Doug Baldwin interview on ESPN's First Take

semiahmoo

Reaction score
RCATES":3dqx16j7 said:
Doug knows Russ is a average at best NFL QB who struggles with seeing over the Lineman and getting a proper read on the field. He's hoping as are the rest of us that the new coaching staff can make Russ better where he doesn't have to escape the pocket all the time to see the field.

EH?

As a whole Wilson is a better than average QB - and often much better than average. In certain situations he struggles.
I'll grant you the height thing is a mucher bigger (no pun intended) issue than some in here wish to acknowledge. He misses receivers sometimes and it appears he just can't see them over the line.

His speed and determination make up for that weakness IMO.

C'mon, the guys is a baller. Plays his guts out every play of every game.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Aros":1bp1w2rn said:
Baldwin is an established leader on this team. Nothing he said in that interview should be a surprise to any 12.

I completely agree 100% Aros. This is the first chance that I've had a chance to see this ... and absolutely nothing shocked me whatsoever. This is exactly what I'd expect him to say and how he would act. This is how team leaders conduct themselves.

I was listening to 710 ESPN heading into work yesterday morning ... and something Brock Huard said was very telling. He talked about being the Huskies starting QB under Jim Lambright in 1998 (Lambright got fired by the UW after the 1998 season). Brock said that he and many of those players still carry that very deeply. He said that HE feels he got Lambright fired because HE wasn't good enough as a player. So, a full 20 years later ... you can see the player mentality there right up front for you. The players will always tend to be the ones who tend to shoulder a lot of the blame ... whether that's ACTUALLY true or not. Some of that is true, yes. SOME of that is on the players (for failing to execute) ... but not ALL.
Whenever problems exist it is too easy to point ALL of the fingers either outward ... or inward. In reality though, when you see issues ... it is rarely (to almost never) all one thing. When teams fail, there are usually MANY different factors -- many different reasons.

And from the other side, I think that this why (when you're looking at evaluating the team as a whole), you have to kind of discount what the players think and believe. You have to step back and view things from 10,000 feet. Sometimes you get a better view of the entire situation. It has been clear for quite some time that Bevell and Cable have been a big part of the problem, which is why it was absolutely time for them to go. The players though? They won't tend to see that. A lot of players will tend to shoulder the entire blame.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":1gsztmns said:
Aros":1gsztmns said:
Baldwin is an established leader on this team. Nothing he said in that interview should be a surprise to any 12.

I completely agree 100% Aros. This is the first chance that I've had a chance to see this ... and absolutely nothing shocked me whatsoever. This is exactly what I'd expect him to say and how he would act. This is how team leaders conduct themselves.

I was listening to 710 ESPN heading into work yesterday morning ... and something Brock Huard said was very telling. He talked about being the Huskies starting QB under Jim Lambright in 1998 (Lambright got fired by the UW after the 1998 season). Brock said that he and many of those players still carry that very deeply. He said that HE feels he got Lambright fired because HE wasn't good enough as a player. So, a full 20 years later ... you can see the player mentality there right up front for you. The players will always tend to be the ones who tend to shoulder a lot of the blame ... whether that's ACTUALLY true or not. Some of that is true, yes. SOME of that is on the players (for failing to execute) ... but not ALL.
Whenever problems exist it is too easy to point ALL of the fingers either outward ... or inward. In reality though, when you see issues ... it is rarely (to almost never) all one thing. When teams fail, there are usually MANY different factors -- many different reasons.

And from the other side, I think that this why (when you're looking at evaluating the team as a whole), you have to kind of discount what the players think and believe. You have to step back and view things from 10,000 feet. Sometimes you get a better view of the entire situation. It has been clear for quite some time that Bevell and Cable have been a big part of the problem, which is why it was absolutely time for them to go. The players though? They won't tend to see that. A lot of players will tend to shoulder the entire blame.

All these is very true and a very big picture view, but ultimately it is about players executing.

You can (theoretically) have the greatest OC, calling the best play ever developed and if the QB misses a read, lineman jumps offsides, RB doesn’t see a cutback, or the WR drops the ball, the play becomes garbage.

In the ultimate team sport, coaches have a lot of say in the success or failure of an offense. But if the players can’t execute the only choice left is to change players or change plays the players you have can execute.

The hardest part is deciding which is necessary.