Does anyone else remember Dave Krieg?

Torc

Reaction score
This will date me, but one of my earliest Seahawks memories was Zorn staying on the bench after he healed from his injury. Knox liked what he saw from Krieg and Zorn didn't start (for the Hawks) again. I was a ticked off 11 year old! :) I saw the very end of the Patera era but don't really remember it - I remember wondering "Chuck who?" when Knox arrived cuz I was new to the game. :)

Lots of Krieg memories but the two that stand out are the sack escape play in KC (which I bet had something to do with ending the stupid "in the grasp" rule) and the 80 yard bomb to Daryl Turner on the first play of the game against the Broncos. No way Ground Chuck would do something like that, right?

My other favorite moment was watching a video tape from NFL films on the best and worst plays by a QB. Krieg was in both - chasing down a fumble that kept getting kicked around, and also bouncing a ball off a lineman, catching it, then throwing a TD (I think it was to Mike Tice). He's still #18 on the TD pass list, which is impressive considering when he played and his supporting cast apart from Largent. He's also #3 on the fumbles list. Those two stats combined give a good indication of his career.

Bullmeister

Reaction score
This thread is a stealth way of getting people to shoe their age.

I first learnt aboout NFL and the Seahawks/Seattle as a young whipper snapper and have been following them ever since.

Krieg was the QB at the time and Chuck Knox as coach. I think I somehow even saw when Largent broke the record for most consecutive games with a catch (I think it may have since been broken). So many names I still remember from back then: Apart from LJ Williams, Tice, Blades, Rufus Porter etc anyone else remeber other randoms like Nesby Glasgow!

Have i shown my age?

Bull

chris98251

Reaction score
Bullmeister":10umseji said:
This thread is a stealth way of getting people to shoe their age.

I first learnt aboout NFL and the Seahawks/Seattle as a young whipper snapper and have been following them ever since.

Krieg was the QB at the time and Chuck Knox as coach. I think I somehow even saw when Largent broke the record for most consecutive games with a catch (I think it may have since been broken). So many names I still remember from back then: Apart from LJ Williams, Tice, Blades, Rufus Porter etc anyone else remeber other randoms like Nesby Glasgow!

Have i shown my age?

Bull

No remembering the Seattle Pilots shows your age.

ZLDRider

Reaction score
groundchucklives":1i0xb29b said:
....or just me??? I know I am probably the oldest guy on here, so most of you kids probably don't even remember Krieg, but he was a damn good QB who was also underrated.

Sure, I remember him. I became a fan in 1983 and soon got Season tickets.

My neighbor's father knew "Ground Chuck" and managed to get us invited onto the practice field during one of their practices.

Got to see Dave up close and personal.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Kreig was starter when I was becoming a diehard. Didn't he finish 2nd in the NFL in TD passes the year Marino set the record (so Krieg's numbers went unknown).

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Unfortunately I wasnt born until 1990 and didn't get into football until 1998 when Kitna was QB.

But I enjoy watching Dave Krieg highlights. Like Aros said, he gave it his all and had some really cool moments for this team. I wish I could've seen him play with Largent.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
groundchucklives":49fn92ew said:
....or just me??? I know I am probably the oldest guy on here, so most of you kids probably don't even remember Krieg, but he was a damn good QB who was also underrated.
There are many of us as old or older than you lol.. :irishdrinkers: to Lymon!
Mudbone was and still is underrated..I loved the guy after watching Zorn too long.

tersal

Reaction score
Curt Warner was and still is my favorite Penn State player. Thus following Curt also led me to following Krieg he competed had 32 Touchdown passes one year gosh he was good but also his bad moments were Mark Sanchez like. Another reply mentioned KC sacking him nine times however he threw the winning TD. Derek Thomas sacked him seven times and just nissed him on that game winning play.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2o9o17m3 said:
groundchucklives":2o9o17m3 said:
There are many of us as old or older than you lol.. :irishdrinkers: to Lymon!
Mudbone was and still is underrated..I loved the guy after watching Zorn too long.

To those who can't see that he would be a great QB today or wasn't back then,
You don't understand the big difference in rules protecting the QB and his WR's
in today's game.
That is what allows these wide open pass happy offenses and flashy QB stats.
So don't delude or fool yourselves.The game rules of today favor offense big time!

Hawknight

Reaction score
groundchucklives":3gbv6jpc said:

Hmmm...Krieg...sort of rings a bell. How about Don Bitterlich without Googling?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawknight":346ehel6 said:
groundchucklives":346ehel6 said:

Hmmm...Krieg...sort of rings a bell. How about Don Bitterlich without Googling?

I mean... Efron Herrera

Mick063

Reaction score
Being in the Navy for most of the eighties, I watched every Seahawk game in San Diego or LA. (Raiders in the LA Coliseum or Chargers in Jack Murphey...AFC West baby). Heck I even saw UW verse USC in the LA Coliseum (Chris Chandler verse Rodney Pete). I watched the Cowboys with Herschel Walker play against LA. I watched the Browns with Bernie Kosar play against San Diego. So it wasn't just Seahawk games I went to. Heck, I even saw Michael Jordan in his rookie year play against the Clippers (the pregame warmup/dunkfest was more entertaining than the game).

I once watched Krieg in person, in San Diego when it featured Dave Krieg verse Dan Fouts. Dan Fouts passed for 300 yards.....in the first half. San Diego had a large halftime lead. Dave Krieg, almost entirely through his passing arm, came back and won that game. It was an awesome passing display and Steve Largent was awesome as well.

Krieg overcame a lot of adversity back in the day.

The Chiefs had a guy, Derrick Thomas that set a record for most sacks in a game (I think it was 6 or 7 and it still stands to this day). Dave Krieg won that game in the end as well. Seriously, how many QB's, using the old rule set of DB's abusing receivers, can take 7 sacks and still win a game? How many can do it now with the new rules?

For the longest time, Dave Krieg was the only Seahawk QB to ever win a playoff game.

Krieg has some ridiculous number for career passing yardage. Like top ten for a long time until the passing era (rule changes) began.

I LOVED Dave Krieg. The play by play guys always qualified him with "Dave Krieg, from tiny Milton College, which no longer even exists."

evergreen

Reaction score
Didn't he have the nickname Mudbone? Of course we remember him. He knocked Jim Zorn out of the lineup. Damn we were good in '86. Got screwed that year. from 5-6 to 10-6 and beat both Broncos and Giants.

sdog1981

Reaction score
First Seahawks QB I can remember.

He is a cool guy too. A few years ago I was working retail and he came in with a phone issue, he just talked to all of us for like 2 hours telling stories and joking with us. It was really cool and made me like him even more.

Mick063

Reaction score
Dave Krieg has more NFL career passing yards than:

Boomer Esiason
Donovan McNabb
Jim Kelley
Tony Romo
Phil Simms
Steve Young
Troy Aikman
Ken Anderson
Kurt Warner
Sonny Jurgenson
Marc Brunnell
Steve McNair
Randall Cunningham
John Brodie
Roman Gabriel
Jake Plummer
Cam Newton
Rich Gannon
Len Dawson
Terry Bradshaw
Ken Stabler
Craig Morton
Joe Namath
Jim Plunkett
Joe Thiesman
Duante Culpepper
Andrew Luck
Russell Wilson
Norm Van Brocklin
Otto Graham
Bernie Kosar
Neil Lomax
Michael Vick
Danny White
Mark Rypien

And a whole slew of others that most folks here are much too young to recognize.

And....he did a majority of it before the hashmarks were moved in to give receivers more room to work. Before it was illegal for defensive lineman to slap offensive lineman across the head. Before it was "illegal contact" by defensive backs to jam receivers five yards past the line of scrimmage. Before "defenseless receiver" was a thing. Before the QB special protection rules. He did it at a time when defense had waaaaaaaay more advantage than the modern defense of today.

chris98251

Reaction score
At one time he was only behind Dan Marino in yards, as far as knocking Zorn out of the game, Zorn had a Thiesmann like injury and then came back, Dave took over, Zorn came back and played but was never the same QB, call it PTSD, he just didn't have the same Moxie and no fear attitude that made his game what it was and Knox inserted Dave, that was it for Zorn in Seattle.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Mick063":3hv54a7q said:
Dave Krieg has more NFL career passing yards than:

Boomer Esiason
Donovan McNabb
Jim Kelley
Tony Romo
Phil Simms
Steve Young
Troy Aikman
Ken Anderson
Kurt Warner
Sonny Jurgenson
Marc Brunnell
Steve McNair
Randall Cunningham
John Brodie
Roman Gabriel
Jake Plummer
Cam Newton
Rich Gannon
Len Dawson
Terry Bradshaw
Ken Stabler
Craig Morton
Joe Namath
Jim Plunkett
Joe Thiesman
Duante Culpepper
Andrew Luck
Russell Wilson
Norm Van Brocklin
Otto Graham
Bernie Kosar
Neil Lomax
Michael Vick
Danny White
Mark Rypien

And a whole slew of others that most folks here are much too young to recognize.

And....he did a majority of it before the hashmarks were moved in to give receivers more room to work. Before it was illegal for defensive lineman to slap offensive lineman across the head. Before it was "illegal contact" by defensive backs to jam receivers five yards past the line of scrimmage. Before "defenseless receiver" was a thing. Before the QB special protection rules. He did it at a time when defense had waaaaaaaay more advantage than the modern defense of today.
Amen!
Finally...A guy who remembers like me just how hard it was to be a QB in Krieg's time.
To Chris..I don't remember Zorn being that hurt..He would have lost the job anyway.
He had more than enough years to prove himself..Mudbone was needed years before :lol:

olyfan63

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2csfwd0l said:
Remember when Kreig took over for Zorn?

Yes, it was in Pittsburgh, down 21-0 at half, and Knox put in Krieg for the 2nd half.
We lost, 27-21, but Krieg made it competitie and even had a possession with a chance to take the lead, IIRC.