DJ Fluker Visiting G NYG

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Yeah...it's ben baldwin

A common response to the question of why teams run so frequently is that teams need to run the ball in order to maintain the effectiveness of play-action passing.

Even at the root of the article he's already drawing very over simplistic conclusions. Play action is a 3rd layer.

Runnig the football affects defenders reads. In run defense, you're stacking and shedding in a 2 gap or you are locating and trying to stay in your gap. This effects DL and LBs overall, but can also affect safeties if there is bleeding.

In pass defense your DL have a singular target that doesn't really move unless forced to.

This is where "pinning your ears back" comes into play.

So when you're scouting defenders in the front seven you see things like "slow to read" or quick or whichever. Bites on play action is another. Play action is a 3rd layer that plays on those reads, but it is not the reason why teams run the ball.

To me, this is basic internet parroting. Since 2000, some continue to say this is a passing league despite the fact that teams that run the ball well get into and go deep into the playoffs. It's just a fan preference thing. You can come up with data to fit a narrative and you can easily come to the wrong conclusion when missing a variable or two or more.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
He has strong hands, but he plays with surprisingly little power. Not very explosive. Greatest asset is his amazing length and strong grip in pass protection. Also takes good angles, uses his length well.

Since we don't know whether George Fant can play RT, Fluker would certainly be a strong upgrade over Ifedi in pass protection. Fant could learn a lot from Fluker about how to use his length.

adeltaY

Reaction score
vin.couve12":qt74ltf7 said:
Also previous Seahawks and current Jags are a good case study. You may only average 4 yards per carry or even 3.5, but if it's a big back that hits the hole hard, the defense knows that they have to take authoritative "positive steps" lest they get pushed back or embarrassed. The latter may seem silly, but I guarantee that every defender hates getting run over.

This is where "measuring effectiveness" doesn't tell the entirety of the story and the data fails you. It's a different animal than a lateral running game or running back. With a back like McCoy you're more interested in covering gaps than taking hard steps forward bracing for power. That's just one example of how the data fails in play action study.

It takes the players out of the story.

Not gonna lie, these are some of the same questions/concerns I was thinking about the analysis. I'm not sure where the truth lies, but your points, which reflect those of the general football community, make logical sense. There is a possibility that logical explanation such as that isn't the correct explanation, but I don't have the background or intelligence to discern that.

Seymour

Reaction score
Anyone have any news on this? We need oline help....like for 4 years now. I hope they make a good guard a priority. I also pray that Fant can take over RT.

Also, I came across this info.
He signed a one-year deal with the Giants in 2017 and was excellent, when healthy. Under offensive line coach Mike Solari, who is now with the Seahawks, the Giants averaged 25 more rushing yards per game when Fluker was in the lineup.

I suppose that means that now that I've warmed up to him, he is as good as gone. :?