"Enough With Russell Wilson!"

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I am glad Wilson is out there being the face of the franchise. Love his parting shots at NCSU. Leaving for Cali to meet up with the Skills players to prepare for another Championship off season.

Also most of the negative stuff comes from the media wonks. Which is perfect. The more they doubt the bigger the mountain he will create. You can see the fire in RW eyes the he not only believes he will be the best but he will do everything it takes to be it. Baring injury he should be able to get into that conversation as one of the NFL's all time best.

Smellyman

Reaction score
AsylumGuido":2x5t1vgw said:
I've got to say that I have heard nothing to respect from Saints fans for Wilson, as well. I have always been a Wilson fan, myself. I went to NCSU and have closely followed his career since he was there. It's the same reason I follow Philip Rivers.

only because he fawns all over Brees

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
When he is asked to get the job done in the air, he can do it and he makes it look easy. There are only a few games where I look at RWs play and think he struggled. I am talking about at SF in 2012 (and there were 4-5 drops, at least one was a TD) and AZ at home in 2013. There was another in there somewhere.

If the defense is playing well and the running game is getting it done, there just isn't much of a reason to throw the ball that much.

He does not have a nervous bone in his body, coolest head I have seen from any Seahawks QB ever. He can make the laser, the bomb, the fade, the shovel, the slant and any touch pass it takes. He is elusive and handles pressure like the best in the business. He rarely throws a pick that is solely on him. He goes through his reads and uses every receiver available, never focusing on one. There are times when open receivers don't get the ball, but every QB does that. The guy is far more than a game manager, but has played the game manager role to perfection. Dilfer? Really?

This kid won a Super Bowl in his second season and was the biggest reason for the Hawks getting over the hump from the 2011 team. He is not the kind of guy that regresses and his best days are ahead of him as a player.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Smellyman":2nvpw8tc said:
AsylumGuido":2nvpw8tc said:
I've got to say that I have heard nothing to respect from Saints fans for Wilson, as well. I have always been a Wilson fan, myself. I went to NCSU and have closely followed his career since he was there. It's the same reason I follow Philip Rivers.

only because he fawns all over Brees
Well if the man has to have a hero or person to emulate Drew Brees is a damn good choice.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
v1rotv2":1epgcviz said:
MadSweeney":1epgcviz said:
MizzouHawkGal":1epgcviz said:
Jealousy smells so sweet yes? Manziel can't hold Wilson's jock just trust that. He's this generations Ryan Leaf at best. At worst? It could get ugly Bradford ugly.
How could you possibly have Bradford as worse than Leaf? Sam's been mediocre on some bad teams and been injured, but Leaf imploded on and off the field. The only other guy who comes close as a bust is Russell (Jamarcus that is).

She may have meant it the other way around. ......Bradford at best and then Leaf ugly. That would make more sense to me.
I did get that reversed a bit but not in the way you think. Both are bad but Bradford is worse given he's an injury walking from Oklahoma to present and have convinced the Rams to not draft an actual quarterback 2 times in 3 years while having the 2nd pick BOTH times!

Be honest now the Rams with RG3 or even Bridgewater would surpass the 49ers at worst.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
v1rotv2":2ti3sfze said:
MadSweeney":2ti3sfze said:
MizzouHawkGal":2ti3sfze said:
Jealousy smells so sweet yes? Manziel can't hold Wilson's jock just trust that. He's this generations Ryan Leaf at best. At worst? It could get ugly Bradford ugly.
How could you possibly have Bradford as worse than Leaf? Sam's been mediocre on some bad teams and been injured, but Leaf imploded on and off the field. The only other guy who comes close as a bust is Russell (Jamarcus that is).

She may have meant it the other way around. ......Bradford at best and then Leaf ugly. That would make more sense to me.
I did get that reversed a bit but not in the way you think. Both are bad but Bradford is worse given he's an injury walking from Oklahoma to present and have convinced the Rams to not draft an actual quarterback 2 times in 3 years while having the 2nd pick BOTH times!

SirTed

Reaction score
:242735:

2 things:

1. I do find the fact that "Russell Wilson Wants to be Best Ever" was a headline on ESPN. Not his fault at all but that's just ridiculous. Of course he does.

2. I DO think Wilson is a game manager. He's just the best one, and it just so happens that that's exactly what we need.

Relax - here's what I mean:

Do you honestly think Wilson would as successful a quarterback if he dropped back and threw as often as Rogers / Manning types? No way, sorry. Not his game.

Do you think Wilson has the body to withstand called run plays as frequently as Cam Newton? Not a chance.

Here's what he is / does, though. He's a 1st Downs MACHINE. And the best part about him is that he's at least capable of achieving that 1st down in so many ways, with incredible arm strength, mobility and creativity. He's never going to put up huge "numbers" as far as his own statistics go but he's going to be the KING of T.O.P. most seasons, and that's exactly what we need.

So, when I hear the term "Game Manager", I think to myself: Yes, he is. Yes he does. He manages the game. He dictates the game. He controls the game. The Super Bowl to me is the perfect Russell Wilson game. Although we struggled to punch it in early, we moved the ball with relative ease, up and down the field, occasionally chunking huge yards but mostly just frustrating our opponent with 3rd down after 3rd down conversion.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SirTed":154bj878 said:
:242735:
1. I do find the fact that "Russell Wilson Wants to be Best Ever" was a headline on ESPN. Not his fault at all but that's just ridiculous. Of course he does. .

It is his fault, cause he's the one that keeps saying it.

SirTed

Reaction score
I guess I mean I'm not sure why it's headline worthy. Don't most, or even every player want to be the best?

themunn

Reaction score
SirTed":2hvdhgym said:
I guess I mean I'm not sure why it's headline worthy. Don't most, or even every player want to be the best?

Something I've noticed about American sports culture is that everybody wants to be the best but nobody wants you to admit it. You're supposed to be humble about your talent and thank God for every day that you're there because he's the reason you've made it, not you.

It's why the whole Sherman thing took off, nobody liked to see him say "I'm the best" even though he is the best.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SirTed":2wkquqwb said:

Of course they do, but Russell makes a point of reiterating it over and over to the press.

Which is fine, but that's where the headlines are coming from.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Am I the only one that doesn't think everyone wants to be the best? Some people I think want to be good, have a career, and make money. Others will say it, but it's little more than lip service. To me, it's all about that action boss. Do you really want to be the best? Well, okay, then why are we seeing pictures of you out partying all the time? Ya who says you can't have fun, but there's a lot of bad things that can come from it. Why don't you take a little more pride in personal fitness to make sure you can stay healthy and on the field? Why are you even perceived as being distant from your teammates? Those who truly want to be best leave no stone unturned, hitting all the details. There's probably four people I know for sure do this: Brady, Brees, Manning, and Wilson. There's a difference between a)being talented and working pretty hard, and b)putting every ounce of your being into being the best.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
brimsalabim":pzhtpif4 said:
Must be a Washington thing. He is pretty much still disrespected every where else. Just Friday I was listening to The Lebatard show and some draft guru discuss Johnnie Football and when asked he compared Manzeiles ceiling to Russ's. LeBatard said that's not a very high ceiling and the whole show had a big laugh. One of the other guys chimed in that Johnnie would need to find a team with a defense and a running back that carries him in order to have NFL success too.

It bothers me some that Wilson isn't credited to the level he should be. He gets lumped in more with the Dilfers than with the Steve Youngs of the league. I bristle when I here the new Brown's coach being interviewed about his QB situation, and he goes on to say that if you don't have that elite guy who can win a SB for you, you need to build a strong defense and running game 'like Seattle did with Russell Wilson'. The inference is that Russell's not the guy those that actually pay attention know him to be. With the game on the line, needing points to win, he's the Grim Reaper. Sure, there have been a couple instances where a team feeling Russell's scythe coming for their heads has been given a 2nd chance to live that day, but more often than not, they die, and the Hawks win.

In spite of his unflinching, calm in the face of the storm, put-it-on-my-shoulders mentality, coupled with his history of coming up big to win more games than lose when he's been tasked with needing to score to win, Wilson is still believed to be 'less than' by so many.

The more strategic side of me wants this mentality to continue across the league. For example, if we were to ever face the Browns in a meaningful game, and their coach still believes leaving the ball in Russell's hands is the safest strategy, I'll sit back, grab my popcorn, and watch Russ chalk up another 'W' for us. :snack:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HuskerHawk":32b6jkfw said:
.............Do you really want to be the best? Well, okay, then why are we seeing pictures of you out partying all the time? Ya who says you can't have fun, but there's a lot of bad things that can come from it............
Kaepernick, you listening?

Smellyman

Reaction score
HuskerHawk":22wlwek8 said:
Am I the only one that doesn't think everyone wants to be the best? Some people I think want to be good, have a career, and make money. Others will say it, but it's little more than lip service. To me, it's all about that action boss. Do you really want to be the best? Well, okay, then why are we seeing pictures of you out partying all the time? Ya who says you can't have fun, but there's a lot of bad things that can come from it. Why don't you take a little more pride in personal fitness to make sure you can stay healthy and on the field? Why are you even perceived as being distant from your teammates? Those who truly want to be best leave no stone unturned, hitting all the details. There's probably four people I know for sure do this: Brady, Brees, Manning, and Wilson. There's a difference between a)being talented and working pretty hard, and b)putting every ounce of your being into being the best.

some people have the skill set like Wilson to be the best.

others are more realistic and know they don't have the talent.

try as I might, I knew I could never be the best qb of all time. Charlie whitehurst knows this as well

brimsalabim

Reaction score
A lot of basketball guys used to want to "be like Mike". Yes they wanted to be great like Mike but they weren't willing to do the work Mike put in in order to be great. They didn't want to play defense like Mike or practice shooting free throws like Mike or run sprints like Mike did. In the end most of them only wanted to make the flashy dunk like Mike and that's as close as they ever got.

The great ones put in the exhaustive effort to be that way because they are so driven that they can't even contemplate the alternative.

One thing we have learned about our QB so far is that no one out works him. So when he makes a statement like this I believe he truly means it.

MadSweeney

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1uo4ab3v said:
v1rotv2":1uo4ab3v said:
MadSweeney":1uo4ab3v said:
MizzouHawkGal":1uo4ab3v said:

Be honest now the Rams with RG3 or even Bridgewater would surpass the 49ers at worst.
That doesn't change the poor Leaf/Bradford analogy. Leaf was a disaster on and off the field that ruined his team for 8-10 years due to the fact that they traded a lot to move past AZ (who weren't going to take him anyway). Set the team back a decade. StL has overachieved a few years but I doubt many QBs would've fared well in that horrible Oline, talented but distracted WRs, past his prime RB and bad coaches. Quite the opposite, the Rams gained one of the best (sane) draft deal trade packages for RG3, so that puts them way ahead of Chargers/Leaf scenario.