A question about Geno's contract and Jalen Carter's arrest

bsuhawk

Reaction score
According to 710, the first year of Geno's contract has $30 million worth of incentives. If he earns all $30 million, what's the impact on the team's cap? I assume the team won't have to cut players during the season as Geno meets the incentive requirements. That would suck.

Can Jalen Carter be suspended for part of next season because of the January incident? I assume not since it occurred prior to him joining the league.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Re Geno's contract, many contracts have incentives that the League puts into one of two categories... 1) incentives likely to be achieved, which, when achieved, count against this year's salary cap... and 2) incentives not likely to be achieved, which, if achieved, count against next year's cap.

The $30M in incentives in Geno's first year sound like incentives not likely to be achieved.

And your question re Jalen Carter, I believe that he can be punished by the NFL for his conduct before he is drafted. But he has been charged with two misdemeanors, which may not result in a suspension. It's a wait and see situation.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I don't think the league will suspend him. Racing a car isn't exactly the most egregious offense in the world. According to a friend from the area this is something that goes on all the time in that area. Those of us who live near Burien get to hear the same thing in the summer. The whole thing was exacerbated by the accident and deaths as a result but it's not like they are his fault.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
I don't think the league will suspend him. Racing a car isn't exactly the most egregious offense in the world. According to a friend from the area this is something that goes on all the time in that area. Those of us who live near Burien get to hear the same thing in the summer. The whole thing was exacerbated by the accident and deaths as a result but it's not like they are his fault.
I have to think you would find him at fault if he killed your family member while engaging in an illegal activity. I don’t agree with the NFL taking action but the dude should be in jail at the time of the draft.
But I’m sure he will have plenty of people making excuses for him because he can”ball”

AgentDib

Reaction score
I have to think you would find him at fault if he killed your family member while engaging in an illegal activity. I don’t agree with the NFL taking action but the dude should be in jail at the time of the draft.
But I’m sure he will have plenty of people making excuses for him because he can”ball”
To be clear, Jalen Carter isn't alleged to have killed anybody. Street racing is highly irresponsible and there are plenty of red flags about character issues stemming from this, but the people who died were adults making their own bad decisions and not surviving them.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
treet racing is highly irresponsible and there are plenty of red flags about character issues stemming from this,

RIP I guess everyone I knew in HS are bad people with character issues and red flags. lol.

Rat

Reaction score
I dont care about the off-field stuff with Carter. If Anderson, Stroud, and Richardson are all off the board, he should be the easy pick.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I don’t think the NFL will do anything. Why should they? The kid wasn’t even part of the nfl in anyway. That’d be like the NFL suspending your kid for getting in a fight back in high school… kind of over the top of they and and I would think a big overstep on them

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
In jail? For two misdemeanor offenses? What fascist world do you live in?

sutz

Reaction score
Re Geno's contract, many contracts have incentives that the League puts into one of two categories... 1) incentives likely to be achieved, which, when achieved, count against this year's salary cap... and 2) incentives not likely to be achieved, which, if achieved, count against next year's cap.

The $30M in incentives in Geno's first year sound like incentives not likely to be achieved.

And your question re Jalen Carter, I believe that he can be punished by the NFL for his conduct before he is drafted. But he has been charged with two misdemeanors, which may not result in a suspension. It's a wait and see situation.
I suspect there is a mixture of LTBE and NLTBE incentives in the deal. We don't know the details yet.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I didn't say he was or was not. But you CAN go to jail for Misd. charges.
Let me be more clear, two misdemeanor charges for a kid fresh out of college, whom was racing his car. Not exactly useful to put him in jail for that. He'll get a fine. Expecting jail time for this is BS.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I will say one part that people are missing is that Carter was likely drunk when racing.. at least thats my understanding since the drive of the other car was quite drunk.