Earl Thomas leads all NFL defensive players in PFF grade

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":3lxjpun6 said:
So sign Earl to 15 million a year if he is making 10 million now and is the 5th highest paid safety, Top Ramen is expensive when feeding your family, HE IMPORTS HIS I ASSUME, and let Wilson walk is what it will come down to.

Now make that choice. Both make us better but can you afford both ?

For 5-6 years? No thanks. For 2-3 years, sure.

There in lies the rub.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":iipxg54i said:
chris98251":iipxg54i said:
So sign Earl to 15 million a year if he is making 10 million now and is the 5th highest paid safety, Top Ramen is expensive when feeding your family, HE IMPORTS HIS I ASSUME, and let Wilson walk is what it will come down to.

There in lies the rub.

It would most likely be a four-year deal, with most guaranteed money paid out in the first two years so that the final two years become essentially team options, as is the team custom.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2018":9fmhzf7i said:
Sgt. Largent":9fmhzf7i said:
chris98251":9fmhzf7i said:

There in lies the rub.

It would most likely be a four-year deal, with most guaranteed money paid out in the first two years so that the final two years become essentially team options, as is the team custom.

If you're trying to cram 40M+ guaranteed into a four year contract with most of the guaranteed money paid out in the first two years, that means more than 15M a year.

Believe me, John and Pete have done the math with what Earl wants, and it doesn't work. He wants 40M+ guaranteed, and the only way you get there without killing your cap over the next 2-3 years is to make it a 5-6 year deal so you can spread out the guaranteed money and bonus (Like Berry).

No thanks. Unless Earl lowers his demands, I'm not buying.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":npotcuri said:
hawknation2018":npotcuri said:
Sgt. Largent":npotcuri said:
chris98251":npotcuri said:

There in lies the rub.

If you're trying to cram 40M+ guaranteed into a four year contract with most of the guaranteed money paid out in the first two years, that means more than 15M a year.

Believe me, John and Pete have done the math with what Earl wants, and it doesn't work. He wants 40M+ guaranteed, and the only way you get there without killing your cap over the next 2-3 years is to make it a 5-6 year deal so you can spread out the guaranteed money and bonus (Like Berry).

I’m not sure where you are getting $40+ million guaranteed... was that speculation in an article you read?

The alternative if they cannot come to a long-term agreement (approximately $54 million, 4 years as is standard for the Seahawks, $13.5 million APY, a little more than half guaranteed) is the franchise tag, which is the team’s right.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2018":yueegjay said:
Sgt. Largent":yueegjay said:
hawknation2018":yueegjay said:
Sgt. Largent":yueegjay said:

There in lies the rub.

I’m not sure where you are getting $40+ million guaranteed... was that speculation in an article you read?

Yep, Earl mentioned Eric Berry's contract a few times last year, and has said numerous times this year that he wants to be "respected" as one of the best defensive players in the league.

Respect = pay me as much or more than the last dude.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/6/25/17 ... 2018-terms

Of course it's speculation, but it's all we have to go on, and I know I'm right cause it's the reason he hasn't been traded or signed here, his ridiculous demand to be the highest paid safety in the league.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3pr99ft1 said:
hawknation2018":3pr99ft1 said:
Sgt. Largent":3pr99ft1 said:
hawknation2018":3pr99ft1 said:

Yep, Earl mentioned Eric Berry's contract a few times last year, and has said numerous times this year that he wants to be "respected" as one of the best defensive players in the league.

Respect = pay me as much or more than the last dude.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/6/25/17 ... 2018-terms

Of course it's speculation, but it's all we have to go on, and I know I'm right cause it's the reason he hasn't been traded or signed here, his ridiculous demand to be the highest paid safety in the league.

OK, Earl never specified $40+ million, the length of Berry’s contract is not standard protocol for the Seahawks, which impacts the total guaranteed money, and we should be looking at % of guaranteed money on a four-year standard Seahawks deal.

If they can’t come to an agreement, because he wants more than the team can or will pay, then that’s fine. There is always the franchise tag.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3brjska5 said:
If they can’t come to an agreement, because he wants more than the team can or will pay, then that’s fine. There is always the franchise tag.

Agreed.

I'm not one of those "OMG he's a huge distraction just trade him already!" fans.

- We aren't going to the SB
- Pete obviously has no problem with the distraction
- Earl's balling out and helping us

So why not franchise him if he continues to play well and/or no one gives us what we want for a trade? That's another year of an All Pro safety and another year that another team might give us a 1st round pick.

FinNasty

Reaction score
rjas77":1honl89i said:
Hawksfan78":1honl89i said:
Agreed; pay the man! He does nothing but help the defense be better

Agree that he makes the team better, but, disagree in paying him...IMHO ET has made it clear he wants to move on from the Hawks

He wants to move on b/c you've refused to pay him and give him long term security up until this point...

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
FinNasty":n83ppymr said:
rjas77":n83ppymr said:
Hawksfan78":n83ppymr said:

Agree that he makes the team better, but, disagree in paying him...IMHO ET has made it clear he wants to move on from the Hawks

He wants to move on b/c you've refused to pay him and give him long term security up until this point...

No, the Seahawks made him the highest paid player at his position in the NFL when he agreed to his current contract.

Lots of players wait until the end of their contract to sign a new contract. Short of giving him a new contract now, for strategic reasons related to the cap, the Seahawks have bent over backwards to accommodate Earl Thomas: they dismissed some or all of the fines for missing all of OTAs, training camp, and preseason, they have reached out to his hometown team to get a trade deal done, they have authorized him to rest during certain practices (I.e. the last two Wednesday practices), they have even defended his sitting out a practice last Friday that was not authorized by the team, and they have left open the possibility that they will offer Earl Thomas a new contract.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
FinNasty":10ux4v7z said:
rjas77":10ux4v7z said:
Hawksfan78":10ux4v7z said:

Correct, and the rest of the league as well, as evident that no one's trading for Earl because of his extension demands.

I don't fault our FO for not wanting to be burned on yet another 3rd extension on a player that has a high probability of being hurt in the middle of his monster extension...................in the middle of a rebuild. Makes ZERO sense to pay him.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3r7ipj5s said:
as evident that no one's trading for Earl because of his extension demands.

And let’s not forget the reported first round pick the Seahawks are requesting in a trade. It’s not either/or. Both extravagant demands are obstacles to a trade.

The fact that the Seahawks reported trade demands are so high (a first round pick) could also be evidence that they plan to keep Earl Thomas beyond this season, via the franchise tag and/or contract extension.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawknation2018":bp6ryk2i said:
Sgt. Largent":bp6ryk2i said:

And let’s not forget the reported first round pick the Seahawks are requesting in a trade. It’s not either/or. Both extravagant demands are obstacles to a trade.

The fact that the Seahawks reported trade demands are so high (a first round pick) could also be evidence that they plan to keep Earl Thomas beyond this season, via the franchise tag and/or contract extension.

They did that same thing with Sherman though as well and nobody bit.

FinNasty

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ge2u2qu said:
FinNasty":3ge2u2qu said:
rjas77":3ge2u2qu said:
Hawksfan78":3ge2u2qu said:

Correct, and the rest of the league as well, as evident that no one's trading for Earl because of his extension demands.

I don't fault our FO for not wanting to be burned on yet another 3rd extension on a player that has a high probability of being hurt in the middle of his monster extension...................in the middle of a rebuild. Makes ZERO sense to pay him.

Well no one wants to give up big high draft picks AND a large contract. If he were a FA... I don't think he'd have a problem at all getting paid...

chris98251

Reaction score
FinNasty":2hf61uxy said:
Sgt. Largent":2hf61uxy said:
FinNasty":2hf61uxy said:
rjas77":2hf61uxy said:

Well no one wants to give up big high draft picks AND a large contract. If he were a FA... I don't think he'd have a problem at all getting paid...

Correct, but he is on a contract that was at one time paying him the highest salary, it's 5th highest now I think based on what someone said, he signed it and wants more now. Which is why if your doing that you need language that supports keeping you that high, he doesn't so he should honor what he signed. He is getting paid like a top Safety, we should be compensated with a pick that is a high pick for his services being transferred.

FinNasty

Reaction score
chris98251":1okssbxq said:
FinNasty":1okssbxq said:
Sgt. Largent":1okssbxq said:
FinNasty":1okssbxq said:

Correct, but he is on a contract that was at one time paying him the highest salary, it's 5th highest now I think based on what someone said, he signed it and wants more now. Which is why if your doing that you need language that supports keeping you that high, he doesn't so he should honor what he signed. He is getting paid like a top Safety, we should be compensated with a pick that is a high pick for his services being transferred.

He doesn't want more money now... he wants long term security. He doesn't want to be out there risking injury where if he blows his knee out and then promptly gets kicked to the curb.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2018":32ax8qo3 said:
Sgt. Largent":32ax8qo3 said:

I don't think it's the trade demands, I think it's the extension demands.

Why wouldn't a team rolling and competing for a SB want a player like Earl to anchor their defense, especially if they're in desperate need of a safety?

Multiple picks or a 1st rounder is not a large asking price............but his extension demands are.

So no, it's not worth a 1st for a one year, or now half year rental player. But it certainly would be worth a 1st rounder if you get Earl for the next 2-6 years.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
FinNasty":3w0kmp8n said:
He doesn't want more money now... he wants long term security. He doesn't want to be out there risking injury where if he blows his knee out and then promptly gets kicked to the curb.

I can't remember the last big extension for a star didn't start immediately.

It favors both the team and player for the extension to begin immediately. The team gets the cap relief, and the player gets what he wants immediately, more money.

So no, if we or any team gave in to Earl's demands, it doesn't mean he's still only making 8.5M this year. It'd start pro-rated immediately with a HUGE bonus.

Seymour

Reaction score
Earl is the 6th highest paid, which at the end of his contract verifies he was well paid at #1.

The top 2 are Berry, and you guessed it Chancellor at $13M, and $12M (we have 2 of the top 6 paid in the entire NFL)

Guess what else??

Neither is playing right now.....but lets just stick our heads in the sand and ignore that fact because we are EMO.

You bury that much cash at one position group and you suffer somewhere else, like league worst Oline....again and again. :pukeface:

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1umgj0h8 said:
hawknation2018":1umgj0h8 said:
Sgt. Largent":1umgj0h8 said:

I don't think it's the trade demands, I think it's the extension demands.

Why wouldn't a team rolling and competing for a SB want a player like Earl to anchor their defense, especially if they're in desperate need of a safety?

Multiple picks or a 1st rounder is not a large asking price............but his extension demands are.

So no, it's not worth a 1st for a one year, or now half year rental player. But it certainly would be worth a 1st rounder if you get Earl for the next 2-6 years.

It’s a combination of the two. A first round pick is a significant ask. Being paid as the highest paid safety in the game is also a significant price tag.

The Seahawks have reportedly received trade offers, including a reported 2nd round pick from the Cowboys. Therefore, the contract demand alone is not the problem, since they have reportedly received that offer.

Latest posts