Doug Baldwin is our "Secret Superstar"

hawknation2015

Reaction score
We know that the Seahawks have made a big splash on offense this offseason, adding tight end Jimmy Graham via a trade with the New Orleans Saints. That’s huge for Seattle, particularly in the redzone, but it will be interesting to see how it impacts Baldwin, particularly in terms of output from the slot. Graham’s YPRR average of 1.87 from here was higher than Baldwin’s in 2014, and he hasn’t had a YPRR average from the slot of lower than 1.79 in each of the past three seasons.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -seahawks/

I am hoping to see Baldwin move back to his more natural flanker position in the base offense, with Graham lined up in the slot or at Split End, which would allow Baldwin a free release downfield to make more plays on the outside. Baldwin might be the biggest beneficiary of the Graham trade if it allows him to play his more natural role in the offense.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3v1qlji0 said:
We know that the Seahawks have made a big splash on offense this offseason, adding tight end Jimmy Graham via a trade with the New Orleans Saints. That’s huge for Seattle, particularly in the redzone, but it will be interesting to see how it impacts Baldwin, particularly in terms of output from the slot. Graham’s YPRR average of 1.87 from here was higher than Baldwin’s in 2014, and he hasn’t had a YPRR average from the slot of lower than 1.79 in each of the past three seasons.

I am hoping to see Baldwin move back to his more natural flanker position in the base offense, with Graham lined up in the slot or at Split End, which would allow Baldwin a free release downfield to make more plays on the outside. Baldwin might be the biggest beneficiary of the Graham trade if it allows him to play his more natural role in the offense.
Interesting. Let me see if I'm following this correctly....you put Graham inside and Baldwin just kind of freelances or you split Graham out and Baldwin is your safety blanket? If so I like it.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Baldwin doesn't line up on the LOS very often as it is. Kearse is our most adept at beating the jam and he's almost always the SE where as Baldwin is the FL off the LOS. Half the time you see a long ball to Kearse it's when a CB tries to press him. RW has said he's nearly impossible to jam and he'll just put it up there and let Kearse fight for it. Baldwin really uses his 6.56 3 cone in small spaces really well and if he's not playing FL he's playing slot.

He'll still benefit and will also continue to refine his trade, but positionally you're not going to get much more out of Baldwin.

netskier

Reaction score
Matthews put on twelve pounds making him 230 pounds, so he should be harder to jam as well.

I also expect to see Baldwin playing with Tyler Lockett in our "double quick" set.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
vin.couve12":xfiflyk3 said:
Baldwin doesn't line up on the LOS very often as it is. Kearse is our most adept at beating the jam and he's almost always the SE where as Baldwin is the FL off the LOS. Half the time you see a long ball to Kearse it's when a CB tries to press him. RW has said he's nearly impossible to jam and he'll just put it up there and let Kearse fight for it. Baldwin really uses his 6.56 3 cone in small spaces really well and if he's not playing FL he's playing slot.

He'll still benefit and will also continue to refine his trade, but positionally you're not going to get much more out of Baldwin.

Baldwin mostly lined up in the slot when he was not at Split End last year. Kearse played Split End about 21% of the time vs. 46 percent in the slot vs. 33% at flanker. Richardson played most of his snaps at flanker. I am assuming that Baldwin will play less in the slot this year now that we have Graham. Lockett will also take some of those opportunities in the slot. Graham, Matthews, and Lockette will hopefully share playing time at Split End.

netskier

Reaction score
Tyler Lockett I presume. I think I am going to start calling him Tyler to differentiate him from Ricardo Lockette. I keep making typos with those two last names.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Baldwin will drop a deuce on anyone who does not agree with this article.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Key defensive matchups will dictate much of the formation. If your opponent has good coverage and size from the LB's I think we will keep Jimmy outside and either Baldwin or Tyler in the slot. That will put our opponents best corner on Jimmy and leave Baldwin/Tyler one on one in the slot and at Flanker unless they are going to ignore our running game and Wilson's legs.

If the opponent is soft in the middle we will see Jimmy eating them alive.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
More than anything, I think Seattle just needs a good second/third option to complement Baldwin. Richardson was developing into that player, and the passing game was beginning to get healthy in the last 5-6 games.

Teams know that Baldwin is Wilson's #1 option and were focusing on him, particularly on third downs. Lockett and Graham should improve our 3rd down efficacy tremendously.

I wouldn't go so far as to categorize Baldwin as a superstar. Good player. But not even the Bobby Engram/Brian Blades caliber of talent. I do think he'll be more effective with better alternative options. But I also expect that he'll have a significantly reduced targets number as well.

McGruff

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1nprxu09 said:

"Kearse is almost impossible to jam."

Brandon Browner disagrees . . . :(

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I have to agree with that Baldwin is a hidden gem in this offense.

In 2013, opposite Tate who was more or less the pseudo #1, Baldwin had the #2 rank in DVOA amongst WRs.

I don't know what DB was ranked in 2014 but there was probably a drop off.

You add in Jimmy Graham and his ability to dominant and dictate defensive game plans... Baldwin is going to get more 1 on 1 situations where the CB isn't going to get help over the top.

If you argued the Recieving Corps was average like a C grade, I think with the addition of Graham gave it a boost to a B+. Graham's presence is going to help every other guy in the corps get great matchup opportunities: Especially the top 3 options that we had in 2014: Baldwin, Kearse, and Willson.

Im just going to say the loss of Harvin/PRich is canceled out by the addition of Lockett.

So if Matthews shows up even half as good as he was in the SB and Norwood is stronger and be a consistent contributor in his 2nd season, I think that will upgrade the WR corps to a solid A.

You add in a healthy Prich midseason that could boost it to an A+.

Graham was a huge addition and I'm excited to see what he brings to the passing game and what his presence does to the WR corps that allows a bunch of role players to stay in thier niche rather than those guys trying to do too much.

nanomoz

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":ljj7evdn said:
hawknation2015":ljj7evdn said:

Interesting. Let me see if I'm following this correctly....you put Graham inside and Baldwin just kind of freelances or you split Graham out and Baldwin is your safety blanket? If so I like it.

I wish my spouse talked to me like this.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Browner owned Kearse on that play? Browner goes BACKWARDS by a good margin. You put Browner in a Hawks uni and your expectation is that no measley WR does that to the biggest bully CB in the league. I'm sorry....well I'm not, but this is a case of hearing one media guy say something and picking up a pitch fork. Watch the play, note where Browner starts and ends up and then also note how Lockette has over a yard of clearance. I could care less about bringing up the play again. If Lockette has a chance to make it to a decent catch point for that ball he even has to cut the route MORE shallow. Browner is a non existent factor in the play and that is an accomplishment when facing Browner at the LOS.

Lockette could do without the jab step in the route, RW could get that ball lower and center mass, but the CB is just on that like flies on ish. He's knows it's coming. Many Pats said as much. The Seahawks defense isn't the only defense allowed to study.

Malcolm-Butler-intercepts-Russell-Wilson-markup.0.gif

Baldwin is playing his usual FL position of the LOS when he's out wide.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
No offense but Baldwin and superstar just doesn't go together.

swagcity21

Reaction score
netskier":wjsag74b said:
Tyler Lockett I presume. I think I am going to start calling him Tyler to differentiate him from Ricardo Lockette. I keep making typos with those two last names.

.......Or we can say the starting lockett....or better lockett. Ricardo is more of a special teamer and gunner. I like his speed but I think we got that in other WR's this year.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Browner did a good job of jamming Kearse enough for Malcom to be able to get by him. You can even see Kearse looking at the ref to get a flag.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Are we under the impression Kearse is running a route for him to look for a flag? Who would he look for a flag for (there's a direct answer to this question)? Kearse is only shoving Browner, of all CBs, 2.5 -3 yards from where he stood to give Lockette a clear 1 yard of clearance and absolutely does just that. On top of that, the WR alignment does not follow the CB alignment. Look at how they are shaded. Who's foot is inside? Of the players on that side who are actually covering and who is actually running a route, who is taking what in the football world is taking a negative step and who isn't? Hell with football even, geometry tells that part of the story....

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
So Kearse was able to push him back a bit ok, but Malcom knew the play was coming. Now if Kearse had directed him towards where Malcom was running then it might of been a better block, tell me why Kearse let go of one of his arms when the play wasn't even done yet? He knew that he was suppose to push Browner to the left side so he can block both Browner and Malcom in a sense in the same play. By pushing Browner back it gave Malcom an easier access to get to Lockette, who Malcom knew was running that play. Kearse let go one of his hands to show the ref hey i'm getting held/being pushed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7rPIg7 ... vULgp5_WFE

Look at the 0:06 mark, Kearse showing a flag sign then showing a pushing sign, so yeah I'm not crazy. Look at another angle Browner took the best angle to defend Kearse. Sure Kearse pushed him far but Browner help guided Kearse body away from Malcom. Browner is a badass on this play.

On that same video look at the 0:36 mark, look at Browner's position compared to Kearse, Kearse was headed towards to get Browner to his left side, Browner was already in an awkward position to begin with but he stood his ground from being pushed even further to the left side is what got Malcom to be in the position he was in.

Also look at Browners hands on Kearse on the 0:36 mark, hands on the back of his jersey (horse collar area) and maybe in the front by the front grill of Keare's helmet