DK - just saying.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
At this point, who the hell knows what he's going to do. I don't think he's the cancer that people make him out to be.
But it's time to actually grow up. Not just talk about it.
Then again, the Geno apologist crowd LOVES to blame DK or pretty much anything else for his struggles.

One thing I do know - this thread is now almost a year old -

In my estimation.... It's gotten worse. With the latest - if Pete just ignores this latest slap back.... well - I don't know how he really can - but if he does this is the kinda thing that loses you the team..... IMO. Certainly loses alot of face. Maybe BWags steps up or Geno. Who knows?

And the season was going pretty well! AND I believe with the lastest crap that we're OFFICIALLY in T.O. territory without the production - but ALL the chirpin.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pete has always allowed players to freak out. Look at all the years of the LOB. This isn't something new. If he allows it, players will continue to do it.
He needs to grow a pair and actually sit players when they have a tantrum. He NEVER did that w/the LOB.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
One thing I do know - this thread is now almost a year old -

In my estimation.... It's gotten worse. With the latest - if Pete just ignores this latest slap back.... well - I don't know how he really can - but if he does this is the kinda thing that loses you the team..... IMO. Certainly loses alot of face. Maybe BWags steps up or Geno. Who knows?

And the season was going pretty well! AND I believe with the lastest crap that we're OFFICIALLY in T.O. territory without the production - but ALL the chirpin.

While I agree with you, if I can play Devil's Advocate maybe Pete knows best because DK is a more well rounded consistent WR now.

When's the last time he had a drop? Stupid celebration before getting into the endzone and having the ball knocked away?

He is a more consistent threat, route runner, red zone target and overall WR now. Does this mean he couldn't be that without the nonsense? Idk, I think he could. But maybe Pete thinks the nonsense is worth the production and consistency.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It feels like it's starting to move towards a lot of people deciding he's not a good player all the sudden. Same crap the people do with Adams.
He's a hell of a player, he just needs to stop doing that shit. Doesn't change how good he is.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It feels like it's starting to move towards a lot of people deciding he's not a good player all the sudden. Same crap the people do with Adams.
He's a hell of a player, he just needs to stop doing that shit. Doesn't change how good he is.

Right, but I think it's fairly apparent he's not going to stop. Maybe he's more contrite in the locker room and with Pete one on one, but DK certainly comes off defiant and even a little delusional to the press talking about it.

Fake tough cheap shotting DB's who weigh 50 lbs less than he does isn't inspiring or intimidating anyone. It's being an immature punk.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't disagree, it was ridiculous. But the "this guy sucks" narrative is hilarious. Just MY opinion, that's all.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't disagree, it was ridiculous. But the "this guy sucks" narrative is hilarious. Just MY opinion, that's all.

Nah, he doesn't suck, and I don't see a lot of that here.

DK's a very good WR. But next year when his huge cap number hits, these are the sorts of things that create momentum around trading a player who refuses to change the ways he's hurting his team.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
There's plenty of it going on. He's average, overrated, blah blah blah.
If he doesn't do a huge flip of the norm with these tantrums, I'm plenty ready for them to move on next year. But at the right price.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Nah, he doesn't suck, and I don't see a lot of that here.

DK's a very good WR. But next year when his huge cap number hits, these are the sorts of things that create momentum around trading a player who refuses to change the ways he's hurting his team.
I've never said that Metcalf sucks, either. My biggest beef is about the wide receiver position in general, that we are dedicating too much money and draft picks to it. The reason I want to trade Metcalf has less to do with is behavior, although that's certainly a factor, and more to do about getting capital to improve our offensive and defensive lines or to draft our QBOTF.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I've never said that Metcalf sucks, either. My biggest beef is about the wide receiver position in general, that we are dedicating too much money and draft picks to it. The reason I want to trade Metcalf has less to do with is behavior, although that's certainly a factor, and more to do about getting capital to improve our offensive and defensive lines or to draft our QBOTF.
I do agree with your comment -

But I think it's about as much as not getting ROI on the $ that are flowing to the position rather than NEEDING them to be freed up for use elsewhere - ?

If DK was megatroning it - I'm not sure we're even having the conversation - either $ or spankings.

Winning fixes alot and tantrums and pouting are a symptom aren't they?

Just sayin

RiverDog

Reaction score
I do agree with your comment -

But I think it's about as much as not getting ROI on the $ that are flowing to the position rather than NEEDING them to be freed up for use elsewhere - ?

If DK was megatroning it - I'm not sure we're even having the conversation - either $ or spankings.

Winning fixes alot and tantrums and pouting are a symptom aren't they?

Just sayin
At this point of the season, we don't need to free up any money. It's what it's going to do to our future, our ability to sign free agents at higher priority positions.

And yes, winning cures a lot of evils.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
At this point of the season, we don't need to free up any money. It's what it's going to do to our future, our ability to sign free agents at higher priority positions.

And yes, winning cures a lot of evils.
well, i am curious what/if anything is goin on with the trade deadline coming up -

Wheetie

Reaction score
Sure it changes how good he is. Being good means being mentally strong and mature, and holding your emotions in check so as to not hurt the team. "Good" encapsulates physical ability as well as mental fortitude. These outbursts make him less "good".

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sure it changes how good he is. Being good means being mentally strong and mature, and holding your emotions in check so as to not hurt the team. "Good" encapsulates physical ability as well as mental fortitude. These outbursts make him less "good".
Your remarks made me think of Steve Largent. I once saw an interview with Lester Hayes, an All-Pro cornerback for the Raiders and one of the most notorious trash talkers in the game. He said that he honestly thought that Largent was deaf as he called him every name in the book and was as insulting as he possibly could but never got so much of a glance from Largent....that is, until Largent burned Haynes for a 40-yard reception and after the tackle, Largent got up and was laughing at him.

Mental discipline is absolutely a quality that changes "how good" a player is. With Metcalf, it's a huge liability as every defensive back in the league knows that he is weak minded and can be goaded into committing penalties, make him angry and break his concentration, etc.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
DK Metcalf, a man built like a greek god with the athletic talents and temper to match them. There is also somewhat of a charm about his moxie and quirky style that is easy to find alluring. Alas though, all that glitters is not gold. He quickly became one of my favorite Seahawks here. The way he carried himself was somewhat reminiscent of the way LOB carried themselves back in 2013. I was expecting big things from Metcalf as a Seahawk. To a degree I wasn't wrong, but there was one thing still troubling me.

Metcalf has not improved as a player since his second season.

Metcalf is still very much so the same guy he was for us in his second season. I have not seen Metcalf evolve from a player prospective nor have I seen him take the mantle as a leader. At some point he has stopped evolving as a player. Instead of focusing on what he could do to hone his craft, when he goes into meltdown mode. Metcalf cannot control himself and these outburst are becoming more prevalent as the time goes on.

We paid Metcalf like he was a stop receiver in the NFL, but this far I wouldn't even say he's our number one. He's really easy to knock off his game and what I saw from this game is what I suspected. It would be very easy for the Seahawks to replace his production.

For all of our FO's short comings over the years, they seem to have a great knack for finding WR talent. Granted, this was just the Cardinals, but Bobo and JSN more than made up for Metcalf being out. I'm starting to wonder if it isn't a good idea just to cut bait with Metcalf and try trading him and his massive contract. At the end of the day he just hasn't been very dominant.

QWERTY

Reaction score
DK makes 26mill a year.
Tyreek Hill makes 30mill a year.

I wish Seattle was able to draft a guy like Hill.

Optimus25

Reaction score
I waste enough time in fantasy and general Seahawks watching and talk so i can’t possibly take the time to care about contract bs. But if in a business sense we can get a Jamal Adams style trade in reverse i would jump all over that.

seabowl

Reaction score
In Pete, Carroll’s offense, you only need solid quarterbacks and receivers, not superstars. With that said, unless you get a solid receiver and strong draft capital back for him, I would not trade him right now, as his stock is low versus what it was.

Reactions: Xxx

toffee

Reaction score
I like cars, so here a car analogy: DK was like that Camaro in this video with small block V8 and over 350 hps, but he ain't dominating the race and occasionally embarrassed by tiny Minis with 120 hps engine. Here a fun video to watch how David battled Goliath

Last edited: