Down to six draft picks

nanomoz

Reaction score
How often do teams trade into the last spot in the first?

It seems like teams that want somebody that fell usuallt try to get to the mid 20's.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
nanomoz":2du9f2wm said:
How often do teams trade into the last spot in the first?

It seems like teams that want somebody that fell usuallt try to get to the mid 20's.
I understand what you're talking about in terms of teams trading up in the first round to get what they think is an elite prospect that slid out of the top 10 or 15. But, the end of the first round picks... it's more like getting ahead of the top of the 2nd round murderers row of teams getting prospects that might have been projected on a teams' board in the first.

The draft is a fluid thing. Go with this for a second: If Houston doesn't take a QB in the first (whether with that first pick or trading down a few spots), they may be looking at the top of the second. If a team is enamored with... say an A.J. McCarron... or if Derek Carr or Teddy Bridgewater happen to slide and are still available - it would be a strategic move to get ahead of Houston to ensure getting their guy.

There are QB needy teams that may not take one with their current 1st round picks. So, this is a great year to be sitting at that 32 spot. It's nothing necessarily attractive about it being the last spot of the 1st round. It's just the lineup of teams that probably WONT be trading their picks at the top of the 2nd round in order to reap the benefits of this deep talent pool of players - that might very well be 1st round talent into the top of the 2nd. That's arguably the case often, but perhaps more so this draft.

QB isn't the only position, either. That was merely just one example of how it could happen regardless of how often (or not) teams trade into the last spot. But, it's a rather important position on a football team and there is interest in perhaps a "2nd Tier" of intriguing QB's (McCarron, Mettenberger, Savage, etc.)

Quite simply, there are several factors that would lead to such a trade and it's not difficult to imagine. It's the game of get ahead of the other team if you want your guy.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
What is of interest here is that although the team only has 6 picks at present the likelihood of any of the late picks making the team is low as there is already a lot of talented depth on the roster.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
All I know for sure is that the kids we red-shirted or IR'd last year (Scruggs, Hill, Williams, and Mayowa) had better step up. If that works out, then I will be at peace, but with only 6 picks and some clear losses at a few positions (RT and DE in particular) I don't mind saying I'm nervous. If we actually managed to trade #32 then I'd be pretty tickled....and relieved.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I would rather we trade the whole shooting match to go get Jake Mathews than use pics on traing camp fodder. Our biggest needs are a starter at RT and a possible future LT and this kid has been both for a mobile QB.

McGruff

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1w0hxa63 said:
I would rather we trade the whole shooting match to go get Jake Mathews than use pics on traing camp fodder. Our biggest needs are a starter at RT and a possible future LT and this kid has been both for a mobile QB.

And if Jake Matthews busts?

We also need depth players (not camp fodder, and Hawk's fan of all people should never use that word) at almost every position, as well as developmental players for the future at LB, DE, CB, OL, and WR. If you look at the successful teams in the nFL (including us) quantity in the draft always trumps "potential" quality.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
and Normally I'd agree but Mathews is as close to a sure thing to fit our specific needs as we may ever see. With him on the right and Okung on the left it won't matter who we have running routes. Wilson with all the time in the world would be impossible to stop. And when Okung needs to be replaced Mathews can slide over to left.
You should watch Mathews film protecting Johnny football if you haven't yet. He is the perfect OT for a mobile QB.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1iv30h0c said:
and Normally I'd agree but Mathews is as close to a sure thing to fit our specific needs as we may ever see. With him on the right and Okung on the left it won't matter who we have running routes. Wilson with all the time in the world would be impossible to stop. And when Okung needs to be replaced Mathews can slide over to left.
You should watch Mathews film protecting Johnny football if you haven't yet. He is the perfect OT for a mobile QB.

It will never happen. Even if Matthews was a "sure thing" and sure not to get injured, you can't put all your eggs in one basket when you have other needs to fill at LB, WR, DE, etc.

The coaches like Michael Bowie. He played better than just about any linemen on the roster last season, particularly in the running game. I agree that OT is a major need, but it's more of a need for depth and competition.

If you can believe it, Joel Bitonio and Laurent Duvernay-Tardif are even better athletes than Matthews, and they should be available at Nos. 32 and 64, respectively.

McGruff

Reaction score
Aaron Curry was a "sure thing." Chris Spencer was a "sure thing."

"Sure things" don't really exist. Every pick is a lottery. Increasing the number of tickets purchased increases your chances of winning.