Doug Baldwin is this team's 2nd best all time WR

sutz

Reaction score
Rickomatic":z2pi6jdk said:
Zebulon Dak":z2pi6jdk said:
All respect to Daryl Turner, Sam McCollum, Paul Skansi, Brian Blades, Tommy Kane, Mike Pritchard, Joey Galloway, Darrell Jackson, Koren Robinson, Bobby Engran, Golden Tate and the rest of the good WRs we've had over the years, I would take DB over every one of them.

That's all. Respect to DB for being all and more we could have ever asked of him.

Do you even Largent bro?
I'm pretty sure that Steve Largent is the presumed #1 to Baldwin's #2. This is a Seahawks board. ;)

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
I began to read this thread from the beginning and thought a few of the departed had returned before I realized it was an old thread.

But yes, I agree with you. 2nd best.

Rat

Reaction score
Galloway is the reason I'm a Seahawks fan today (I was a Dolphins fan as a kid), so if it wasn't for him, you'd all be missing out on one of your all-time best posters. That alone should get him to at least #2, maybe even #1, since I wasn't around in the Largent years.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
It's Largent, Baldwin, Blades and Engram in my books. Galloway was essentially unmet potential. Too many drops, dogging routes, poor practice habits.

WR have two major jobs: Get open and catch the damn ball. Galloway for all his speed was not particularly great at either until long after he left the Hawks. The top 4 I've listed were exceptional at those things especially in clutch time.

And for a one year rental, Joe Jurevicious was one of our best receivers.

OP
OP
Z

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Rickomatic":3mn4ddtp said:
Zebulon Dak":3mn4ddtp said:
All respect to Daryl Turner, Sam McCollum, Paul Skansi, Brian Blades, Tommy Kane, Mike Pritchard, Joey Galloway, Darrell Jackson, Koren Robinson, Bobby Engran, Golden Tate and the rest of the good WRs we've had over the years, I would take DB over every one of them.

That's all. Respect to DB for being all and more we could have ever asked of him.

Do you even Largent bro?

Who?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not even a question for me, It's Largent then Baldwin.

I just wish Doug had another 6-7 years in the league to make us debate him vs. Largent............because I think it would have been a very legitimate debate.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Largent and Baldwin, period. Some good ones at #3 and on, but the first two are above debate in my book.

sutz

Reaction score
Aros":nyuf7u71 said:
Largent and Baldwin, period. Some good ones at #3 and on, but the first two are above debate in my book.
:ditto: Yeah, what he said. :2thumbs:

JPC4Days

Reaction score
Ahh it's Mr Steve Largent and then Mr. Dough Baldwin.. and it's not close.

Numbers are nice but you have to consider coaching style and offensive philosophy ... but like Doug said many times when he was mic'd up .. "I am literally open ever play"

Analytic people seem to think clutch does not exist .. which I really can't understand.

Simply put Doug was so clutch and it is not like with the way our coach likes to keep it close .. he did not have the opportunity for clutch moments .. is there a stat for clutch moments cuz .. I don't remember Doug not ever coming through.. I could be forgetting something but he was money.

then the whole angry Doug Baldwin thing during this franchises .. run up to there first championship.. when they called our WR pedestrians .. and he stood up to the National commentators ...

He helped give our offense an identity and complete the circle of toughness as Pete likes to say.

Is there a stat for Swag?
Is there a stat for Clutch?

As a fan ... that follows the team over players .. there are certain times .. when a player .. comes through so many times over the years ... when the chips are down .. that you just are not going to get me to budge ... Doug has earned my respect ... like few do .. he is Iconic .. he will be a no doubt ring of honor guy.

I am sorry those other players you all mentioned were nice players ... but they did not have the it factor that Doug had ... and I watched them all play.

Largent and Doug are on a different level.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I mean C'mon Brian Blades was catching passes from Rick Mirer and John Friesz. The dude deserves a ton of respect for what he accomplished on some incredibly pathetic offensive teams.

"Not Up for Debate!" "Not even Close!"

BS. There is a debate and it is close.

mrt144

Reaction score
CPHawk":bci0r87c said:
How the hell did Koren Robinson even get on that list? Unless it was a list for dropped passes.

There haven't been that many great WRs in Seattle I guess?

sutz

Reaction score
One thing to remember is that both played on similar offenses...basically a run heavy play action offense. Largent spent many of his most productive seasons playing for Ground Chuck. Pete's offense is basically a throwback offense that relies on having a good running game to set up play action that results in more down field throws.

Contrary to what people seem to think, Pete does not run a "run-first" offense. He actually throws a lot in the first half, and will even throw on first down. He actually prefers to run more in the 2nd half to burn the clock. Semantics? Sure, but those times when we were so run heavy lately were more because we couldn't throw well, not because we somehow didn't want to. And as far as "letting Russ cut loose" earlier in games, why? When we're winning games, why change the system just to bolster fans fantasy football stats. ;)

Late add. Sorry to get off topic. Was trying to add to the Largent/Baldwin comparison. :twisted:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3u4gexau said:
I mean C'mon Brian Blades was catching passes from Rick Mirer and John Friesz. The dude deserves a ton of respect for what he accomplished on some incredibly pathetic offensive teams.

For the record old friend, Blades is my #3.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1x6l14nw said:

When I say it's not close ... I mean it's not close for me.. like debate it all you want... and it's cool that some people remember those times ... because I like people that had to go through that agony ... being able to enjoy our current team.. they did not hop on like so many when it got good .. they have been there when the chips were down... so I tip my cap to you sir.

I am sorry that Brian had to work for the owner that shall not be named and those were some dark years but it is what it is ... simply put Doug because he had the opportunity yes .. but he came through with the opportunity he was given.

It is also easy to say that Brian Blades would have come through in all the clutch moments .. but you actually have to do it.. true it is not his fault that he rarely got the opportunity but it also Krieg when he wasn't fumbling could be very accurate and even though Moon was older .. when he came here .. Warren could still spin it so it wasn't just ... Rick Mirer.

anyway cheers to you sir . it's just not close for me .. or a debate in my eyes ... but go for it and more importantly go Hawks.

Also one more thing I am team over player .. all the time .. but when at player .. consistently .. shows out and leads to the success that my team has .. you just are not going to get me to budge .. Doug has earned my respect with out a doubt through his play on the football field... just over and beyond what Brian Blades ever did.

That may not be fair because of his lack of opportunity ... but .. it is what it is ..

toffee

Reaction score
Baldwin was good from day 1, and remain great til the end. He was never the most physically gifted, but he was always perfect on the field and especially when it counted the most. And as we all know, always the angriest :)

I like to name our receiving Corp the “Angry Bunch”, hoping Doug’s approach to game will rub off on present and future WRs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk