$1.05 million dollars in fines for not wearing masks.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Like many here, I don't believe that with all the testing going on, the head coaches masking or not is that big of a deal as far as the actual virus is concerned, but like everything else in the NFL, it's all about following the rules set forth by the NFL, and this, as in every other rule that is arbitrarily put forth by the NFL, needs to be followed. They were given fair warning last week, and they all knew what was coming. Maybe they thought the fine would be negligible, maybe they just get in the heat of the game and forget. It's hard to know and I'm sure there are different reasons for each coach. It wouldn't surprise me though, if Pete had a guy on the sideline who's job it is now to remind him about his mask all game long.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
kidhawk":1iqvzvyq said:
Like many here, I don't believe that with all the testing going on, the head coaches masking or not is that big of a deal as far as the actual virus is concerned, but like everything else in the NFL, it's all about following the rules set forth by the NFL, and this, as in every other rule that is arbitrarily put forth by the NFL, needs to be followed. They were given fair warning last week, and they all knew what was coming. Maybe they thought the fine would be negligible, maybe they just get in the heat of the game and forget. It's hard to know and I'm sure there are different reasons for each coach. It wouldn't surprise me though, if Pete had a guy on the sideline who's job it is now to remind him about his mask all game long.

The fine probably ticks me off more than it does Pete. Pete probably could care less. Drop in the bucket.

I just don't like the NFL sending "messages" to viewers through ridiculous policies and that's all this is.

I want sports to just be sports. Hope we can get back to that someday

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Hawkpower":30yficn2 said:
I want sports to just be sports. Hope we can get back to that someday

Wouldn't that be nice, seems like everything but now. And we're not alone in this feeling, TV ratings reflect it as well.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":zxppkqse said:
It wouldn't surprise me though, if Pete had a guy on the sideline who's job it is now to remind him about his mask all game long.

Guest at a dinner party: "Oh hi, my name is Mary, what do you do for a living?"

Me: "Mask reminder guy."

OP
OP
KitsapGuy

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Got busted on MNF too.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1308517297917747200[/tweet]

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
As far as the fines go Pete had his mask on some of the time, some of the time he didn't same with 90 percent of the coaches in the NFL.

So these fine were a message they wanted to convey to the coaches wear the mask or else. I agree with it they have to set a good example.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
The NFL thinks I give two shits whether they make their coaches wear masks? Wrong again.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
EVERYONE, KEEP POLITICS OUT OF THIS DISCUSSION. WE HAVE A SEPARATE POLITICS FORUM FOR THIS.
If this keeps up we will edit/delete posts, lock threads, hand out warnings, and give out unpaid vacations.

Take all political talk to the politics forum, thank you.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
So vague conspiracy theories are OK, but my post gets edited for calling it out?

I see how the mods are. Truth don't matter, only 'winning'.

Sux to this.

OP
OP
KitsapGuy

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
So now the Seahawks post this. :34853_doh:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BIrvin_WVU11/status/1315544053782642688[/tweet]

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Given what we know from even our local DPHs, the virus does a lot of its spreading in gatherings of people we know and are comfortable with.

Given what we know from the WH cluster and the Titans, even assiduous testing isn't enough, you need to mask and distance at every point where it's possible.

Everyone's tired of the virus restrictions but following them minimizes the chance of more mass-scale disruptions leaguewide that could dramatically change schedules and standings if there's a season at all.

We're 5-0, but even if not, I would still want there to be a season.

balakoth

Reaction score
Hopefully you all wear masks during flu season too oh... wait

Hawkpower

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2p6l9yal said:
Given what we know from even our local DPHs, the virus does a lot of its spreading in gatherings of people we know and are comfortable with.

Given what we know from the WH cluster and the Titans, even assiduous testing isn't enough, you need to mask and distance at every point where it's possible.

Everyone's tired of the virus restrictions but following them minimizes the chance of more mass-scale disruptions leaguewide that could dramatically change schedules and standings if there's a season at all.

If there's a season at all??

Ummm...aren't we in week 6 now?

If we are going to continue to cancel/change games for every case, then the NFL is handling it just fine. I think we all knew that since the NFL made that decision, there would have to be some schedule flexibility. All in all how can you not be pleased with how it's played out?

samwize77

Reaction score
Do the coaches go through the same safety protocols as the players????...if so...then making them wear a mask is completely silly. Just my thoughts

Sealake80

Reaction score
Pete who is a mature and fully grown man can make his own decisions. Pete should sue. We all should. NFL is a joke. Your employers most likely are too! Mask up!

The subject of this thread IS highly political. Period. So stick it where it belongs. Seriously. Stick it where it belongs.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":ysdhqsf7 said:
SantaClaraHawk":ysdhqsf7 said:

If there's a season at all??

Ummm...aren't we in week 6 now?

If we are going to continue to cancel/change games for every case, then the NFL is handling it just fine. I think we all knew that since the NFL made that decision, there would have to be some schedule flexibility. All in all how can you not be pleased with how it's played out?

Well, we're going into our bye as are other teams. With every week, the number of natural bye weeks decreases, thus making the scheduling more complicated. Heard on news that six games had to be rescheduled for the Pats to play.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Sealake80":3hlt8bma said:
Pete who is a mature and fully grown man can make his own decisions. Pete should sue. We all should. NFL is a joke. Your employers most likely are too! Mask up!

The subject of this thread IS highly political. Period. So stick it where it belongs. Seriously. Stick it where it belongs.
Actually it's not political. Viruses don't do politics. They are simply contagious.

The NFL has already had to reschedule several games in order to cope with teams with Covid cases, and the season is teetering on a knife edge as to whether or not it will make it through to the Super Bowl, or be cancelled before we get that far.

If the NFL mandated full haz mat suits and drive players around in hermetically-sealed buses in order to keep the season alive, that's their prerogative, because their one and only goal is to protect the season to at least get the television revenue and keep the product on the air. And the players would go along with it, opt out as they can for this season, or be fined for violating league rules - even temporary league rules.

The NFL is doing the best they can to protect players from infection, and wearing masks is a known effective measure to contain the spread. Not to stop the wearer from getting the virus, but to stop them from passing it on, so that the NFL don't have to reschedule games and potentially lose the season.

For anyone under movement restrictions due to lockdown, or unemployed, this kind of entertainment can be necessary to maintaining mental health. It's cathartic, and it takes the mind off of problems for a few hours.

The NFL athletes are in great physical condition so they should be resilient to the virus, but the opposite is true for their performance. They USE all of that lung capacity to get the oxygen they need to perform. AS Von Miller said, "Taking 17 days off and then trying to get back into it, I really feel it. I still feel my lungs trying to get back in shape. It’s just all the wear and tear that it puts on your lungs." For some, that wear-and-tear is permanent lung damage. Do we want to take the risk of Lockett or Metcalf or Carson or Wilson being out for 17 days, and having a slow comeback hindered by permanent lung damage? They might never be the same.

Nothing at all about that is political. It's entirely about the product and being able to deliver a full season so that the Seahawks can win the Super Bowl again, which we won't do if Wilson is hooked up to a ventilator.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Good post Kiwi, and to that I have to say, well we're 5-0.

After the bye we have Arizona twice, the Bills, the Rams and SF through 11/19. That's actually the toughest part of it and it's very possible we could be leading the west on 11/19. And from the 30th on we're playing mostly cake NFC Least and EC teams.

We could win it all or go pretty deep esp as we haven't had that cake stretch yet.

Masking after games is a small price to preserve that versus the league having to shut down the whole thing early, or make it only about the first 10 or first 12 thus denying us the option of said cake. It's not like testing is itself foolproof protective as we've now seen. It's just dumb not to follow these protocols designed to catch what testing can't.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":labzyd3h said:
Good post Kiwi, and to that I have to say, well we're 5-0.

After the bye we have Arizona twice, the Bills, the Rams and SF through 11/19. That's actually the toughest part of it and it's very possible we could be leading the west on 11/19. And from the 30th on we're playing mostly cake NFC Least and EC teams.

We could win it all or go pretty deep esp as we haven't had that cake stretch yet.

Masking after games is a small price to preserve that versus the league having to shut down the whole thing early, or make it only about the first 10 or first 12 thus denying us the option of said cake. It's not like testing is itself foolproof protective as we've now seen. It's just dumb not to follow these protocols designed to catch what testing can't.
I was actually looking at our schedule and I think that aside from the Bills and our division, there's not much to be scared about of the remainder of our schedule.

I'm not discounting our divisional games, or the fact that the divisional games plus the Bills equals 7 potentially tough games which is nearly half a schedule. It's just that for the remainder of the games to really matter, we have to win those division games.

If we do, then the Bills will be the only real obstacle left, and that's an AFC team so they don't count for tie-breakers at conference or division level. So even if we lose to the Bills, it's not as bad as, say, losing to Dallas or LA Rams.

We have a very good opportunity to get HFA this year, possibly even #1 seed.