Does anyone else remember Dave Krieg?

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I became a fan of the Hawks during the Jim Zorn era. Dave Kreig was one of my favorite players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Mudbone would drive me absolutely nuts on gameday. The Wizard one game where he could do no wrong and the next game he looked like a buffoon out there...Fumblin' bumblin' stumblin'. But at the end of the day Krieg was a fighter. A scrappy player from a now extinct microscopic college who laid it all out there for the Seahawks which is why I love the dude and has a rightful place in the alumni.

I recall hearing the late great Pete Gross yell "Krieg to Largent...Touchdown Seahawks!!" a lot growing up.

Nothing but respect.

James in PA

Reaction score
I loved Dave Krieg, even if he was consistently inconsistent. Krieg, Largent and Curt Warner were all childhood heroes of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
James in PA":3m5d2joq said:
I loved Dave Krieg, even if he was consistently inconsistent. Krieg, Largent and Curt Warner were all childhood heroes of mine.

Don't you dare leave out John L. Williams and Jacob Green! :p

uncle fester

Reaction score
I had a poster of him on my wall. He was SO frustrating, but you couldn’t help but hold on to hope while there was a chance. He screwed it up as often as he pulled it out at the end of games. That was purely standard practice for Krieg. You just never knew which was coming next.

If he played today there would be people calling for him to be cut or traded on a weekly basis. The rage would be palpable. I think the modern comparison may be the best of Gardner Minshew and the worst of Blake Bortles in one player.

And snap back to reality ... man, Russ is a god in comparison...

xray

Reaction score
I was a full grown man when the Hawks joined the League , so yes I remember Krieg .

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
He and Zorn were both painfully average. Its a miracle Largent has the numbers that he does.

Jville

Reaction score
Undrafted Dave Krieg is an example of what Pete Carroll is referring to when Carroll and others refer to what one can accomplish thru grit.

Notable accomplishments

Ranks 6th (tied) in consecutive uninterrupted games with at least one touchdown pass: 28
Ranks 10th (tied) in consecutive games with at least one touchdown pass: 28[39]
Ranks 17th in NFL career passing touchdowns: 261[40]
Ranks 15th in NFL wins by a starting quarterback: 98
Ranks 19th in NFL career passing yards: 38,147[41]
Ranks 20th in NFL career pass attempts: 5,311[42]
Ranks 20th in NFL career completions: 3,105[43]
Holds Seahawks single season records for highest average gain (8.8 in 1983),[44] games with 4 or more touchdown passes (3 in 1985)[45] and highest percentage of touchdown passes (7.89 in 1988)
Holds Seahawks single game records for highest completion percentage (86.36 on 12/11/88 vs. Denver Broncos)[46] and highest average gain (14.52 on 12/14/86 vs. San Diego Chargers)[47]
Holds NFL record for most seasons in career having played every play at QB in a year (3)
Holds Seahawks record for most games with 400 or more yards passing (4)[48]
Holds Seahawks record for most games with 5 or more touchdown passes (3)[49]
Had two games with a perfect passer rating

[urltargetblank]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Krieg[/urltargetblank]
[urltargetblank]https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KrieDa00.htm[/urltargetblank]

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Loved Mudbone, he was fun to watch. He was pretty streaky though, not that he had a ton to work with. If he had a crap game, we would call him Krag. Dude could sling it though.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":27x97o23 said:
That game against the Chiefs in KC where he was sacked 8 or 9 times but got the game winning TD pass to Skansi. Krieg is one of the main reasons for the Seahawks finishing 12-4 in 1984 (season Curt Warner got injured in the 1st game and missed the rest of the season).
LOL, I think Krieg played Halfback in that game, well, that's what I remember.. Him spending half of his time laying on his back.
He might have been one of the most bumbling QB's I've ever seen, but I have to say, that boy had no quit in him...Still one of my favorite Seahawks :les:

bmorepunk

Reaction score
uncle fester":2nv744wk said:
I had a poster of him on my wall. He was SO frustrating, but you couldn’t help but hold on to hope while there was a chance. He screwed it up as often as he pulled it out at the end of games. That was purely standard practice for Krieg. You just never knew which was coming next.

If he played today there would be people calling for him to be cut or traded on a weekly basis. The rage would be palpable. I think the modern comparison may be the best of Gardner Minshew and the worst of Blake Bortles in one player.

The NFL is still short of quality QBs like it used to be, but at least with the rules being tilted towards offense coaches can find ways to make mediocre QBs look good.

Krieg played in an comparatively brutal era; a lot of these dudes were putting up Winston turnover numbers every year. A 60% completion rate on the season? Only two starters broke that in 1985. In 2019, only two consistent starters got less than that. The best completion percentages now push 70%, not 60%. And it was rare to be throwing less than 10 INTs and you have plenty of players now each season who don't do it on nearly twice the attempts in a lot of cases.

But even in his time, dude was a turnover machine compared to a lot of other QBs who hung around. His up games were really good and kept him starting or on rosters, but his down games were just brutal. Dude had six fumbles in a game once.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
uncle fester":2jjhy6pq said:

Dave was a good match for our team status at that time. But Russ is a better, faster, bigger more accurate arm, new age Fran Tarkenton.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TAB420":1hwt13cn said:
Biggest hands ever... :sarcasm_off:

Krieg's hands were the Russell Wilson version of "he's too short."

Every time he fumbled, we had to see graphs and charts of how small Krieg's hands were, and why that contributed to said fumbles.

kmeleon

Reaction score
Instead of it being about the oldest person in here it would be alot more interesting to see who the youngest person in here remembers him :2thumbs:

I'm 43 and I loved Dave Krieg back when I was a little kid. He wasn't always consistent, some days he'd light the place on fire....other days he'd fumble and just have some bad throws but he was our QB. I have some fond memories of the Hawks in the 80's. Not too many, but they were my team :mrgreen:

ivotuk

Reaction score
I loved Dave Krieg, and his toughness! He was the classic underdog, coming from a tiny college where I always wondered: "How did he get NFL good playing at that tiny school?"

Despite his "tiny" hands, it's because he was a natural. He was a "Natural Born Football Player."

I used to work on Alsaka's North Slope on drill rigs, and the only thing we had was AFSN (Armed Forces Satellite Network), and whatever football game they had on. But occasionally there'd be a Seahawks game and I'd have to swap my shift around in order to watch it.

So there was that, and south of the Brooks Range, AM radio. Frantically trying to manufacture an antenna that would pick up the game, then listen in frustration as some receiver (Andre Reed) that you KNEW was going to get the ball, somehow was open AGAIN!

Despite all of that, I have some cherished moments. Steve Largent's 100th Touchdown catch "I'm glad Dave's the one that threw it."

Largent clobbering Mlke Harden. going 12-4 and having an actual shot at the Superbowl. Witnessing great, somewhat unheralded players like Fredd Young, Leonard Weaver, and Paul Skansi. among others.

Then the occasional trip to Seattle, and I would try desperately to get tickets to a Seahawks game, only to have the poor timing of being there when the Raiders were in town. "Fuh-gedda-aboud-it!"

So yes, I remember Dave Krieg, and how he, and his teammates drug this team out of expansionist purgatory, and in to Contender Status as the team that Nobody Wanted to Play.

Can you imagine the frustration of the NFL's darling teams? "Oh, it's only the Seahawks. They're just here to provide us with wins." Then get their ass handed to them, again, by a bunch of no name, late round players.