Eagles Riley Cooper being racist

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
28898466.jpg

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
loafoftatupu":2a9qbbpd said:
Cooper might be a stupid drunk, but he isn't a flipping racist. I bet every locker room in the NFL has players saying that word x300 daily.

ANY asswipe who uses that word should be fined if Cooper is getting fined. The guy came out and gave a genuine apology, feels genuine remorse and more than likely has established strong friendships with black people that aren't going to end because he made a mistake.

Unfortunately the media will seal his fate and there are groups who will feed off this, amplifying it into something totally false.

The guy was a drunk idiot, not a bigot. His punishment will be undeserving and catastrophic.

I'm really trying to agree with you. I want this to be the case. But there's a part of me that thinks that when you have a conflict with somebody and things get emotional and you use a racial slur, then there's a part of you that thinks of that person as that racial slur. You're minimizing that person to your perceived stereotypes of his ethnic background. And that makes you racist. I can't really see it any other way and I'm honestly trying (despite what Roland posts in response to this).

hawker84

Reaction score
If those words come out of your mouth when you're drunk, those feelings are there hidden inside you when you are sober.

you can't hide what you are, it'll eventually shine through at any given circumstance.. Good luck with your teammates bro...

mikeak

Reaction score
^ The two posts above - I agree 100%

With that said Mr Cooper is a wide receiver. Wide Receivers gets paid to catch the ball then take a hit and hold on to the ball. 80% of the players in this league are african-americans. 80% of the players that will deliver the hit were offended by his comment...... you do the math

I have a feeling that he will pay a prize on the field that will hurt more than the fine the team gave him.

To me a player is a management representative of their corporation. He failed and should be punished appropriately to the damage done to his company. His company is the Eagles and they are the ones that needs to decide this. I don't think he should loose his livelihood but a fine and or suspension for 1-2 games would be fine in my book. It isn't about free speech as much as the consequences of using your free speech incorrectly.

With that said I hope he is smart enough to go to every single player in that locker room and apologize. As honest and apologetic as he sounded I think that would carry a lot more weight. Then after practice tonight go downtown to a community center or similiar that have a significantly higher percentage of african american inner city kids and spend the rest of the day there. Apologize, talk about you and how you got to where you came from and how you regret what you did.

You are a public figure - act like it and do it on your own and let the media pick up on what you are doing and the 52 guys in the locker room will forgive you and that is all that will matter as the season comes to an end and you are hoping for a new contract.........

pehawk

Reaction score
Racial slurs fly when a fight breaks, period. Think about it; you want to smash a dudes face with your fist, but a "word's" too much?

amill87

Reaction score
I was just listening to 710 and had to check out the video.

I gotta say, the media is going to blow this up. Brock and Danny were saying it was "the worst use of racism they ever heard". Come on.

If Desean Jackson said this, it wouldn't be all over the media. Racism exists because we allow stupid stuff like this to be considered racism. The dude wanted to degrade the guy he was pissed at. So he used a word to do just that. What if he used a gay or asian slur? It's just a word people, unless Cooper starts wearing a kkk t-shirt, I'll continue to believe he was a pissed off drunk

*edit to add* How many people who are up in arms over this don't care about the Redskins team name? If the NFL is going to make a big deal out of this, they need to change the Redskins name.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
So I was listening to Coach and Company on ESPN radio. My first mistake.

The host says if Riley had ended his racial slur with an a or a z, it would be no big deal. But he ended it with an r, so it is racism.

For realzr.

And agreed on the Redskins. Can't be pissed about Riley an no prob with Schneider, ol Roger.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
drdiags":22b775qo said:
Looking at this follow-up by deadspin

Riley was going xxxxxx nuts because he wasn't allowed backstage. He didn't have passes like some of the other players and was SO pissed that the stadium people wouldn't let him back just because he was Riley Cooper.

He had had been drinking since 11 AM (Kenny didn't go on until 8.

Maybe the N-word was just anybody preventing him from hanging with his boy Chesney?

http://deadspin.com/riley-cooper-was-pissed-he-couldnt-go-backstage-at-ken-981432082

The great divide.

I think you hit the nail on the head here Doc. A lot of people use the n-word as a derogatory thing to say to anyone(regardless of race) when they are angry. I am sure it has nothing to do with race. He was pissed at "whoever" there. Oh, and DRUNK.

Osprey

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1ytgqtrn said:
loafoftatupu":1ytgqtrn said:
Cooper might be a stupid drunk, but he isn't a flipping racist. I bet every locker room in the NFL has players saying that word x300 daily.

ANY asswipe who uses that word should be fined if Cooper is getting fined. The guy came out and gave a genuine apology, feels genuine remorse and more than likely has established strong friendships with black people that aren't going to end because he made a mistake.

Unfortunately the media will seal his fate and there are groups who will feed off this, amplifying it into something totally false.

The guy was a drunk idiot, not a bigot. His punishment will be undeserving and catastrophic.

I'm really trying to agree with you. I want this to be the case. But there's a part of me that thinks that when you have a conflict with somebody and things get emotional and you use a racial slur, then there's a part of you that thinks of that person as that racial slur. You're minimizing that person to your perceived stereotypes of his ethnic background. And that makes you racist. I can't really see it any other way and I'm honestly trying (despite what Roland posts in response to this).

So if you've ever called a woman a bitch, etc you are by definition a sexist bigot?

I'm in the spectrum camp myself. We are genetically hardwired to note differences of all kinds and that will always have an influence on our actions and decisions. The variable is how much of an influence, which will fluctuate with cultural standards and self determination.

pehawk

Reaction score
I just yelled the N word in my daughters preschool. I think its okay because none of the kids are black (or hot, really).

I've taught my daughter to yell it at the morbidly obese, only.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Hey, in my crowd, which is mostly white, the n-word(with an r) is slung back and forth amongst each other when somebody says something ignorant and stupid. Or, if somebody is pis.sed off at someone else for the same reason. I was brought up that it is a word to express just that. Now calling someone that word based purely on the color of their skin was always a big no-no. IOW, doing so in turn would make yourself a n-word. Or so to speak.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Osprey":2v944mvy said:
Zebulon Dak":2v944mvy said:
loafoftatupu":2v944mvy said:

So if you've ever called a woman a bitch, etc you are by definition a sexist bigot?
Hey the B-word never really pis.sed me off...Now, the c-word on the other hand.......

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Osprey":2tmxksa3 said:
Zebulon Dak":2tmxksa3 said:
loafoftatupu":2tmxksa3 said:

We've been thoroughly desensitized to that one so it's way less of a big deal to most people, but yeah... it's sexist.

Look, I'm not saying using a racial slur in the manner that Cooper did makes you a KKK member or anything, he doesn't deserve to be hanged or lynched over it, but it's racist.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
What kind of annoyed me was NFL network saying he used "the worst racial slur of them all." Really? We are putting weight on different racial slurs instead of classifying them as all the same. What if he said, "Chinks", "gooks", "beaners", "********", etc. What about "faggot"? If you're going to get upset over one racial slur, get upset over them all. And the continual use of Redskins is a good point. Not every Native I've talked to is offended by it, but it is still very much a racial slur to a lot.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2h1ohrpk said:
Osprey":2h1ohrpk said:
Zebulon Dak":2h1ohrpk said:
loafoftatupu said:

We've been thoroughly desensitized to that one so it's way less of a big deal to most people, but yeah... it's sexist.

Look, I'm not saying using a racial slur in the manner that Cooper did makes you a KKK member or anything, he doesn't deserve to be hanged or lynched over it, but it's racist.
I think it's more ignorant than racist. Repeated actions and use of such words towards a specific group would make you racist, imho.

Lithium

Reaction score
So they took money from this man for saying a word that is used in every locker room just because he's white. F'ing ridiculous. So basically they say he doesnt have the right to say a word because the color of his skin, who's really being racist?

I'm not condoning it, but all he should have to say is "I made a mistake, I'm sorry" and that should be the end of it.