Earl Thomas best defensive Seahawks player ever?

razor150

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":2xh5zunm said:
Easley was Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor.

I was going to say that, Easley had the range of Thomas, and could hit like Chancellor. He was also an INT machine. He was also a team leader, just like Kam and Earl. If you asked me which player I would prefer on today's defense and I wouldn't even hesitate and pick Easley.

pmedic920

Reaction score
scutterhawk":nvcbhq61 said:
Maulbert":nvcbhq61 said:
I think Easley is the best. He would have been a HoF lock if he had played 4 more years at a mediocre level. He only lacked longevity. Hell, Ronnie Lott (yes, that Ronnie Lott) said Kenny Easley was the best safety to EVER play the game. I honestly think he belongs in the Hall of Fame, and I think he was the most talented player in Seahawks history.
THIS ^^^^
I love me some ET, but when you get REAL sound bites from REAL experts like Ronnie Lott, it lends a lot of credibility to the discussion.
To those who've never had the experience of watching Kenny Easley ripping it, you've been shortchanged.

Yea but.....
Lott never played against an ETIII team,he can't offer a "REAL" sound bite.

I'll stand by my earlier post.
When ETIII is done playing, we can all look back and decide who was best, until then it seems impossible to say. At the very least, it seems unfair. This is coming from a huge fan of Kenny E. and Tez.
My only real point is, we may or may not have seen the best that ETIII has to offer, how can we chose at this point in time?

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":igxy0wa4 said:
Although there is lots of love I think people may understate the importance of a player of Thomas' abilities to our passing scheme. While Sherm has unbelievable skills in his own right, Sherm's game depends on having a guy like Thomas in the middle. He just isn't as effective when not playing that left side in cover 3. That's not to say he is a bum when he travels into the slot but just to say Sherm's greatness is much more scheme dependent than Thomas'. I think Sherm may not be in the league if he was drafted by the Saints compared to an almost sure HOFer for the Seahawks whereas Thomas would be a multiple Pro Bowler on any team in the league.

I think free safeties are also just difficult to appreciate because much of what they do we don't see or never materializes. If a free safety does their job then the QB doesn't throw their way. Earl Thomas not getting picks should not be an indictment - it means he is in the right position and QBs aren't throwing his way often. Compared that to JJ Watt who, when he does his job, get lots of attention.

Therefore, I think it will be difficult for Thomas to ever surpass Kennedy because of differences in eras and positions (and the opportunity for a defensive MVP) but he will be a solid second with Sherman and Easley close behind.

Also, I think not penalizing Easley a bit for longevity isn't quite fair. When you play like Thomas and Chancellor combined - you're gonna have a short shelf life - especially with pain management and trainers they had in the 1980s. That being said, I think Easley will go in the Hall of Fame as a veteran's committee selection in the future.
I agree. We're not seeing him because he's so good--offenses stay away from him. His speed takes a huge part of the field away from the offense, allowing the dbs to give their full attention to the rec. He's also the qb on defense, so his contribution is not going to be as splashily obvious as the guys who are getting picks because of his play.

GO HAWKS!

vin.couve12

Reaction score
As for best CB ever, I might pick Green. He was still running a 4.3 and killing it when he was 97 years old. lol

He'd have to at least be in the discussion.

Largent80

Reaction score
ET's extrordinary play in 2013 enabled us to WIN the SB.

Easley was great but his story ended way too soon. To me ET has already passed him as a Hawk.

Kennedy was a war horse for terrible teams. He will be passed by ET, and maybe as soon as this year if Earl plats like 2 years ago.

Tical21

Reaction score
vin.couve12":h9gw7lgf said:
As for best CB ever, I might pick Green. He was still running a 4.3 and killing it when he was 97 years old. lol

From the players I have personally witnessed, Sanders, Green, Revis at his best and Rod Woodson are on tier-1. Sherm is right on the top of tier-2 with guys like Haynes and Aeneas Williams. I couldn't comment on Blount, Lott, Lane, etc.

You can get Sherm on the comeback whenever you want it, and you can get him on crosses if you're quick enough. Part of this is scheme, sure. But are you EVER going to throw a comeback at Deion Sanders? Sherm may be the smartest corner to ever play and may have the best anticipation ever at the position, but he isn't the same weapon as a Sanders or Woodson.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":1pirjdkf said:
scutterhawk":1pirjdkf said:
Maulbert":1pirjdkf said:
I think Easley is the best. He would have been a HoF lock if he had played 4 more years at a mediocre level. He only lacked longevity. Hell, Ronnie Lott (yes, that Ronnie Lott) said Kenny Easley was the best safety to EVER play the game. I honestly think he belongs in the Hall of Fame, and I think he was the most talented player in Seahawks history.
THIS ^^^^
I love me some ET, but when you get REAL sound bites from REAL experts like Ronnie Lott, it lends a lot of credibility to the discussion.
To those who've never had the experience of watching Kenny Easley ripping it, you've been shortchanged.

Yea but.....

When ETIII is done playing, we can all look back and decide who was best, until then it seems impossible to say. At the very least, it seems unfair. This is coming from a huge fan of Kenny E. and Tez.
My only real point is, we may or may not have seen the best that ETIII has to offer, how can we chose at this point in time?
I think you have to take the supporting cast into consideration when making this evaluation....I mean, with Chancellor, Browner/Maxwell & Sherman bolstering the Secondary duties (LOB), and then you have Easley and ?....And to add, Easley also had some Sacks, Hits & Hurries, along with a few Int's. on his resume.... all this in a shortened career, to me?, he still he holds the edge.
I do agree that when Earl Thomas finally does hang up his cleats, he and Sherman will have all the numbers to make it into the HOF. :irishdrinkers:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Tical21":1pbfb7it said:
vin.couve12":1pbfb7it said:

From the players I have personally witnessed, Sanders, Green, Revis at his best and Rod Woodson are on tier-1. Sherm is right on the top of tier-2 with guys like Haynes and Aeneas Williams. I couldn't comment on Blount, Lott, Lane, etc.

You can get Sherm on the comeback whenever you want it, and you can get him on crosses if you're quick enough. Part of this is scheme, sure. But are you EVER going to throw a comeback at Deion Sanders? Sherm may be the smartest corner to ever play and may have the best anticipation ever at the position, but he isn't the same weapon as a Sanders or Woodson.
Wow, just WOW!, I had no Idea that Woodson & Sanders had both played for the Seahawks, and are in THIS discussion for the "Best Defensive Seahawk Player EVER. :roll:

NINEster

Reaction score
pmedic920":fhkvh3fc said:
scutterhawk":fhkvh3fc said:
Maulbert":fhkvh3fc said:
THIS ^^^^

Yea but.....

Lott never played against an ETIII team? What does that mean?

Would be like saying that Russell Wilson never played against a Joe Montana team.....

Lott got to see the '85 Bears, '86 Giants and a bunch of other sick defenses up close. The boy knows football.......if he says Easley is a better safety than him, then who am I or most other football gurus to argue with him?

Who coached those '80s Hawks secondaries? I doubt any of those guys were as good as George Seifert let alone Pete Carroll.

pmedic920

Reaction score
^^^^^

It was directed at the "Lott"'sound bite on Kenny E.

Lott can't comment on ETIII from a players standpoint.

I think using his opinion of KE is kinda useless when we are talking about the possibility of ETIII being the best ever defensive Seahawk.
I don't discount his opinion of KE but he can't comment on both players.
That's all.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
For me the best defensive player ever for the Seahawks was Easley, but there sure wasn't much of a difference between him and Tez. I love me some Earl but he isn't yet at the level of pure ability the above two guys had.

On O the best ever was Walter Jones, he was a once in a generation LT.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
austinslater25":2oc0lj6r said:
I couldn't disagree more. Part of a CB's game is also stopping the run and that was an even bigger responsibility in Deion's day. He was terrible at it while Sherman is arguably the best in the league against the run. His advanced stats are also very similar to Sanders and he can't put his hands on the receiver like Sanders could. Sherman>Sanders.

Only name that comes to mind as decidedly better:

Browner

The Breh

Reaction score
Shermdog gotta be in the discussion.
We aren't goin to that Super Bowl if not for the tip seen round the world.
Shut idown half the field.
It's hard to do,pare Dline, corners and safeties. Completely different roles and responsibilities.

Meeker

Reaction score
Like others have said, if any current Hawk will be in the conversation it's Sherman.

Earl's status gets a boost due to the lack of competition at the position. If he played in just about any other era I'm not sure he would be viewed as an elite safety.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Meeker":1vcg8mpc said:
Like others have said, if any current Hawk will be in the conversation it's Sherman.

Earl's status gets a boost due to the lack of competition at the position. If he played in just about any other era I'm not sure he would be viewed as an elite safety.

On the show this morning, Brock called Sherman the best Hawk defensive player ever, fwiw.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Brock is right. Not sure why people are so reluctant to give Sherman his due. Even if you do have Easley or Thomas higher to not admit Sherman is right there and definitely in the conversation is strange to me. People went out of their way in this thread to say otherwise...raises an immediate red flag to me.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":wkrd3du6 said:
^^^^^

It was directed at the "Lott"'sound bite on Kenny E.

Lott can't comment on ETIII from a players standpoint.

I think using his opinion of KE is kinda useless when we are talking about the possibility of ETIII being the best ever defensive Seahawk.
I don't discount his opinion of KE but he can't comment on both players.
That's all.
Quite the contrary, having played the position himself, and where he is with regards to the HOF, I believe his experience and trained eye, makes him more qualified than the guy that wrote the article.