ESPN rates Wilson the 8th best QB

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
It seems like a fair rating of QBs for last year, but if I was projecting forward to the best QBs in 2015, I'd rank Wilson ahead of Brees and Rivers. I don't think the #8 ranking is insulting to Wilson though.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3pcluci2 said:
I do think Luck is a little high, but you have to remember this a poll of GMs and coaches. While I think he still plays too recklessly, you cannot deny the fact that he has every "tool" that is desired in a Franchise QB. From a desirability standpoint, I can't begrudge any personnel guy who has Luck near the top of the list, even if I think he and Russ are actually a lot closer when you factor in intangibles and producing results.

I don't think you can really argue against any of these other guys. Sure, many of them are on the downslope, but as a reflection of TODAY, it seems pretty fair.

I guess if you are looking for an even worse postseason Manning than Luck is def your guy :D

You know whats funny...Luck allready has half of the INTS(12) Peyton does in the playoffs (24) in 1/4 of the games Manning has played in.

Although I guess you can still suck in the playoffs and win a championship like Manning.... 3TD/7INT with a 70.5 rating in his superbowl winning postseason :pukeface:

I will keep on hating Luck until he can actually do something in the postseason. Dont care where they rank Wilson as long as he brings home that trophy

HawkMeat

Reaction score
HawkNuts":2fxiefhk said:
You could argue for him anywhere from 5-9.

Seems fair to me.
I concur with this. Argument can be made for any one of those positions, ranking

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Why do I get the feeling Schneider and Carroll ranked Russell 32nd? Trying to drive down that price! :stirthepot:

idahohawk

Reaction score
I love Russ, and I'm even a major fanboy. But I think this is more than fair. I just don't see how you justify anything higher based on what he's done. He has had the luxury of dominant defenses, and an elite RB.

After the Holmgren interview, I'm officially on the side of the Seahawks have made a more than fair offer. If he chooses to turn it down, and hold the team hostage, whatevs.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
idahohawk":2xmqrbqu said:
I love Russ, and I'm even a major fanboy. But I think this is more than fair. I just don't see how you justify anything higher based on what he's done. He has had the luxury of dominant defenses, and an elite RB.

After the Holmgren interview, I'm officially on the side of the Seahawks have made a more than fair offer. If he chooses to turn it down, and hold the team hostage, whatevs.

Yup, I trust Holmgren and while I am not a major fan of Wilson himself, I am a fan of what he brings to this team but that gets soured when I think of the possibility of him holding the team hostage and is willing to sacrifice the talent around him that are a big part of making him who he is.

I'm not going to say get rid of him because I do believe he is an elite level talent and very difficult to replace but if he is so committed to his own personal benefit that he is willing to hurt the team I love dearly, it will firmly push onto the side of not liking or rooting for him.

Good luck with your endorsements when your fans no longer want to see you on TV or radio.

idahohawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1mg7dh2h said:
idahohawk":1mg7dh2h said:

Yup, I trust Holmgren and while I am not a major fan of Wilson himself, I am a fan of what he brings to this team but that gets soured when I think of the possibility of him holding the team hostage and is willing to sacrifice the talent around him that are a big part of making him who he is.

I'm not going to say get rid of him because I do believe he is an elite level talent and very difficult to replace but if he is so committed to his own personal benefit that he is willing to hurt the team I love dearly, it will firmly push onto the side of not liking or rooting for him.

Good luck with your endorsements when your fans no longer want to see you on TV or radio.

+1

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawknation2015":38kyif9e said:
Popeyejones":38kyif9e said:
HawkFan72":38kyif9e said:
hawkfan68":38kyif9e said:
Having Andrew Luck in the first tier discredits the ESPN ranking. .

I agree. They are trying too hard to make him the new face of the NFL elite QBs.

These rankings come from Sando having polled NFL coaches, GMs, and personnel evaluators.

If there's a conspiracy to make Luck appear better than he is, it's coming from opposing coaches, GMs, etc.

What's their motivation?

They're buying into the hype. Luck has not played well in the playoffs, throws a lot of INTs, and is not as accurate as any of those other seven QBs on this list.

Okay. If you believe that NFL coaches, GMs, coordinators, etc. are wrong about Andrew Luck and you're right that's a matter of opinion, and can't really be debated.

If you look at my response above and what I was responding to though, I wasn't arguing with their opinion, I was objecting to the opinions of NFL talent evaluators being falsely attributed to a conspiratorial ESPN hype machine.

All that said, needless to say, I do trust their ability to evaluate players more than I trust yours, or some blowhard mothing off on SportsCenter.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
HawkFan72":cb2u187i said:
hawkfan68":cb2u187i said:
Having Andrew Luck in the first tier discredits the ESPN ranking. Luck is very good but not first tier at this point. Just my 2 cents.

I agree. They are trying too hard to make him the new face of the NFL elite QBs. He will likely get there with time, but he's not there yet.

If Neckbeard shaved off his neckbeard, would he...could he be the new face of the NoFunLeague?

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
Here is how I rank QB's, Wins. Who in the last two to three years has had more wins? Supposedly this is a bottom line business but not when it does not fit the preconceived notions.

Also the NFL brass coaches and coordinators have a bias towards a prototypical height so they will give a nod to someone almost exclusively based on that. That is why RW get the responses he gets from them. They held it against him in the draft and they still do.

How many times in the last couple of years have the Hawks run game been hemmed up and then RW starts doing his thing and then Marshawn gets going It really is synergistic. Like cable stated they do need each other and there should not be a knock on RW for that.

Also I do question some of the bias of RW in the pocket. If you watch any QB in this league and if their line starts stuggling to maintain a pocket almost everyone to a tee starts faltering and getting happy feet. I would say that the two best QB's at handling that pressure are RW and Ben. You have to be able to trust the line play in a manner that will allow you to stay there, for the most part the Hawks are not built that way, and may never be because of what they want to do.

Brady when his O-line was struggling was playing like crap and everyone was ready to say the end was near, everyone forgets that now because they won it all. So winning is really what matters.

Everyone one of the QB's have a weakness how you compensate for it is what really matters.

I cannot wait for this season I think it is going to be very special.

Last note, I was listening to M-Rob yesterday and he said one very telling fact, he stated that when the team was playing like crap and at halftime RW was running around saying we are going to win this game and truly believes that it make the whole team believe.

So pay the man and lets move on :thirishdrinkers:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1tq5w56k said:
hawknation2015":1tq5w56k said:
hawkfan68":1tq5w56k said:

I agree. They are trying too hard to make him the new face of the NFL elite QBs.

These rankings come from Sando having polled NFL coaches, GMs, and personnel evaluators.

If there's a conspiracy to make Luck appear better than he is, it's coming from opposing coaches, GMs, etc.

What's their motivation?

So then you believe all the hype about how bad the 9ers are going to be then?

You can't have it both ways.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RichNhansom":wtmezv2d said:
Popeyejones":wtmezv2d said:
hawknation2015":wtmezv2d said:
hawkfan68":wtmezv2d said:

What's their motivation?

So then you believe all the hype about how bad the 9ers are going to be then?

You can't have it both ways.

:lol:

Several things:

1) You'd be talking about a poll of people who make their living by being more accurate than others in predicting teams future records, not people who make their living by more accurately than others being able to evaluate players' ability.

2) You're still missing my basic point about the difference between an ESPN conspiracy to prop up Luck and the polling of talent evalutors around the league. Again, media == hype; anonymous GMs/Coaches/Coordinators == informed belief (which may or may not be wrong, but isn't conspiratorial and isn't merely "hype"). This isn't complicated.

3) Rather than dragging the thread off-topic, have you not learned by now that I'm not gonna take the bait? :lol:

4) To answer your question before going back to ignoring it, I've said what I think about the 9ers and their transitions plenty of times in the appropriate threads. That's all on record. If you want to post with me about it, post in those threads.

:th2thumbs:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
[According to an anonymous head coach, “He is not a 1 [tier]. He cannot win the whole thing. Is that why they are not paying him? I think you could make an argument to put him down as a 3, but I would say he is a 2. The running back and the tight end can help him. If you can make the game one-dimensional for him where he has to be a total pocket passer, it gets tough.”

Bruce Arians is getting crusty in his old age.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":3cj06qju said:
Then you want to get into playoff details....... :lol:

3-3 Record, 56% completion, 9TD/12INT 70.8 rating.

So hold up...you are telling me...in 6 playoffs games so far a guy who is barely above a 70 QB rating is the 3rd best QB in the entire league

EwZ8L

You really want to go down that road when Wilson had 4 INT in the NFCCG and the game ending pick in the Super Bowl?

If Andrew Luck had this defense and Marshawn Lynch.. he'd absolutely have a ring by now.. maybe even two.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
EntiatHawk":z2w53r0x said:
Here is how I rank QB's, Wins. Who in the last two to three years has had more wins? Supposedly this is a bottom line business but not when it does not fit the preconceived notions.

Very misleading category considering the supporting cast Wilson has to deal with. Swap Wilson and Derek Carr and I'm guessing Carr wins much more than 3 games and Wilson a lot less than 12.. does that mean one guy is better than the other? No.

I have no problem with Wilson being lumped in with Roeth, Rivers, Brees and Peyton.. you can make cases for all of them to be in one slot or the other.

canfan

Reaction score
Sounds about right. People forget that he is just entering his 4th year and still has things to learn about the game at the pro level. He is just entering the prime of his career and should continue to get better over the next 3 to 4 years. Its not his skills that will improve - its his recognition of defenses and situational football that is going to continue to get better.

camdawg

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":q5do9xrn said:
WilsonMVP":q5do9xrn said:

So hold up...you are telling me...in 6 playoffs games so far a guy who is barely above a 70 QB rating is the 3rd best QB in the entire league

EwZ8L

You really want to go down that road when Wilson had 4 INT in the NFCCG and the game ending pick in the Super Bowl?

If Andrew Luck had this defense and Marshawn Lynch.. he'd absolutely have a ring by now.. maybe even two.

Sorry, but LOL at "definitely". Did you watch Luck vs. Dallas? How about Luck vs. New England-plenty of games to choose from there. How about Luck vs. the Rams, if you think Russell's been bad against them at times? Or Luck losing to Jacksonville his rookie season. Seriously, if you're as All-World as Luck is billed to be, how do you lose to the Jags?

Yes, if Russ had the Indy D, the NFC Title game may have turned into Russell's first blowout loss. Are you aware of how many times Luck has been slaughtered by 30 points or more?

And it's not all the defense's fault. Luck is AT LEAST 50% to blame in those games. Several times, the Indy O has been held to single digit point totals while Luck's been their QB. That ain't the defense's fault. How many times has Russ been held to a single digit point total? ZERO.

Until the blowouts stop, which are very much his fault, Andrew's not winning ANYTHING, no matter what team he plays for.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
camdawg":18dso0kq said:
Hasselbeck":18dso0kq said:
WilsonMVP":18dso0kq said:

EwZ8L

Sorry, but LOL at "definitely". Did you watch Luck vs. Dallas? How about Luck vs. New England-plenty of games to choose from there. How about Luck vs. the Rams, if you think Russell's been bad against them at times? Or Luck losing to Jacksonville his rookie season. Seriously, if you're as All-World as Luck is billed to be, how do you lose to the Jags?

Yes, if Russ had the Indy D, the NFC Title game may have turned into Russell's first blowout loss. Are you aware of how many times Luck has been slaughtered by 30 points or more?

And it's not all the defense's fault. Luck is AT LEAST 50% to blame in those games. Several times, the Indy O has been held to single digit point totals while Luck's been their QB. That ain't the defense's fault. How many times has Russ been held to a single digit point total? ZERO.

Until the blowouts stop, which are very much his fault, Andrew's not winning ANYTHING, no matter what team he plays for.

the man digs holes for the D consistently with those INTs..... I love watching colts games, we bet on when and how many INT luck will toss.... makes for a fun drinking game, and that kid has got my buddies pretty smashed a few diff times.