Euro 2016

Uncle Si

Reaction score
RussB":3stwrsba said:
Wanna see how far cristiano can lead portugal this year.

Unfortunately, I don't think too far. The draw with Iceland was unfortunate. They will need to play well against two better teams in Hungary and Austria just to get a look at that #1 seed. If not, they are drawn into the B group 2nd place, which could be any of Wales/England/Russia/Slovakia. None of those matches are easy. Then from there its France more than likely...

They need to finish atop that table.

Boycie

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1hyo3516 said:
Indy Football (@IndyFootball)
6/16/16, 9:21 AM
36 fans arrested as England supporters clash with French police in Lille. @ianherbs reports

Just keeps going

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/15/england-and-russia-fans-brawl-in-lille-at-euro-2016

What do you think Ace? how do you penalize these two nations at this point? England wasn't even playing yesterday.

It's a separate incident Maude. I never once said English fans were angels. I said they didn't start the clash between them and the Russians. Maybe read my original post?

Are you going to mention the violence that happened between Ukranian and German fans leading up to their match? I doubt it, because you seem like you have an issue with the English. You can post all of the news links you want and try to feel intellectually superior because it seems like you have a desperate need to be right. I will defend the UK in this, and you will not change my view of it whether YOU feel that I should.

And in regards to penalizing these two nations, nothing will happen because France was involved.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
We've been discussing the violence between England and Russia and it sparked off again.

Your original post was of a prior incident. I wanted to get your thoughts on this one. Different incident, different circumstances, but a continuation of fighting between essentially the same groups.

Boycie

Reaction score
Not fragile, but resolute. You have a superiority complex, and the fact that you had to "get my thoughts" on another incident proves my last post about your penchant to "try" to always be right in your own mind. I get the feeling you don't like me, and that's ok by me, because I do not care much for you either.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ace,

You're a fan of England. Euros are a big tournament. This is a big incident. I didn't even offer an opinion outside of "it keeps going." I wanted your thoughts. 100s of arrests and the tournament is a week old.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Rooting for Belgium because they have the best beer and the best waffles.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":n035m6jw said:
Indy Football (@IndyFootball)
6/16/16, 9:21 AM
36 fans arrested as England supporters clash with French police in Lille. @ianherbs reports

Just keeps going

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/15/england-and-russia-fans-brawl-in-lille-at-euro-2016

What do you think Ace? how do you penalize these two nations at this point? England wasn't even playing yesterday.

It was English and Welsh fans, furthermore, if you look at a lot of the local footage going around it appears they're causing very little trouble (and in the instances where they are there's clear provocation), they're just being loud and obnoxious and the riot police resort to charging at them. From multiple media accounts (from sources who are usually quick to bash England supporters) it appears police have totally overreacted time and again in this tournament.

Two English supporters are in critical condition following clashes with Russians, and i don't know if you saw footage from inside the stadium but Russian fans actually infiltrated the English family area in the stadium and charged them, with women and children jumping barriers and falling not insignificant heights to evade trouble.

News outlets who have tried to make stories out of the trouble England supporters are causing have been quickly quashed by locals who have played down the trouble and you'll hear multiple stories of our fans protecting young families when the Russians went on a tear up.

English fans aren't angels, and a few of them escalate trouble, but they've been a victim of their reputation in this tournament so far and it's only Russia that have officially been given a suspended sentence. The images of french riot police charging at fans who were just singing the other night was ridiculous.

Mountains out of molehills mostly.

Anyway, as for the football. Very open tournament this one, nobody's impressed me that much and I guess you'd have to say the Italians have performed best so far but even their ever reliable defence looked shaky at times. There for the taking.

Great for Northern Ireland to get a win yesterday, small chance of qualifying now (as one of the best 3rd place teams).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I don't want to suggest I'm not critical of the Russians here. Their actions are criminal. I'm aghast that the World Cup will be there. I just didn't think the English were free of some criticism. As you guys said, not innocent. Surely not organized militants though. I recognize the stark difference. Do you think some of the reaction to the English fans is steeped in their history?

Hopefully the first round of arrests and deportations have rid the area of the troublemakers and the tournament can go on without incident.

Tournament is, as you said, open to anyone. I like England's resolve. Think Roy needs to get his lineup right to start from here out though. It's a talented team that could be set out with more balance and flair. But credit to him for his adjustments.

Nice win for N. Ireland. Disappointed in Ukraine as they have some nice players. But, along with Russia, another fan base knowone will miss when they depart.

France is still my pick. Just being the hosts. I don't think the Italians can hold up over the tournament digging in and countering. It will get them through, but I think a stronger German, French or English team would see them off.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3ao89my0 said:
I don't want to suggest I'm not critical of the Russians here. Their actions are criminal. I'm aghast that the World Cup will be there. I just didn't think the English were free of some criticism. As you guys said, not innocent. Surely not organized militants though. I recognize the stark difference. Do you think some of the reaction to the English fans is steeped in their history?

Hopefully the first round of arrests and deportations have rid the area of the troublemakers and the tournament can go on without incident.

Tournament is, as you said, open to anyone. I like England's resolve. Think Roy needs to get his lineup right to start from here out though. It's a talented team that could be set out with more balance and flair. But credit to him for his adjustments.

Nice win for N. Ireland. Disappointed in Ukraine as they have some nice players. But, along with Russia, another fan base knowone will miss when they depart.

France is still my pick. Just being the hosts. I don't think the Italians can hold up over the tournament digging in and countering. It will get them through, but I think a stronger German, French or English team would see them off.

France have looked pretty average in the final third and have very little firepower up front. Giroud's a donkey, they miss Benzema. They'll struggle to outscore the first team they come across who have a bit about them upfront.

Germany have lost their mojo, and Spain have a similar story to France (be interesting to see how they get on tonight). Italy are far too inconsistent and Belgium did themselves no favours when they didn't sack Wilmots after the World Cup; the man is utterly useless and has the tactical nous of a pube.

Portugal were my outsiders at the start of the tournament, came into it with great form. I'm not going to write them off yet but what a vile team they have. Pepe and Ronaldo have to be the two most punchable footballers in the world right now.

If England can play with the confidence they did in the first half against Russia we can go far, hopefully we'll kick on from the win against Wales, a little bit of momentum will take a team deep into this tournament.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Christiano Ronaldo continues his amazing form. After hitting the post on a penalty shot, he now has 17 shots in the first two games and no goals.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
So who set up this bracket? Germany, Spain, Italy, France, and England are all on the same side.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Iceland is just killing it. A nation of 300k people and the games continue...

Boycie

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":297kc7fx said:
Iceland pulls off the upset over England.

A country of 300,000 people, and they can produce a team like that, and in Canada we can't even qualify for the World Cup. Makes me shake my head at how inept we are at footie.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":31qryz33 said:
Hawk-Lock":31qryz33 said:

A country of 300,000 people, and they can produce a team like that, and in Canada we can't even qualify for the World Cup. Makes me shake my head at how inept we are at footie.

On top of that, the Iceland coach is a part-time dentist :lol:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":3qqu7hra said:
Hawk-Lock":3qqu7hra said:

Canada is an interesting set up. We get some very good players from there down here with our DAs. And I know the youth set up is very organized, consistent in its messages and funneling talent to the top. Is it just a lack of players?

Boycie

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3s5yna2e said:
Ace_Rimmer":3s5yna2e said:
Hawk-Lock":3s5yna2e said:

Canada is an interesting set up. We get some very good players from there down here with our DAs. And I know the youth set up is very organized, consistent in its messages and funneling talent to the top. Is it just a lack of players?

We have a lot of talent up here in BC for sure. my son was in the Whitecaps pipeline and plays in our Premier League, and is just starting to get offers for college ball. He is holding out for down south somewhere, and I would love it if UW gave him a scholarship as it would make it accessible for us to see his home games.

We have a tonne of players in Canada but the philosophy has only made a shift (in BC at least) in the past few years with the implementation of the Premier League where we have paid qualified coaches teaching our kids.

Hockey plays a big role here, and it seems like that is where we pour most of our money and attention into which is a shame because there are some right good players in Canada that could make the jump to the pro leagues better if they had the right structure s in place to climb the ladder.

With the Premier League in BC, it is a start and we will only start to see the results here in the next few years as the first crop of graduating players will be coming of age(my son included).

Latest posts