Drew Nowak

Willyeye

Reaction score
I know I've mentioned this before, and someone will probably make a joke about it :) , but I think making a trade with the Vikings for 2015 Center Sparq beast Nick Easton would answer all of our problems at Center.

Last year, the Seahawks picked Kristjan Sokoli in the 6th round. He was said to be our future Center, even though Sokoli had never even played O-Line. Kristjan Sokoli was the #1 Sparq O-Line guy...in fact, he had the highest Sparq score ever.

Just behind Sokoli at #2 Sparq for O-Linemen in 2015 was Center Nick Easton. Easton went undrafted last year after playing Center at Harvard University. He was picked up as a UDFA by the Ravens after last years draft. In the 2015 preseason at Center, Easton had the highest PFF grade of any player on the Ravens team. His preseason grade of +9.1 was the highest of any Center in the preseason, and it was the 7th-best grade of all players in the preseason. The Ravens then proceeded to trade Easton to the 49ers for a 2016 7th round pick. The 49ers then traded Easton and a 2016 6th round pick to the Vikings in exchange for LB Gerald Hodges.

The Vikings acquired Easton to be a backup Center. The Vikings starting Center, John Sullivan, needed back surgery in October 2015 and he was placed on the IR. Backup Center, Joe Berger, replaced Sullivan, and that's when they got Easton as backup for Berger. It turned out, Berger received all kinds of accolades for a breakout year. Easton never ended up playing last year.

So anyway, Sullivan will be back as starter for the Vikes in 2016, and Berger will once again be his backup. This leaves the Vikes with an extra Center. I think it would be an awesome idea to work out a trade for Nick Easton. The Hawks could likely get him for very little value...maybe a 6th or 7th round pick. Whatever the Vikes want, I'd give it to them. If the Hawks could put this together before the draft, it could save them a 1st or 2nd round pick, and they could use maybe a late round pick and have Lewis, Easton and maybe a mid-round draft pick like Graham Glasgow compete for Center in TC.

Easton is a Sparq BEAST. His NFL percentile was at 97.3%. To compare to 2016, Connor McGovern is #1 O-Line Sparq at an NFL percentile of 89.6%...Ryan Kelly is #12 at 55.4%. I think Easton would be a HUGE upgrade over any Center in this year's draft, and he could end up being the Hawks starting Center for years to come.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I like a lot of the guards at center as well (Westerman, McGovern) and in my view Sokoli and Nowak demonstrate that this FO does not consider prior center experience a necessity. I'm also not writing off the mid and late round competition when our current guys are UDFAs. Kelly and Martin make up a pretty small percentage of my 60% estimate.

Latest posts