Desean Jackson Released

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":31np55lg said:
Uncle Si":31np55lg said:
Seahwkgal":31np55lg said:
I will never understand these stupid kids and their need to cling on to the "thug" lifestyle. Especially when they have the funds and the means to get away from it. I would guess that Jackson does not/did not have a father figure in his life. Yet, some kids do manage to do OK without that influence. I just don't get it.

really? maybe read the article?

Since joining the Eagles in 2008, Jackson -- a three-time Pro Bowl player -- has been an active member of the Philadelphia community and has been involved in several charities. He has been particularly active in campaigning against youth bullying.

Lara, his former high school coach who now is head coach at Warren High School in Downey, Calif., said Jackson has been nothing but friendly when the wide receiver has visited Poly High during NFL bye weeks. Lara added that Jackson has even been willing to bring his anti-bullying message to Warren.

"As a player, he was a great kid for me," Lara said. "I didn't have any issues. I loved his leadership. He had a chip on his shoulder and, as a coach, you like to see that in a great athlete. He had something to prove.

"I was a little worried about him after his father passed. I know his mother tried to get involved [in his life], but I haven't seen any indication [Jackson is involved with gangs] outside of him starting up his rap label. Athletes like to portray a tough image with gangsters and whatever else. Maybe he's playing into that. That's a part of him that I never really saw."

Lots of presumption here. I doubt Jackson is some saint but some seem quick to label

No one thought Aaron Hernandez was about to shoot someone execution style either.

Lots of red flags with this story. You don't just out and out cut a talent like this without many reasons to do so.

10.5 million per year reasons..

come on man, this is the NFL. there is nothing in that story that indicates he was close to trouble. To assume the Eagles cut him because of gang ties is buying into the notion that the league is deeply concerned with a number of its players.

Hernandez is an anomally. He is not the norm. Neither is OJ, or that WR for the Panthers.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2jiia2wl said:

come on man, this is the NFL. there is nothing in that story that indicates he was close to trouble. To assume the Eagles cut him because of gang ties is buying into the notion that the league is deeply concerned with a number of its players.

Hernandez is an anomally. He is not the norm. Neither is OJ, or that WR for the Panthers.

:lol:

Yeah. That explains why they cut him on March 28th. Good call. All cap related. Has nothing to do with his gang allegations. Nothing at all.

rlkats

Reaction score
Question I'm a bit new on contracts. Since he is released does that mean his contract is null and void. I mean if he wants a new team do they gave to take his current salary or will they get to talk about new contract

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
rlkats":u14o4r1o said:
Question I'm a bit new on contracts. Since he is released does that mean his contract is null and void. I mean if he wants a new team do they gave to take his current salary or will they get to talk about new contract

New contract.

Desean's statement:

"First I would like to thank the Eagles organization, the Eagles fans and the city of Philadelphia for my time in Philly. I would also like to thank coach Andy Reed for bringing me in. Secondly, I would like to address the misleading and unfounded reports that my release has anything to do with any affiliation that has been speculated surrounding the company I keep off of the field. I would like to make it very clear that I am not and never have been part of any gang. I am not a gang member and to speculate and assume that I am involved in such activity off the field is reckless and irresponsible. I work very hard on and off the field and I am a good person with good values. I am proud of the accomplishments that I have made both on and off the field. I have worked tirelessly to give back to my community and have a positive impact on those in need. It is unfortunate that I now have to defend myself and my intentions. These reports are irresponsible and just not true . I look forward to working hard for my new team. God Bless."

via Adam Schefter's FB.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":32hq8a4g said:
Uncle Si":32hq8a4g said:

:lol:

Yeah. That explains why they cut him on March 28th. Good call. All cap related. Has nothing to do with his gang allegations. Nothing at all.

did i say "nothing"?

point is there is a ton of assumptions being made about why, and the article only speculates.

maybe he was an a-hole to his teammates, or his coach. maybe they were just done.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
This dude has some explaining to do if he wants that 10.5M.

No reason for him to get cut simply because of cap space.

marko358

Reaction score
Schefter saying 4 teams already reached out to talk to Jackson's agent within 30 minutes of the news breaking.

Brahn

Reaction score
marko358":bx0n34s4 said:
Brahn":bx0n34s4 said:
marko358":bx0n34s4 said:
The Raiders seem to have a ton of cap space. Wouldn't be surprised if he wound up there.

If it really has to do with gang ties a team in cali or close to home could be a bad idea. Why put him closer to the issue?

If he can't be trusted all the way over in Philly then where can he play? That's about as far away from California as you can get in the NFL.

If you are unable to trust your child with a hand gun would you keep it in your house or half a country over at the kids Uncles house.

No reason for a franchise to put themselves at even greater risk of an off the field issue. In Philly it is hard for him to spend every night after practice with his "homies" as opposed to California where it could be greatly increase his chance of an incident.

This is all based on "reports" of gang ties. I am sure teams will take a look and possibly interview him.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
marko358":1dxtzgv0 said:
Schefter saying 4 teams already reached out to talk to Jackson's agent within 30 minutes of the news breaking.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if the Hawks dangled some low-ball bait (1/$6m or 2/ $10m) to see if he wanted to come up here and play for a contender.

Edit: $0 guaranteed. If he won't play ball he's done. Someone will overpay him I'm sure.

marko358

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3k4jmti0 said:
How much are the eagles paying him this year to play for someone else?
I thought I read somewhere that he had nothing guaranteed for this year.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jeez....I don't see him having any interest in SF with both Crabtree and Boldin there (I'd love to be wrong), but I hope to god he doesn't end up in Seattle. Harvin is fast enough...I don't want to worry about Harvin AND Jackson with Wilson throwing those raindrop bombs.

My guess is the Raiders will back up the Brinks truck.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I am actually afraid the Niners would take a run at him. He's a pure game breaker with his speed which as good as Crabtree and Boldin are, I don't see that in them.

Marvin49

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":1lu58wlh said:
I am actually afraid the Niners would take a run at him. He's a pure game breaker with his speed which as good as Crabtree and Boldin are, I don't see that in them.

From a skillset perspective, he's exactly what they need. He can stretch the field AND return kicks...two areas where they need help. The problem is that he also has huge baggage, probably comes at a high price, and most importantly I can't see DeSean himself wanting to sign in SF.

2nd or 3rd WR in a run first offense? The only way he's in SF is if he takes a big discount to sign with a winner, but there is NOTHING in his past that would suggest that. I just don't see it.

Niners will probably draft their speed receiver.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
This guy must be a complete and utter pain in the ass for the Eagles to release him like this in his prime at his level of production. That speaks volumes to me about what an enormous problem child DeSean must be. Clubhouse cancer.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":12xgadyq said:

They cut him and took the full cap hit. So cap space had nothing to do with cutting him. Which says a lot IMO.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3afgual0 said:
SouthSoundHawk":3afgual0 said:

They cut him and took the full cap hit. So cap space had nothing to do with cutting him. Which says a lot IMO.

Well the full cap hit still saves them 4.5 mil on the cap (10.5 mil salary, 6 mil left on prorated bonus) and he's off the books next year.

EDIT: Actually it saves them 6.5 mil. They were always going to have to pay 2 mil of that bonus against the cap. only 4 mil actually accelerated.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Marvin49":1b7qixcw said:
HawkRiderFan":1b7qixcw said:

From a skillset perspective, he's exactly what they need. He can stretch the field AND return kicks...two areas where they need help. The problem is that he also has huge baggage, probably comes at a high price, and most importantly I can't see DeSean himself wanting to sign in SF.

2nd or 3rd WR in a run first offense? The only way he's in SF is if he takes a big discount to sign with a winner, but there is NOTHING in his past that would suggest that. I just don't see it.

Yeah I was thinking strictly from a skill set. When I think of what the Niners could use, I held my breath when Revis and Sproles came available and was relieved to see them go elsewhere. Jackson is the third guy this off-season I feel that way about.

Marvin49

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":3konzp03 said:
Marvin49":3konzp03 said:
HawkRiderFan":3konzp03 said:

Yeah I was thinking strictly from a skill set. When I think of what the Niners could use, I held my breath when Revis and Sproles came available and was relieved to see them go elsewhere. Jackson is the third guy this off-season I feel that way about.

Revis would have been nice, but price was way too high. Sproles was never an option. They already have LaMichael James who never gets to touch the ball. No place for Sproles.