ESPN REPORTS: Patriots HUGE cheaters and Goodell covered

Cartire

Reaction score
Wow. Just wow.

No one will trust the patriots again (like the ever did), and Goodell is done for sure.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/ ... iots-apart

Its a huge read, so if you want a more broken down version, read Deadspins synopsis.

http://deadspin.com/bombshell-espn-repo ... 1729286402

You should read the story immediately, but the thrust is this—citing interviews with 90 sources in and around football as well as primary documents, ESPN reports that Bill Belichick and the Patriots videotaped opposing teams’ signals from 40 different games from 2000 through 2007. And when the scandal broke, Goodell did everything in his power to protect Robert Kraft, who was one of his strongest supporters and without whom he would not have been named commissioner. The thesis statement in this story is that the cover-up—and if this report is accurate, the league’s actions can’t be called anything else but a cover-up—so rankled other owners that Goodell came down extra-hard on New England and Tom Brady for Ballghazi as “a makeup call.”

The Patriots’ defense for Spygate—when they we

There is so much in this story. Stealing signals, organizing and charting them. Stealing playsheets. Jamming headsets. The Patriots are such scum.

And to top it off, the whole OVERREACTION to deflategate was to make up for covering up spygate to the other owners.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
and they will get away with it again again and again....Not to mention 2 of the head cheaters will be in the HOF and taint that yellow coat they all get...expect this to be buried and no mention of it by Thursday.

Ozzy

Reaction score
The allegations are pretty damning. I want to say I would be surprised if this all goes away but everyone is probably right. I have to give the 2 guys who did the research for the report for breaking away from ESPN in some regards and bringing this to light. Have to be some upset people in the building.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I told my Patriots buddy when he was bragging about Brady's suspension being overturned that this was NEVER about deflating footballs...............it was purely the other owners being sick and tired of the Patriots nonsense during the Belicheat era, so they wanted their pound of flesh.

All these stories do is prove what the other owners have known for years, the Patriots from top to bottom do whatever the hell they want and everyone's tired of it.

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
austinslater25":2oe9aq51 said:
The allegations are pretty damning. I want to say I would be surprised if this all goes away but everyone is probably right. I have to give the 2 guys who did the research for the report for breaking away from ESPN in some regards and bringing this to light. Have to be some upset people in the building.

Thats my question too. ESPN has always trumpeted for the NFL (IE, its #1 cash cow). While they'll report negative stuff only when its being reported everywhere else, they tend to NOT be the first ones to shine a light on negativity.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
This could have some really deep repercussions. Even for us. How do we know Butler didn't know what was coming at the end of XLIX? The Patriots were still cheating then. Had to be. More broadly: they were garbage at the beginning of the year and magically pulled it around for no real reason? We at least jettisoned Harvin. And the Patriots just happened to come back from 2 14 point deficits against Baltimore? Yeah, strange things happen but it is impossible to discount any of those things given the systemic cheating. At the very least, it becomes impossible to trust any defense the Patriots mount even if it wasn't caused by actual cheating.

And not to tear at healed scars, but let's go conspiracy theory: isn't it possible that the officiating in XL* was a make up to Pittsburgh for the AFC Championship game when the Patriots got away with cheating? I know that's tin foil given the timing of the tape release but how deep does this actually go? What did Tagliabue know? This is going to continue to unfold into new areas no matter what.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1nrqhpcc said:
This could have some really deep repercussions. Even for us. How do we know Butler didn't know what was coming at the end of XLIX? The Patriots were still cheating then. Had to be. More broadly: they were garbage at the beginning of the year and magically pulled it around for no real reason? We at least jettisoned Harvin. And the Patriots just happened to come back from 2 14 point deficits against Baltimore? Yeah, strange things happen but it is impossible to discount any of those things given the systemic cheating.

And not to tear at healed scars, but let's go conspiracy theory: isn't it possible that the officiating in XL* was a make up to Pittsburgh for the AFC Championship game when the Patriots got away with cheating? I know that's tin foil given the timing of the tape release but how deep does this actually go? What did Tagliabue know? This is going to continue to unfold into new areas no matter what.

I guess anything's possible, but wouldn't the Patriots AND the league officials be on the ball and best behavior after Deflategate?

Richard Sherman says he knows what routes the guy he's covering is going to run 50% of the time just by looking at the offensive formation and down, distance, situation...........so it's not a stretch that the Patriot's knew what we were trying to run on that last play.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3jvhorrh said:
Sarlacc83":3jvhorrh said:
This could have some really deep repercussions. Even for us. How do we know Butler didn't know what was coming at the end of XLIX? The Patriots were still cheating then. Had to be. More broadly: they were garbage at the beginning of the year and magically pulled it around for no real reason? We at least jettisoned Harvin. And the Patriots just happened to come back from 2 14 point deficits against Baltimore? Yeah, strange things happen but it is impossible to discount any of those things given the systemic cheating.

I guess anything's possible, but wouldn't the Patriots AND the league officials be on the ball and best behavior after Deflategate?

Richard Sherman says he knows what routes the guy he's covering is going to run 50% of the time just by looking at the offensive formation and down, distance, situation...........so it's not a stretch that the Patriot's knew what we were trying to run on that last play.

My point was more that nothing is off the table; not that it's assured. The fact they were still taping after 2006 muddies the waters sufficiently that one couldn't say with certainty they didn't tape our signals. We are about to find out how deep the rabbit hole goes, in other words because a lot of journalists are going to find out, and I'm engaging in some speculation on the fact partly because its fun, but partly so if I'm right, I can brag. :th2thumbs: )

(And for the record, I didn't think they cheated in XLIX, but now I wouldn't be so sure.)

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
lol at "Goodell is done"

If anything the way he came after NE for Deflate Gate made the owners happy again.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
They were caught deflating footballs last season, so that sort of defeats the whole "best behavior" theory right there. They were never exhonerated for the act itself, just the process by which Brady was suspended.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3gbhaf7b said:

I am usually very anti-conspiracy but man...

It sounds logical doesn't it?

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":5dq6ouyx said:
lol at "Goodell is done"

If anything the way he came after NE for Deflate Gate made the owners happy again.

Dude, You've got Blank making rumblings, and others owners gruffing anonymously. The PR nightmare wont be ending anytime soon.

The season might end up blinding everyone again, but I think this one is gonna stick.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Cartire":97h1l9yc said:
Hasselbeck":97h1l9yc said:
lol at "Goodell is done"

Dude, You've got Blank making rumblings, and others owners gruffing anonymously. The PR nightmare wont be ending anytime soon.

The season might end up blinding everyone again, but I think this one is gonna stick.

I sure hope so, I think Goodell is terrible.. but he's the owners mouthpiece for a reason.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":110cnk5x said:
This could have some really deep repercussions. Even for us. How do we know Butler didn't know what was coming at the end of XLIX? The Patriots were still cheating then. Had to be. More broadly: they were garbage at the beginning of the year and magically pulled it around for no real reason? We at least jettisoned Harvin. And the Patriots just happened to come back from 2 14 point deficits against Baltimore? Yeah, strange things happen but it is impossible to discount any of those things given the systemic cheating. At the very least, it becomes impossible to trust any defense the Patriots mount even if it wasn't caused by actual cheating.

So many huge repercussions in the entire NFL for this one cheating team. I dont have time to fully read this right now, but even the skimming of it makes me furious.

gargantual

Reaction score
drdiags":381on21q said:
Well as the Oakland Raiders used to say "If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying."
Yeah, with that attitude fueling the impulse to disregard or sweep away all the evidence (ie Godell), then out of the other side of their faces harping about drug use and the players being role models (I know it wasn't your quote Doc)......integrity just completely goes out the window.

I suppose it's exactly the same sort of inconsistency with the other "moral stances" the NFL likes to proudly trumpet. Making token attempts at window dressing, half-hearted PR campaigns about Domestic Violence and making the game safer.......while lobbying their tails off to extend the length of the regular season and other things which expose how hypocritical they are in the end.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
drdiags":3lcf9hjx said:
Well as the Oakland Raiders used to say "If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying."

IMO there's a difference between borderline conduct ON the field, and cheating off the field.

On the field the players and refs can control the environment and call penalties accordingly................not the case off the field as with the Patriots. And if they do get caught, their transgressions affected the outcomes of games making it too late to right the wrongs.

ringless

Reaction score
I just read the whole thing and wow!

This is a team that exploits every advantage they can get and will not stop at anything to find a way to win a game in an unfair manner. It has been non-stop cheating for around 14 years.

Bill should be banned from the NFL. Just plain and simple as he is obviously the one who has been responsible for it all. The cheating goes so deep in so many ways.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
ringless":3e25ic3i said:
I just read the whole thing and wow!

This is a team that exploits every advantage they can get and will not stop at anything to find a way to win a game in an unfair manner. It has been non-stop cheating for around 14 years.

Bill should be banned from the NFL. Just plain and simple as he is obviously the one who has been responsible for it all. The cheating goes so deep in so many ways.

Yeah!! Kraft, Brady and Bellicheat should banned for life. This whole story makes me want to vomit. :pukeface: