Does Russ Throw the Ball Just a Little Too High?

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Yeah, he throws high. We went over this his rookie year. And overthrowing is generally better than underthrowing or throwing behind a receiver. Less likely to be picked off because of the location of the defensive backs.

As for the high interception, he was being hit as he threw, and so the ball sailed. If he'd have had even .012 seconds longer, that would have been a big first down completion instead of a pick. It happens. In fact, it's happened a whopping seven times this year. Only Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith appear to have thrown fewer as a full-time starter in the league.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
austinslater25":2kj9661u said:
Largent80":2kj9661u said:
That ball to Willson was a rocket. Would have been very hard to hand catch it. There was no arc on that puppy, it was a lazer.

I still see Russell as ever evolving, and amazing.

I have to disagree. It went through his hands and hit him in the facemask. That was a catch a professional TE should make. Not a super easy catch but not all that difficult by NFL standards. I will look at it again though and admit I could be wrong.

When he misses it does seem to be high more often than not though. The throw to Richardson across the middle was high but it was also a tough throw to make scrambling and I think he got it.

edit: I literally added nothing to this thread, carry on. :D
It's a catch Zack would have made.

Vaclav44

Reaction score
I always equated his penchant for throwing high with his baseball background. He was never a pitcher though (I may be wrong on this) so maybe not quite. 2nd base is usually more of a 3/4 or sidearm throw and he throws the football very overhead. Thought myself right out of that one.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":36jehdlz said:
Overall, he's pretty accurate. But sometimes he seems like he makes the receivers stretch out for them when it's not necessary.

I'd like to see him hit more guys in stride, so they can maximize the YAC, and save the jump balls for corner and end zone post routes.
I was yelling at my TV in several games this Year, saying "settle down Russ, you got this".
He pushed too hard at times, and it cost him, but when he settles down, he's money.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
Moeaki caught one this week that was so high he had to commit his whole body to it and had no balance when he hit the ground afterwards. Willson wouldn't have made the catch at all, and Mo couldn't get YAC because it was so high. It does seem like Wilson has that tendency overall (perfect high throw to Richardson, though).

I trust it's something that Russell does on purpose or is working on. He's very self-aware.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":3plb9fvv said:
Moeaki caught one this week that was so high he had to commit his whole body to it and had no balance when he hit the ground afterwards. Willson wouldn't have made the catch at all, and Mo couldn't get YAC because it was so high. It does seem like Wilson has that tendency overall (perfect high throw to Richardson, though).

I trust it's something that Russell does on purpose or is working on. He's very self-aware.

Please watch this play again and you will see a common theme mentioned here... Russ was being chased heavily. I'm fine with that throw for 20+ yards every day. Those who want to complain about that? Well, I don't understand those people.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":3c5lv0pi said:

Mo couldn't make any YAC because he leaned back bracing for a hit from a defender that wasn't there...he could've caught that ball in stride and made a few extra yards

Ozzy

Reaction score
Wilson is considered one of the most accurate QB's in the league. If you think he misses a lot you need to watch more games of all the top guys. He's near the top 5 accuracy wise Imo. Rodgers is the best I've seen but RW for being in his third year is ahead of schedule. Just throwing this attachment in for Anthony! (all in good fun)
cabdaeebb50380a2c0f1bb55c7174189.jpg

Second best of all time. Probably a little more accurate than some are giving him credit for.