quite worrisome. I don't want to tarnish all with the same brush here, but the majority of you guys have been arrogant about your team - it reminds me of (annoying) Pats fans and its not cool guys. Lets show some class and be respectful here.

As for the rest of it, lets talk about this match up, comparing who each other has played is a useless exercise. Its not Denver's fault if a) they put up massive yardage on teams and kill their defensive stats or b) they play teams and make them look worse than they are or c) they play teams that are just plain poor, and beat them easily. The mark of a good team is that it trounces the rubbish teams - Denver did that. Denver is a good team, there is no getting around that. Let's talk about this match up, not the regular season - its irrelevant now. Its a shame because this is a great match-up between two very good teams. I believe Seattle is a bad match-up for Denver and I slightly favour them in the game, but it will never be the case that this was not a good Broncos football team, regardless of the result in the SB, which may not be as one-sided as you guys all seem to think.

Seahawks fans are arrogant because they know just how good their team is. Some of us were worried about the niners, because quite frankly they would have destroyed your team. I would have been the biggest ronco fan had the niners won. Deep inside I would have know what you probably know now. The broncos are an average team with a damn good QB. The AFc is incredibly weak. The third best team in the NFC west is most likely the 3rd best team in the entire AFC. Denver played the easiest schedule in the NFL. These are just realities we must all face. You have a bad defense. Your WR group is good. The rest of your offense is mediocre. Yes I said M-E-D-I-O-C-R-E. Worst of all your only strength is the one area where the hawks have a LEGENDARY strength. And worst worst of all your greatest asset has a noodle arm and will be playing outside in jersey in the winter where there is always wind.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":352b21zb said:
MileHighFish":352b21zb said:
MizzouHawkGal":352b21zb said:
Before Kansas City lost Houston and Hali on nearly consequesitve plays they both had that game and were sacking Peyton with regularity in Denver. In Kansas City they still put up a good fight despite still being a shell of themselves because of injury.

KC had a total of 0 sacks combined this season versus Denver...
They pressured him, you know it, I know it, everyone knows it. And more important is that you and I know beyond a doubt that game swung because of those freak injuries just like when Talib got cheap shotted.

I would not doubt you, as you would see the Broncos more than I would. :) I think this is a situation that favors the rotating wheel of boom that Seattle has for defensive linemen, especially in the second half. Our spread the love way of rotating players in and out and making the right adjustments for the Avril + Bennett combo number 5 is really dialed in well at this point. I think Manning will have his hands full (or empty with the ball on the ground, if I had my way!) late in the game with our front.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":xzxu7ahu said:
MileHighFish":xzxu7ahu said:
... and Denver has the best offense in the NFL and I fully expect to see more of it come Sunday.

It's the never ending argument. Can't wait until it's actually determined on the field vs on a message board.

Yes, they most certainly do. There are a few items I am generally interesting in hearing from Denver fans about. (Note: If someone trolls, I will ignore your post entirely so don't bother trying).

1. Manning is like an Offensive Coordinator when he is on the field, and that is what I like most about him. Most defenses in the league are heavy on scheme whereas Seattle is not. While they will disguise coverages, the majority of what we are doing is not being hidden from Manning, and is not something he will need to fish around and discover. Seattle lines up and dares you to beat them. Likewise, Seattle runs non-standard versions of their coverage that Jon Gruden laughingly calls the "Triangle." Do folks see this as indifferent, a problem, or a bonus for Manning?

2. Seattle is a very physical football team, both on defense and on offense. Marshawn Lynch is unique in the sense that his objective is not to run around people (per se) it is to run OVER them, beat them up, wear them down physically, and reap the benefits of that both in the present and future portions of the game. He is also INCREDIBLY difficult to tackle, so teams prone to tackling problems (haha 2010 Saints :p) are teams he feasts on. Likewise Seattle's defense will physically punish you (legally) on the plays you make and the plays you don't make. How will this Denver squad deal with this kind of game from Seattle, in the cold, in February, for 4 quarters? Disclaimer: I am asking about now, not earlier in the season; do not waste my time with anecdotes about how you played this team, this one time, in band camp earlier in the season. It frankly does NOT matter at all.

3. I have heard a lot about Denver's offense and their Defense, but I have heard very little about their Special Teams, other than their placekicker. How are they at making plays on kickoff and punt returns (both defending them, and with the ball themselves) right now? Seattle has done very well on both sides of the ball in terms of special teams, as has Percy Harvin returning and owning kickoff return duties this game. Tate has been a STUD on punt returns (he is kind of a poor man's Harvin in a way; albeit without the afterburners) and Seattle almost broke the NFL record for least yards surrendered on punt returns. Note: I think our placekickers are a wash. Both are really talented dudes. No need to talk about them.

That is it for now. :thirishdrinkers:
The New England game at Foxburo is your best approximation.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
They've good not great. My advice? Don't discount them but we're much better. With Percy? It's a question not worth asking.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
One more thing...

There is a lot of hyperbole going around about the Seahawks not having their fans with them at this game (which I actually think is only about 50% true) which boils down to us not having homefield advantage. Since this is a neutral site game, neither does Denver. With that said, the Broncos do lose something they have enjoyed at home. They lose the altitude difference at Mile High, which for players not accustomed to those conditions, causes havok on their ability to keep their gas tank full later in games. Given that Denver (like Seattle) has played both of their playoff games at home, do you feel that this is advantage Seahawks, or something indifferent?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":1rfz33ro said:
MizzouHawkGal":1rfz33ro said:
MileHighFish":1rfz33ro said:
MizzouHawkGal":1rfz33ro said:
Before Kansas City lost Houston and Hali on nearly consequesitve plays they both had that game and were sacking Peyton with regularity in Denver. In Kansas City they still put up a good fight despite still being a shell of themselves because of injury.

KC had a total of 0 sacks combined this season versus Denver...
They pressured him, you know it, I know it, everyone knows it. And more important is that you and I know beyond a doubt that game swung because of those freak injuries just like when Talib got cheap shotted.

I would not doubt you, as you would see the Broncos more than I would. :) I think this is a situation that favors the rotating wheel of boom that Seattle has for defensive linemen, especially in the second half. Our spread the love way of rotating players in and out and making the right adjustments for the Avril + Bennett combo number 5 is really dialed in well at this point. I think Manning will have his hands full (or empty with the ball on the ground, if I had my way!) late in the game with our front.
My only worry is his no huddle offense our base must play big and we must get Marshawn off. And preferably with a lead. This is why Percy is so important he can tilt the field from special teams alone.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Brandon Mebane will be a household name after Sunday, me thinks. :)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":39c0rhj4 said:
One more thing...

There is a lot of hyperbole going around about the Seahawks not having their fans with them at this game (which I actually think is only about 50% true) which boils down to us not having homefield advantage. Since this is a neutral site game, neither does Denver. With that said, the Broncos do lose something they have enjoyed at home. They lose the altitude difference at Mile High, which for players not accustomed to those conditions, causes havok on their ability to keep their gas tank full later in games. Given that Denver (like Seattle) has played both of their playoff games at home, do you feel that this is advantage Seahawks, or something indifferent?

The 3 biggest homefield advantages in the NFL historically are...

1. Seattle
2. Denver
3. Kansas City

That altitude is an absolute game changer unless you're a division foe.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":do09pkey said:
CallMeADawg":do09pkey said:
One more thing...

1. Seattle
2. Denver
3. Kansas City

Does this also affect Manning's ability to get some zip on his passes or no?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":2io33xm1 said:
Brandon Mebane will be a household name after Sunday, me thinks. :)
Like our late lamented 2005 team you must find ways to put them in obvious situations so we can get the correct personell out there. It starts with clock control and us jamming the run down their throats. Then scoring touchdowns when in the redzone and Percy being Percy.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":17ds9h80 said:
MizzouHawkGal":17ds9h80 said:
CallMeADawg":17ds9h80 said:
One more thing...

1. Seattle
2. Denver
3. Kansas City

No.Altitude and wind are completely different factors, the altitude actually helps him more; often then not.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3lhz70t9 said:
CallMeADawg":3lhz70t9 said:
MizzouHawkGal":3lhz70t9 said:
CallMeADawg":3lhz70t9 said:
One more thing...

1. Seattle
2. Denver
3. Kansas City

No.Altitude and wind are completely different factors.

Higher altitude, thinner air, objects can move faster and further. I would think there is something to be said for this. The reason I asked is, I just watched the AFC Championship game and Manning was throwing ducks pretty much all game, save for a few passes that looked pretty good.

If he was not in Denver and was in the cold and wind, and threw passes like that... How would their offense get moving at all? Run the ball? Frank Gore had 13 yards against Seattle.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
So I assume you're understanding my current prediction of 34-24 isn't homerism? Peyton will score on us he's just that good but Wilson and Percy is just something Denver's defense isn't equipped to handle.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3vc17s6v said:
So I assume you're understanding my current prediction of 34-24 isn't homerism?

Not at all. I think you are giving Denver too many though. I was at 30-17.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":2oqljx3e said:
MizzouHawkGal":2oqljx3e said:
So I assume you're understanding my current prediction of 34-24 isn't homerism?

Not at all. I think you are giving Denver too many though. I was at 30-17.
He's good so I'm going with the under. I want to go with 34-20 but that takes some brass.:)

lsheldon

Reaction score
Mile High is the perfect place for Manning to play now because he doesn't have the arm strength that he once did. He will have a week in NY/NJ to practice before the game, but I bet we see some lame ducks even with the practice time he will have available there. Our secondary will be looking to cash in on those. One area I've been thinking the lower altitude might have an impact is Denver's kicking game.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":25i7ymq8 said:
MizzouHawkGal":25i7ymq8 said:
CallMeADawg":25i7ymq8 said:
MizzouHawkGal":25i7ymq8 said:
CallMeADawg said:
One more thing...

1. Seattle
2. Denver
3. Kansas City

No.Altitude and wind are completely different factors.

Lower altitude, thinner air, objects can move faster and further. I would think there is something to be said for this. The reason I asked is, I just watched the AFC Championship game and Manning was throwing ducks pretty much all game, save for a few passes that looked pretty good.

If he was not in Denver and was in the cold and wind, and threw passes like that... How would their offense get moving at all? Run the ball? Frank Gore had 13 yards against Seattle.

As a pilot I am required to step in here. Lower altitude = thicker air/ball travels less. Higher air is the opposite. Peyton will have to put more on the ball to achieve the same velocity he gets in the "rarified air" of Denver.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
As a pilot I am required to step in here. Lower altitude = thicker air/ball travels less. Higher air is the opposite. Peyton will have to put more on the ball to achieve the same velocity he gets in the "rarified air" of Denver.

I fixed my typo already. :) I meant higher altitude.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
All in all this is a BAD matchup for him. Asking his brother for hints? Eli is average at home and far better on the road.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
lsheldon":2s4uy4lg said:
Mile High is the perfect place for Manning to play now because he doesn't have the arm strength that he once did. He will have a week in NY/NJ to practice before the game, but I bet we see some lame ducks even with the practice time he will have available there. Our secondary will be looking to cash in on those. One area I've been thinking the lower altitude might have an impact is Denver's kicking game.
Correct and I already said that Now factor in Percy given he will be returning kickoffs. I wonder if we win the toss do we defer?