EPL 2014-15 Season

Seabhac

Reaction score
Liverpool hoping to add new scapegoat in January
Dirty Tackle
December 27, 2014
by Brooks Peck
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has made it clear that the club will spare no expense to bring in a new, world-class scapegoat during the January transfer window.

“Mario [Balotelli] and Simon [Mignolet] and some of the other players have done a tremendous job of keeping the blame from falling solely on myself so far this season,” Rodgers told reporters in a room decorated exclusively with paintings of himself, which he has dubbed “The Brendan Room.” “But if we’re going to have an underwhelming run-in to the season, they’re going to need some help from a player or two who really know how to underachieve spectacularly.”

Currently ninth in the table and eliminated from the Champions League after the group stage, Liverpool have struggled to match last season’s form, which propelled them to a second-place finish and earned Rodgers the LMA Manager of the Year award. Now, Liverpool are hoping to spread the blame.

“Our scouts are working hard to identify our January targets,” Rodgers added. “We’d love to bring in a Fernando Torres type or a Hatem Ben Arfa — someone who could really provide a huge distraction from the larger issues I’d rather not deal with. After all, 85 percent of perception is 92 percent perspiration. I just made that up right now. Feel free to put it on a T-shirt with a picture of me looking off into the distance. Maybe with some wind in my face. I don’t know. I’ll leave that up to you.”

When asked what kind of budget he will have at his disposal, Rodgers said, “What’s a budget? I’m imagining it’s some kind of Subway sandwich, but that just might be because I’m hungry and Mr. Henry told me to mention Subway sandwiches more during my press conferences.”

Uncle Si

Reaction score
1366019435464370_animate.gif

Smurf

Reaction score
Steven Gerrard to LA Galaxy is the rumor.

Tomorrow Gerrard will announce this is his last season at Anfield.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":jzw0ek9t said:
Smurf":jzw0ek9t said:

#sadderday. Been on the cards for a while. Would prefer him to just retire and go to the back room as a coach or assistant or something, but he'll do well in MLS, I reckon. One of the all-time Liverpool greats, but his best days are well behind him, and as evidenced today, we're better off without him in the starting XI.

hopefully this was his way of telling the manager he cant play in the PL regularly. How you change the lineup that dismantled Swansea is beyond me... had a fair shout of going within 3 of 4th place on the day as well.

anyways, Gerrard is and will be for a long time my favorite player, and i'm happy hes moving on his own terms. while retiring a Liverpool player exclusively with a walk out of the park on the last day wouldve been ideal.. a move to the MLS is basically the same thing

SeatownJay

Reaction score
How much attention do English soccer fans pay to the MLS (my guess is very little to none, but am curious)? And would Gerrard coming over affect that do you think?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2nldx1n0 said:
How much attention do English soccer fans pay to the MLS (my guess is very little to none, but am curious)? And would Gerrard coming over affect that do you think?

Fans in England probably pay little (no) attention. English league fans in the US probably use the MLS games to see some of their heroes. I'd drive the 7 hours to Chicago or KC in the Summer to see Gerrard play. little interest otherwise.

Gerrard coming to the MLS will be akin to maybe Henry coming, but not Beckham.

Im sad to see it come to an end, as anyone is when their sports heros move on from the game. But he's not elite, hasnt been for a few years, and a strong case can be made that his very presence has held the team back this year. I think the manager has suffered for it. Not Gerrards fault by any means, but imagine being the Liverpool manager that has to bench one of its greats? its been a battle all season.

The timing of this is in favor of the manager. it frees Gerrard to sign is pre-contract (hopefully in the US). It also allows the manager to make a strong case for the owners to improve the team in January, and possibly secure his direct replacement.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
ofcourse we are level with Wimbledon at half with 90% of our starting lineup

Seabhac

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2pghc3mh said:
Uncle Si":2pghc3mh said:
ofcourse we are level with Wimbledon at half with 90% of our starting lineup
At least you're not going to lose 3-0 to a League One side.

You can't be talking about United...because we lost 4 nil......

Seabhac

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2cnezh49 said:
Smurf":2cnezh49 said:

#sadderday. Been on the cards for a while. Would prefer him to just retire and go to the back room as a coach or assistant or something, but he'll do well in MLS, I reckon. One of the all-time Liverpool greats, but his best days are well behind him, and as evidenced today, we're better off without him in the starting XI.

So Its going to be the Galaxy for Stevie Me.......He can drive around LA in his Aston Martin/Bently like the big time Charlie he is.

I'm glad it's not the Sounders - that would have created serious moral and personal conflict issues.

Seabhac

Reaction score
Question for Uncle Si and the other L'pool fan on here:

Do you think Liverpools ownership are doing right by Gerrard? As much as I don't like him, I do respect his loyalty to Liverpool and no doubt the amazing contributions he made throughout the years. I would have liked to have seen them make a spot for him or found a way to keep him at the club.

Seabhac

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":c4jt88sx said:
Seabhac":c4jt88sx said:
peachesenregalia":c4jt88sx said:
Smurf":c4jt88sx said:

So Its going to be the Galaxy for Stevie Me.......He can drive around LA in his Aston Martin/Bently like the big time Charlie he is.

I'm glad it's not the Sounders - that would have created serious moral and personal conflict issues.

Shelve it, twat.

Stick it up your arse sideways you silly plank

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seabhac":5zo6pjp1 said:

Do you think Liverpools ownership are doing right by Gerrard? As much as I don't like him, I do respect his loyalty to Liverpool and no doubt the amazing contributions he made throughout the years. I would have liked to have seen them make a spot for him or found a way to keep him at the club.

No doubt he will be missed. Had the team itself been stronger around him I think he may have etched a better role for himself in the team. But he's slowed considerably and sadly the current squad needs a player more like what he was in his 20s.

I do think the new ownership may have assumed a bit in how to deal with him though. Here in the states we quite easily let our aging stars go. We have accepted the crueler side of the business principles involved in sports. European football however is far different. It covets heroes, embraces them and will even forgive their diminishing skills for honor and loyalty. In this FSG may have missed a vital point.

It is now extremely important they protect his legacy while finding his successor. While Hendo may be the new captain and Sterling the new spark, Liverpool need a new box to box playmaker..... By Jan 31

Seabhac

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3l4kogls said:
Seabhac":3l4kogls said:

No doubt he will be missed. Had the team itself been stronger around him I think he may have etched a better role for himself in the team. But he's slowed considerably and sadly the current squad needs a player more like what he was in his 20s.

I do think the new ownership may have assumed a bit in how to deal with him though. Here in the states we quite easily let our aging stars go. We have accepted the crueler side of the business principles involved in sports. European football however is far different. It covers heroes, embraces them and will even forgive their diminishing skills for honor and loyalty. In this FSG may have missed a vital point.

It is now extremely important they protect his legacy while finding his successor. While Hendo may be the new captain and Sterling the new spark, Liverpool need a new box to box playmaker..... By Jan 31

Agreed

Seabhac

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2ixldaop said:
. Gerrard is making the right decision for him, come to the states, be a top player in a shite league and make ridiculous money for the next 5 years, then he can come back to Liverpool as a coach.

I guarantee there'll always be an open door for him at Anfield.

He might find the going a little tougher than he expects. I know Ozzie will give him hell....

Seabhac

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1nwqeqxr said:
Seabhac":1nwqeqxr said:
peachesenregalia":1nwqeqxr said:
. Gerrard is making the right decision for him, come to the states, be a top player in a shite league and make ridiculous money for the next 5 years, then he can come back to Liverpool as a coach.

He might find the going a little tougher than he expects. I know Ozzie will give him hell....

Eh, I just can't see it. Gerrard will feel like he's in his 20's again against the majority of shite players that make up the MLS teams.

Should be interesting

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seabhac":1hxcvh0x said:
peachesenregalia":1hxcvh0x said:
Seabhac":1hxcvh0x said:
peachesenregalia":1hxcvh0x said:

Eh, I just can't see it. Gerrard will feel like he's in his 20's again against the majority of shite players that make up the MLS teams.

Should be interesting

im excited for it. Im not sure the MLS game suits his particular skill set. But unlike Beckhams arrival, I think his opponents will play respectful towards him while his teammates excel around him.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Is Yedlin a Seattle native and/or a Seahawks fan? Because, FWIW his Spurs squad number is 12. Probably a total coincidence, either had the number assigned by the club or chose a number with 2 in it, being a right back, but I like the Seattle reminder in seeing the 12 when he plays anyway.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkspur":2o7in9ml said:
Is Yedlin a Seattle native and/or a Seahawks fan? Because, FWIW his Spurs squad number is 12. Probably a total coincidence, either had the number assigned by the club or chose a number with 2 in it, being a right back, but I like the Seattle reminder in seeing the 12 when he plays anyway.

Seattle native for sure. Bellevue I believe. no idea if is a coincidence or not though

Latest posts