Does anyone think there's a chance we don't re-sign Sherm?

hoxrox

Reaction score
I could see JS drafting more tall and physical CBs that fit our system.

But being that it's a copy cat league, other teams will try to draft these types as well. 5th round diamond in the roughs will be harder to come by.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
I think the no sales tax heavily favors us for keeping him here b/c we can sign him for less but he will make the same as Revis did in NY. Also, as somebody already pointed out, he's committed to the LOB. He has made so much money already in T-Shirts and what not. I doubt he walks away. What is going to happen we Sidney Rice and Zach Miller are either being cut or taking huge pay cuts to pay for these guys. I could also see Red Bryant taking a pay cut or being cut as well to save money for those guys. I am not worried at all about the Defense. Pete knows that its the Defense that has been the back bone of this team. To keep constant success you have to keep a lot of the same guys. Having this defense, at home, is the reason why we haven't lost at home since 2011. Sherm and ET are going to sign 4-5 year deals and we will have them both for their primes. Book it

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I assume you mean no state income tax, kthebestwayw? We have a sales tax.

That does have to factor in at least a little bit, I would think.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":t2oq7e4m said:
That does have to factor in at least a little bit, I would think.

Absolutely. It's why guys like Lebron go to Miami instead of LA or NY.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Other teams aren't just trying to outbid the Seahawks' front office; they've also got to outbid the skill of Earl Thomas. Sherm spends so much time jawing about the Legion that I suspect there's no other free safety he'd rather play in front of.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":33lho6ea said:
I do think there's a big chance we don't re-sign Sherm. If he and his agent are going to be hard asses and want Revis type money, then there's no way in hell Pete and John agree to that. 16 million for a CB? That's starting QB money.

Now if he's reasonable and takes like 10-12 million? Sure, I think that can fit under the cap. But if there's one thing we've learned from how Pete and John have built the Legion of Boom, it's that the CB position can be fluid and not skip a beat. Now E.T.? That's a different story, we'll franchise Earle for the next 10 years if we have to. He IS the reason we can play defense the way we play defense.

Agreed on Earl but we are all forgetting one other person we will need to sign RW.

VegasSeahawkFan

Reaction score
I would be shocked if Sherman and Thomas weren't Seahawks for a long time. Based on how good they are and their young age, you just can't replace these two. I like Kam and Browner/Thurmond/Maxwell a lot and they are good players, but Thomas and Sherman make them alot better than they really are. We have the best corner and best safety and they have been playing in the league less than 4 years....can't let them go. Beside Wilson, I'd say our two most important players are Thomas and Sherm...

1)Wilson
2)Thomas
3)Sherm
4)Okung...

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this as well. I think that Sherman is going to command top dollar and I don't think the Seahawks will be willing to pay him. This has been happening to the Patriots for years. Doesn't make sense to blow your budget on one DB when you've been able to develop several young players at the position.

I also think it says a lot that the Seahawks drafted a FS in the first round as one of their building blocks. The fixed pieces in this secondary are Earl and Cam. The rest will have to be interchanged.

General Manager

Reaction score
Were on a Super Bowl run lets just win the damn thing this year. Who knows where we will be next year as far as record goes. They have everything lined up now .

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkFan72":87dqpmb3 said:
ET is going to get the money, Sherman will have to accept whatever is left in the budget.

Not sure about just accepting what's left over. Sherman is a very confident proud man, he's already stated he expects to be paid like one of the best DB's in the league.

Which is fair, he IS one of the best.........if not THE best DB in the league. Luckily in the NFL you can structure contracts to frontload, backload, bigger bonuses, etc to help alleviate cap space hits.

Bottom Line for me is I now fully trust Pete and John to do whatever it is they see fit for this team's future. If that involves Sherm? Awesome. If Not? That's OK too, because I know they'll find someone else.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3rk1csfb said:
Sometime next off season, Sherm will sign a deal that will get him a relatively team friendly deal in exchange for them renegotiating before that fourth year, and the tag years that could follow.

Not worried.

Are they allowed to do that? Was Sherman in before the new CBA? if they're allowed to re-negotiate early, then that could be a huge factor in keeping him around. He's making chump change now, so he just might take less overall to get more sooner.

hoxrox":3rk1csfb said:

But being that it's a copy cat league, other teams will try to draft these types as well. 5th round diamond in the roughs will be harder to come by.

Good point about system, but unlike you, i can actually see it narrowing the field. With Revis, everyone got a good look at what happens when you take "the best corner in th league" and try to fit him into your system; he's suddenly not "the best corner in the league" anymore. Hell, saw it with Nnamdi too (though age was a contributing factor with his downfall as well).

There's always the chance of a "more dollars then sense" guy like Snyder trying to swoop in and buy him so they can hammer that square peg into their round hole (that sounds dirty), but I think most teams tend to learn from other team's mistakes. That narrows the pool big time...

drdiags

Reaction score
I am sure the team will try to sign him but it depends on what his agent and he thinks his value is and whether he will be flexible in his demands. I am unsure the team and he can come to an agreement. May have to franchise him a couple of times then let him walk. That Revis contract is big factor.

formido

Reaction score
Although it's well-accepted in Seahawk fandom that Earl Thomas is the most critical defensive piece on the team, it's not universally understood that Sherman is very nearly as critical. I think most people get it, but there are some holdouts. :) Although oft-repeated, it's not actually true that just being tall is enough for our system. Sherman is something special, it just took Carroll's unconventionality to give him a chance in this league, same as Russell Wilson[1]. In the year and a half before Sherman was starting, our defensive passer rating averaged ~90 per game. As soon as Sherman began starting it dropped to ~70 and has remained there ever since. Passing defense wins championships. That's why the best corners get paid the way they do.

Winning teams keep their All-Pros. Sherman wants to be here. Seattle wants him here. The chances we don't re-sign him are small and if he's the highest paid corner, it will be nominally only and not the most expensive contract by risk.

We'll lose a lot of players. By and large, most fans understand this and I don't expect there to be nearly the wailing and gnashing of teeth that some foresee. Not unless it's one of our All-Pro caliber players. Of course, fans have their favorites, so there will always be a demographic with complaints, but that doesn't mean most of us don't understand how the salary cap works.

[1] Do you realize, Russell Wilson could have easily never happened? Anywhere. What if he went to be Cam Newton's back-up? Maybe Cam gets hurt for 3 or 4 games and Wilson has a shaky few stats like the beginning of his rookie season, maybe even worse because the team is built to enable to a tall QB? Short QBs don't get the leash that tall ones do. Does he ever get another chance to start?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
CANHawk":1pstykob said:
Scottemojo":1pstykob said:
Sometime next off season, Sherm will sign a deal that will get him a relatively team friendly deal in exchange for them renegotiating before that fourth year, and the tag years that could follow.

Not worried.

Are they allowed to do that? Was Sherman in before the new CBA? if they're allowed to re-negotiate early, then that could be a huge factor in keeping him around. He's making chump change now, so he just might take less overall to get more sooner.

hoxrox":1pstykob said:

Good point about system, but unlike you, i can actually see it narrowing the field. With Revis, everyone got a good look at what happens when you take "the best corner in th league" and try to fit him into your system; he's suddenly not "the best corner in the league" anymore. Hell, saw it with Nnamdi too (though age was a contributing factor with his downfall as well).

There's always the chance of a "more dollars then sense" guy like Snyder trying to swoop in and buy him so they can hammer that square peg into their round hole (that sounds dirty), but I think most teams tend to learn from other team's mistakes. That narrows the pool big time...

Sherm is finishing year 3 of a 4 year deal. All rookie deals can be renegotiated after the third year.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2ddsh0a1 said:
CANHawk":2ddsh0a1 said:
Scottemojo":2ddsh0a1 said:

Not worried.

hoxrox":2ddsh0a1 said:

Sherm is finishing year 3 of a 4 year deal. All rookie deals can be renegotiated after the third year.

Ah, this I did not know. Cool beans. Yeah, lock him up then. Sherm's smart enough to know that anything can happen at any time (the dreaded "I" word) so best to take the money while it's on the table, even if it's a little less than what you can get if you wait it out a year.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
I believe he will be gone. He will want big money - as he should. You only get to cash in so many times in the NFL, so you need to make them count.

Sherman is great, but a large part of his success is the system and the players surrounding him. Also, if you want to build a perennial top tier team, you do not do it by throwing huge money at the CB position. JS and PC know this.

Look at all these CB signings over the years. Look at the huge contracts....how many of them are for top teams?

http://overthecap.com/top-player-salari ... osition=CB

bigwrm

Reaction score
It's definitely a possibility. I'm not sure if contract negotiation is one of Schneider's strengths, although he was able to wait out the market last offseason and pick up Avril and Bennett on nice deals. I would really hate to lose Sherman, and his combination of size, athleticism, and intelligence would be hard to replace. Watching him outrun ET on Gore's long run last week was a good reminder for me of how fast the guy is.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Pete and John will do what's best for the team.

I'm not concerned about this franchise's future as long as those two are in control of football operations.

Latest posts