DJ Fluker Visiting G NYG

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, one thing is a given.....no matter who they sign, plenty of people won't like it....just because :irishdrinkers:

AgentDib

Reaction score
I assume the idea here would just be to add much needed competition at the position. We currently don't have a left guard at all and Fluker has experience with Solari in NY so it makes sense if we can get him inexpensively.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":nnkxgl0c said:
You mean fans who have actually watched him play? Noice :2thumbs:

Little Ben watched him play!! :D

DPXNSGZU8AECW8q

lobohawk

Reaction score
Pretty sure at the Chargers he played Tackle and wasn't a good fit due to the ability to handle speed, as was mentioned previously.

In NY I think they had him playing Guard more. Dealing with speed rushers won't be the smae issue there. Also, if we are happy to have a new OL coach, then we need to let him evaluate the folks. At least he should have the best idea of what Fluker can do.

I'm more curious to see what he does with our existing OL players. There was obviously a bad fit for many with Cable. I doubt they can perform worse and will likely be better.

mikeak

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3mccq3jq said:
Nah, better O Line coach now, he'll be fine.

WAIT WAIT WAIT

Are we now on the "we can draft / sign anyone and make them better bandwagon"? Isn't that the mentality by our coaches that kind of ruined the last three seasons?

RCATES

Reaction score
I'm more then ok with our O-line going forward under new leadership. Brown / Pocic / Britt / Ifedi / Fant

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I hope they sign him, my opinion, but I think he'd help this O Line. It's called Free Agency, players get signed in Free Agency. Can't do everything from just the draft :?

adeltaY

Reaction score
sutz":158et0bz said:
If we truly are going back to "Pete Carroll" football, than run blocking will be emphasized over pass blocking.

The philosophy being that if you can run well, you get that extra half-step in the passing game from play action. The inability to run over the last couple of years kind of scotched that, as nobody respected our run game enough to make it happen.

Under that idea, sounds like Fluker would fit right in.

https://footballoutsiders.com/stat-anal ... on-passing

Data doesn't support the assertion that a successful running is necessary for an effective PA passing game.

I agree on signing Fluker. Giants fans seemed to like him a lot.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":7rut75cz said:
sutz":7rut75cz said:
If we truly are going back to "Pete Carroll" football, than run blocking will be emphasized over pass blocking.

The philosophy being that if you can run well, you get that extra half-step in the passing game from play action. The inability to run over the last couple of years kind of scotched that, as nobody respected our run game enough to make it happen.

Data doesn't support the assertion that a successful running is necessary for an effective PA passing game.

Not many teams in the NFL have a scrambling QB like Wilson, and judging by the horrendous run blocking by our O-Line last season, and Wilson being the #1 rusher, the Run game was BADLY BROKEN.
Wilson with a DECENT run game is a whole another threat.
I think Fluker might be a really good fit.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
adeltaY":126a53qy said:
sutz":126a53qy said:

That article is almost flat earth worthy. There's a point where data spreadsheet writers with no applicable experience are completely worthless. Most of the time, data with the right criteria is fine, absent agenda.

This is not one of those times. It's a flat earth article.

And yes, I know, I'm a jerk.

Seymour

Reaction score
There is some degree of truth in nearly everything.

In fact the earth is flat my entire trip home.

adeltaY

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1h2pp1yx said:
adeltaY":1h2pp1yx said:
sutz":1h2pp1yx said:

That article is almost flat earth worthy. There's a point where data spreadsheet writers with no applicable experience are completely worthless. Most of the time, data with the right criteria is fine, absent agenda.

Don't want to get into it here, but Pederson actually employed an analytics team with a direct line to advise him on decisions, especially on 4th down, and they won the SB this year.

I generally trust statistical analysis and try to employ healthy skepticism. Just because football guys say its true doesn't make it so.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
adeltaY":3jx3qutu said:
vin.couve12":3jx3qutu said:
adeltaY":3jx3qutu said:
sutz":3jx3qutu said:

Don't want to get into it here, but Pederson actually employed an analytics team with a direct line to advise him on decisions, especially on 4th down, and they won the SB this year.

I generally trust statistical analysis and try to employ healthy skepticism. Just because football guys say its true doesn't make it so.

There is no logical reason to run play action without an effective running game. The point is to have defenders take "negative steps" and bite for half a second.

If you run PA without that then the sole thing you are accomplishing is having your QB have his back to the field of view for roughly half of the play. You have then cut your QBs time to read the defense in half.

Your assertion about Pederson's analytics team has no specific bearing on play action ideology or effectiveness.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
AdeltaY, gotta admit that I though you linked a different article from field gulls where they concluded that play action has no effectiveness. Much of the fieldgulls stuff is flat earth worthy except for combine measurements and they even mess that up often enough.

I'll have to read this one later although I'm skeptical given the writer. Apologies, but I will say that the more effective the running game is, the more use play action has.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Also previous Seahawks and current Jags are a good case study. You may only average 4 yards per carry or even 3.5, but if it's a big back that hits the hole hard, the defense knows that they have to take authoritative "positive steps" lest they get pushed back or embarrassed. The latter may seem silly, but I guarantee that every defender hates getting run over.

This is where "measuring effectiveness" doesn't tell the entirety of the story and the data fails you. It's a different animal than a lateral running game or running back. With a back like McCoy you're more interested in covering gaps than taking hard steps forward bracing for power. That's just one example of how the data fails in play action study.

It takes the players out of the story.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Weight and conditioning have been a continual issue for Fluker throughout his career. On the one hand, I would appreciate this signing because it's an indication that Ifedi will move back to guard. On the other hand, I would be wary of Fluker's focus and motivation.

Nearly 37'' arms and a wingspan of over 7 feet. He engulfs pass rushers.