Earl skips practice for unknown reason

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Cyrus12":rrqcvobu said:
hawknation2018":rrqcvobu said:
chris98251":rrqcvobu said:
This is pretty anti team.

Earl Thomas on missing practice: "I need to make sure my body is 100. I'm investing in myself. If they were investing in me, I would be out there practicing. But I feel like if any thing, I don't give a damn if it's small, I got a headache, I'm not practicing."

Like Marshawn Lynch before him ...

I get that the Marshawn Lynch rest days were team sanctioned, so maybe there is a difference there that warrants a fine or threat of a fine.

But do I give one care? No. Because he continues to play great in games, and he continues to show up at every practice to help his team. It doesn’t make any difference to me.

It’s also good to see that I was 100% correct on his reasons for sitting out on Friday.

Except the difference here is he is using this as leverage to push for a trade....he is all about himself as per his quote.

It’s not about “leverage” as much as it is limiting his risk. This is his contract year. If he gets seriously injured, his value will be reduced. Neither the Seahawk, nor the Cowboys, nor anyone else will offer him a big contract if he suffers a serious injury.

I think he’s earned some faith and trust that he knows what needs to be done to get himself ready to play on game day, as long as he continues to be at practice and meetings to help his teammates prepare.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawknation2018":h54ifwhj said:
Cyrus12":h54ifwhj said:
hawknation2018":h54ifwhj said:
chris98251":h54ifwhj said:
This is pretty anti team.

I get that the Marshawn Lynch rest days were team sanctioned, so maybe there is a difference there that warrants a fine or threat of a fine.

But do I give one care? No. Because he continues to play great in games, and he continues to show up at every practice to help his team. It doesn’t make any difference to me.

It’s also good to see that I was 100% correct on his reasons for sitting out on Friday.

Except the difference here is he is using this as leverage to push for a trade....he is all about himself as per his quote.

It’s not about “leverage” as much as it is limiting his risk. This is his contract year. If he gets seriously injured, his value will be reduced. Neither the Seahawk, nor the Cowboys, nor anyone else will offer him a big contract if he suffers a serious injury.

I think he’s earned some faith and trust that he knows what needs to be done to get himself ready to play on game day, as long as he continues to be at practice and meetings to help his teammates prepare.

Except he is on a big contract at 500,000 a game and practice, as I stated whats to stop the next guy from using the 2 year window or all the team from saying they won't practice becasue they have to be healthy game day or for next year for F.A. or their net beig contract.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
chris98251":3jwmzo0w said:
hawknation2018":3jwmzo0w said:
Cyrus12":3jwmzo0w said:
hawknation2018":3jwmzo0w said:

Except he is on a big contract at 500,000 a game and practice, as I stated whats to stop the next guy from using the 2 year window or all the team from saying they won't practice becasue they have to be healthy game day or for next year for F.A. or their net beig contract.

If you don’t trust them to be ready, then you fine them.

Shaz

Reaction score
Resign him immediately.

All you Mel Kiper wannabes saying "Trade him", stick to Arena League and avoid the NFL entirely

Decimation

Reaction score
Lol? Are you joking? He’s been an entitled brat who held out when our team needed him. And we should resign and and give him the money he wants? Which is what it appears is all he cares about.

Shaz

Reaction score
Decimation":yw87sk0r said:
Lol? Are you joking? He’s been an entitled brat who held out when our team needed him. And we should resign and and give him the money he wants? Which is what it appears is all he cares about.
He's played every game so far, leads the team in turnovers and is the highest rated safety in the league currently.

You're incredibly terrible at this.

getnasty

Reaction score
This is tough, Earl is a stud and maybe my favorite player but if we don't plan on signing him then let's trade him. Him misses practice for anything and everything and then playing just breeds a bad culture around the young guys.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Earl is like a modern day version of the Spartan soldier Achilles. Even though you may have some animosity towards him, when it's time to go to war, you're glad he's on your side.

massari

Reaction score
Shaz":1i2v7gvo said:
Resign him immediately.

All you Mel Kiper wannabes saying "Trade him", stick to Arena League and avoid the NFL entirely
I'll take the cap room and high draft pick(s) over a 30 year old safety who's causing a ruckus and wants a huge new contract, thanks.

Durability and speed are likely to fall off the cliff at any time now.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm in the much ado about nothing camp on this. What ultimately matters is that he is playing great on game day, and like sausage what ultimately matters is the final product. I have no problem continuing to play Earl for the rest of the season while seeing if we can agree on a reasonable extension, and then either letting him walk or exploring a franchise tag/trade next off-season. Maybe that isn't best for the 2022 Seahawks club but I'll be attending a bunch more games in 2018 and they are a lot more fun when we're winning and at least in the hunt for a playoff spot.

Whether we trade Earl before then depends on what we're being offered in return. Personally, I'd take the Cowboys 2019 1st round pick due to their current struggles but anything lower than that would require multiple picks. And I still don't see why the Cowboys would make that trade so I'm not expecting a trade to actually happen.

Decimation

Reaction score
Shaz":2muls01d said:
Decimation":2muls01d said:
He's played every game so far, leads the team in turnovers and is the highest rated safety in the league currently.

You're incredibly terrible at this.

I’m incredibly terrible at this? You make me laugh.

Get it through your thin skull. He’s unhappy because he wants to make more money. He doesn’t care about the team at ALL.

But sure, let’s give him a big contract to someone like him, it has solved our problems in general. That will solve everything. Want to run a front office together? We could be a good duo.

Thankfully someone like you doesn’t run the team. Because you would fall on your face like you are right now.

Not going to lie, but you’re terrible at this my guy.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Some of the stalemate is because of the current safety market, Earl's age and so few teams (including us) having much cap $ right now. But he really hurt himself IMHO by being his own promoter, pitchman and trying to find leverage points through all his many antics. You know that used car salesman that tells you how great a car it is, all about the fantastic warranty, how they can make the payments fit your budget and that the sale is ending soon? Yeah that guy makes me uncomfortable, wish he'd just back off. Besides I don't really want to buy a new car, the one I've got is nice and the lease ain't up for a while, cheap payment too. Maybe next year.
JSPC hold all the cards in this deal. Earl made this all about business and protecting himself, the front office has to do the same thing and watch out for the teams future interest. They should start by fining him for missing practice, retro & in the future. If they think he's worth a 1st, hold to it, if they offer a contract be prudent whatever his demands are, (Kam). Use the franchise tag when the time comes & play hardball. This could set a precedent with the players one way or another, might hurt the locker room in the short term but could stop/slow future incidents.

Off the cuff, a new contract close to what ET wants with signing bonus would pay him a bunch more than if he plays out this contract and ends up being franchised. All the while he gets older and his value steadily drops. This is his chance, right now.

Here are the 2018 franchise tag designations (rounded)
QB 23.2
RB 11.8
WR 16
TE 9.8
OL 14
DE 17.1
DT 13.9
LB 15
CB 15
S 11.2
K/P 4.9

See why Earl's so POed? Yeah that and the respect factor. I guess I can respect a used car salesman if he sells enough cars to make a living. Even if some people really can't afford them and they breakdown right after the warranty runs out.
Car salesmen give me a headache. Hey Earl if you get a headache don't sit out and pay a big fine, just take a couple ibuprofen, they work pretty good. Gotta go somebody just walked on the lot.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
After a morning of reports that Thomas could be fined or traded, he told reporters after the game that members of the Cowboys coaching staff asked him pregame if he was ready to get traded Monday.

“I don’t know if they were joking or serious or not,” Thomas said. “I was just minding my business in my routine and they came up and a couple guys said something.”

Thomas had a huge game, with two interceptions and seven tackles. He bowed to the Cowboys’ sideline after the second.

“That was just in the moment,” Thomas said. “If they were going to trade for me, they should’ve did it.”

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll was vague after the game when asked about Thomas future. The free safety missed two practices for the Seahawks last week. Carroll did hint that there was news to come in the near future.

“I haven’t even talked to him about it, other than we made it through and we talked last week,” Carroll said. “There’s nothing to even tell you about it right now. I’ll let you know next week.”

https://q13fox.com/2018/09/23/after-sea ... ce=twitter

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Some of you are interesting.

Thomas has a job that involves running as fast as he can and slamming into someone running as fast as they can, often the opposite direction.

As the Deadspin piece points out, his team has no incentive to preserve him beyond the season. So they can treat him like a rental car, wearing him down and potentially getting him injured. Thomas knows if he gets injured again, he has no contract. So he is preserving himself.

But...

If you haven't noticed, Thomas has a lot of his sense of self wrapped up in his ability to play football. No matter how unhappy with his team he is, he would never let himself play the game without going full out at 100%. He need to make an impact on game day, his perception of his own value depends on this.

You read the articles on this guy and you read about a guy that has a problem even separating himself from football. Even his wedding he was talking about it. To worry that because of a contract issue he would produce less than he is capable of is reading it wrong.

So if he doesn't want to practice, it doesn't seem to affect him. For most people that increases the injury risk but he seems to know his body and his play is not a problem. He might have saved the game with the 2 picks (though that is offset by the TD he would have given up but for Zeke stepping out of bounds for no reason).

Thomas needs to be loyal to himself. It is his health that he is risking. And given his production as literally one of the most important players on our defense? Seems weird to complain about him.

We can keep him or trade him, but we don't get to complain about the product he delivers because he is one of the best in the game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
This is where football fans need to separate the pro sports environment from their own life. It's not the same, and really not even similar in almost every aspect.

I don't begrudge Thomas, nor have I ever begrudged any athlete who uses their bargaining power to get more money. He's been open about it. He's been honest about it. And he's giving the Seahawks the opportunity to make a decision.

The fact he plays and balls out is all the better

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, he certainly is balling out. Some of the things he's saying are pretty annoying but meh, it is what it is.
That being said, him clearly not so much as looking at Pete when Pete was trying to celebrate with him seemed pretty weak.