Earl Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
There's a far better way to handle it is what's bothering the average fan...

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3bntk227 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/dannyoneil/status/945121187943809024[/tweet]

I feel sorry for those who are going to let this sour the rest of the season for them (be it one more week or four). Earl let his emotions get the best of him and didn't think about appearances. But I doubt it means he wants out of Seattle. If it weren't for the Wagner incident, this probably blows over a lot more easily.
Earl wears his emotions on his sleeve.

IMO, the situation with Wagner and what Wagner said by "Don't be jealous..etc" Earl may have felt that was a personal shot.

Earl was probably more emotionally hurt by that than he'll ever say.

The Wagner situation is in no doubt in my mind tied to why Earl said what he did today.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Uncle Si":j7zguurl said:
There's a far better way to handle it is what's bothering the average fan...

No, that's not what's bothering the average fan. What's bothering the average fan is that they interpreted Earl's comments literally, even though he SAID "when Seattle kicks me to the curb".

I agree there are better ways to handle it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Uncle Si":4sla76i2 said:
Maelstrom787":4sla76i2 said:
Scorpion05":4sla76i2 said:
RolandDeschain":4sla76i2 said:
Did Scutterhawk say something? All I see is:

Crying baby1

All I see is a response that doesn't directly, or logically breakdown why the critique of Earl is wrong

People have an issue with the professionalism of how he handled it. Can you name another player in recent NFL history that chased down another team's locker room after a victory and talked about joining them?

Is it wrong for fans to get mad? Some of whom literally budget to buy themselves(or their kid) an Earl Thomas jersey only for him to bash his team mate one week and publicly dismiss his own team the following week? In the midst of a playoff hunt?

The same team and coaches that helped you get your first ring and is paying you top dollar compared to other free safeties?

For once, I wish some reasonable discussions could take place on this forum. A lot of talking past each other. I completely get why people are upset with Earl. Seahawks fans were the same ones cheering on the team last week even when we were getting blown out. And making away games not seem as significant because of how well we travel

I think you're missing the point. Scutterhawk had a silly meltdown. The frequency of said meltdowns is indicative of the devolving level of discourse you speak of.

I understand why fans are upset. I disagree, sure, but valid points have been made.

He's not "critiquing" Earl, he's basically having a temper tantrum and quite literally calling him an asshole.

If that's the type of discourse you're looking to defend, I'd like to direct you to twitter comments on a bleacher report article.

You disagree that going to your opponents locker room after the game and telling the coach of said team to "come get you" isn't unprofessional and disrespectful to the team your playing for?

You find logic that supports that action?

What is it?

Before I answer, I just want to say that given the content of my post that you're quoting, this is a strangely unrelated rebuttal you've made. But whatever.

I don't necessarily find logic that "supports" it, I don't see any that warrants this many grown men acting so personally offended, either.

I don't think he honestly meant "I want out of Seattle now, get me immediately." I think it was more of a friendly gesture made because this is Earl's hometown team that he grew up loving.

I took his explanation at face value because he's earned it. He's not saying he wants out, he's saying that if the team moves on, Dallas would be a hell of a place to play and a dream come true.

I am not personally offended by this. I am not going to call him an asshole. I see no need to care about this statement.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1eqs132c said:
Earls just forcing Seattle's hand when acting like this. He's fed up with it and wants out. Comments and actions like that assure him that he will be. I personally just think that Earl wants to win and he can see that's not going to happen in Seattle anytime soon because nothings going to change. Pete won a Super Bowl and has a free pass from Paul Allen until he wants to leave and until he does, the team will be stuck with the same old crap coordinators and tired philosophy. Good luck to you Earl. You deserve better.
Thank you.

I fully agree with this.

Earl is thinking, Kam and Sherm will be gone soon and if there aren't coaching changes, things won't change.

Earl is beyond fed up.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2uy03ols said:
Uncle Si":2uy03ols said:
Maelstrom787":2uy03ols said:
Scorpion05":2uy03ols said:
All I see is a response that doesn't directly, or logically breakdown why the critique of Earl is wrong

People have an issue with the professionalism of how he handled it. Can you name another player in recent NFL history that chased down another team's locker room after a victory and talked about joining them?

Is it wrong for fans to get mad? Some of whom literally budget to buy themselves(or their kid) an Earl Thomas jersey only for him to bash his team mate one week and publicly dismiss his own team the following week? In the midst of a playoff hunt?

The same team and coaches that helped you get your first ring and is paying you top dollar compared to other free safeties?

For once, I wish some reasonable discussions could take place on this forum. A lot of talking past each other. I completely get why people are upset with Earl. Seahawks fans were the same ones cheering on the team last week even when we were getting blown out. And making away games not seem as significant because of how well we travel

I think you're missing the point. Scutterhawk had a silly meltdown. The frequency of said meltdowns is indicative of the devolving level of discourse you speak of.

I understand why fans are upset. I disagree, sure, but valid points have been made.

He's not "critiquing" Earl, he's basically having a temper tantrum and quite literally calling him an asshole.

If that's the type of discourse you're looking to defend, I'd like to direct you to twitter comments on a bleacher report article.

You disagree that going to your opponents locker room after the game and telling the coach of said team to "come get you" isn't unprofessional and disrespectful to the team your playing for?

What is it?

Before I answer, I just want to say that given the content of my post that you're quoting, this is a strangely unrelated rebuttal you've made. But whatever.

I don't necessarily find logic that "supports" it, I don't see any that warrants this many grown men acting so personally offended, either.

I don't think he honestly meant "I want out of Seattle now, get me immediately." I think it was more of a friendly gesture made because this is Earl's hometown team that he grew up loving.

I took his explanation at face value because he's earned it. He's not saying he wants out, he's saying that if the team moves on, Dallas would be a hell of a place to play and a dream come true.

I am not personally offended by this. I am not going to call him an asshole. I see no need to care about this statement.

What's difficult to comprehend?

You disagree that people are upset with Earls comments. There is no issue with context. the timing and how it was done were shitty.

Simple

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Uncle Si":ajy6rosp said:
Maelstrom787":ajy6rosp said:
Uncle Si":ajy6rosp said:
Maelstrom787":ajy6rosp said:

What is it?

You disagree that people are upset with Earls comments. There is no issue with context. the timing and how it was done were shitty.

Simple

I do not disagree that people are upset with Earl's comments. It's clear that many are. I just think it's pretty silly.

Again, think it's shitty all you want. Whatever floats your boat. I don't really care. The post you're replying to was critical of the manner in which these complaints against Earl were being levied rather than the complaints themselves, which is why your reply was rather irrelevant.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The post quite clearly states you disagree with their reactions and their opinion. Nothing irrelevant about the reply.

If you don't care then don't reply. To any of it.

Anthony!

Reaction score
strohmin":nehaptgn said:
lol I can believe how delusional some of us hawks fans are thinking that the players owe us their complete loyalty. Earl has given his heart and soul to this team and I wish nothing but the best for him. I would much rather have Kam, Sherman, Wagner and Thomas till they retire than I would Russell. The defense has shown they can literally carry a team to a superbowl. Russell hasnt shown me that he can carry this team consistently. His play is too erratic and unorthodox for the offense to establish any consistency. I would have much rather have a game manager type qb who can give the defense some sort of breather than go 3 and out 80 percent of the game.

hmm so for all pro HOF playes carried this team on defense. Hmm remind me othe than Rw how many all pro HOF players are on offense? answer NONe. FYI we dont win the Sb without Rw either. Now you basically are saying in you rmind such that it is all the offensive problems are Rws fault. Hmm to bad the facts show you are wrong

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Dallas already has a pretty damn good FS too in Byron Jones (the freakiest athlete in the NFL and a few years younger than Earl Thomas). Safety seems like the least of their concerns on defense.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":175thb4a said:
Earl Thomas was a huge part of bringing our first Superbowl Trophy to Seattle.

Darrell Bevell was a huge part of losing a Second Superbowl Trophy

Who are we pissed at again?

It's a in the moment pissed at Earl, not long term pissed at Earl. Team before all else for me as a fan.

As fans we identify with team before anything else, it's hard to see this from the business side of things, of course we want all our favorite players to take discounts or we want the team to be able to resign them but thats one of the complex things about football, you can't keep everyone.

People say were overreacting but it seem like it's Earl who's overreacting to possibly moving on.

He's not loyal to the team? Nah it's not that, he's just starting to realize that if he wants all that money he claims he may have to start over somewhere else.

I think its the realization that we prob won't resign him, and ultimately the Seahawks are better off with it so I'm okay.

The Kam signing was a flop. Still a great player, still an awesome part of Seahawks sports history but realistically perhaps not a part of the future.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
People are reading a lot into this, aren't they?

Seattle ELIMINATED Dallas from playoff contention. He went to their locker room to be classy and made a comment about wanting them to sign him down the road if Seattle kicks him to the curb. It's a business, after all.

Earl's explanation makes total sense:
The biggest thing when I say 'Come get me' is, I don't literally mean like, 'Come get me now.' I'm still in the prime of my career. I still want to be here, but when Seattle kicks me to the curb, please -- the Cowboys -- come get me. That's the only place I would rather be if I get kicked to the curb. So that's what I meant by it. People take life too serious. That's just who I am."

Earl makes clear that his #1 choice is to remain in Seattle. Plenty of fans have speculated about trading him and other members of the L.O.B. So why he shouldn't be thinking about that possibility down the road?

Again, stop being so insecure. Earl says he wants to be here. He played a hell of a game today. That's good enough for me.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1nz6t0ct said:
Uncle Si":1nz6t0ct said:
Maelstrom787":1nz6t0ct said:
Uncle Si":1nz6t0ct said:

What is it?

Simple

I do not disagree that people are upset with Earl's comments. It's clear that many are. I just think it's pretty silly.

Again, think it's shitty all you want. Whatever floats your boat. I don't really care. The post you're replying to was critical of the manner in which these complaints against Earl were being levied rather than the complaints themselves, which is why your reply was rather irrelevant.

Don't you ever wonder why you're always on the other side of the majority thought though?

Some of these things must not be as unusual as you claim, just a thought.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1cxpsnxv said:

Seattle ELIMINATED Dallas from playoff contention. He went to their locker room to be classy and made a comment about wanting them to sign him down the road if Seattle kicks him to the curb. It's a business, after all.

The biggest thing when I say 'Come get me' is, I don't literally mean like, 'Come get me now.' I'm still in the prime of my career. I still want to be here, but when Seattle kicks me to the curb, please -- the Cowboys -- come get me. That's the only place I would rather be if I get kicked to the curb. So that's what I meant by it. People take life too serious. That's just who I am."

Earl makes clear that his #1 choice is to remain in Seattle. Plenty of fans have speculated about trading him and other members of the L.O.B. So why he shouldn't be thinking about that possibility down the road?

Again, stop being so insecure. Earl says he wants to be here. He played a hell of a game today. That's good enough for me.

The timing is shitty.

The overreaction is just that. But you can't overlook how unprofessional it was regardless.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3b1suein said:
Don't you ever wonder why you're always on the other side of the majority thought though?

Why should he? That's a logical fallacy called argumentum ad populum.

Earl says he wants to remain in Seattle and would only consider Dallas if Seattle "kicked him to the curb."

A lot of the same fans who complain about this have also suggested trading or not re-signing Earl this off-season. To me, that seems a bit hypocritical.

Aw Mang

Reaction score
hawknation2017":35xzggb3 said:

lol maybe you are the one who is reading alot into it. He went to their locker room to be classy? Yea I have a bridge to sell to you. Wanna buy?

Again if he wants out, he could talk to his agent about it. That’s how business is done, right? Chasing Garrett down just to say come and get me is just, odd. Have you seen any player did what Earl did? His explanation later in your post, imo, is just backpedaling after he realized what he had done.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1y8cr5o6 said:
hawknation2017":1y8cr5o6 said:

The timing is shitty.

The overreaction is just that. But you can't overlook how unprofessional it was regardless.

I just don't agree. If they had lost, it would have been "shitty." As it stands, he said this to a team Seattle had just eliminated from making the playoffs. Plenty of people have speculated about not extending or trading Earl.

He says he "loves being here" and "doesn't want to leave." But that's not necessarily in his control.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":jx38fmv5 said:
Maelstrom787":jx38fmv5 said:
Uncle Si":jx38fmv5 said:
Maelstrom787":jx38fmv5 said:

Simple

I'm not a contrarian, by any means. I'm not pulling hot takes out of my ass.

On this issue, I may be in the minority, but it isn't an exceedingly small minority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts